Path to getting Ranked

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Path to getting Ranked

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:Path to getting ranked?
Don't lose.
1/3 of the season is gone, opportunities missed.
There can't be any more "what if" scenarios, a la JB's leaderless miscues and last year's shit-the-bed finish.
But it will happen; a string of bad losses to, say, Nebraska, Iona; St. Joe's; perhaps to Fordham -- yes, Fordham; then GW, Dayton, VCU, Davidson, and then that's all she wrote. Depending upon what happens in the A-10 tourney, NOT WINNING IT, the NIT is in question.
However, after watching Dayton out-execute and finish-off Vanderbilt the other night, I still desire and expect this team to be led as Dayton has been coached: Where there's a will, there's a way. No excuses.
Did we really shit the bed at the end of last year? We went 6-4 in our last 10 before the NIT, and the only bad loss of the bunch was to St. Joe's. The other losses were to Davidson and twice to Dayton.

I guess, when you don't have that many resume build opportunity games (like Dayton and Davidson) and you lose all of them, that seems it would qualify as STB...?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Or that's just who you are, and last year we were an NIT team. The Davidson game we should have/could have won, but we didn't play poorly and still lost. To me, last year's team didn't underachieve or overachieve, that's just what they were.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If we win our last 4 non-conference games that will probably get us a couple votes again. We would then probably need to go 6-1 or 5-2 at the very minimum against Dayton, Vcu, Davidson, Umass, and Gw. That and no bad losses we should be an NCAA tournament team. If we go 2-2 these last four games we are going to have to do a lot in the A10. The valpo and pc losses really suck because they are both top 30 wins.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:If we win our last 4 non-conference games that will probably get us a couple votes again. We would then probably need to go 6-1 or 5-2 at the very minimum against Dayton, Vcu, Davidson, Umass, and Gw. That and no bad losses we should be an NCAA tournament team. If we go 2-2 these last four games we are going to have to do a lot in the A10. The valpo and pc losses really suck because they are both top 30 wins.
Win the last four OOC games, then go 5-2 against those teams, with no bad losses, puts us at 26-5 and probably a 3-4 seed in the tournament. That is an extremely unlikely scenario. 3-1 in our remaining OOC games and 14-4 in conference would put us safely in the field; 3-1 / 13-5 would make us a strong bubble team with a legit chance to get one of the last handful of at-large spots.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:If we win our last 4 non-conference games that will probably get us a couple votes again. We would then probably need to go 6-1 or 5-2 at the very minimum against Dayton, Vcu, Davidson, Umass, and Gw. That and no bad losses we should be an NCAA tournament team. If we go 2-2 these last four games we are going to have to do a lot in the A10. The valpo and pc losses really suck because they are both top 30 wins.
Win the last four OOC games, then go 5-2 against those teams, with no bad losses, puts us at 26-5 and probably a 3-4 seed in the tournament. That is an extremely unlikely scenario. 3-1 in our remaining OOC games and 14-4 in conference would put us safely in the field; 3-1 / 13-5 would make us a strong bubble team with a legit chance to get one of the last handful of at-large spots.
Sure 3-1 would be fine as long as we don't lose to Brown... I guess it depends on what you view as bad losses. I think we could afford a road loss at say St. Joes or Bonnies as long as we have a strong showing against the top teams. If we go 13-5 and we are 2-5 against the top teams I don't see us getting in. I also don't even know why I'm talking about it we have such a long long way to go so I hope we just win Sunday.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Cracking the Top 25 is also not all about how you are doing... You need teams in the Top 25 and "Others Receiving Votes" to falter and open up spots.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:Cracking the Top 25 is also not all about how you are doing... You need teams in the Top 25 and "Others Receiving Votes" to falter and open up spots.
And when that day comes.... it will be THE topic of discussion and ----> "party at the Ry!"
BTW, someone on this board with more history than me must know...when was the last time they were ranked?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

2008?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah Feb 2008 we were 19-3 and lost at home to UMass (by a bucket, I think). That was the last game we played while ranked. Would love to see the attendance for that game, actually. Must've been close to a full house.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Beat Valpo and PC and play Turtles tough and we would be ranked now.

