Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Surfri72 wrote:you can get in and out of Kingston a lot faster than Providence plus parking is free. In the summer I don't see any of these dipshits from north of EG saying its too far as they invade south county. URI is a whopping 4 miles from RT 1 and 3 miles from RT 2. not exactly the middle of nowhere.
Not so sure...just moved here to WK (about 1.5mi from RC) a month or so ago and...it kind of IS in the middle of nowhere, which is actually one of the things we like about the place. As far as the DS's from north of EG...I can get driving to 'nowhere' in the summer, much better than in the late fall/winter.

But, despite all the talk about location, fan apathy/laziness etc...if the team were ranked...I don't think there'd be nearly the discourse we're seeing here about attendance. And, as another poster said, maybe that has something to do with why DH said he's done talking about it.

And as yet another said...if he leaves, it will be because of great success...and attendance will no longer be an issue.

Now...back to the beer. Who do we need to contact to remedy the 'selection'?

PS: I plan to be at every game this year, plus the road games at Brown and UMass, and possibly St. Joe's.
Just win, baby!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

More in the middle of nowhere than Storrs, CT, Bloomington, IN,
University Park, PA, Tuscaloosa, AL and on and on.
Most State U's are located in the "middle of nowhere", and
somehow, they manage to fill gigantic football stadiums.
Different culture, I guess.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know people that are Auburn alums and consider the 3 hour drive from Atlanta to be nothing. That would put you somewhere in Maine from Providence. Different culture for sure.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Also, college basketball may have been at its peak
here in RI.
Both URI and PC had NCAA teams, both loaded with'star
players.
Sports talk was big then, too.
No big conferences in the Northeast.
So different than now in many ways.
Another thing to keep in mind was the Patriots sucked back then. I know of at least three people who gave up their college basketball tickets for Pats tickets once Parcells came on board.
Last edited by woodennickel1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I know people that are Auburn alums and consider the 3 hour drive from Atlanta to be nothing. That would put you somewhere in Maine from Providence. Different culture for sure.
Yep, could it be the "WeHaveaTrophyandit'sconceivablewecouldgetanotherinmylifetime" culture for basketball?
Thinking football is an entirely different animal....do those Auburn alums drive from Atlanta for hoops? (Huge kudos to them if they do)
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote:I wonder if we will see another Donaldson column about disappointing local attendance in tomorrow's edition of the Jounral. Providence College, coming off an exciting last second road win and having its highest ranking (#15) since 2004 drew just 8,425 for its game versus Boston College at the 12,400 seat Dunkin Donuts Center.
Not sure what you were expecting on week night against a poor BC team. I thought it was a pretty good crowd.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I thought it was a good turnout
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:I wonder if we will see another Donaldson column about disappointing local attendance in tomorrow's edition of the Jounral. Providence College, coming off an exciting last second road win and having its highest ranking (#15) since 2004 drew just 8,425 for its game versus Boston College at the 12,400 seat Dunkin Donuts Center.
Not sure what you were expecting on week night against a poor BC team. I thought it was a pretty good crowd.

Although its not sold out, that's a good amount of fans. That being said, as you mentioned, being #15, coming off of a road victory combined with the fact that you're playing a local semi rival ACC team in a city surrounded by thousands and thousands of people, I would expect more. It really doesn't matter to me how many pc fans attend, I'm just worried about URI right now. It would be interesting though to place URI home games in prov, and PC games in Kingston and then see the change in attendance. Kingston is surrounded by um nothing.
0 x
GO RAMS
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:From now on...whenever someone mentions if we had "EC"...there should be a mandatory donation to the Jimmy Fund (or something like that)...just stop it...it serves no purpose. Look ahead to what THIS team can accomplish...I think it's a LOT.

The 'if we had EC' talk is the biggest mellow harsher there is out there....
So a poster that's been on here for a week and has 30 posts wants to legislate how things on the board should go?
# of posts don't mean shite. When you're right, you're right.

Anywho, completely gutted by the loss, over it now. But very proud of the showing. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
0 x