Driving around Tucson listening to the RAMS!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Driving around Tucson listening to the RAMS!

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

OK, so we all do some pretty crazy things for the love of our Rams right?

First, as some of you know, we did a web televised call-in show with Ram highlights from here in Arizona. Well now, we are doing something even a bit weirder for the locals here: we are now the Rhode Island Rams first-ever out-of-state radio affiliate!

Yes, that means people working in their yards or driving around today at 5pm our time will hear play-by-play on PowerTalk1210 radio of the URI/PC game, before the Arizona State game.

By signing on as an affilate, we think we have done something never done before (let us know trivia folks!): We are the official affiliate for two division 1 basketball teams...who are coached by brothers! Ever happen before? I know, who cares right? :)

Whatever it takes to justify airing Rhody games here in Tucson. A win over PC would make it even more sweet, and I bet the local Arizona fans would love seeing PC lose today too, after being beat by them a week ago.

Go Rams!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Driving around Tucson listening to the RAMS!

Unread post by TruePoint »

That's awesome.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha that is equal parts insane and amazing. I love it! Nice work.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Go Cats!

Rhody radio, awesome!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

You could have also listened to a Hurley-led team defeat a ranked opponent…..

#18 Texas A&M 54
ASU 67
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Yeah - it is pretty awesome to have my two favorite college teams being coached by the Hurleys. I still have a dream next year of a Final 4 that includes ASU & URI out here in Arizona.

Dan from New Jersey, living in Arizona.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

You live in Tucson and root for sparky?

That's like rooting for the friars in South Kingstown!!

Ha ha, nice!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Nope - I live in Chandler, very close to Tempe (could get to ASU campus in about 15 minutes).

When I went to the URI/AZ game when Rhody played out here I did walk with 'forks up' hand gesture a few times. They would have no idea about anything URI related.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:OK, so we all do some pretty crazy things for the love of our Rams right?

First, as some of you know, we did a web televised call-in show with Ram highlights from here in Arizona. Well now, we are doing something even a bit weirder for the locals here: we are now the Rhode Island Rams first-ever out-of-state radio affiliate!

Yes, that means people working in their yards or driving around today at 5pm our time will hear play-by-play on PowerTalk1210 radio of the URI/PC game, before the Arizona State game.

By signing on as an affilate, we think we have done something never done before (let us know trivia folks!): We are the official affiliate for two division 1 basketball teams...who are coached by brothers! Ever happen before? I know, who cares right? :)

Whatever it takes to justify airing Rhody games here in Tucson. A win over PC would make it even more sweet, and I bet the local Arizona fans would love seeing PC lose today too, after being beat by them a week ago.

Go Rams!
Wow, that's amazing! How did that happen? There obviously must be a big enough fan base to allow that. That's quite the pleasant surprise!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At least Bobby can listen to our games if he finds himself in the car during one of them. That is kind of cool. He should call into your local show and talk Rhody - "Bob in the car."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

That's just it...there ARE no Rams fans that I know of here. So we 'sell' it as Pac 12 and Atlantic 10 games, since the opponents are varied and interesting.

C'mon how could we not do the "Hurley" combo :)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

How does one go about joining a radio station to the Ram Network?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

I had to apply. Go through negotiations on how many games we promise to air, make sure we play their spots, etc.

Of course a few days after I signed the contract E.C. got hurt....thought we would have a ranked team on the station, oh well.

We are Rhody's first affiliate out-of-state, just one more sign the program is planning to grow. They joined LearField sports, a group that markets to affiliates.
0 x