Game 9: Houston at the Ryan Center 12/8 7pm on OSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 9: Houston at the Ryan Center 12/8 7pm on OSN

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, but the singers I like also have great guitar players, great drummers, great bass players, occasionally great keyboard players. Back when I was growing up, they were called bands.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Gee, Luciano Pavarotti doesn't meet your high standards.
I'm sure the million who saw him in Central Park
and the millions worldwide, who loved him would disagree .
I've seen each of the 3 Tenors and each was a religious experience.
Well, Jose Carreras, less so than Placido Domingo and Pav.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I don't agree a ton with Donaldson. But he was right. Especially about Hurley imploring fans to turn out. EC's injury took some of the wind out, but attendance has been a srruggle. Can't blame Baron anymore.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I disagree with him here:

We've lost every big game except against Nebraska. Attendance was poor for VCU and Davidson, but those extra 500-1000 fans wouldn't have altered the decibel level much. If anything, the argument can be made we do better with thousands of empty seats (kidding...kinda).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There were 6,050 for Davidson, and 6,011 for VCU,
which looks pretty good compared to any of the non-PC
crowds this year.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Those were announced numbers not actual. For VCU the attendance was in the 4000s per Dan on his radio show.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like the band too. Bands can play anything. It can be contemporary and the band can play it. Happens every week on most campuses.

Crowd issue is an issue on every campus. Journalists pointing it out is dumb to me. Seems like they are being told to say something. They should know that attendance is down across the board and places that are ALWAYS full are rare. I mean ALWAYS too because many places won't fill up for a cupcake in any sport.

Michigan State football is known for low attendance. UNC football this year despite being a dark horse to break things up.

Only schools insulated I think are like LSU, Auburn.... maybe Florida State, actually Tennessee is solid in attendance. UCLA is comically an empty stadium with a top 15 team.

Basketball is similar at schools that are not the top 10. Also they don't put non-marquee match-ups on television unless the team is in rarified air. Whats that mean? You aren't catching the equivalent of a URI v Holy Cross basketball game on TV. So you don't get to see the empty stands.

I always questioned why URI didn't put up like huge posters on the side of buildings promoting sports events. That is a common promotional tool at many schools that gets the event in your mind.

Not having Dan for periodic meetings with the most supportive part of the fanbase(season ticket holders) is egregious. Dan is likable and people like to be around him. They need to figure that out.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It always amazes me the number of season tickets sold and no shows.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, there were 2,00 no shows for VCU?
Sounds like baloney to me.
I don;t care what Dan said on his show.
He's supposed to coach, not count the house.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The announced number is always different than the actual number, but as far as I've been told never the sizable difference you imply. The only group where no-shows are a factor are season ticket holders of the full season type, so for Dan to be correct, then about 2000 of that group didn't show up for the VCU game. The only time that degree of no shows occurs is due to a snowstorm like the Fairfield game several years ago. Generally, the number of no shows is higher for the OOC than the conference games, numbering only about 100-200 max. Neither math or logic support what Dan said.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:
ace wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:The only good thing about the poor attendance was I was able to enjoy the second half sitting 10 feet from Coach Hurley when it was clear many seats were not filled behind Steve and Don. It was an educational experience.
There are just so many ways to interpret that last sentence

:)
Actually, I should clarify. Dan was very intense but did not cross the line with the refs. He had a good working relationship with this crew, I thought. He was able to get explanations of calls which satisfied him and there was not much tension there (from what I observed close up in 2nd half).

I guarantee that some refs misinterpret Dan's shouting and "energy" as directed towards them, when usually he's talking to his team. His guys "get it".

Dan also beats up the padded scorer's table right where Stevie Mac sits, both for good and bad events in the game. He does a good job not knocking over his juice bottle and marker, however he did make the marker go flying on one occasion (after a Rhody And-1 midway through 2nd half).

Also, educational because I was able to hear all the verbal communication from Dan and Coach Carr, the scout for this game. Calling out screens and offensive sets, the coaches are always saying something. There was even a time after Hass was beat on the defensive end that Dan had to shout and remind #12 that his opponent was left handed like he was.

