Hass

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hass

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Hass. story seems to be in a couple of threads. Maybe we can put it all here. Anyway, here's the latest, from Rothstein. URI's Hassan Martin (ankle) will undergo an MRI later today, Dan Hurley told @CBSSports. Will definitely miss time. How much is TBD.
12:48pm - 23 Dec 15
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Hass

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

will the nightmare ever end ?!?!?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Just another speed bump. The group will band together and outperform expectations.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Unreal, it's like everything that possibly could go wrong has.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

X Rays were negative. Suppose to miss at least next couple of games
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Just another speed bump. The group will band together and outperform expectations.
What's the expectations at this point?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Surfri72 wrote:X Rays were negative. Suppose to miss at least next couple of games
Poor Hass hope he has a speedy recovery.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good news though. Good to know he will be back for A10 play.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Just another speed bump. The group will band together and outperform expectations.
NCAA's!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:
NCAA's!
NCAA's
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Freshmen will get a speed course on extended minutes/D1 play.

Could this end up a blessing in disguise if Martin comes back strong?

Iverson will be forced to shoulder the load more as well.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Freshmen will get a speed course on extended minutes/D1 play.

Could this end up a blessing in disguise if Martin comes back strong?

Iverson will be forced to shoulder the load more as well.
And maybe...hopefully...we find that:
a) someone can shoot
b) he is allowed/encouraged to do so
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Four is clearly encouraged to do so.

We are getting the story for next year with all these injuries.

BACK HEALTHY 2016!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Four is clearly encouraged to do so.

We are getting the story for next year with all these injuries.

BACK HEALTHY 2016!
Four has difficulty getting his shot off if there is someone else in the gym that makes eye contact or gives him a hard glance. I meant "someone (anyone) else." :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Likely will miss at least the Brown and St. Louis games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Likely will miss at least the Brown and St. Louis games.

Probably puts both those games back in play now. The present lineup will not overpower anyone.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can we change our predictions again???........J/K!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Can we change our predictions again???........J/K!
Haha that would be depressing to see. Most people would predict 2-3 more wins tops.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think I predicted 11-7 revised.

That's the ceiling. If Hass comes back and plays well.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

At my daughter's high school game tonight, their only senior and team captain (good player too) - went down in agony end of first half. Bad ankle sprain / possible break. Does not look good for rest of season.

First thing I thought was "this is like watching URI this year...".

Poor kid. What a Christmas present.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

This will be interesting to see what happens in these few games with no Hass. Does the Earl train gather some steam? Does Four snap out of his funk? Does Iverson step up and show his team, coaches and the A10 why he was so highly recruited? Do the freshman make the biggest impact? Does JT answer Hurley's call out? Does Garrett start knocking down a few more jumpers and layups? Does Berry turn into Big Earl Brown overnight? A combination of a few things?? Or do the wheels begin falling off the bus? Let's find out!
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I know most people will disagree with me but I think Akele should replace Hass not Earl. Spread the floor, press a little bit, let the kids develop. And yes CT for 4.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:I know most people will disagree with me but I think Akele should replace Hass not Earl. Spread the floor, press a little bit, let the kids develop. And yes CT for 4.
No disagreement at all.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote:I know most people will disagree with me but I think Akele should replace Hass not Earl. Spread the floor, press a little bit, let the kids develop. And yes CT for 4.
What do you think the rebounding differential will be in most games?
Akele is a skinny 3 and you want him to play the 5. Get real please.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

According to the Phamlet, Koch article on Hass being out indefinitely and further testing.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

An MRI was scheduled for yesterday afternoon.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And they're going to further evaluate when the team get back from Christmas break, which is Saturday, I think.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Any chance Hassan goes for a medical red-shirt so him and EC have two more years together? I'm sure he's right at the threshold of games played to be eligible for a medical red-shirt....but if he's under I would certainly think about it.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URIGONZO wrote:Any chance Hassan goes for a medical red-shirt so him and EC have two more years together? I'm sure he's right at the threshold of games played to be eligible for a medical red-shirt....but if he's under I would certainly think about it.
No, he played 12 games. That's about 39%. He wouldn't get it.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody83 wrote:
What do you think the rebounding differential will be in most games?
Akele is a skinny 3 and you want him to play the 5. Get real please.
83, Akele at the 4, KI at the 5. Thinking long term here. What is coach's vision of the team for the future? Yes this may cost us a game or two short term, I get that. But what is Akele's future anyway? Next year they will have 6 guards, as things stand right now, looking for time (EC,JT,JG,CT,plus Robinson and Dowtin). The 3 guard slots are pretty filled. I see Akele as a stretch 4, and a big part of a pressing/attacking defense, and running offense. If that's the future, why not start now? I know we're thin, but with Hass this season is disappointing, without him who knows, so why not look to the future? Earl will get his minutes anyway.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I think Berry should get some minutes. I'm sure that there are reasons why he isn't playing, but the guy is a wide body, and probably the only guy over 200 lbs over than Earl that can play. Maybe he will turn in an "iffy" performance against Brown. Give him a chance.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I thought the same thing right when Hurley said its not good, thinking possibly Hass just redshirted and we develop the freshman. Sucks it's at 38%
Last edited by steveystuds06 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Akele at the 4 is a stretch period.

