Recruits

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Recruits

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't want to fire Hurley I love what he has done for our program so far...I do agree if we do not make the tournament atleast once the next two years with guys like EC, Hass, Garrett, Iverson then when will he? I'm 100% pro Hurley right now but that can change if we don't produce results.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

105, URI has made the commitment to winning in BB.

They have given Dan what he needs to succeed here. It's always tough though. URI simply doesn't have the resources to just write a blank check.

Thorr and Dooley are counting on Dan to produce NCAA appearances, which will generate more revenue that will help build the program even more.

But that won't happen until he does.

Hurley is building the talent base. No doubt about that. Now it's time to change the losing ways in big games. That's really the last step.

The hardest step, as we're seeing. Without that, all of the above isn't possible.

If Dan can start making the right adjustments and finish games, then anything IS possible. But can he? That's what we're all waiting for.

Then MY attitude will completely change.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Have to imagine Dan doesn't want to go 5 years without a bid. 6 years without a bid. 4 years without a bid.

His star fades every year that he doesn't dance because there are people dancing.

I don't think anyone is remotely or honestly talking about firing Dan.

I think people are just saying hey? Not much to see here. Wake us up when there is something. 20 win seasons with players everyone likes without the post season are the norm here.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah URI BB is very good at pumping out "hollow" 20 win seasons.

Beat the tar out of stiffs, and lose to the good teams.

Ask all the people who aren't going to the games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Have to imagine Dan doesn't want to go 5 years without a bid. 6 years without a bid. 4 years without a bid.

His star fades every year that he doesn't dance because there are people dancing.

I don't think anyone is remotely or honestly talking about firing Dan.

I think people are just saying hey? Not much to see here. Wake us up when there is something. 20 win seasons with players everyone likes without the post season are the norm here.
The "norm"? Really? Seems like that would mean it would happen pretty frequently...and like at least occasionally in back to back seasons. When were the last back to back 20 win seasons here? And, if it's been 5 years...is that really 'the norm'?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah URI BB is very good at pumping out "hollow" 20 win seasons.

Beat the tar out of stiffs, and lose to the good teams.

Ask all the people who aren't going to the games.
Except for the 7 total win season before Hurley arrived and the 8 win season in Hurleys first season when Billy bolted and Holton got dismissed and the Recruiting cupboard was bare.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm pretty positive We won 20 games from 2005-2010
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, we all know Dan gets a pass for his first 2 seasons here. At least I do.

It's not just the numbers, you should know that.

Dan will have us winning 20 games just about every year he is here. He is a good recruiter, there will be talent around.

20 games now means almost nothing. It's how many of those 20 were against good teams.

When was the last time we had multiple wins against good RPI teams?

Remember when Temple used to schedule most of their games against good teams, and a lot of them were on the road?

Those years, they would win 17-18 games and make the Dance. They would win the games that counted late in the year, especially in the conference tourney.

We win zippo against good teams. What's a good OOC win? Anybody seen one? League games? Yoo hoo, anybody home?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote:I'm pretty positive We won 20 games from 2005-2010
Of course we did, I posted the 7 and 8 win seasons as examples of how we don't necessarily automatically pump out 20 win seasons against cream puff schedules - that was the point
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

SG, my honest expectations after 18 games with E.C. would have been about 16-2 maybe 15-3, losses to Maryland and St.Joes being acceptable add a random if you like for 15-3, we were supposed to be the cream of the A10 crop were we not? So factor in the Valpo loss directly after the injury and add another random, if we sat at 13-5 now and had a couple more road wins, I'd say we rebounded nicely from the injury. I mean we are watching the same games yes? and you're fine at 11-7? not in the least bit disappointed with the lack of poise in waning moments of close games?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My biggest gripe with the late game fades, are the team stops doing what got them the lead late in the game.....what worked, or what was working....

They are being forced to play a style they simply aren't good at, and when the pressure is on at the end, they panic.

Dan panics. All hell breaks loose. The coach loses it, and the team loses. Well they do it together, a fine job I might add.

Every freakin' time.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If the team wasn't or isn't hovering around 20 wins then something is off. That something is not URI.

That goes for the past 20 years. You can't think 2011-2013 is normal. It was like Baron rowed a boat out to the HMS Gaspee in the middle of the night and set fire to the whole thing. Or that fire started a few years before. Who knows. But 20 win non-tournament teams are the problem and fairly common.

I mean former players on this board won't say a good thing about Baron. BUT, Billy Baron/Kyle Cain backing out killed that year. Then the next class with the murderer from NC 'killed' that year. Then. . . ppl on this board know. It was a 2-3 year run of just bad character guys that did what it did.

Expectations/hopes for URI may differ between fans that don't share the same perceptions of URI basketball. If there isn't anything weird going on, then I expect to dance 1/4 or 1/5 years and don't think that is asking for much.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yikes...sounds like a whole bunch of weird in the history there. Kinda glad to not have been around for it.

I'm actually thinking with this coach...stability...good guys on the team...and the positives heard on the next class coming in...1/4, 1/5 is less than what I'm looking for...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Running Ram wrote:SG, my honest expectations after 18 games with E.C. would have been about 16-2 maybe 15-3, losses to Maryland and St.Joes being acceptable add a random if you like for 15-3, we were supposed to be the cream of the A10 crop were we not? So factor in the Valpo loss directly after the injury and add another random, if we sat at 13-5 now and had a couple more road wins, I'd say we rebounded nicely from the injury. I mean we are watching the same games yes? and you're fine at 11-7? not in the least bit disappointed with the lack of poise in waning moments of close games?
I think your expectations were higher than mine - I don't participate in the prediction contest for work reasons, but I would have thought around 13-5, 14-4 or 15-3 around now. So to me, those records minus 3 or 4 wins seems in line with an injury to EC. They've mostly lost to better teams, and one important factor to me is that Maryland is really the only team that's beat the snot out of them. While it's frustrating that they've lost some of these close games, I do think they should get some credit for always fighting and being in a game, as opposed to suffering 10+ point losses.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"Patience is a virtue, often seen in women, seldom seen in men" Was a quote from my 5th grade teacher. I think were all being men here ,but then again, being a URI fan its easy to be impatient. My point is, we have a right to want success now. Dan knows that, thorr knows that. Our expectations are only created upon their effort. Just have to wait and see.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm guessing your teacher is a woman. Lol
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:I'm guessing your teacher is a woman. Lol
Must be...since the quote is:

Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Always good when you have to scroll up to the top to see what thread you're in, because the conversation doesn't seem at all related to the topic you thought you clicked on.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramfan85 wrote:I'm guessing your teacher is a woman. Lol
OOOH yea haha. Sorry So back to recruits...
0 x
GO RAMS