It's a rivalry. Fuck it.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: It's a rivalry. Fuck it.

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: When was the last game played that PC won in the NCAA Tournament?
When was URI's last NCAA win?
Would you rather make the NCAA Tournament every year but never win?
Or would you rather rarely make the tournament but win when you get there?
It's not a perfect analogy, but there's some truth.
PC has been to 4 tourney's but not won a game since you're last appearance, possibly a 5th this year.
Trust me, no one is happy with one and done's, especially me.
But I'd at least rather have those games to watch in March, than not being there at all.
I would not in a million years trade the joy I've gotten the past two March's, for one NCAA win this year.
So if the fact that URI last won a tourney game before PC helps you sleep at night, so be it.

But regardless, it's an argument that's often intrigued me.
UMASS for example, many people would take Calipari and his Final Four every day of the week, even though it's tainted and the record afterwards is less than spectacular.
This state would be a special place if both PC and URI were threats to make a deep run.
Miss what things were like when I was a kid, people cared.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
When was the last game played that PC won in the NCAA Tournament?
Why do people on this board even bring this up? Everyone here wants to make the NCAA tournament again even if we don't win our first game. I'd rather lose in the round of 64 in NCAA tournament than win the NIT. If I was a PC fan I'd be laughing at the fact that URI fans try and bring up their last NCAA tournament win from 16 years ago when comparing it to PC's recent success.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
Why do people on this board even bring this up? Everyone here wants to make the NCAA tournament again even if we don't win our first game. I'd rather lose in the round of 64 in NCAA tournament than win the NIT. If I was a PC fan I'd be laughing at the fact that URI fans try and bring up their last NCAA tournament win from 16 years ago when comparing it to PC's recent success.
Couldn't agree more.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
Agree. It is not a helpful to bring this up. Looks dumb.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Look,
I brought it up in response to comments being said about Cooley as if he was better than Hurley amongst all the talk about Hurley and future coaching candidates here.
It was meant more as a positive for Hurley than to open a can of PC worms taken so literally.

My bad.

But I will say that I am a bigger Hurley fan today than I was in his first month on the job, and I was a huge fan then. I would not trade him for anyone else. He put together a great recruiting class and a great team for this year. Be patient.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

This reminds me of Jets fans still crowing about their 2010 playoff win against the Pats. If URI reached the Dance on of every four years it would improve everything for the program. Every 15 years means you're not a significant program. Hope it changes.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:Look,
I brought it up in response to comments being said about Cooley as if he was better than Hurley amongst all the talk about Hurley and future coaching candidates here.
It was meant more as a positive for Hurley than to open a can of PC worms taken so literally.

My bad.

But I will say that I am a bigger Hurley fan today than I was in his first month on the job, and I was a huge fan then. I would not trade him for anyone else. He put together a great recruiting class and a great team for this year. Be patient.
ramster, I am with you. I just think that relative to our lack of appearances, what they've done since we won the last NCAA game for a RI team is pretty good. I want to have something good to throw in their face, but until we get that something we might as well not make it worse by insulting their trips to the tournament when we know we'd love to have gone a handful of times since our last win.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011