our fans suck

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Roz
ARD

our fans suck

Unread post by Roz »

Even though this team has underachieved I am very disappointed in the attendance. Nebraska has 13000 and on a Saturday night we cant get 4000???
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: our fans suck

Unread post by theblueram »

no
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

we should be up 20 right now. but we are not.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

BLue Ram that's sad isn't it?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

We will win this game for sure. I am looking for improvements in shooting and really more importantly turnovers and free throws.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The only thing that is sad is the offensive performance of the team.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Our fans don't suck for not going to the games. Our fans have been emotionally abused by this program for a decade and a half, and if they even hint at being good again they will STILL come back. But this team is a huge disappointment so far this year. Can't blame the fans. Win and they will show up.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, even I am amazed at how bad this team is right now.

Glad you agree.

Something is rotten in Denmark.......
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Roz wrote:Even though this team has underachieved I am very disappointed in the attendance. Nebraska has 13000 and on a Saturday night we cant get 4000???
Your comparison to Nebraska makes no sense. It is winter break at URI right now - no students. You also have people busy with the holidays this weekend and a team that is struggling. Nebraska has 25,000 students and is the main attraction in a major city. They don't have any pro sports. Nebraska draws 87,000 fans for home football games.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Students can't drive from Cranston for a game? If it were the PC game tonight, there'd be 7,200 fans. It has to be an "event."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

win enough of the right games...and they will come...won't matter if school is out or not.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:Our fans don't suck for not going to the games. Our fans have been emotionally abused by this program for a decade and a half, and if they even hint at being good again they will STILL come back. But this team is a huge disappointment so far this year. Can't blame the fans. Win and they will show up.
Yes, devoted fans. Emotionally abused for 15 years. No one will ever go to a game again until they hear Kevin Costner say while he's standing in the middle of the Turf Farm, "Win and they will show up."
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramblinrose wrote:Students can't drive from Cranston for a game? If it were the PC game tonight, there'd be 7,200 fans. It has to be an "event."
Really? Do you think there is a big drop off in student attendence at other schools during wrinter break. There is.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

TruePoint wrote:Our fans don't suck for not going to the games. Our fans have been emotionally abused by this program for a decade and a half, and if they even hint at being good again they will STILL come back. But this team is a huge disappointment so far this year. Can't blame the fans. Win and they will show up.
+1. Our fans would only suck if this team was coming off a tournament appearance and were 10-1 right now.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bressler3south wrote:
Yes, devoted fans. Emotionally abused for 15 years. No one will ever go to a game again until they hear Kevin Costner say while he's standing in the middle of the Turf Farm, "Win and they will show up."
You should use accurate information in your sarcasm. Assuming you are using Field of Dreams. It was James Earl Jones who said "Ray, people will come Ray." Referring to paying fans. It was an unknown voice that said "If you build it, he will come." Referring to Ray's father.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Same things since the 80s... Before that I will defer to Rod and others, so the excuse of fans who are somehow not going due to the team's poor performances or being a disappointment for the past decade doesn't fly.

My fellow students didn't go to games when I was there, and they don't go now. I didn't pay too much attention to the Alumni and locals. I was too busy enjoying the privilege to watch division 1 basketball a few thousand yards from my dorm.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I thought Ray's daughter said, "People will come" first. I've been going to games since 1975 and it's essentially been the same. The current crowds surpass Keaney's 3,200 capacity.
But 3,700 in a 7,500 seat arena is no home court advantage. I remember some on this board wanted a 10,000 capacity when the RC was being built. That would have been a disaster.
By the way, 4,700 turned out to laud Calipari at UMASS. Guess they didn't want to compare eras.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

HERE IS SOME HERESY FOR YOU.

URI is a boring, poorly coached OFFENSIVE basketball team. There is no movement in the half-court. The outside shots we take are usually under pressure. Jarvis continually puts us in poor situations to score with the shot clock expiring. The shooters have very little confidence because they are experiencing very little success being forced into taking bad shots.

Right now Dan is living off the Hurley name. When Bobby shuffled off to Buffalo, any clue that the program had about offensive basketball went with him. It's no surprise that Bobby quickly moved on to ASU. The new assistant coaches are hard working grunts like their boss. They can recruit and get players to play hard defensively. There is no creativity and little added value in basketball coaching added by the coaches on the offensive side - they follow Dan's lead which is lacking in coaching offensive basketball,

URI BASKETBALL FANS DON'T SUCK! Their lack of presence and passion is telling you what they think about the entertainment value of the product on the court. Professional sports that have become successful recognize that it is offense that attracts fans. Sure winning will spur fan interest - but that is not going to happen until we can play good half-court offensive basketball.

