Game 12: URI at Old Dominion (Tuesday 12-22-15 7pm ASN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ted Constant Convocation Center
Norfolk, VA
Capacity 8,472
Opened 2002

RECORD 5-6 (Home 5-0)
Niagara 67-50 W
Buffalo 77-58 W
Morgan St. 79-48 W
vs Purdue 39-61 L
vs Saint Joseph's 66-64 L
at VCU 76-67 L
at William & Mary 55-48 L
Delaware St. 82-38 W
at Georgia St. 68-64 L
at Richmond 77-61 L
Maryland Eastern Shore 77-47 W

ODU Monarchs Fan Message Boards
http://www.monarchfans.com/forum/viewfo ... 6d48d0b754
http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=688

ODU Monarchs:
NCAA Appearances (11 appearances/Record 3-11): 1980, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1992, 1995, 1997, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011
Three NCAA 1st round wins over West Virginia (1986), Villanova (1995), and Notre Dame (2010)
NIT Appearances (11 appearances/Record 11-11)
Current Head Coach: Jeff Jones

ODU Men's Basketball Wiki Page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Domin ... basketball
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 12: URI at Old Dominion (Tuesday 12-22-15 7pm ASN)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those with DIRECTV, ASN is on NESN plus, which is channel 628.1
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Game is on MYRITV on Cox.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ODU is undefeated at home (on a 29 home game win streak) but has lost to three A-10 teams thus far (@VCU, @Richmond, and vs St. Joe's). The team has been a disappointment so far. The school is already one week into their break as the last day of exams was Friday, December 11.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

The key will be limiting Trey Freeman, their senior guard. ODU is 3-0 when he scores more than 20. He's averaging less PPG this season than last, but hasn't turned the ball over more than once in a game this year. He's definitely the key to their entire offense.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wonder how many "treys" he'll get against us, since we seem to leave 3 pt. shooters wide open in the 2nd half of games, especially on the road...
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

THE TRUTH !..............we are 2nd best in the nation. We only give op 13.1 ppg from 3 point shots. [ref: Team Rankings]
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'd be surprised if we pulled this one out on the road but I will be going nuts for them! Go Rhody!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I got this game on a few DirecTV channels.
Even though ODU has been disappointing this year it would still be quite the accomplishment to end their 29 game home winning streak. They are really going to want to beat us after losing to those other A-10 teams and wanting to protect that streak.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Okay, I've pouted enough from the NU game, lets kick some ass.
0 x
GO RAMS
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I don't know much about ODU, but how are they on such a long home winning streak? Were they really good last year and just haven't played anyone good at home this year?

Is the venue known to be a very tough place to play? Loud?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'm pretty confident in a win. Not sure why.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

URIGONZO wrote:I don't know much about ODU, but how are they on such a long home winning streak? Were they really good last year and just haven't played anyone good at home this year?
They made the NIT semifinals last year. Beat VCU, Richmond and Georgia St at home in the non-conference a year ago. Best team they've played this year at home (not including us) is Buffalo. So, yeah pretty much what you said.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Old Dominion was #69th nationally for attendance last season averaging 7,004 at the 8,472 seat Ted Constant Convocation Center.

2014-15 Men's Basketball D1 Home Attendance

69. Old Dominion 20 games Total 140,072 Average 7,004
99. Rhode Island 16 games Total 86,461 Average 5,404

Old Dominion has traditionally done very well at home. They however do not typically play many high profile teams as they are now a member of CUSA and were previously in the CAA. They went an undefeated 20-0 at home in 2014-15 with their best wins vs Richmond and VCU. Their last home loss looks to have been vs La Tech back in Feb-2014.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm going to play coach here for a minute.

My suggestion:

Start pushing the ball on offense.

With the freshmen showing signs of development and getting some serious minutes, it's time.

These guys are more suited to this style of offense anyway.

Certainly not the stand around/toss lazy crosscourt passes, hero ball late in the clock variety.

That's a recipe for blowing leads, which we're seeing almost every game now.

We're a good defensive/rebounding team. The type who can make layups on the break most of the time, but can't make jump shots resulting from slow down half court "offense".

Dan promised that this season. Then EC went down.

Well, he's one guy out of 12. We now have an 8 man rotation, which really isn't much different then if EC was playing. Who knew if the freshmen would actually play?

