Game 9: Houston at the Ryan Center 12/8 7pm on OSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 9: Houston at the Ryan Center 12/8 7pm on OSN

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:The injury to EC is definitely having an impact on attendance. Sucks, but it is what it is.
It's not even that. Beat Valpo, and if you got the win Saturday there would've been another 2000 people in the stands. I think people are over EC's injury...or at least come to terms with it. Even if we didn't beat Valpo, a PC win energizes this fan base. It's been 6 god damn years. At this point we're almost permanently the little brother in this state.

This is just the same old story year in and year out. The fans who have seen it before are getting tired of it, and the fans who went to school in the 00's/Barren years never felt any connection to the team because they never saw a legitimate win period.

So yeah the EC injury sucks - but if you win big games people will show up.

It might not be fair to this team right now, but they have to understand what the majority of fans have been subjected to from well before their time. Just because a lot of things are different...when you continue to lose to your instate rival, lose every "big game" that is played, then couple that with the "family friendly atmosphere" that the Ryan Center so desperately wants...why the hell would anyone go to a game until proven otherwise?

And Buckets you're doing a hell of a job. It's heavy lifting to try and energize fans with all of the above that I listed. It's sad that they need you to get up for games, but they certainly need you. Keep it up.
It is kind of that, at least indirectly, because with EC maybe we do take down Valpo and Providence. Also, if he is having a good year, you're getting some NBA hype in the local paper and stuff (not at the Dunn level, but it would be mentioned), and that can draw some people out also. I agree that people probably aren't like "should I go to the URI game? Nah, EC is hurt" but that doesn't mean it isn't having an impact.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Marketing this season has not been as aggressive as in years past IMO.
Agreed winning cures all, but there is a happy medium.
This team should be drawing 5K no matter what, and go from there for magnitude of game and timing.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote:It's not even that. Beat Valpo, and if you got the win Saturday there would've been another 2000 people in the stands. I think people are over EC's injury...or at least come to terms with it. Even if we didn't beat Valpo, a PC win energizes this fan base. It's been 6 god damn years. At this point we're almost permanently the little brother in this state.

This is just the same old story year in and year out. The fans who have seen it before are getting tired of it, and the fans who went to school in the 00's/Barren years never felt any connection to the team because they never saw a legitimate win period.

So yeah the EC injury sucks - but if you win big games people will show up.

It might not be fair to this team right now, but they have to understand what the majority of fans have been subjected to from well before their time. Just because a lot of things are different...when you continue to lose to your instate rival, lose every "big game" that is played, then couple that with the "family friendly atmosphere" that the Ryan Center so desperately wants...why the hell would anyone go to a game until proven otherwise?

And Buckets you're doing a hell of a job. It's heavy lifting to try and energize fans with all of the above that I listed. It's sad that they need you to get up for games, but they certainly need you. Keep it up.
I agree 100% with all of this.

The majority of people occupying the "good seats" at the lower levels are significantly older, and they can hardly even clap, let alone stand up. They don't get riled up by EZ's great efforts at all. I get it that they are buying the season tickets which is fine, but the average age in the 100 level sections on the sides of the court is up there. Lots of them have a hard time getting in and out of the arena. It is what it is I guess...but it does segregate the potential for loud crowd noise.

Some of it also has to be the "instant gratification" culture we are immersed in today. the majority of students don't have the patience to sit through the team's development, and if the team is not ranked, it's not worth it to them to go to the game. Many other distractions that prevent the kids from focusing on a basketball team for entertainment.

Win the bigger, meaningful games, and that will attract the fair-weather fans. Continue to choke in the clutch, and things stay the same. Simple as that.

