PC rivals

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Smokinjimit
ARD

PC rivals

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Went to the PC game tonight. Next time one of their fans tells you we arnt their biggest game, ask them if they play highlights from other teams they play.

Before the game tonight on the jumbo torn they played highlights of the game vs URI. Did it for about two minutes. The crowd was very into it. I go to a good amount of PC games and don't remember them doing that for another team. But we arnt a rival?
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Re: PC rivals

Unread post by peeps4life »

the people who say it isn't a rivalry are trolling you on purpose... and it's working
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea they are lying either to you or themselves. All my PC friends have never denied that URI is their biggest rival.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

peeps4life wrote:the people who say it isn't a rivalry are trolling you on purpose... and it's working
Agree with this. It's similar to Yankees' fans who insist the Red Sox aren't their rivals.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Watching the Nebraska game tonight they showed a graphic of recent rivalry games, and there right in the middle, on national TV, was the URI-PC game.
Cooley who?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

peeps4life wrote:the people who say it isn't a rivalry are trolling you on purpose... and it's working
So you admit. Cooley is a troll.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Let's put this to bed until next December, we have more important games ahead.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Coach Cooley is saying what is best for his team. After the game, he was very complimentary of the URI team, its fans, and Coach Hurley. If Hurley thought is was in his team's best interest to say Brown was URI's biggest rival, that's what he would say.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bigsnoop wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Coach Cooley is saying what is best for his team. After the game, he was very complimentary of the URI team, its fans, and Coach Hurley. If Hurley thought is was in his team's best interest to say Brown was URI's biggest rival, that's what he would say.

So you are basically saying that Cooley lied over and over again.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Brown is our biggest rival
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

According to Cooley, it's UMass.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

bigappleram wrote:Let's put this to bed until next December, we have more important games ahead.
Agreed. Lets worry about Nebraska.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

UMASS, there is more than 1 poster on this board that believes UMASS is #1 or equal to PC in terms of rivalry.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Bigsnoop wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Agree with this. Cooley saying what he did was a message to his team more than anything else. In a hostile environment with a young team, treating the game as anything other than "just another game" could have been a recipe for disaster for the Friars. Players typically reflect a coach and Cooley set an example for his players to treat this like any other game. While his comments (admittedly) initially irritated me a bit, it would have been a completely different story if he was dismissive of the URI team.

I'm cool with whatever Dan feels he needs to say to send the proper message to his team and I can't fault Cooley for doing the same for his team.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:[ Cooley saying what he did was a message to his team more than anything else. In a hostile environment with a young team, treating the game as anything other than "just another game" could have been a recipe for disaster for the Friars.

If it was for his team in preparation for that game, why then did he himself bring it up again in the POST-GAME press conference. Who was he speaking to then? There would have been no need to reiterate his comments if it had already met its objective vis a vis his players. Not buying that explanation.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RF1 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:[ Cooley saying what he did was a message to his team more than anything else. In a hostile environment with a young team, treating the game as anything other than "just another game" could have been a recipe for disaster for the Friars.

If it was for his team in preparation for that game, why then did he himself bring it up again in the POST-GAME press conference. Who was he speaking to then? There would have been no need to reiterate his comments if it had already met its objective vis a vis his players. Not buying that explanation.
Admittedly, I didn't listen to the post-game and, for the 48 hours after it ended, I avoided all mentions of the game. That being said, I can't explain the rationale on doubling down on his statement, but I still think a big part of the initial statement was a way of getting the message through to his team.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cooley is a big blowhard. He overstates everything and according to him he is playing the number 1 team in the country every night. He speaks like he is an authority on everything but in reality he is only a big bull shit artist!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Karma already biting PC in the butt. Only one game after URI win. Dunn sick. Fazekas has mono. Bentil has injured ankle and is getting x-rays. What goes around comes around.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Karma? It's life. It's basketball.
Good teams find ways to keep going.
Injuries, sickness, happens to every team.
When playing Bryant, or Rider, should be able to get by without both guys.
If you can't because of incompetence, then there are bigger issues at play (IE talent evaluation/recruiting).
4-10 should still be better than 1-6 at most smaller schools.
Versus UMASS or other BE teams, different story.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jesus I wish we won, but we didnt. So please stop bringing this up.

This thread is the reason this site can be so difficult to read. PC beat us. I don't want to see PC lose another game this year because it floats us for the nonexistant chance that we get an at-large bid with a higher RPI.