Break the mold, Dan. Get out of the rut. Spice things up. Play like we did against Iona LAST year, not this year's horrible display.

Garrett and Terrell, and Thompson, KI, and Akele would thrive in the uptempo style.

Imo, it's the only chance to salvage this season.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Not sure if this is the correct place to mention it, but the team looked gassed against against Iona. Hassan especially, and it's understandable cause he is playing huge minutes.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have enough guys to play uptempo.

Last year we had basically a 6 man rotation, and we played uptempo against Iona and did just fine.

Yes, the D we play takes energy, but they would cut back a little on that as Dan said, so they could focus more energy on offense.

My God, they had 5 days off between games. If they are gassed, then they are not in shape. I doubt that's the case with a Hurley coached team.

Of course their practices are intense, but maybe with slightly less emphasis on D they can back off that a little bit. Play a little zone perhaps? But we know Dan won't....

PC if I remember a couple years back played 5 guys 35-40 minutes a game, and made the Dance.

Played zone and stayed out of foul trouble. There's different ways to skin a cat. Dan has to start changing things up.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Which is why Earl needs to play more minutes.
Remember how run down Hass was at the end of last year?
Learn the lesson!
Don't know what the problem is with playing Watson?
He seems to have improved in every area.
Play the guy and help Hassan in the meantime.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan is stubborn, Rod. Just like the refusal to play zone defense.

Maybe man worked for him in high school and Wagner, but this is a different level of game. There needs to be more flexibility, where the opponents don't know what to expect at times.

Maybe learning how to play zone wouldn't work in the middle of the season, but maybe in the future.

As we can see, doing the same things over and over, and expecting a different result, ain't happening.

It's easier to game plan for Rhody. They are going to play man. Nothing too complicated.

Same for the predictable half court offense.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:Which is why Earl needs to play more minutes.
Remember how run down Hass was at the end of last year?
Learn the lesson!
Don't know what the problem is with playing Watson?
He seems to have improved in every area.
Play the guy and help Hassan in the meantime.
Hurley was pretty critical of Watson's play in his post-game presser after the Iona game. It's in the video at this link.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/hassan-m ... ainst-iona
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its consistency, that's the name of the game. URI IS good enough to play with good teams as we have seen. I think they still haven't met their ceiling potential yet. Some teams reach their ceiling and just aren't good enough. I did call this team average but an average team can't play with PC, NU and our other loses. IF they play consistently at their best, they can beat anyone left on the schedule. Iona was a break down of that potential. NU they played almost perfect until the last 5 minutes. I hope they spark all cylinders tomorrow.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:Dan is stubborn, Rod. Just like the refusal to play zone defense.

Maybe man worked for him in high school and Wagner, but this is a different level of game.
It also worked for him here, you know with that whole being one of the top 10 defenses in the country thing?
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

The video that Smarty posted is an interesting watch ...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:The video that Smarty posted is an interesting watch ...
Yeah, very interesting. Anyone who thinks Dan doesn't see what's going on and what needs to be fixed, needs to watch and listen to that entire video.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Very.
Not sure calling guys out in public is a good thing
for college kids.
Save it for practices or face to face.
Can't say I've ever heard one of our coaches mention
players by name in criticizing anyone.
Most coaches say thing between the lines.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It wouldn't be my style, but if a player isn't responding to multiple coaches, maybe you try something else.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I thought he said a lot of interesting things there, not just what he said about Earl. I generally agree with rod that usually you don't see coaches calling out guys in press conferences, especially in the college level. What I suspect is behind those remarks is not just exasperation and frustration leading to out-of-character public criticism, but a calculated attempt to push some buttons of some guys, and maybe Earl and Jared in particular. Granted, that may come from a place of exasperation and frustration that what he is saying to them behind closed doors is not getting through. But I just doubt that was him forgetting he isn't supposed to do that. I think he is pretty desperate to light a fire with those guys before the season gets away from them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He played Earl like 5 minutes. He makes quick choices on Earl where it seems that if you play Earl long enough he's going to rebound, block shots, dunk the ball, shoot 50% from the line, and foul. That is still very valuable to me but whatever.

Actually checked the box score and its 8 minutes. He missed those 2 free throws but then he knocked down the next two. Earl to me is a guy that gets comfortable and gets better. The rest of the guys don't have the touch or tenacity that he has. He naturally jumps up there and throws the ball in.

