It's a rivalry. Fuck it.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It's a rivalry. Fuck it.

Unread post by Blue Man »

I gotta be honest, I think there's a part of me that is broken. I have a more fragile psyche than I've ever had in my life. The post EC injury and subsequent aimless performances have got me to the point where I have come to a zen-like peace with lowered expectations. Like Bane said, you can only have true suffering when you have hope. We had hope, we had that taken away, and honestly, I haven't quite had my heart broken like this ever. No Sox or sports team loss, no breakup, no disappointment in my life has ever touched these last few weeks.

I think with the fuck you bluster and bravado laced rants Rhody is like 1-4. So these don't work. Really nothing does. We've disappeared in big games. These are facts.

I've come to terms with today. I've grieved this loss. I've tried to insulate myself from caring about this game because a loss may legitimately end my life.

However, a funny thing happened. In my new found inner peace with being a second class fan, I remembered my family. My family of mostly PC fans. My family is a bunch of dicks. Especially around this time of year. #NoChill gets thrown around on black twitter a lot. With the post EC injury I think my family might be redefining that. #NoChill probably refers to the segment of my family that graduated from PC. Granted, unlike 90% of the uneducated, unwashed, uneverything PC fan base...at least they attended the damn school. At least they attended some school. At least they know where the campus is.

So you know what? FUCK it. FUCK them. FUCK the friars.

We're supposed to lose this game. We're probably going to lose this game. 6 in a row...who the fuck cares. We're used to it.

We don't have our best player. We haven't really had a pulse on the court or in the stands. We really have no reason to hope for anything today...

but jesus if I'm a PC fan I would shit my pants right about now.

You're ranked. You have the best player in the country. You're playing at a high level.

We're reeling. A listless ship. On the surface we're a team that hasn't put it together without our leader and doesn't really look to have anything to inspire hope.

You know what we do have though? A fanbase that through it all...through everything this year and for the past 5 years should have nothing to believe in...but there has been a line a half mile long 12 FUCKING HOURS BEFORE TIP OFF of kids ready to believe.

Kids that by all rational accounts shouldn't believe in anything...but for whatever reason they do.

The best thing about sports is that nothing is rational. Nothing that's supposed to happen does. Getting caught up and emotionally affected by something bigger than you in unexplainably awesome.

There's no reason to believe we have a shot today. The Friars should be running away with this game by double digits.

So FUCK IT. We already know to expect a blow out. PC should. But my god they should be scared.

If they win, they just do what they were supposed to and carry on.

But what if they don't?

What if all of a sudden we figure it out?

What if our guys start to play back to the level they're all capable of.

Most of this game is mental. Hell, most of all our struggles are mental this year. You can feel it in the crowd.

But not tonight. We're gonna have 7600 loud crazy URI fans, since PC is so inept they couldn't even get the right amount of tickets to their own people.

Maybe the unexplainable is just unexplainable and we leave it at that.

I honestly don't know what's going to happen today. But what I do know is that we have no pressure. No nothing. EC's injury pretty much gives a pass to the lowered expectations.

SO FUCK IT. LETS PARTY.

Get out. Get drinking. Have fun and let it all hang out. Tell a friar fan to bite a dick. We have nothing to worry about. You're the number 23 team in the country. We're barely a top 50 team missing its leader. You should win. You should win big.

But I know deep down, at least to the minority of PC fans with enough education to understand the words on this page outside of simple verbs, nouns, and "fuck," you're scared. You're honestly terrified. And you should be.

Not necessarily of us, but of losing this game. You should win. You really should. So if you do...congrats. Another year in a row. It's pretty much expected at this point.

But my god if we make this a game. If we somehow pull it off. You'll feel worse than I could've possibly felt in the last 2 weeks.

A win changes our season, a loss keeps it moving. The opposite for you.

I love being a Rhody fan. I love being an underdog. I love the chip on my shoulder. I love that everything we've got as a program wasn't handed to us by a bum ass Dave Gavitt idea that my school got to tag along to. That a bullshit television contract that gives my school millions hasn't even got me an NCAA victory in almost 2 decades.

Yeah I know we haven't been to the dance. Yeah I know you've had our number...but you fucking should. So I hope for your sake you win tonight...but fuck you anyway.

Win or lose at least I'm not a Friar.

Let's fucking go boys. Pressure's off, stranger things have happened, be one of the 7600 that flips the script and ruins christmas up in Friartown.

I believe...
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Joe
Lamar Odom

Re: It's a rivalry. Fuck it.

Unread post by Joe »

I believe!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Amen.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Thank you!

Win or lose, at least I'm not a Friar.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Let's fucking do this shit. Happy Fuck PC Day.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Even tho it wasn't a "rant" that was pretty good.

PC will be helpless against KI's A game. As I said in the other thread he goes off tonight.

I only hope it doesn't start "lottery pick" talk. We need Iverson for 2 years.

Let's make our bldg worth 10 points tonight.

EZBuckets is ready to go too I'm sure.

Tonight is why we built the building.

Git r done my alma mater cow college!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Let's fucking go !

OUR TIME
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ICE WATER! I WANT ICE WATER IN THEIR VEINS TODAY!

