Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Those comments aren't worth paying attention too, no way he actually believes any of that haha

It's along the lines of a "EC Matthews would start on most Big East teams" comment. The scary thing is he can probably brainwash some people into believing they are somehow above playing anywhere but the civic donut center.

Anyway, I too am predicting a breakout game from JT who is due, along with a great defensive game from him and a W. Then they can argue about never wanting to play down here again.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley is not fooling anybody. His comments just make him look silly. Everyone knows this is a big game for him. I have heard it gets him so worked up that it has caused him to pull the hair off the back of his head.
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Let me see if I understand Coach Colley’s insistence that the annual URI-PC match-up should be played at the DDC. This statement would seem to contradict his bellowing foul play and moaning adnauseam when PC were sent to the Nationwide Arena in Columbus to play Dayton two days after the Flyers played into the tournament with a grueling one point win over Boise State.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

really want to get under a Friar fan's skin? Remind them who has the last win in the NCAA Tournament between the 2 schools
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

There's a Poll in the Projo asking which venue has best atmosphere. Vote for the Ryan Center!

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Cooley bothers me with this talk. Thats what he was shooting for I bet. I remember when PC never won a game at the Ryan. That was cool.

Win the game. Win the game. Win the game. Win the game.

All the things that have changed. Win the game. Lets change things on the court.

It matters to win this game on so many levels. They recruit against each other. They jockey for fans and have for the past several decades. It feels good for either fan base to win. PC has a ranked # next to their name. Change that narrative. CHANGE THE NARRATIVE.

Win this game. Make the dance. EC comes back. Everyone comes back. Throw in Stan. Kill them at the Dunk next year. Kick off a run not seen around these parts in years.

Amen
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

It will always be the Civic Center to me. Better venue for the Ice Capades than a basketball game, IMO.
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

TruePoint wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:In this series, look for someone (on either team) , who hasn't done much to date,

to have the game of their life.
Jared Terrell. Nobody has more guts than JT in my opinion, and he is both overdue and physically capable of going off.

100% agree
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME

i will be pre-gaming early at the MEWS

win this game and this will really kick off our season and fire everyone up
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Not sure why anyone has a problem with Cooley's comments. He's certainly not going to say the Ryan Center has the best atmosphere in Rhode Island. Cooley also mentioned how we're a good team and it's going to be a tough game. And as others had said, Cooley knows this is a rivalry game but I'm sure he wants to make sure his players come out and play like any other game.

My biggest concern is the first 5-10 min of the game. I'm sure all of our players know how big of a game this is and with a sold out Ryan Center I just hope we're able to come out from the start and play under control.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Taylor Swift wrote:It will always be the Civic Center to me. Better venue for the Ice Capades than a basketball game, IMO.
To me, the Civic Center was the perfect place for the circus that came every year. A perfect place for the elephants to dispose of huge shits all over the arena.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

If Cooley didn't think this game was a rivalry or he just saw it as 'another game', then he wouldn't have felt the need to say what he said.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

88% RC to 12% Dunk right now.
1250 votes.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

JT is my choice, too. However, it wouldn't surprise me if a bench player comes in and makes some key baskets. Thompson?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Taylor Swift wrote:It will always be the Civic Center to me. Better venue for the Ice Capades than a basketball game, IMO.

Me too. Also, the Jamestown Bridge and, of course the Rhode Island way to give directions: " It's right next to where the (fill in the name) used to be.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

NJ03 wrote:I'll guess spread will be PC -2
I will grab those points in a heart-beat. I think you are off by a solid 4+ points. I think Rhody will be favored by 2-3 and if they arent I need to line up a bookie!
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Justns11 wrote:88% RC to 12% Dunk right now.
1250 votes.
92-8, with 1934 votes
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Hit the Twitter poll too:

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would like nothing better than CT and others potentially stepping up as an unlikely top performer in this game. I wonder though that the bright lights of this bigger stage allows Dan to see his bench group as being ready and will get enough minutes for them to step up. Our bench points or lack there of will be among the keys to this game.....Hass and Kuran staying out of foul trouble are the others...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

skwalk47 wrote:
NJ03 wrote:I'll guess spread will be PC -2
I will grab those points in a heart-beat. I think you are off by a solid 4+ points. I think Rhody will be favored by 2-3 and if they arent I need to line up a bookie!
I thought URI would be about a 1-1.5 favorite before last weekend. Now I am thinking PC will be giving 1-1.5. Either way it's essentially a pickem.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote:I would like nothing better than CT and others potentially stepping up as an unlikely top performer in this game. I wonder though that the bright lights of this bigger stage allows Dan to see his bench group as being ready and will get enough minutes for them to step up. Our bench points or lack there of will be among the keys to this game.....Hass and Kuran staying out of foul trouble are the others...
I am expecting to see a mostly 6 man rotation again, kind of like Maryland game, unless there is foul trouble again.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If URI wins this Saturday our student section better not rush the court.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote:If URI wins this Saturday our student section better not rush the court.
Only if there's a buzzer beating, game winning shot.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I Think rushing the court after a win this week would reinforce that we really are the little brother in this rivalry. We SHOULD beat PC when they come to our house, I don't care where they are ranked.