Four McGlynn's "slump" is a result of how URI plays offensive basketball. Jared will go for long stretches where he is invisible on the court. Jared's shooting stroke looked so much better at the start of the season, but is producing little in this offense. Christian is a good outside shooter who can develop in this offensive system. EC would have been good. Jarvis and Kuran have s decent shooting touch. as well. There is plenty of offensive talent on this team that is being repressed by poor offensive coaching from the top.

Iona was one of the most boring over-time games I have sat through. If Iona could have gotten back on defense as PC did to nullify our transition game, they would have won. Good tams can always make you play offensive basketball - and we will not beat those teams.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:
You should use accurate information in your sarcasm. Assuming you are using Field of Dreams. It was James Earl Jones who said "Ray, people will come Ray." Referring to paying fans.
It was an unknown voice that said "If you build it, he will come." Referring to Ray's father.
Oh, pardon me!
IT'S ALREADY BEEN BUILT, BUT THEY DON'T COME!
That's the point of using Kevin Costner in something that's fantasy, you dink!
Here, I'll use some accurate sarcasm from what I originally wrote, but I thought that it was ABSOLUTELY INSENSITIVE, but it went along the lines of this:
Oh, the emotionally abused URI basketball fan....15 Years of EMOTIONAL ABUSE.....So devoted...I'm one of them....Oh, I've been so abused....I'm gonna buy gallons of gasoline and burn down the Ryan Center. No one who says he/she is a URI fan and doesn't show up deserves such a beautiful facility.
There, you emotionally abused cripple. The line was a throwaway, a facetious remark.
I hope that you understand the dark allusion to the Burning Bed Syndrome.
Go have a hot dog and don't fall off wherever you're sitting.
Dr. Moonlight Graham might be busy buying a Rhody hat for his wife.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ram1019 wrote:
+1. Our fans would only suck if this team was coming off a tournament appearance and were 10-1 right now.[/quote]

+1. They are some fans that will show up for sporadic flashes of 'good' basketball, but there's another 2-3,000 that will show up for 'NCAA tourney quality' hoops.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
LOL..."emotionally abused"...by a basketball team? Like, the collective psyche of the team is focused on your torture...Huh? That's just silly...might be a good time to consider a diversification of hobbies...like following the NY Giants or the Red Sox...lol, no emotional abuse there....

It would rock though to have Kevin C standing in the middle of the turf farm...at night...with a bunch of studio lights....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:
You should use accurate information in your sarcasm. Assuming you are using Field of Dreams. It was James Earl Jones who said "Ray, people will come Ray." Referring to paying fans. It was an unknown voice that said "If you build it, he will come." Referring to Ray's father.
I don't think accuracy is a requirement for sarcasm...in fact, playing loose with the facts or not caring about them can oftentimes help improve it. :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72 is right about our "offensive" basketball.

He's also right about Bobby leaving hurting us on the offensive end, big time.

Some day, URI teams will get back to playing running, exciting basketball.

I thought this might be the game [Iona] that we would, at least for a game, even without EC.

Nah.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In the fall/winter of '74-'75, our team started off 0-14 (look it up). Yet, students filled the lower bowl of Keaney Gym every night. I'm not sure what the attendance figures of that lower bowl is, but I know it's a lot more than we get for student attendance now, unless it's PC. Much different times, students went to games and watched the game and cheered their team on, even if they weren't winning. Technology has dramatically changed what kids do today as compared to 40 years ago.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Same thing in the 60's when URI was in the Yankee Conference playing UConn for the title every year, or so it seemed.

Times have changed.

Of course, back then we were laying 100 on Vermont, UNH, and Maine all the time.....

Wasn't always great basketball, but it was exciting.....
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In a week where people are trying to best each other for "dumbest take on the board" .. I think we have a winner.

I was actually shocked at how many people were at the game last night.

Guess what? Winning puts fans in the seats. If you're not going to win...play exciting basketball. Not defense first...but defense only basketball is awful to watch. AWFUL.

As TP and other have said...we're an emotionally tortured fanbase that hasn't won a legitimate, hang your hat on game in 16 years. We haven't beat our fucking in state rival in 6.

We're a fucking shit team playing in a one bid conference because our only shot at the NCAA is getting hot in the A10 tournament.

The fan base did their part. The building was full with 90% URI fans for PC. We lost. Again. Naturally fans see that nothing has changed.