Talk about little brother syndrome. Who the fuck cares its 2 games in the past. They beat us. Move on. Worry about Nebraska Sunday.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Actually after Bryant tomorrow, PC plays Rider and UMass. I'd like to see them lose those two, especially the one against UMass. Then I want PC to run the table.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Actually after Bryant tomorrow, PC plays Rider and UMass. I'd like to see them lose those two, especially the one against UMass. Then I want PC to run the table.
That makes sense as a Rhody Fan. It would hurt both teams RPI and give a win to a team you are competing with head to head.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Blue Man wrote:Jesus I wish we won, but we didnt. So please stop bringing this up.

This thread is the reason this site can be so difficult to read. PC beat us. I don't want to see PC lose another game this year because it floats us for the nonexistant chance that we get an at-large bid with a higher RPI.

Talk about little brother syndrome. Who the fuck cares its 2 games in the past. They beat us. Move on. Worry about Nebraska Sunday.
Yep.

Tho I am the biggest fan of whoever PC is playing. Could care less about RPI

Sundays game is HUGE for our Rams to get back in the conversation.....any conversation.

Edit:

Narragansett /SK patch has a bit up re the brawl Sat night at the Mews.

On my mobile unable to link but a search should bring it up, I'll try to edit again later with the linky
Last edited by hrstrat57 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Jesus I wish we won, but we didnt. So please stop bringing this up.

Yep.

Tho I am the biggest fan of whoever PC is playing. Could care less about RPI

Tomorrow's game is HUGE for our Rams to get back in the conversation.....any conversation.
Same with me.
I always root for their opponent.
Come in Top 3 in A10 and you are in the dance. That's the plan.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

A10 has a little bit of work to do if it wants to be a 3 bid conference, at least per RPI Forecast. Can even stretch to 4 bids, but probably needs to kill some of the "balance" in the middle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:A10 has a little bit of work to do if it wants to be a 3 bid conference, at least per RPI Forecast. Can even stretch to 4 bids, but probably needs to kill some of the "balance" in the middle.
Superfly,
Look back and tell me when the last time the A10 got only 2 bids to the NCAA tournament. And look at the quantity of bids each year while you are at it for the past 10 years.
I will wear a PC Jersey to next year's URI - PC game at the Dunk AND I'll eat my computer if the A10 gets only 2 bids.
Absolutely no possible way the A10 gets 2 bids. Far too much respect for the A10 Nationally for that to happen

Superfly,
You say "at least by RPI forecast " ......did you do any research at all before making this statement?

I went to latest RPI stats:
#3 Dayton 8–1 A10 including a win over #21 Vanderbilt on Vandy's home court this week
#5 Xavier NBE
#6 Villanova NBE
#7 Davidson 6-1 A10
#10 George Washington 8-1 A10 including a win over #6 Virginia

So the A10 has 3 teams in the RPI Top 10 yet you say the A10 will struggle to get 3 bids "at least based on RPI forecast"
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It's a good thing that a computer doesn't decide the at-large bids.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The A-10 currently has a OOC winning percentage of .6909 (76-34) per Live-RPI.com. Its associated RPIForcast.com site projects the A-10 to finish with an OOC winning percentage at .6807 (113-53). There is only one season (2014) in the last 16 where the A-10 did better and it got six bids that year. Based on the correlation of past NCAA bids and OOC winning percentage, the league is well situated for multiple bids this year.

Historical Data:
.708 - 2014 Atlantic 10 - 6 bids
.654 - 2013 Atlantic 10 - 5 bids
.643 - 2008 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.624 - 2012 Atlantic 10 - 4 bids
.624 - 2010 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.600 - 2015 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.593 - 2009 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.587 - 2004 Atlantic 10 - 4 bids
.587 - 2011 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.559 - 2000 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.556 - 2001 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.555 - 2006 Atlantic 10 - 2 bids
.541 - 2007 Atlantic 10 - 2 bids
.536 - 2003 Atlantic 10 - 3 bids
.522 - 2002 Atlantic 10 - 1 bid
.406 - 2005 Atlantic 10 - 1 bid
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramster, RPI forecast has nothing to do with RPI today, but forecasting wins and losses going forward to roughly estimate a teams RPI on Selection Sunday. When you look at that, the top 3 RPIs in the A10 are 14, 45, and 51. Now if you read the totality of my post, you'd see it's still early but I think the A10 has to solidify its top a little more before conference play, or hope the middle isn't hurting it. That's why I keep referring to the A10 of this year a lot like the BE of a few years back. Sometimes being "deep" can hurt the conference, if the depth isn't NCAA quality. RPI Forecast of today thinks the A10 can have 8 Top 90 teams, but only 2 Top 50 teams.