It is a long uphill battle to get there now. Tomorrow va UNE is the place to start.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Beat Syracuse that year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah Feb 2008 we were 19-3 and lost at home to UMass (by a bucket, I think). That was the last game we played while ranked. Would love to see the attendance for that game, actually. Must've been close to a full house.

lost 98-91
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

2008 was literally one of the biggest letdowns... 19-3 with one of Barons biggest wins @Syracuse.... We lost to Temple, Xavier, Umass, St. Joes and GW and it blew our chances... We had to win maybe 2 of those because we started out so strong and we were in.. We ended up 7-9 in the A-10 and still had 21 wins.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote:
It is a long uphill battle to get there now. Tomorrow va UNE is the place to start.
(Sunday)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So to attendance questions and ranked questions.......................win, get ranked, get attendance. Pretty simple formula. History shows the crowds will show.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Get ranked, get attendance, party on, Garth :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Yeah Feb 2008 we were 19-3 and lost at home to UMass (by a bucket, I think). That was the last game we played while ranked. Would love to see the attendance for that game, actually. Must've been close to a full house.

lost 98-91
Yeah, so some confusion here that was my fault. I just looked it up - the game I was thinking of we lost to UMass when we were 19-3 was 76-74, but the game was at UMass. We actually weren't ranked at that time, either. We were as high as #20 a couple weeks earlier when we were 14-1, but we lost to Dayton and St. Louis in a three game stretch and were out of the polls. We must have been close when we played UMass, though, because we won the four games between the SLU and UMass games to get to 19-3. That UMass game sent us into a tailspin, knocking us from clearly into the field to clearly out of it. After the loss at UMass, we squeaked by a truly terrible Fordham team then lost five in a row and six of seven to close the season (including the 98-91 loss to UMass at home). Add in the losses in the first round of the A10 tourney and the NIT, we closed that season 2-9 after starting 19-3 for one of the truly heartbreaking and infuriating seasons of my life.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Get ranked, get attendance, party on, Garth :lol:
URI has shown some pretty great attendance records when ranked. PC, not so much.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:

lost 98-91
Yeah, so some confusion here that was my fault. I just looked it up - the game I was thinking of we lost to UMass when we were 19-3 was 76-74, but the game was at UMass. We actually weren't ranked at that time, either. We were as high as #20 a couple weeks earlier when we were 14-1, but we lost to Dayton and St. Louis in a three game stretch and were out of the polls. We must have been close when we played UMass, though, because we won the four games between the SLU and UMass games to get to 19-3. That UMass game sent us into a tailspin, knocking us from clearly into the field to clearly out of it. After the loss at UMass, we squeaked by a truly terrible Fordham team then lost five in a row and six of seven to close the season (including the 98-91 loss to UMass at home). Add in the losses in the first round of the A10 tourney and the NIT, we closed that season 2-9 after starting 19-3 for one of the truly heartbreaking and infuriating seasons of my life.
Brings up some horrifying memories. The Baron collapses were unprecedented.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:

lost 98-91
That season was beyond infuriating. Ugh just thinking about it makes me angry.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

steveystuds06 wrote:2008 was literally one of the biggest letdowns... 19-3 with one of Barons biggest wins @Syracuse.... We lost to Temple, Xavier, Umass, St. Joes and GW and it blew our chances... We had to win maybe 2 of those because we started out so strong and we were in.. We ended up 7-9 in the A-10 and still had 21 wins.
Yep, will never forget that week in late February. Monday night close home loss to xavier, Thursday night loss at home vs Umass (I remember SeaWright giving up a 7 point play late in the game. Turned the ball over, intentional fouled the guy on a made layup, 2 FT's made, Umass inbounds and hits a 3) , and then we lost to Saint Joe's at home on sunday.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thread is about path to be ranked. Mention of the _ _ _ _ _ years should not belong in any thread about rankings or NCAA
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Through the orthopedic office, physical therapy, psych ward, and finally recruiting trail, for a legit five.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This thread needs to die. Not worth commenting on any more.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

0 x
'No Mercy.'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:This thread needs to die. Not worth commenting on any more.
Then stop commenting on it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RIFan wrote:Cracking the Top 25 is also not all about how you are doing... You need teams in the Top 25 and "Others Receiving Votes" to falter and open up spots.
And when that day comes.... it will be THE topic of discussion and ----> "party at the Ry!"
BTW, someone on this board with more history than me must know...when was the last time they were ranked?
Here's the history of URI in the rankings. #20 is the high water mark.....

http://wwwc.collegepollarchive.com/mbas ... m78Rtq9KSN
0 x