The Early Line: URI vs Providence College

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by twisted3829 »

So URI opens as a 3 point favorite, not sure about that let's hope Vegas knows something
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

twisted3829 wrote:So URI opens as a 3 point favorite, not sure about that let's hope Vegas knows something
Maybe they forgot about EC
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Hate to say it, but for that line I'd be betting hard PC.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:So URI opens as a 3 point favorite, not sure about that let's hope Vegas knows something
That seems crazy to me, but yeah I hope they know something.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
luke
Cuttino Mobley

The Early Line: URI vs Providence College

Unread post by luke »

Well the opening line was URI - 4 . The most recent line is URI - 3. so Vegas is looking
for a close URI victory based on home court advantage. That is encouraging to me,
although it is certainly not a given of course . would be a great jump start for this team
approaching the conference season. The remainder of the OOC games are very winnable
taken individually. The toughest test would be on the road at Nebraska and Old Dominion.
However, neither of these teams have been world beaters this season thus far.

G O R A M S !!!!!
0 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

adam914 wrote:
That seems crazy to me, but yeah I hope they know something.
They always know something, It's all about how young PC is in that environment. I was out in California, and while the team played well with predominately Arizona and Michigan State crowds, it's nothing like the Friars will experience Saturday night.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI / PC

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wonder how smart Vegas is. Are they still catching up on pre-season press clippings?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: The Early Line: URI vs Providence College

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Aside from the Maryland game (let's never speak of it again), URI's final scores have been pretty much in lock step with Vegas this season, for what it's worth.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The line is now URI - 2. They must be getting betting on PC. I am still happy to see URI favored.
I expect the defense to be tenacious for 40 minutes. Maybe Iverson and four can be the difference.
would like to see Terrell have a big game and a surprise performance from thompson who may
be coming on now.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Please remember....the bookies only want to get the same amount of money bet on each side...they will keep adjusting it to get more play one way to balance the previous play...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

With EC, I thought we would be competitive but lose to PC. Without him, I think we lose by double digits. I hope I am wrong. Go Rhody!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramulous wrote:Please remember....the bookies only want to get the same amount of money bet on each side...they will keep adjusting it to get more play one way to balance the previous play...
This is a common misperception and not always true. In a perfect world they would love to have close to equal money but the books take large positions on sides all the time.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

In the other thread someone mentioned PC would be a 2 pt favorite, I called my friends bookie in case that was actually how it set up because Vegas has the line perfect. Kenpom had uri rated slightly higher, add 3 for home ct and this is exactly what's expected.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Not touching it at URI -3, maybe thats a half point high or so but I was kinda hoping they would get it wrong given the nationally televised game, ranked opponent, etc.

Oh well, I've come to realize that Vegas literally never opens more than 1-2 pts off where KenPom's implied line is.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Already down to 2 everywhere I see
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hurley Show wrote:With EC, I thought we would be competitive but lose to PC. Without him, I think we lose by double digits. I hope I am wrong. Go Rhody!
Really? Coming into the year I expected us to be PC by 15-20. I did not expect Ben Bentil to be so good, and I didn't expect to lose EC. Those things change my outlook pretty drastically, but I see this game as a pick.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

TruePoint wrote: Really? Coming into the year I expected us to be PC by 15-20. I did not expect Ben Bentil to be so good, and I didn't expect to lose EC. Those things change my outlook pretty drastically, but I see this game as a pick.
+1
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

PC +3

Vegas seems to still respect Rhody despite losing EC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote:PC +3

Vegas seems to still respect Rhody despite losing EC.

It's all in how the people bet. If more people bet on URI than PC then the line will move closer to -2.5 or -2. Vegas and bookies start the line but the betting public adjusts it. Bookies want even money on both sides of the bet to make their 10 percent juice.
If you think the line is way out of line then you should bet on PC.

I for one think URI wins this by more than the 3 point spread. why?
- Home game
- Crazy Saturday night crowd
- National TV
- In State Rivalry
- Conference Rivalry A10 vs NBE
- 3 Remaining of the Core Four will be amazingly pumped up putting EC injury aside and in fact wanting to win it for EC
- inexperience of Bentil, Bullock and Fazekas will show - no friendly, half empty, library like confines of the dump, I mean dunk
- URI fans will show huge excitement on National TV and show Ed Cooley and ESPN why all games in the annual series should be played at the Ryan Center
- Continuous improvement of Kuran Iverson - the best big man in New England
- Dan Hurley game plan
- I can't stand the wait!!!!!
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

That's not actually true in NCAA bball, sharp money way outweighs the public, the books aren't worried about the public money is split, they are worried about the guy betting ten dimes.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Less than an hour to game tie and the spread is URI -3. just get the W by a point or more.
Hey guys you don't even have to cover to win! I can't stand the waiting. This could either
be a huge season builder or just a lost opportunity. We saw too many of the latter last season.
Surprise me tonight and turn that fact around. Take it to em.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Looks like its settled at like 3 with a few 3.5s out there. 69% of tickets are on PC yet the line has moved in favor of Rhody which makes me think there is some sharp money on the Rams, lets hope they are right!

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... /time/1900
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11