After a whistle, Dan is always coaching and supporting his players. He never missed a chance to acknowledge a player coming off the floor, even if it was after a mistake. Dan appreciated the effort of every Ram this night, as he expressed in his post game comments.

It's obvious to me why his players often speak of Dan as a father figure, in all the best ways.
Not that he doesn't get his shots in, because he does, but I do agree about some of his actions and what he's saying being misinterpreted, maybe by refs and definitely by fans. What you said reminded me of a St. Benedict's game years ago. I was with someone who had never really watched Dan coach. The team had been working on something (I forget the details by now) in practice, and it was close but just a step off. They ran it in the game to perfection, and Dan reacted like he does- turned around, yelled, hit the table. He asked me what Dan was upset about, but every player knew exactly what the reaction was and that it was positive.

Dan's done talking about attendance, except to thank the people who are supporting. Just another thing to howl at the moon about, I guess.

Also, I wasn't going to mention it, but I'm happy about the win and even happier they beat a team with Damyean Dotson on it.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The RI economy is not all that great and there is a good deal of competition for entertainment dollars. Many URI grads, myself included, move out of the region for better career options. If URI wants higher attendance they can either market the heck out of the team, improve the team, lower ticket prices or raise the ticket allotment for the students. It is a waste of time to complain about the market reality.

There are not that many die hard fans but everyone loves a winner.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe the political correctness machine has an impact. At Keaney as a student, I was oblivious to the fact that non students were in the building (probably due to some good fraternity pre-gaming). I acted like a college student and said whatever I wanted to. I had fun even during the years we were not very good. We still went and just taunted the hell out of the refs. But we could say what we wanted to. I don't think I heard one F PC chant saturday. Oh well, you get what you policy for.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:So, there were 2,00 no shows for VCU?
Sounds like baloney to me.
I don;t care what Dan said on his show.
He's supposed to coach, not count the house.
No I didn't say 4000. I said in the 4000s and I later confirmed this with an athletic dept member who was at the coaches show.

But you must be right Rod. Yes sir!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, 1,500. 1,800, 2,000.
As Obadaiah said, that's an outlandish number.
I don't care what your buddy said at the coach's show.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I actually have to agree with Rod here. There is no way there was less than 5,000 people at the VCU game. I have always suspected that the Ryan Center attendance figures were understated. I have no idea what their motive would be for doing that, but I feel very strongly that they have never overstated attendance by almost 50%.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was at the VCU game and the Davidson game last year. There were 5,000 at the VCU game and there were 6,000 at the Davidson game. The crowd at the Davidson game was very loud.

Rhody has never had strong fan support in attendence numbers. RI is not a big basketball state. URI doesn't draw from a major city. The team hasn't had a prolonged run of good years since the Ryan Center opened.

I have been to every home game this year. The crowd size is a downer most games.

The only chance of this changing is a few years of making the Tournament. If the crowds do come it will most likely be AFTER two strong years and not during those two strong years. Even if the team does accomplish this success, the crowd size still might not increase significantly.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hard to believe we once (1978) averaged
9,300 at the PCC.
Our fanbase was destroyed by CFL -Jerry D.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:The only chance of this changing is a few years of making the Tournament. If the crowds do come it will most likely be AFTER two strong years and not during those two strong years. Even if the team does accomplish this success, the crowd size still might not increase significantly.
I kind of agree. If we are in position to make the tournament early in the conference schedule, the attendance for the rest of that season will tick up, but maybe not a huge amount. If they end up making the tournament and then come back the next year and there are high expectations and they get off to a good start, I think during that second year you will start seeing big crowds (i.e., games like Holy Cross and Houston will get 6,000; opening night and games against name opponents will come close to selling out). I'd love to put that to the test and see if I'm right, but that is my belief.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:I enjoyed the Quidnesett event after last season.
The thing at Chello's was for $$$$ people only.
I don't know, it's just my impression that we're a bit
taken for granted.
I don't need my ass kissed, but I see a lessening of
things aimed at showing some appreciation for those
who put their money and time, where their mouths are.
Institutional History -- the People -- means nothing today.
The word "Loyalty" is thrown around only when it is useful and beneficial to those who utter it, not those who have it as part of their character.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:OK, 1,500. 1,800, 2,000.
As Obadaiah said, that's an outlandish number.
I don't care what your buddy said at the coach's show.
You are incorrect, Rod. It's OK to admit that from time to time. I'm pretty sure the person who I spoke to knows exactly what the announced and actual attendance figures are from game to game.