Jared, needs a basketball makeover show to save him. A basketball makeover show that allows him to not have an offensive game thats a high wire act. Either he knocks down a bunch of 3 balls. Gets some run outs on the defensive end that lead to lay ups or he doesn't score. A top 60 player out of high school thats a 3 and D guy against sub 100 opponents???? Who wants that. Especially when the 3s are anything but automatic.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Man, looking at that video, we just didn't miss shots, we missed badly on most of them.

Unusual to see a video of your own team bricking so many. Usually it's the ones you make..but it [the video] served it's purpose.

Very little passing also, just brutal.

I can understand Dan's frustration. I doubt the boys enjoyed the first practice afterward.

This team needs an inside game to go to, when the outside shots aren't falling, which is most of the time.

Hopefully the new guys will address that problem next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Remember everyone giving me grief when I said
Terrell loses lift at the rim?
A chorus of,"He the best jumper, blah, blah, blah".
May be, but maybe the doesn't stay in the air long enough?
Even Gottlieb talked about his "flat tire" drives.
He doesn't finish at the rim, even on breaks.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:I thought he said a lot of interesting things there, not just what he said about Earl. I generally agree with rod that usually you don't see coaches calling out guys in press conferences, especially in the college level. What I suspect is behind those remarks is not just exasperation and frustration leading to out-of-character public criticism, but a calculated attempt to push some buttons of some guys, and maybe Earl and Jared in particular. Granted, that may come from a place of exasperation and frustration that what he is saying to them behind closed doors is not getting through. But I just doubt that was him forgetting he isn't supposed to do that. I think he is pretty desperate to light a fire with those guys before the season gets away from them.
I think that approach can work when a few things are in play- the players and coaches have a good relationship with each other and when the coach is as hard on himself as he is any of his players (not in a bad way but just that everyone's performance is open to critique and improvement).
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI has played uptempo every chance it gets. The problem is that opponents know to get back and force URI to play half-court offense where we stand around until the shot clock runs down, and then we force up a shot.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I thought he said a lot of interesting things there, not just what he said about Earl. I generally agree with rod that usually you don't see coaches calling out guys in press conferences, especially in the college level. What I suspect is behind those remarks is not just exasperation and frustration leading to out-of-character public criticism, but a calculated attempt to push some buttons of some guys, and maybe Earl and Jared in particular. Granted, that may come from a place of exasperation and frustration that what he is saying to them behind closed doors is not getting through. But I just doubt that was him forgetting he isn't supposed to do that. I think he is pretty desperate to light a fire with those guys before the season gets away from them.
I think that approach can work when a few things are in play- the players and coaches have a good relationship with each other and when the coach is as hard on himself as he is any of his players (not in a bad way but just that everyone's performance is open to critique and improvement).
Agree. Fortunately I think that applies here (which I know you were saying without saying, but just to be clear I think that is our situation and I trust him to have the temperature of the locker room and to know what buttons he can push).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If ya didn't know the final score, and take out the phrases of reference to a win, Dan sounds like a coach after a loss....No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:If ya didn't know the final score, and take out the phrases of reference to a win, Dan sounds like a coach after a loss....No?
A reflection of high expectations? Like the start of a major winning streak?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Did that game feel like a win?

We played their 2nd string at our place and won in OT.

At least it was a win.

Rod, Terrell definitely has an issue jumping at the rim. With his body, you wouldn't think so, but when it comes to leaping, not everyone has that ability. He just can't "hang".

I mean, EC isn't a leaper either, but he can finish.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....seven lords a-leaping....,,
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Terrell seems to jump well off of two feet, but not so great off of one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Definitely a little strange, something we don't see very often.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Not even a little bit happy with a coach calling players out to the press, not if he expects to keep their respect and expects them not to call him out publicly for what they consider is going wrong from a coaching angle. Actually, it very concerning.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Did we just 'jump the shark?'
Are we going to look back at this time and say 'those four tires you see there came from that bus a little ways back?'

This guy never even said a word about that tall springy guy from Michigan, coming and going, holding schollies hostage, screwing our academic standing, etc... but he's going to call Watson out because he came off of someone else's cookie cutter. Dan Hurley is not getting the best out of Earl Watson.