P.S. - Bring back the "U-R-URI, U-R-URI" chant.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BornNBred33 wrote:The "GET IN THE HOLE" guy needs to stop and needs to stop now. It is so freakin annoying. SHUT THIS GUY UP!
I know Blue Man, The Dude, and I want to make this guy stop.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Funny, even during the PC game, you feel when you stand
up, you're blocking the people behind you because they're
sitting down.
As BAR noted, marketing seems less aggressive this season.
I felt season ticket holders were valued more in past years.
This year, no Rhody Joe's event after the season.
No pre-season thing, like the Alpine.
No people like Adam Schemm greeting you like an old friend.
I may be wrong, but it's like, "OK, we built the program to
what it is, so we don't have to worry about the people
coming to the games."
It's not just my thinking, but several others I've spoken to, who are
regulars at the RC.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Funny, even during the PC game, you feel when you stand
up, you're blocking the people behind you because they're
sitting down.
As BAR noted, marketing seems less aggressive this season.
I felt season ticket holders were valued more in past years.
This year, no Rhody Joe's event after the season.
No pre-season thing, like the Alpine.
No people like Adam Schemm greeting you like an old friend.
I may be wrong, but it's like, "OK, we built the program to
what it is, so we don't have to worry about the people
coming to the games."
It's not just my thinking, but several others I've spoken to, who are
regulars at the RC.
Surprising lack of presence/enthusiasm from the marketing people, to be sure.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This is more of a RI thing than a URI thing, but I feel like if you ask people north of Providence to drive down to Kingston, you might as well be asking them to drive to New Jersey.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I find it funny that no one on this board has ever heard a criticism of EZbuckets, yet he was blasted on this very board before people realized he was a member.
It's an anonymous message board, I'm here to share my thoughts as a fan and shed some insight when I can as one of the only staff members who post. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to share it. Just because I post here shouldn't change that. You don't like me, perfectly fine...I don't need everyone's validation. You made a criticism and I responded with my view.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think if Rhody had beaten Valpo and PC, attendance would be entirely different. Wins in those games would have generated excitement and momentum for future games. Instead, the close defeats just reinforced the notion that URI is in for another so so year with extremely frustrating losses to the better teams on the schedule. In other words, same as prior years, nothing special ahead. It may not be entirely fair, but that is what we are dealing with. We have not danced since 1999 and never seem able to put it all together. It has become like the movie GROUNDHOG DAY with history repeating itself over and over again. Even the NIT has gotten old and doesn't generate much enthusiasm these days as evidenced by our home attendance in the last few appearances.

Chew on this fact - for all the criticism that football gets, it averaged 4,753 for a one win team this past season. That number is likely to be just a few hundred short of our men's hoops team, the marquis program at URI.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Agree with Rod on the points made about the season ticket holders, there was a Chello's event in Spring/Summer that may have been invite only to season ticket holders and donors; maybe just donors. Also an end of season banquet at Quinn CC; the first one no charge to attendees, the Q event was a fee. I do think thou that the season ticket holders are kinda taken for granted group, as the age demographic, mobility, lack of cheering/standing.....I feel it in my section sometimes....The Alpine CC type of event in pre-season is missing, the "mid nite madness" dunk fest is fine for some..... For me, not so much....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Smarty, I thought RI WAS North Jersey.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I enjoyed the Quidnesett event after last season.
The thing at Chello's was for $$$$ people only.
I don't know, it's just my impression that we're a bit
taken for granted.
I don't need my ass kissed, but I see a lessening of
things aimed at showing some appreciation for those
who put their money and time, where their mouths are.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:This is more of a RI thing than a URI thing, but I feel like if you ask people north of Providence to drive down to Kingston, you might as well be asking them to drive to New Jersey.

