3 of the Top 4 Scorers in the Nation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

3 of the Top 4 Scorers in the Nation

Unread post by ramster »

URI has the #4 scorer in the Nation coming to Kingston on Saturday December 19th. Iona's AJ English is averaging 25.0 ppg. English is hitting 46% of his 3's!!!

On January 16th URI hosts LaSalle and the #3 scorer in the Nation in Jordan Price with 25.9 ppg. Price is hitting 50.0% of his 3's. URI plays LaSalle again at LaSalle on February 6th.

On February 23rd URI plays at Davidson. The #2 scorer in the Nation is Jack Gibbs with a 26.7 ppg average. Gibbs is hitting 40.4 % of his 3's.

URI's Marketing and Advertising Department should promote specific aspects of the specific opponent to help boost interest.

The Ryan Center will host the 3rd and 4th leading scorers in the Nation from among more than 359 teams.

Amazing that the A10 has 2 of the top 4 scorers and they both shoot the 3-ball accurately.

All the BOGO tickets, discounts, T shirts, etc are ok but it seems we have forgotten how to market aspects of the game itself and specifics about the opponent to draw basketball fans in. I remember the days of Jimmy Walker, Pete Maravich, Dwight Lamar, etc when the Top Scorer in the Nation was highly publicized. Sell Iona as a chance to see AJ English. Heck, it can't hurt :roll:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3 of the Top 4 Scorers in the Nation

Unread post by ace »

I think they did that a little with Houston and their (previously) undefeated record.

AJ English is great and is getting some looks from NBA scouts. I love pulling for potential pros from mid-major teams.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote:I think they did that a little with Houston and their (previously) undefeated record.

AJ English is great and is getting some looks from NBA scouts. I love pulling for potential pros from mid-major teams.
Did what? 'marketing?' I live 'almost on campus' and I never see any marketing...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ace wrote:I think they did that a little with Houston and their (previously) undefeated record.

Did what? 'marketing?' I live 'almost on campus' and I never see any marketing...
Yep I live under 1 mile from campus

Marketing ?

Crickets!

The video advertising board on 138 had the PC game posted on it Friday

Can't make this stuff up....

Local promos, pamphlets/ flyers to local schools? Zero I know of....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To be clear, I wasn't speaking on the effectiveness of it or the effort behind it, just that it was mentioned. Like I said with attendance, the staff and players can only do their jobs to the best of their abilities, figuring things out and changing things up as the season develops, and see how the surrounding pieces play out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ace,
I think AJ will end up in the NBA just as his father did.
I think the URI marketing Department should build this game up as an opportunity to see a future NBA point guard. So should the Journal.

He is really lighting it up. There are a lot of pure basketball fans in the Rhode Island area who would be interested in watching this guy play live on a Saturday night before Christmas - in a very good seat and arena!!
Interesting Article from last January on Him.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/spo ... /21865631/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I really soured on English, and the whole Iona team, at the NIT game. I was sitting behind their bench and there were multiple times in the second half when guys wouldn't even make an effort to get back and play defense with English the biggest offender and it was just crickets from Cluess and the bench. It's a lot easier to look good on offense when you play a striker role and literally never set foot in the defensive end.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I bet we hold English way below his average.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:I bet we hold English way below his average.
Another great reason to come out and see the game!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

And bring all your loud and rowdy friends!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:I bet we hold English way below his average.
Same. We also OWNED Price in both games last year. I'll admit that Gibbs scares me a bit, however.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

I really soured on English, and the whole Iona team, at the NIT game. I was sitting behind their bench and there were multiple times in the second half when guys wouldn't even make an effort to get back and play defense with English the biggest offender and it was just crickets from Cluess and the bench. It's a lot easier to look good on offense when you play a striker role and literally never set foot in the defensive end.
That was a weird game. Had a real exhibition game feel to it. Maybe it was the empty building but spot on here it had a strange feel to it. Maybe both teams were bummed about not making the real tourney.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!