Are we going to now start the Watson is un-coachable narrative? because let me just puke a little now to get it over with.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Calling out players in public stems from frustration.

It's a dangerous tactic for sure. It could backfire on Dan big time.

Who's next?

He [Dan] has already mentioned certain players need to "hit the gym" more.

The good ship lollypop is springing a leak?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

You can't play an up-tempo style of offense when your team plays balls out defense with no bench. They play man to man defense for pretty much every minute this season. How do you expect them to have enough energy to push the ball effectively when they play a 6 man rotation? Even moving without the ball and setting plays expends too much energy. They play offense like it's a breather. And when they run a play, it's that dumbass weave. No weave is ever good, be it basketball or hair.

Dan doesn't seem to adjust to the team he has, but continues to coach the team he wished he had. We have no depth this year. Next year, with EC and Robinson in the mix, you can maybe play that style because you can sub guys effectively.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have an 8 man rotation now. Playing uptempo is an option.

You are right about the "weave" being dumbass.

It gets nowhere except runs the shot clock down, where we then have to rush shots.

Dan needs to shitcan it. It's a lead killer too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, he has talked about that guy from Michigan, in not very complimentary terms either.

Just not to the media.

Using the media is breaking new ground, and not in a good way.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

I don't really count Earl and Nicola. Nicola averages under 10 minutes per game. And Earl isn't built for up-tempo.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Terrell had 3 rebounds in 40 minutes against Iona. Tied for last with Earl(8minutes). Watching too much. Not much running. Definitely no jumping.

Depth? Its a basketball team, how many guys do you have to play? They played 8 last game. Throw EC in and thats 9. Teams usually are less than 8 deep.

Thing that baffles me about this team is the lack of greed. They don't view free throws as opportunities to grab points. They don't finish lay ups in order to grab points. They don't greet an open look with a smile because its an easy couple points. They all have aspirations. Just if you don't put the ball in the hoop at this level? What are they?

DH calling out names? New here certainly. Maybe rare in the college game and generally sports. I think this team needs turmoil though. EC's loss didn't galvanize these guys. They have all their goals in front of them if they run the table to GW. That would be a huge game if they could. Not impossible. Between the 1/5 and 1/22 game thats 4 top 100 RPI games if I'm not mistaken. Go on a run and things will feel different.

I do think that the program needs to turn away from the narrative about attendance and EC's loss. If they can turn the page on that stuff. Hassan becomes a star scorer. People step up. Lots of basketball left.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Terrell had 3 rebounds in 40 minutes against Iona. Tied for last with Earl(8minutes). Watching too much. Not much running. Definitely no jumping.

Depth? Its a basketball team, how many guys do you have to play? They played 8 last game. Throw EC in and thats 9. Teams usually are less than 8 deep.

Thing that baffles me about this team is the lack of greed. They don't view free throws as opportunities to grab points. They don't finish lay ups in order to grab points. They don't greet an open look with a smile because its an easy couple points. They all have aspirations. Just if you don't put the ball in the hoop at this level? What are they?

DH calling out names? New here certainly. Maybe rare in the college game and generally sports. I think this team needs turmoil though. EC's loss didn't galvanize these guys. They have all their goals in front of them if they run the table to GW. That would be a huge game if they could. Not impossible. Between the 1/5 and 1/22 game thats 4 top 100 RPI games if I'm not mistaken. Go on a run and things will feel different.

I do think that the program needs to turn away from the narrative about attendance and EC's loss. If they can turn the page on that stuff. Hassan becomes a star scorer. People step up. Lots of basketball left.
Hear! Hear! Cheers to all of that! Get on a good run and make that GW game huge!
String together enough W's and the margins start to matter much less.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dan's mentioned players publicly before, so I don't think is is some sign of the coming apocalypse. I specifically remember Biruta last year and with the same approach- it's senior year, this is it, you owe it to yourself to leave it all out there. He basically called out Watson for his energy and effort. That is something that is completely within a player's control.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Terrell had 3 rebounds in 40 minutes against Iona. Tied for last with Earl(8minutes). Watching too much. Not much running. Definitely no jumping.

To be fair, that 8 man rotation included Watson playing 8 minutes and Nicola 14 minutes in an overtime game. That's more like a 6 1/2 man rotation. This team has no depth especially in the frontcourt and that frontcourt player gets 8 minutes?
0 x
'No Mercy.'