Hey its not always easy to drive through rush hour after a 8 or 9 hour work day to get to Kingston. I'm as big as a URI fan as anyone, but sometimes its difficult traveling from PEE CEE country.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think EZ Buckets role has changed over the years. It seems his main job now is to get the fans involved in the game, get the students excited, etc. I like that part of it. A few years back his role was more of a promotional one. Every timeout, it seemed there was a promotion of some sort. To me, that got a little annoying. While there is still some promotion involved, it seems there is much less. There's a better balance now. At least it seems that way to me. Am I right, EZ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think EZ Buckets role has changed over the years. It seems his main job now is to get the fans involved in the game, get the students excited, etc. I like that part of it. A few years back his role was more of a promotional one. Every timeout, it seemed there was a promotion of some sort. To me, that got a little annoying. While there is still some promotion involved, it seems there is much less. There's a better balance now. At least it seems that way to me. Am I right, EZ?
Yes, there definitely seems like there are far less promos, such a the t shirts being thrown, toy basketballs, and the parachute drop, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote:I think EZ Buckets role has changed over the years. It seems his main job now is to get the fans involved in the game, get the students excited, etc. I like that part of it. A few years back his role was more of a promotional one. Every timeout, it seemed there was a promotion of some sort. To me, that got a little annoying. While there is still some promotion involved, it seems there is much less. There's a better balance now. At least it seems that way to me. Am I right, EZ?
This is correct.

With our scoreboard & ribbon wrap tech upgrades over the past 2 seasons; we are now able to use them as a dynamic tool for sponsors to brand different elements throughout the game. Before the upgrades, the Sales staff had to lean heavily on me to deliver on-court promotions. I'm glad you all have noticed as I definitely understood people's gripes about having me on-court during every single timeout.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote:
This is correct.

With our scoreboard & ribbon wrap tech upgrades over the past 2 seasons; we are now able to use them as a dynamic tool for sponsors to brand different elements throughout the game. Before the upgrades, the Sales staff had to lean heavily on me to deliver on-court promotions. I'm glad you all have noticed as I definitely understood people's gripes about having me on-court during every single timeout.
Nothing against you EZ, but I prefer to see the cheerleaders and the ramettes during the timeouts.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like when the band plays during timeouts.
It's the only time you can talk to anyone sitting near you
about the game.
So much racket before the game, you have to go on the concourse to have a
basketball conversation.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I like when the band plays during timeouts.
It's the only time you can talk to anyone sitting near you
about the game.
So much racket before the game, you have to go on the concourse to have a
basketball conversation.
I bet you yell at people to stay off your lawn too.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote:Nothing against you EZ, but I prefer to see the cheerleaders and the ramettes during the timeouts.
No offense taken. They are much easier on the eyes. :lol:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

EZBuckets is an asset and far from the issue here -- an apathetic season ticket base and inconsistent student turnout is the issue. The last thing we need is to stifle someone who actually makes noise.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I'm astonished to hear talk about things being too loud or too much noise at the game. If anything, there is not enough. No offense Rod, but you being able to have a conversation at your seat means little to me if we can instead have a hyped arena.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

bigappleram wrote:EZBuckets is an asset and far from the issue here -- an apathetic season ticket base and inconsistent student turnout is the issue. The last thing we need is to stifle someone who actually makes noise.
Agreed a 150%
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Yes, there definitely seems like there are far less promos, such a the t shirts being thrown, toy basketballs, and the parachute drop, etc.
I would expect these to return for conference games which [SHOULD] be well attended.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How the fuck is blasting stupid rap music hyping up anything?
I guarantee I make more noise at the games than anyone of you
clowns taking shots at me.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

The part about having a hard time driving to the games from Providence is somewhat of a cop-out. I close my business near Rt. 495 in MA about 5:10-5:15, drive to Prov to pick up my wife and am always on time for the games. Now there may be a snow or rain issue where this may not happen, but it really is not a difficult drive. Yes sometimes the traffic is heavy in the Warwick area, but once you're on Rt4, it's a breeze.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

rodfromcranston wrote:How the fuck is blasting stupid rap music hyping up anything?
I guarantee I make more noise at the games than anyone of you
clowns taking shots at me.
Pretty sure the team has selected rap as their warm up music. Also pretty sure that the student section is also more hyped with the rap music. I can understand that you want to go back to the days of Zepplin but that time is over my friend.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, who'd want actual music, when you can
hear garbage lyrics to a beat?
The student section under the South basket looks
like someone sprayed ether on them.