But to be honest, I think the A10 is 3 maybe 4 bids, but it's certainly no guarantee.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

yes cooley trolled you to perfection because this thread is still alive.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Ramster, RPI forecast has nothing to do with RPI today, but forecasting wins and losses going forward to roughly estimate a teams RPI on Selection Sunday. When you look at that, the top 3 RPIs in the A10 are 14, 45, and 51. Now if you read the totality of my post, you'd see it's still early but I think the A10 has to solidify its top a little more before conference play, or hope the middle isn't hurting it. That's why I keep referring to the A10 of this year a lot like the BE of a few years back. Sometimes being "deep" can hurt the conference, if the depth isn't NCAA quality. RPI Forecast of today thinks the A10 can have 8 Top 90 teams, but only 2 Top 50 teams.
SF,
Not sure I understand the RPI forecast versus today, but I still found it incredulous that you thought the A10 could get only 2 bids this year when Dayton, Davidson and GW are in the top 10 in the latest RPI numbers.
But RPI aside the A10 has been a minimum of 3 teams with 5 and even 6 in the past 8 years - never 2.
I did read your post and of course it's early, don't even need to read the entirety of your post to know that.
I don't see the A10 being deep.
3-5 teams will distance themselves from the pack as happens most every year and at least the top 3 A10 teams will go NCAA.
To me the RPI is over rated especially this time of year.
Use the OOC games to prepare for conference then come in the Top 3 spots and you have it.
URI is not out of contention either, and Richmond is a solid team.

I do understand the depth point you bring up which is valid, need to see how things play out in both of our conferences.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/A10.html

that's the forecast he is referencing. all based on projected W-L records.

50+ RPI is soft bubble for at large. obviously a lot can change.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

peeps4life wrote:http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/A10.html

that's the forecast he is referencing. all based on projected W-L records.

50+ RPI is soft bubble for at large. obviously a lot can change.
Thanks, I get it now, interesting data.

But I think RPI only comes into play with very few teams that are borderline.

Where you finish in the conference is huge. Finish in Top 3-4 in A10 great - if not in top 3-4 then RPI is mostly for dreamers.

What DH did with scheduling was preparing URI for the Conference Play and that Top 3 finish - it can still happen
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can't believe we are having this conversation so early this year, but as I've said in the past I think RPI forecast is very helpful in terms of understanding the big picture, but much less helpful in terms of predicting the results for any given team. Especially this early. Maybe in February when there are 6 or 7 games left there is enough data on all the teams to say what the likelihood is that the team will finish 5-2 as opposed to 3-4 or whatever. But for now, I trust the formula to tell me if a given team finishes with a certain record what RPI range that will put them in, because it is dealing with a ton of data there and it is more of a macro view. I trust it less to tell me the likelihood that a team will finish with a certain record/RPI because there are just too many unknowable variables that will go into it at this point.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think it's good for it's intended purpose. A team with a projected RPI of 60 who wins what they should and loses what they should probably isn't making the tournament, even with slight adjustments from now until March. I like knowing roughly where my team needs to be to get in. That may change a little but you're talking a game or 2 max in either direction.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I don't agree with your last sentence, but I do agree with what you said before that. I think overall with respect to 330 teams it is remarkably good, but with respect to any one team I think it can miss badly. Again, because of how many thing that can happen over the course of the year - injuries, coaching adjustments, emergence of a younger player, role changes, "chemistry" or momentum type things that can effect a team in either direction, etc. I like to know my team needs to get to X number of wins to have a realistic shot at the end, but I don't look at it and think RPI forecast says I'm going to come up two games short, so I might as well follow the NBA this winter and forget about college basketball.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Maybe my opinion didn't come of correctly ... I like the spot on RPI Forecast titled "RPI Forecast by Final Record," where they project RPI's based on number of wins/losses. For example, it says if URI has a record of 22-9, they would have a projected RPI of 33. I'd say if I'm a URI fan and wants a fair number of wins to make the tournament, I'm probably looking at 22. If I'm a PC fan, they project for an RPI of 35 at a record of 21-10, so if I'm watching that now, I'm counting ways to get to at least 21 wins. As the season goes on obviously those numbers will update some, maybe you need to win one more game or can afford to lose another game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yes, that's what I've been saying since my first post in this thread.

ETA: oops, actually that was in a different thread (something about being ranked). So maybe you didn't see any of those posts. But that is exactly what I find valuable about it. The actual RPI that it forecasts for URI or PC as of this date I find much less valuable, and I guess I thought that is what you were arguing for since what I think started this conversation was you or the other PC guy saying that RPI forecast only had three A10 teams forecasted in the top-50 or whatever, and I don't put much stock in that.
0 x