You're an idiot for starting this thread.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The +/- of 4,000 fans there don't suck......it is the empty seats for whatever reason they are empty is what sucks.....side note to this, last nite in local establishment, two different reps from athletics commented to me make sure our seats don't go vacant while south ......This tells me they are concerned about the empty seats....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I know. I was just really disappointed in the attendance. Thankfully we pulled it out even though they were shooting lights out for a while there.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:In a week where people are trying to best each other for "dumbest take on the board" .. I think we have a winner.

Guess what? Winning puts fans in the seats. If you're not going to win...play exciting basketball. Not defense first...but defense only basketball is awful to watch. AWFUL.

As TP and other have said...we're an emotionally tortured fanbase that hasn't won a legitimate, hang your hat on game in 16 years. We haven't beat our fucking in state rival in 6.

We're a fucking shit team playing in a one bid conference because our only shot at the NCAA is getting hot in the A10 tournament.

The fan base did their part. The building was full with 90% URI fans for PC. We lost. Again. Naturally fans see that nothing has changed.

To say "our fans suck" is pretty silly, given that it's likely that most of the people reading this are...fans...who either went to the game, or would have liked to. So, what that really means is "everyone that didn't go the game last night sucks." L...O....L. To say that a basketball team is linked to emotional torture is nutty...although, the extra profanity does kinda help make the case...

I agree with a couple things - win the right games and fans will come. But...fans are 'tortured' when they don't win? Good grief, it's not that serious, really...it's not...when they lose, you still go to work and get paid and if/when they win...you don't get a ring, trophy or bonus.

The other thing I agree with is defense only basketball is AWFUL to watch...give me 88-85 over 60-56 any day of the week. The fact that this team relies on defense...doesn't make me like 'good defense' any better...

Cheers!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iona can shoot it. Most of the team can fill it up.

Imagine if they could play some defense?

If we had even a couple of their shooters and could run with it, we would be having different conversations right now.

This board would be a much brighter place.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It is gonna be a long fews days to ODU, nice to here from athletics last nite, team academics are good....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

7 PM the Saturday before Christmas sucks for a game time. I know I was at a Christmas party, and I'm sure plenty more were as well.

Not to mention this team hasn't earned any fans. Being a fan doesn't mean you spend your time or money blindly. Were told in year two we were going to be a great team...nope...wait til year 4 they said...so far...nope.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: our fans do not suck

from 8 wins to 14 to 23...seems like decent progress in a pretty short time frame, with plenty of time left this year...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well first of all, Keaney's capacity was 4,400 until they
did a renovation and it went to 3,700.
What also happened was, they moved the students to the
stage behind the basket.
Students always occupied the lower bowl, and regular
fans sat in assigned seats above.
I think saving the lower bowl at the RC for the swells is a
terrible mistake.
Look at places like NC State and Duke. Students surround the court
at the court level.
I'm pretty sure URI will never do this, because it might offend
some alums or donors.
We are in a new era of basketball.
Shooting, and wide open offense is the order of the day.
Grind 'em out defense with brick layer offense is passe.
A few people mention Bobby.
His mind was offense centered. He ran the offense of
one of the best teams in NCAA history.
His Buffalo teams were run and gun, and fun to watch.
He's doing the same at ASU.
It's ironic that the guy who took a job as his brother's assistant,
because he wanted to do something basketball related,
has surpassed his brother, who has spent most of his
life in coaching.
First to an NCAA, first to a P5 job.
So, here we are with a boring, underachieving team.
We have a three bid conference, so it's not
impossible to go to NCAAs from the A-10.
I think Dan needs to reboot, and think offense as a means
to winning and attracting fans.
You can still preach defense, but you need balance to win.
Or as a lousy coach used to say,
"Ya gotta put da bawl in da baskit!"
Looking just at win totals was a CFL follower's thing.
Same deal now.
What were the quality of those 21wins? Did the team rise
to the occasion when it needed to.
We know the answers to those questions.
Will the EC injury be the excuse for not having a decent season?
When you have the talent to lead for an entire game
and blow it at the end, it's not EC's absence that's hurting the
team, but lack of execution by the team.
It's up to the staff to correct this.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

All the gripes on this team wouldn't be there if these guys were just average at putting the ball in the basket at the end of the game.

As much as Dan's doing this or that with the offense. Its not like he's taking the ball from them or forcing them to suck. Jarvis Garret missing that layup at the end in the break. Jared Terrell not being able to score at the basket time and again. It makes him one dimensional. Either Jared hits a bomb from deep or he does nothing. Then Four with that airball?!?! Like give me a break these kids aren't exactly helping.

Kuran is great and we need more of him. I think his focus wanes though as the game drags on. It is a skill to stay focused and continue to bring it to the opponent. His focus is one of the issues he brought here. He has shook off many of the bad things he was said to have. BUT channeling his energy and fire into a focus where he cuts the throat of the opponent down the stretch still isn't there.