'67. last night was the first time I've been late for the tipoff.
There was some accident near Warwick Mall.
I was stuck in one spot for about 15 minutes.
Christmas time is tough getting around north of Warwick.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, who'd want actual music, when you can
hear garbage lyrics to a beat?
Unfortunately Rod, rap is what the young crowd want (URI players and vast majority of the URI student body). I personally hate it. My 21 yo URI student nephew loves it and dresses somewhat accordingly (baggy pants riding low and wears the flat brim baseball cap). He may not fit the stereotype demographic for rap but he likes it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Every millennial likes at least some rap. Many of us also like Zeppelin, and there is a limitless number of things in between which covers a huge spectrum of personal tastes and sounds. My personal favorite musical act of all time is the Allman Brothers. Second is probably Nas. So tastes vary a bunch. Basketball culture is very much intertwined with hip-hop culture and has been for at least two decades. If you go to a basketball game at any level, from high school to NBA, you're going to hear some rap. Just the way it is.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EZBuckets wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I find it funny that no one on this board has ever heard a criticism of EZbuckets, yet he was blasted on this very board before people realized he was a member.
It's an anonymous message board, I'm here to share my thoughts as a fan and shed some insight when I can as one of the only staff members who post. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to share it. Just because I post here shouldn't change that. You don't like me, perfectly fine...I don't need everyone's validation. You made a criticism and I responded with my view.
I have no problem with you coming on here, and I appreciate you coming on here as a voice of the staff. That said, I hate the role that you have to play. But the main point of my post was when I said I disliked the role people said they'd never heard my specific complaint. I was just pointing out that there were several people on here who hated your role, right until they knew you were on here, then they loved what you did.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BleedBlue87
ARD

TruePoint wrote:Every millennial likes at least some rap. Many of us also like Zeppelin, and there is a limitless number of things in between which covers a huge spectrum of personal tastes and sounds. My personal favorite musical act of all time is the Allman Brothers. Second is probably Nas. So tastes vary a bunch. Basketball culture is very much intertwined with hip-hop culture and has been for at least two decades. If you go to a basketball game at any level, from high school to NBA, you're going to hear some rap. Just the way it is.
That is an eclectic taste. I have seen Nas live 4 times which is the second most hop-hop artist I've seen (Wu-Tang being the first). I'm not just a rap fan either. I've been to my fair share of Fleetwood Mac shows and Muse.
0 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

As a season ticket holder, am I one of the "old fuddes" I certainly hope not.
In section 212 I have been known to make enough noise to encourage folks around me to become involved, sometimes my racket has the silent night ones annoyed, it's not Church it's a sporting event.
We all need to be heard and incourage others to do the same, my wife and I travel 1.5 hours form Connecticut, you know the Huskey nation, to support this program.
So if it's younger folks you want or for that matter any folks what's to be done? I'm not sure but low attendance is discouraging! On the matter of younger folks where are all the students, they get a free pass and still can't find there way down in any great numbers.
The Ryan Center with 5,000 or more butts in the seats is a great basketball venue, perhaps the marketing folks need to figure out how to sell this program, we all ranting and raving are preaching to the choir.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
EZBuckets wrote:
I have no problem with you coming on here, and I appreciate you coming on here as a voice of the staff. That said, I hate the role that you have to play. But the main point of my post was when I said I disliked the role people said they'd never heard my specific complaint. I was just pointing out that there were several people on here who hated your role, right until they knew you were on here, then they loved what you did.
Yea I gotta agree. No offense to EZbuckets but it seems kind of corny to have to have a hype man to try and get the students to make noise. Doesn't seem many other college basketball stadiums have a guy like this for their students. With that said, it's kind of a necessity for us because it seems the students forget how to make noise without EZ.