THIS IS GOING TO BE A MAN'S GAME!

TEAM, COACHES, FANS....
SHOW UP WITH BIG BRASS COCONUTS or not at all!

GO RHODY!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I can't stop laughing at "my family is a bunch of dicks"
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

PUMPED UP!!!

Let's go Rhody!!
0 x
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

Truer words have never been spoken . "Win or lose at least I'm not a Friar."

Even if we lose tonight at least I can rest easy tonight with that mindset.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Thanks BlueMan....I'm ready....let's let it all hang out.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It was really the perfect slight by Coolio to say it was not a rivalry. It is time for Dan Hurley to sack up, project confidence and lead the team to victory. We have enough talent to get this done. We have 2 talented and healthy A-10 caliber players in each class. Eight is enough, no more excuses. Time for a Ram victory celebration!
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

"Win or lose at least I'm not a Friar."
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NHRamFan wrote:"Win or lose at least I'm not a Friar."
Put it on my tombstone. Let's GO!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Great FN post!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote:"Win or lose at least I'm not a Friar."
Still.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Watch Cooley growl Merry Christmas at the end of this tirade

Wierd stuff. Bah Humbug!! Cooley should have quit on this subject after he first brought it up but he continues with this nonsense. In most states the top schools are in different conferences. This means that none of these games would classify as rivalries since they don't play twice and they are not in the same conference.

He really should drop this subject. Can't some of his coaches or advisors talk to him on the side and give him some free advice?

The "Merry Christmas" at the end is unbelievable.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/as-a-fan ... its-my-job
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What an A$$HOLE!

I guess URI, BC, UConn, UMass etc.... will never be rivals to PC since they don't play more than once and compete for league titles.

His explanation makes no sense and just makes him look more the fool.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ha, what a dick.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:What an A$$HOLE!

I guess URI, BC, UConn, UMass etc.... will never be rivals to PC since they don't play more than once and compete for league titles.

His explanation makes no sense and just makes him look more the fool.
Or more the tool

If I was a PC fan I'd be embarrassed by this behavior and be begging him to drop it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Imagine if they had lost Saturday night....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

News to Cooley after the shit he pulled and his angry attitude in the press conference (he was lecturing everyone) no one that is a URI fan is pulling for his team. I like a lot of the PC players. It is just the coach and fans that I hate. I use to hope PC did well before Cooley became their coach.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If he didn't want any heat, he should never had intitially made the comments. His words deserved further examination by the media.

This guy acts as if he is Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells up at the podium. What has Cooley won to make him so pompous. NIT wins? Even Dan has that.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:If he didn't want any heat, he should never had intitially made the comments. His words deserved examination.

This guy acts as if he is Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells up at the podium. What has Cooley won to make him so pompous. NIT wins? Even Dan has that.
Agree he should never have made the original comments, no doubt, but what is amazing to me is how he just keeps it going even in the post game presser. Amazing.
Then to say Merry Christmas in such a snarly, mean way - like get a life guy!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

"So when you talk to me about a rivalry - a rivalry is somebody that plays twice a season and compete for a league championship. To me, that defines a rivalry."

Love that, Chris. I also love when guys making millions of dollars talk about "feeding their kids." I just listened to that whole thing, had only read the quote before (which doesn't include the Merry. Christmas. part).
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nice dig by Chris!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Before we even thought about hiring Dan Hurley, and before Cooley went to PC, I was completely about URI firing Baron and hiring Cooley. Seemed like it would have been a perfect fit - RI guy, former URI assistant, recruited well to a lesser NE school. He checked all the boxes. But I didn't realize he was such a spastic jackass. I mean, don't get me wrong: if he had come to URI and brought us to a bunch of tourneys in a row, you wouldn't hear me complain about his odd behavior. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be annoyed by it. He is just straight-up not a likable guy. Dan is a little wild during games, but away from the court he is smart, well spoken guy. I don't know if I could handle my coach being such a clown.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As long as Cooley keeps getting PC to the Dance, their fans won't care.

But if they stumble, his act will wear thin in a hurry, for sure.

He should be thanking his lucky stars that Dunn stayed. Maybe there's something to the fact that kids have transferred out and he's had a relative lack of recruiting success lately.

Of course, look at UConn with Calhoun and Auriemma.

Two douchebags, but boy can they coach......
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

i'm sorry but this is becoming comic relief.

your coach IS a spastic jackass and you all love him.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

As I've said in other posts. I lost any and all respect for Cooley after the PC game. What goes around comes around. Karma is going to bite him in the ass really hard someday. I hope he keeps talking. I love it. Anyone I've ever come across who's acted like a clown has ended up getting stuck up shit's creek later in life at one point or another. When he falls off his pedestal, it's going to be hard and fast.
Every word is publicized. Every phrase is scrutinized. The more he opens his mouth, the more the nation, college basketball coaches, and media alike are going see the poor character of Cooley.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

peeps4life wrote:i'm sorry but this is becoming comic relief.

your coach IS a spastic jackass and you all love him.
Like I said, Dan is a bit wild during the game. It isn't the way I would do it, but it's whatever. Heat of the battle and all that. Away from the emotion of an ongoing game, he is about as opposite of a spastic jackass as you're going to find. Cooley can't turn it off. Not only is he costing his team tournament games by losing his mind and chucking chairs around the building, he has diarrhea of the mouth away from the court. He's always doing or saying something that everyone else is rolling their eyes at.

ETA: I just want to add, I think Cooley is an excellent basketball coach. I'm not doing my hater shtick thing here. I honestly find it disappointing that the guy can't control himself. I used to be a big fan, despite him being the Friar coach.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

ask your coach what he thinks of ed off the court. loves the guy.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sure, he probably knows him in a personal way. I don't doubt that he might be a jolly, personable dude. Which makes it even worse that he has no chill when someone puts a mic in front of his face. Why does he talk like a fool every time there is a live mic within 10 feet of him? That is all I really have to go by.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Um...

"Go ask your coach," - yes, and?

Nope, not worth it.

Merry. Christmas.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

For a fan base that does not consider us a rival they sure do spend a lot of time talking about us and reading/posting on our message board.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

merry christmas to you too.

i literally don't understand what is bothering anyone about what he has said since the game. this complimentary guy is "straight up not a likable guy"? http://www.coxhub.com/articles/friars-w ... win-at-uri

is it really because he threw the pregame dig about the rivalry. everyone knows it's a rivalry... but man did that ruffle some feathers or what.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't care what he said, and I don't even care all that much about PC. Some here barely consider me a URI fan. He sounds ridiculous at the end of that video clip, though. Dan's a good guy. Your name calling is equally ridiculous.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote:I don't care what he said, and I don't even care all that much about PC. Some here barely consider me a URI fan. He sounds ridiculous at the end of that video clip, though. Dan's a good guy. Your name calling is equally ridiculous.
Dan is a GREAT guy
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Let's face it, all college coaches have a little crazy in them.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote:For a fan base that does not consider us a rival they sure do spend a lot of time talking about us and reading/posting on our message board.
Yeah, this. I found their fans to be particularly obsessed this year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Very arrogant on the part of Cooley. It is however hardly surprising since he is the same person that came out in support of Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock after the rape allegations. He said he felt bad for them being suspended (supposedly felt the punishment was too harsh). Austin went on to Oregon (in part on a character reference from Cooley) where he was accused of another sexual assault within a year. Bullock suits up for Cooley at the Catholic college.

Cooley often says very foolish things.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley is obsessed with winning.

Character faults or not, his team is winning.

I'll take that over the bullshit that comes out of his mouth. It's just noise anyway.

Dan isn't winning many friends on the court these days, and his team isn't winning. Yes, Dan's a good guy, but good guys finish last.

Like I said about Calhoun and Auriemma. They are pricks. All they did [or do] is win national championships. Give me some of that, please.

I'm at the point where I will sell my soul for a ticket to Dance.

Just win baby. Sorry Al Davis.

But it's the bottom line. Who cares how it's done.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I (along with others here) am now being quoted and referenced on the PC Scout board by Seanmc94. I must say this surprises me as I wouldn't think what was written here was of any consequence to Friar fans. We are after all supposedly not a rival. Why are PC fans so obsessed with us?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC fans know we are a rival. Their coach doesn't share that opinion.

Like I said, who gives a fuck?

Beat them for once, then we have a leg to stand on.

Cooley said his team "willed themselves" to a win against us.

Why don't we do the same, for once?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:PC fans know we are a rival. Their coach doesn't share that opinion.
Some of the Friar fans, like their coach, feel that URI is not a rival. That's why the obsession over what is written here is funny. If Rhody is not a true rival, why do our words matter?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I (along with others here) am now being quoted and referenced on the PC Scout board by Seanmc94. I must say this surprises me as I wouldn't think what was written here was of any consequence to Friar fans. We are after all supposedly not a rival. Why are PC fans so obsessed with us?
Yeah, why aren't they picking apart the Butler board? That's a rival, isn't it?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And anyway, Sean's a little girl. Just let her be.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Cooley is obsessed with winning.

Character faults or not, his team is winning.

I'll take that over the bullshit that comes out of his mouth. It's just noise anyway.

Dan isn't winning many friends on the court these days, and his team isn't winning. Yes, Dan's a good guy, but good guys finish last.

Like I said about Calhoun and Auriemma. They are pricks. All they did [or do] is win national championships. Give me some of that, please.

I'm at the point where I will sell my soul for a ticket to Dance.

Just win baby. Sorry Al Davis.

But it's the bottom line. Who cares how it's done.
When was the last game played that PC won in the NCAA Tournament?
When was URI's last NCAA win?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
adam914 wrote:For a fan base that does not consider us a rival they sure do spend a lot of time talking about us and reading/posting on our message board.
Yeah, this. I found their fans to be particularly obsessed this year.
I think it is because since the game last year all the way until three weeks ago, nobody - not even their fans - thought they would be competitive with us this year. So once the season started and they realized they were going to be pretty good and EC got hurt, they got super emboldened and caught themselves up on eleven months of shit talking. We aren't dealing with smart or decent people here, so it is pretty understandable.
0 x