The media talking about the crowds? Come on thats a crap narrative.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Rod, remember Sec. 8 during Penders? That was truly a home court advantage ...intimidating.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote: The media talking about the crowds? Come on thats a crap narrative.
That's because they're "fans" first, "journalists" second.
Oh, no.
They sense the pulse of the real fans who suck and aren't at the games.
"The Fair-Whether-Or-Not-We-Always-Win-Fans."
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:In a week where people are trying to best each other for "dumbest take on the board" .. I think we have a winner.

The fan base did their part. The building was full with 90% URI fans for PC. We lost. Again. Naturally

fans see that nothing has changed.

No need to call me an idiot. I was very disappointed with how RI fans jump on or off the bandwagon so quickly. I love URI and want more people to have the passion I have for them. Simple as that.

To say "our fans suck" is pretty silly, given that it's likely that most of the people reading this are...fans...who either went to the game, or would have liked to. So, what that really means is "everyone that didn't go the game last night sucks." L...O....L. To say that a basketball team is linked to emotional torture is nutty...although, the extra profanity does kinda help make the case...

I agree with a couple things - win the right games and fans will come. But...fans are 'tortured' when they don't win? Good grief, it's not that serious, really...it's not...when they lose, you still go to work and get paid and if/when they win...you don't get a ring, trophy or bonus.

The other thing I agree with is defense only basketball is AWFUL to watch...give me 88-85 over 60-56 any day of the week. The fact that this team relies on defense...doesn't make me like 'good defense' any better...

Cheers!
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Somethings wrong with the site...what I just said is no need to call me an idiot, i was just very disappointed with how RI fans jump on or off the bandwagon so quickly. I love URI and want more people to have the passion I have for them. Simple as that.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Roz wrote:Somethings wrong with the site...what I just said is no need to call me an idiot, i was just very disappointed with how RI fans jump on or off the bandwagon so quickly. I love URI and want more people to have the passion I have for them. Simple as that.
Then why would you entitle the thread: "our fans suck"
?
Not going to make many compadres that way, idiot or not.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Gimme a break, don't be so sensitive. Saturday night game should have more people there.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Roz wrote:Gimme a break, don't be so sensitive. Saturday night game should have more people there.
Why don't you just rename the board:

KEANEY BLEW
URI NEGATIVE MESSAGE BOARD
A PLACE WHERE OUR FANS SUCK
AND ARE THE BEST AT SOMETHING
SUCKING
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

bressler3south wrote:
Roz wrote:Gimme a break, don't be so sensitive. Saturday night game should have more people there.
Why don't you just rename the board:

KEANEY BLEW
URI NEGATIVE MESSAGE BOARD
A PLACE WHERE OUR FANS SUCK
AND ARE THE BEST AT SOMETHING
SUCKING
:lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can we delete this thread. We get it, we need more fans at the games. Let's not be average and it'll happen. It's simple.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

average teams get average crowds?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This game against Iona was a rinse and repeat of Nebraska. Up all game and absolutely fail in the final minutes. We had a guy on the line, tied, with like two effin seconds on the board and he couldn't make 1. Teams are realizing we suck at free throws and they are going to foul in the second half. A team that shoots 50% at the line is going to be fouled for sure. And a 10-15 point lead will shrink fast when they go two for one down the stretch. Hell, if I was an opposing coach I'd have my walk ons fouling the shit out of this team if I was behind.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Roz wrote:Somethings wrong with the site...what I just said is no need to call me an idiot, i was just very disappointed with how RI fans jump on or off the bandwagon so quickly. I love URI and want more people to have the passion I have for them. Simple as that.
Roz, you want to dictate what other people are passionate about to suit yourself? You must really enjoy politics.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:This game against Iona was a rinse and repeat of Nebraska. Up all game and absolutely fail in the final minutes. We had a guy on the line, tied, with like two effin seconds on the board and he couldn't make 1. Teams are realizing we suck at free throws and they are going to foul in the second half. A team that shoots 50% at the line is going to be fouled for sure. And a 10-15 point lead will shrink fast when they go two for one down the stretch. Hell, if I was an opposing coach I'd have my walk ons fouling the shit out of this team if I was behind.
Opposing teams don't need scout coaches.
They just read this board.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

DeanDome88 wrote:
Roz, you want to dictate what other people are passionate about to suit yourself? You must really enjoy politics.
Roz must be Ace when the Philly doesn't want to show her face. Something like the Savant Alter Ego......
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What goes on during timeouts? "OK, I know you're gonna miss the free throws, so Hass, block your man out and try for the rebound"?
0 x