Also I have only been able to make one game this year, is the problem lack of students or lack of regular fans or both?
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

RF1 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:No reason we should not have as comparable turnout as UMASS.
UMass is not a good comparison. While you might think it would draw well given it has a larger venue (9,300) and twice the undergraduate enrollment of URI (with a much higher % living on campus), it is not typically the case. UMass has averaged 3,482 ytd in 2015-16 campaign (biggest crowd was 3,818). They averaged 4,533 in 2014-15. Their best recent year was 2013-14 when they went to the NCAA and averaged 6,600. Other than that one season, their numbers are usually below URI. The sellouts at the Mullins Center under John Calipari are long in the past. Only winning big fills the Mullins.
The Mullins Center is a graveyard, it's also a terrible venue. Ryan Center atmosphere and facilities are MUCH better.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

EZBuckets does an amazing job.. and he threw me a shirt last night so thanks man!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Never a T shirt up in 306, although last year a cheerleader did come up once and throw one shirt. There are definitely some kids up in the 300 sections that would love a shirt.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Sorry to get off topic, but I need to defend something I love. I disagree that rap isn't actual music. I hate some of the mainstream rap on the radio so I understand why people don't like it. Although rap may sound different and use speaking rather than singing, the voice is still being used as an instrument and the effect is still an artistic statement. Core musical elements like rhythm, melody, timing, and other aspects that are universal to all music also apply to rap. Usually, the people who complain about rap just do not like it because it is unfamiliar. But it is no less complex or intentional than most other music.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I've always said if rappers could sing....... they would.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I often wonder what are the age break downs of the board members are?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BleedBlue87
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote:I've always said if rappers could sing....... they would.
Drake, Andre 3000, Lauren Hill.... plenty who can rap and sing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
And I'm sure plenty more who can't.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
And I'm sure plenty more who can't.
And LeBron probably cant kick a field goal or hit a fastball. Doesnt make him any less of an athlete.

you liking it is not a pre-requisite for musical validity.

Count me in the 'all over' group. CDs, have the Four Tops, Slipknot, Zeppelin and Black Star in the car. Radio, have HOT 106, B101 and HJY programmed.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We are veering way off topic here. Who cares if rappers can sing? If the people who listen to that music valued singing, they'd either listen to something else or the voice would be a more valuable component of who is popular within the genre. But the audience doesn't care, so why should you?

(FWIW, count me among the people who cares the least about singing - I've watched The Voice with my wife a couple of times, and I was so bored I contemplated setting my living room on fire just to liven things up a bit. The things I care about in music are (1) the sound, (2) the lyrics and (3) the attitude/creativity/artistry of the song. That is basically it. Being able to sing is certainly a skill, just not a skill I put a lot of value in. Based on what I value, I find myself liking stuff from all different genres and all different eras, but I am not even a little bit interested in hearing someone with a "great voice" sing lyrics that are boring or uninteresting over music that is boring or uninteresting.)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since we're in deep water here,
I loved Motown. Four Tops were my favorites.
So many great talents, great melodies, and great lyrics.
I wonder if they were around today, would they be doing rap,
or singing?
Trying to imagine Levi Stubbs rapping.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We're on to Nebraska. Come on, Rhody fans. Houston is in the books.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rod, listen to these two new artists out right now and popular with the younger set, Leon Bridges and Vintage Trouble. Part of a group of Neo Soul artists that sound lifted from the 50s and early 60s. I bet you will like them.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:
I've watched The Voice with my wife a couple of times, and I was so bored I contemplated setting my living room on fire just to liven things up a bit.
Ha ha.....yep!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Does Alicia Keys count?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I love Alicia Keys, but I like her just fine under the criteria I laid out above. I recognize she has a good voice, but that in and of itself would not be enough to interest me. I also like Adele, who I understand is considered a good singer. But there is a reason I enjoy Alicia Keys and Adele and not, say, Babs Streisand or Whitney Houston. Just having a good voice alone is a boring skill to have.
0 x