Rhody should be able to beat ranked teams coming into the Ryan Center and really have an imposing home court.

Rushing the court would signify that our fans weren't expecting a win as the outcome and that the perception of this being an upset reinforces the little brother complex.
Last edited by STC 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Because I am to lazy to do the research, wondering which coach in Rhody hoops history has the best record against PC ?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:Because I am to lazy to do the research, wondering which coach in Rhody hoops history has the best record against PC ?
I would say Keaney, but that's just a guess.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I want Rhody to win. I will cheer and yell as much as my voice will allow.
I don't think Rhody will win or even make it close. I want to be wrong. I'm dying to be wrong. It's been years without a win against them. Based on what I saw in the Holly Cross game, I'm not encouraged. Rhody needs to enter the game with an attitude. They need to take it to PC and get them in foul trouble early. They need to put them on their heels from the beginning. They need to hit their free throws and they need to handle the ball better. If they can do all of that, they'll have a chance to win. It's a tall task.
The only way Rhody wins this game is if they play from start to finish with ice water in their veins. (In my opinion)
Go Rhody!
Last edited by The Dude 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Marcus Mosiah Garvey

I learn something new everyday. Love that lyric.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

FWIW, on the post game radio vs Holy Cross, I think Don said our chances are; us A game brought, PC C- game brought....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Holy Cross was a trap game and our fans did not help at all the place was dead. I tried to get fans going near me but it was all silence... I also heard Hass on the post game show say he hasn't beat this team and he wants this bad... Iverson is taking over, Terrell is due for a big game, Garrett played a much better second half... These guys will come out with plenty of fire with a sold out Ryan Center...I think this will be much closer then people think... PC is playing great but we got this in our house.. Rhody by 1!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Really. I don't think it's THAT bad.

I'd give us a win with our A- game, and PC with a C+ game......

Of course, we haven't seen our A- game yet.........

I think the Ryan is going to be worth at least half a dozen points in this one, maybe more.

The crowd and the team will be energized. As long as we don't lay an egg from the get go.....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

rambone 78 wrote:Really. I don't think it's THAT bad.

I'd give us a win with our A- game, and PC with a C+ game......

Of course, we haven't seen our A- game yet.........
I'd say PC with even a B game we could win. We just need to play our best game of the season if we want a chance to win.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Have to keep PC from their transition game. Have to make some 3's.

Long rebounds mean Dunn will kill us in the running game....

I don't have any doubt our D will be more intense than it's been lately.

Just have to shoot it well enough. That includes the FT line....
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Being a ram fan "ain't" easy. You've got to want it real bad. You've got to deal with the almosts, could have's, should have's, injuries. a lack of respect from the Ocean State. The list goes on and on. I often wonder what it would be like to root for a top d-1 team. Today, my wife and I celebrated our 8th grandchild born in Florida. We will be taking a Sunday morning flight to Fort Lauderdale. Everyone on this board knows why we are waiting until Sunday morning. Yes, maybe my priorities are screwed up, (I will miss the Houston game), but it is something very special about Saturday, standing in an arena with close to 8000 people rooting for a Ram win. It is the essence of college basketball. Yes, PC probably has the better team, and the best player on the floor. We must put a sixth man on the court. We must intimidate and root this team to a win. Maybe the Friars/Cooley will realize where the loudest fans in Rhode Island are located. Go Rhody! BTW, does anyone know if the Friars are sleeping in Newport Friday night. Tough, long bus ride to make it one day.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote:I Think rushing the court after a win this week would reinforce that we really are the little brother in this rivalry. We SHOULD beat PC when they come to our house, I don't care where they are ranked.

Rhody should be able to beat ranked teams coming into the Ryan Center and really have an imposing home court.

Rushing the court would signify that our fans weren't expecting a win as the outcome and that the perception of this being an upset reinforces the little brother complex.
Would be stunned if Rhody wins and the students don't rush the court...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

neil wrote:Being a ram fan "ain't" easy. You've got to want it real bad. You've got to deal with the almosts, could have's, should have's, injuries. a lack of respect from the Ocean State. The list goes on and on. I often wonder what it would be like to root for a top d-1 team. Today, my wife and I celebrated our 8th grandchild born in Florida. We will be taking a Sunday morning flight to Fort Lauderdale. Everyone on this board knows why we are waiting until Sunday morning. Yes, maybe my priorities are screwed up, (I will miss the Houston game), but it is something very special about Saturday, standing in an arena with close to 8000 people rooting for a Ram win. It is the essence of college basketball. Yes, PC probably has the better team, and the best player on the floor. We must put a sixth man on the court. We must intimidate and root this team to a win. Maybe the Friars/Cooley will realize where the loudest fans in Rhode Island are located. Go Rhody! BTW, does anyone know if the Friars are sleeping in Newport Friday night. Tough, long bus ride to make it one day.
Congrats Neil!!!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nobody puts it out there like you do, Neil!