See my post on the subject: http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?p=182161#p182161

In the post you can even hear Dan say that it was 4700 (61% capacity) for VCU when announced was just over 6000. Remember this game was played without any students (also discussed in that radio segment). Makes sense that for Davidson, the only difference was that we had another 1000 or so students show up.

Love how selectively we don't believe Dan's attention to detail especially on a subject on which he is very passionate and concerned.
ATPTourFan wrote:On this week's radio show Dan was none pleased about VCU game showing of less than 5000 actual humans in the Ryan Center. Announced was 6000 but Dan knows actual gate number and said it on the air.

I went back and looked it up on the radio show and at the 9:05 mark Dan hesitates to carefully say how he'd hope this team would draw more fans. Hurley said it was a "good crowd but we probably could have squeezed a couple more in there as well".

At the 10:30 mark Dan said it was 4700 for VCU and Steve jumped in and said "it was a little over six (thousand)". Dan said, "uh, actual", and Steve hesitated again and it was just a bit awkward when the super-secret actual attendance was revealed on the air.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, so now it's 1,400 plus no shows.
So, why is the RC playing games with the numbers?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

;) People, please...!!! This is critical and it seems like time is a-wastin'!!! We need to know EXACTLY how many people there were at that game that happened last year.

Not only that, but once we do find out the REAL attendance number, we need to track down everyone that said it was something different, seize their meal cards, and stamp them "No Dessert!". And, if they are caught doing that again, we need to start canceling their pets' birthdays. This is just not acceptable...hopefully, we get to the bottom of this soon. Carry on.... ;)
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Should we go forward with a lot less TV games??
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I meant a lot less TV games on COX?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

eli#10 wrote:I meant a lot less TV games on COX?
No. Most studies of blackouts on pro teams show it doesn't really have a measurable effect on attendance. It also probably has a long-term negative effect on popularity, albeit a slight one. The more and wider you broadcast, the greater chance that you'll be seen by someone who eventually buys a ticket. For years before every MLB team got decent regional cable broadcasts, the Braves and Cubs had an advantage because their games were broadcast nationally, and there is a similar measurable effect with the Packers and Cowboys.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

No home games on TV please !!!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You cannot be serious. TV is the easiest way to get our product in front of the eyes of those potential fringe fans. It's easier to convince someone who has seen a great game on TV to try a live game in the Ryan Center.

Plus, again, sponsors and partners. I think Cox is serving us quite well with all the quality media, from post game video to pre-post game write-ups by guys like DiSano to podcasts.. never mind just the live streaming and live TV production.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We really need a game every night because some of the these non-basketball conversations are insane.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:We really need a game every night because some of the these non-basketball conversations are insane.
Actually some of the basketball conversations can get insane too. :D
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Touché
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Takes all kinds....or else this place would get pretty boring.... :P
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:You cannot be serious. TV is the easiest way to get our product in front of the eyes of those potential fringe fans. It's easier to convince someone who has seen a great game on TV to try a live game in the Ryan Center.

Plus, again, sponsors and partners. I think Cox is serving us quite well with all the quality media, from post game video to pre-post game write-ups by guys like DiSano to podcasts.. never mind just the live streaming and live TV production.
Also a great recruiting tool.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree with the above...there's no such thing as too much TV coverage...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With so many other options for entertainment available, why would a local non-URI fan watch a URI game on Cox? I'm not being an ass here, just asking a question.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Billyboy78 wrote:why would a local non-URI fan watch a URI game on Cox?
For the same reason I watched part of the BC v PC game the other night. I am a local non-PC fan but still watched parts of the game. Sure, maybe some of it had to do with the hopes that one of the BC players shit himself on court because of the Norovirus. But I watched because I enjoy college basketball, regardless of the team.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

spookydog wrote:
For the same reason I watched part of the BC v PC game the other night. I am a local non-PC fan but still watched parts of the game. Sure, maybe some of it had to do with the hopes that one of the BC players shit himself on court because of the Norovirus. But I watched because I enjoy college basketball, regardless of the team.
If you're a basketball fan in this state, you're most likely a PC fan. They are not going to become URI fans because a game is on Cox. I don't imagine there are too many basketball fans in our state trying to find a team to root for. And the only people who are going to watch a basketball game on Cox are basketball fans. I see the advantages of being televised nationally, but see no advantage to being televised locally on Cox.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think the home games on tv has negligible impact on attendance. People don't go for other reasons. I feel tv is important. If the games were not on tv, only a few people in the state would see Rhody basketball. TV gives the program exposure and makes them relevant. Some people that watch the games on tv will get to some games in person. In the end, it is a net gain on several fronts.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
spookydog wrote:
If you're a basketball fan in this state, you're most likely a PC fan. They are not going to become URI fans because a game is on Cox. I don't imagine there are too many basketball fans in our state trying to find a team to root for. And the only people who are going to watch a basketball game on Cox are basketball fans. I see the advantages of being televised nationally, but see no advantage to being televised locally on Cox.
Yeah, but if you are a Rhody fan that cannot realistically go to every game then being able to watch games on TV becomes very important in terms of being able to follow the team and stay engaged. We have to be the only fan base in the history of sports that has asked whether our games should be on TV with a straight face. It is honestly one of the more absurd discussions I've ever heard. There are at least a dozen reasons to put the games on TV and zero reasons not to.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:If you're a basketball fan in this state, you're most likely a PC fan. They are not going to become URI fans because a game is on Cox. I don't imagine there are too many basketball fans in our state trying to find a team to root for. And the only people who are going to watch a basketball game on Cox are basketball fans. I see the advantages of being televised nationally, but see no advantage to being televised locally on Cox.
Obviously the rivalry is big for us, but I think while most RI's prefer one team over the other, they want both to be successful. I don't think there's as many people that are Fuck PC! or Fuck URI! So yes, I think there's a way to pick up more passionate fans by televising games.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

+1 (to the TP post)
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I would never watch a PC game. I'd need to have a barf bag handy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once more, according to the great judge of all things,
our fanbase is just one step above pond scum,
because some of us don;t think giving away the product is wise.
We're just absurd and the only fanbase in history to ask this question (source?)
Way to run a discussion board!
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Some insight here on why a television blackout is a spectacularly bad idea:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/stor ... id=4064873
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Any coincidence that during the blackout, the Black Hawks were dreadful?
Maybe a reason why nobody went to the games?
Not sure how comparing a major league pro team in a giant city
to Cox 5 broadcasts is a good parallel.
Again, I don't mind a good discussion, and maybe those who think putting every game on is good, are right.
but putting posters down for their asking the question? No.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Once more, according to the great judge of all things,
our fanbase is just one step above pond scum,
because some of us don;t think giving away the product is wise.
We're just absurd and the only fanbase in history to ask this question (source?)
Way to run a discussion board!
I'm not calling anyone pond scum or anything else, but sometimes we (myself included) have crazy ideas. That's OK! But don't get mad at me for calling it crazy. Wanting our basketball games to be on TV less is indisputably a bad idea and one of the crazier things I've ever heard. If you disagree, show me an example of anyone taking their games off TV in attempt to make their team or league more popular and let me know how that worked out. I know it's coming from a good place of wanting to help attendance, but it would be neutral in the near term and would have the opposite effect in long term.

One way to not run a discussion board is to have an environment where no ideas can be challenged, no matter how absurd. Challenging ideas is the basis of discussion. All ideas are welcome, but all ideas are not good ideas. We need to be allowed to say so without hurting anyone's feelings.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

This program needs as much publicity and exposure as possible to help increase attendance. Having games televised only helps gets the program more exposure
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How many people have Cox? I don't know anyone. I switched to satellites more than han 10 years ago.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Doesn't tv money help the program? Who is going to make up for the tv money? $15 seats in the 300 section? I think not.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:How many people have Cox? I don't know anyone. I switched to satellites more than han 10 years ago.
Cox isn't even an option for me where I live, but because Cox broadcasts the games I can watch them on my TV (using their streaming service). That holds true for people in RI that don't have Cox also.
0 x