He's a 3, and I would think that's what he'll be in the future. KI and Watson will be the 4 and 5 for now. Berry will be the back up for them.

We have 3 4's and/or 5's coming in next season.

Plus, he's built like a bean pole. He'd get crushed at the 4.

Hassan could be out for a while. Those tests after he comes back are to test for ligament/tendon damage.

The thing that really sucks about that, besides him just being out, is that if those structures aren't torn, they could be stretched. Ligaments especially don't heal back into their original shape if there's no surgery to repair them.

That means that Hassan will be liable to get more sprains in that foot, because the ankle will always be more unstable. The "weak ankle" syndrome.

That's what happened to me. Of course I did more than stretch them, but you get the point.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night......
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

If berry doesn't get minutes at this point I don't understand why he's on the team....he clearly won't be playing next year. I figured he was here for this reason injuries. We need someone besides Earl and Iverson..Akele is a 3.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I think Berry will get 5-10 mins out of necessity - Earl has not shown he can play 20+ minutes without getting in foul trouble. I expect we will see some lineups with Kuran/Akele as our only front court players, possibly 5-10 mins/gm.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Bring in that walk on fball player that has a good 3 pt stroke
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah let's get some Rex.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

any update on Hassan?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The team is shooting 10% less than our opponents from the FT line while taking 50% more FTs. Playing fewer players more minutes will only make these numbers worse. It is the single biggest factor hurting this team's success (bigger than EC's OR Hass's injuries individually). HM, KI and EW are bricklayers from the FT line. We need to reduce the number of FTs we are taking. 4M, JG, JT and CT should all start and be encouraged to take the first open shot they get with Akele serving as their sub. Earl should sub for KI. Let's run and gun and play away from our weakness (FT shooting) on offense. This team has much greater potential for good outside shooting than we have seen. Start taking GOOD outside shots as soon as they appear rather than forcing the ball down inside to the bricklayers. Going to the FT line is our downfall and opponents want to foul our big men.

4M CAN release good shots quickly - he's shooting too much under the pressure of the shot clock expiring. We need to start running our shooters through screens. Setting good picks will take practice with today's refereeing points of emphasis. Offensive versatility is a big plus and HM's injury is an opportunity to develop it.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Sounds like a plan......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:The team is shooting 10% less than our opponents from the FT line while taking 50% more FTs. Playing fewer players more minutes will only make these numbers worse. It is the single biggest factor hurting this team's success (bigger than EC's OR Hass's injuries individually). HM, KI and EW are bricklayers from the FT line. We need to reduce the number of FTs we are taking. 4M, JG, JT and CT should all start and be encouraged to take the first open shot they get with Akele serving as their sub. Earl should sub for KI. Let's run and gun and play away from our weakness (FT shooting) on offense. This team has much greater potential for good outside shooting than we have seen. Start taking GOOD outside shots as soon as they appear rather than forcing the ball down inside to the bricklayers. Going to the FT line is our downfall and opponents want to foul our big men.

4M CAN release good shots quickly - he's shooting too much under the pressure of the shot clock expiring. We need to start running our shooters through screens. Setting good picks will take practice with today's refereeing points of emphasis. Offensive versatility is a big plus and HM's injury is an opportunity to develop it.
Not so sure about 4, but I do think CT can be a good mid-range shooter if given the opportunity to get into a rhythm...and that could make a huge difference.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Apparently Hass isn't the only tall player on the team to be sporting some kind of walking boot this week...

Mr Iverson was spotted walking around the Ryan Center with a boot very similar to Hassan's.

Stupid Hurley!! It's all his fault for not planning for this!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Apparently Hass isn't the only tall player on the team to be sporting some kind of walking boot this week...

Mr Iverson was spotted walking around the Ryan Center with a boot very similar to Hassan's.

Yep...what a jack-wagon...he must go! I can't believe he's screwing this up like this...he must be doing it on purpose.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I am not amused.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, the "Hurley can do no wrong" force is strong.....

we'll see how it plays out.....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

KI IMHO is our last hope for a winning conference season - he goes down we are done.

If this report is correct hopefully just a precaution - we"ll see at the Pizz tomorrow nite who suits up.....

The bring Iffy back might become a loud roar!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote:Apparently Hass isn't the only tall player on the team to be sporting some kind of walking boot this week...

holy cow.. this is unbelievable

all the promise and hope coming into this season

it's just awful
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Get all the injuries out of the way this season, then next season injury free...

like it happens that way.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:

holy cow.. this is unbelievable

all the promise and hope coming into this season

it's just awful
Oh boy...looks like I'm going to have to use that 5th, well...1st really...year of eligibility after all....
0 x