Now we wait for Blue Man to reappear soon, and give us his take on Saturday's game.....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep we need a good rant.......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Some believe you cannot be labeled as a rival when the series has been so one-sided as of late....the friars have had our number for so long now that we may not be their rival...just another cupcake on their schedule...

....Cooley might also argue that since the game is so popular to the fan bases that it would make sense to play it in a bigger arena so that more may attend.....

....I don't subscribe to either of the statements.....I would rather not play them then be playing them in the Dunk every year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
STC wrote:If URI wins this Saturday our student section better not rush the court.
Only if there's a buzzer beating, game winning shot.
Other than the "coaches handshake" after an NFL game, the rushing vs. not rushing the court is the most overrated thing in all of sports. Who cares?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Where the hell is Blueman? Is he still in his funk?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I used to be one of those that hated on the rushing the court unless it was a huge upset or something, but the last couple years I have come back around on it. Now I feel like who cares, they are college kids and are having a great time. If you want to rush the court go for it. Have some fun, after all that's what this is all supposed to be about anyway. And it's something you'll remember and want to come back and do again.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm not against rushing the court. Just in these circumstances.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote:I'm not against rushing the court. Just in these circumstances.
When most people can't remember the last time the team was ranked...and it beats a team that IS ranked...
I say let 'em rush the court. Encourage it in fact... who really cares?
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

adam914 wrote:I used to be one of those that hated on the rushing the court unless it was a huge upset or something, but the last couple years I have come back around on it. Now I feel like who cares, they are college kids and are having a great time. If you want to rush the court go for it. Have some fun, after all that's what this is all supposed to be about anyway. And it's something you'll remember and want to come back and do again.
+1
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Your just as rediculous Ramlous as Cooley. Cooley's ego is getting a big as his gutt used to be. He just doesn't want to play at the Ryan because he very well knows it is a very tough place for his team to play. Home court is always an advantage. He is flat out insulting our program and fan base. He thinks his team/program is too good for us. Learn to read between the lines. I hope we kick their ass Saturday.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm with Adam. Whatever. Rush the court if you want. Enjoy yourself.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Tom98 wrote:Your just as rediculous Ramlous as Cooley. Cooley's ego is getting a big as his gutt used to be. He just doesn't want to play at the Ryan because he very well knows it is a very tough place for his team to play. Home court is always an advantage. He is flat out insulting our program and fan base. He thinks his team/program is too good for us. Learn to read between the lines. I hope we kick their ass Saturday.
Yeah I have to agree with the assessment on Cooley. After hearing him be so passive about how the game isn't a rivalry while being interviewed on the news today, I now have a new level of dislike for Cooley. It wasn't so much what he said, but how he said it. This game against PC isn't just a fan rivalry. If I recall a certain someone (Cooley) got a little heated and starting arguing with Dan during the game when they were playing in the Ryan center years ago. He's not kidding anyone. He's basically just smacking the Rhody fan base across the face with his.................well you get the point. Hope Jarvis breaks Dunn's ankles on a cross over for that b.s.

SEND IN THE GOONS! (you young'ns might not be familiar with this phrase...it's for the older folk)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LET'S GO RHODY !
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

neil wrote:Being a ram fan "ain't" easy. You've got to want it real bad. You've got to deal with the almosts, could have's, should have's, injuries. a lack of respect from the Ocean State. The list goes on and on. I often wonder what it would be like to root for a top d-1 team. Today, my wife and I celebrated our 8th grandchild born in Florida. We will be taking a Sunday morning flight to Fort Lauderdale. Everyone on this board knows why we are waiting until Sunday morning. Yes, maybe my priorities are screwed up, (I will miss the Houston game), but it is something very special about Saturday, standing in an arena with close to 8000 people rooting for a Ram win. It is the essence of college basketball. Yes, PC probably has the better team, and the best player on the floor. We must put a sixth man on the court. We must intimidate and root this team to a win. Maybe the Friars/Cooley will realize where the loudest fans in Rhode Island are located. Go Rhody! BTW, does anyone know if the Friars are sleeping in Newport Friday night. Tough, long bus ride to make it one day.
Neil, no issue at all with a few days delay to visit a newborn. When my 2nd son was born just a month ago, my wife and I didn't want anyone to visit for the first few days anyway. My dad, who lives in FL, is coming next weekend to meet Everett (and I recommended 2nd weekend in Dec for the same reason you are leaving Sunday morning!).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund