Terrell and Garrett shooting

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Terrell and Garrett shooting

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I know there are a lot of concerns about their shooting this year. I am in that camp.
I looked up their stats from last year and realized their overall FG %s are similar to this year's %s.
The combined three point %s are down 6.0% and Terrell's FT % is down 10.2%.
They are taking a combined 7.2 three pointer per game so the 6.0% drop equates to 1.3 points per game. My conclusion is they didn't shoot an acceptable percentage last year and haven't improved this year. Was it realistic to think they would improve their shooting percentages?

Terrell
LY FG % 37.1
TY FG % 33.3
LY 3P % 31.9
TY 3P % 25.0
LY FT % 71.4
TY FT % 61.2

Garrett
LY FG % 33.9
TY FG % 34.0
LY 3P % 27.6
TY 3P % 21.1
LY FT % 67.0
TY FT % 69.2
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: Terrell and Garrett shooting

Unread post by ram1980 »

They just are not good shooters.. That's ok if they start playing the transition game that we have been promised and they seem better suited for.. Flashes tonight.. Kuran handled the ball much better tonight. If they can rebound and up the defensive intensity a notch they may be able to get out and run more.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ram1980 wrote:They just are not good shooters.. That's ok if they start playing the transition game that we have been promised and they seem better suited for.. Flashes tonight.. Kuran handled the ball much better tonight. If they can rebound and up the defensive intensity a notch they may be able to get out and run more.
They can play that style in spurts, but once again, don't have the depth to do it for long stretches.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

They flat out need to improve their shooting. No excuse for not improving. They had all offseason to work on their shots. I'm really surprised by the lack of improvement but still believe they are both capable of being decent shooters. I really believe it's mental with both of them. Terrell has very good form. He needs a couple to fall early. I think he will be streaky this year. Certainly hasn't gotten hot at all yet. Jarvis baffles me the most. He was known in prep ball as a shooter. I was at a game where he made 6 three pointers. I don't know how or why his shooting has fallen off so much from prep school. I know it's easier at the prep/AAU level, but we are talking about wide open looks he is missing. His confidence is definitely down. Tonight he had a wide open look at a 3 on a long rebound and passed it to Thompson 3 feet away instead of shooting it himself. That's a bad sign. I know he will snap out of it but let's hope it's sooner than later. Coach needs to really focus on these two getting their confidence and form right. Their improvement is critical to our success. They are both doing everything else great on the court. Both play with high energy, play excellent D, full effort at all times, great ball movement. I am big fans of both and believe they will come along. Saturday would be a great time to snap out of it...lol.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Garrett was hitting plenty of threes last season. Not sure what happened.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Garrett was hitting plenty of threes last season. Not sure what happened.
He's hurt.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Garrett was hitting plenty of threes last season. Not sure what happened.
He's playing hurt. I'm sure he would be out a game or two to get right if EC wasn't out. This kid should be comended for playing in pain when his team needs him rather condem him for poor shooting.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And as Don Kaull pointed out on the air last night, Jarvis has a lot going on in his life right now.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Box score scouting as I wasn't at the game last night, which is always dangerous, but it seems that besides a low-efficiency shooting night, Jarvis had a real solid game with 7 boards 5 assists/1 TO. Does that match up with what people observed?

Also, to me, I have always thought that Jarvis had more potential as a shooter than Jared. I don't see Jared ever getting above low 30s from 3pt range, and he takes tough challenged shots at the rim which results in below-average conversion in the paint. I think his rate stats ceiling is about 40-45 fg%, 30-35 3pt%. I think Jarvis can certainly become a 40% 3pt shooter, and I expect him to. Don't really have much besides the eye test to back this up, but I've always had a lot more confidence in Jarvis' jumper.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I waited until last nites game to respond. Was it realistic to expect they would improve their shooting percent? Yes, has not happened yet. A sustained increase at this point is doubtful.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

section(105) wrote: A sustained increase at this point is doubtful.
I'm not sure I agree with that. No one can dispute that they have underperformed to this point, so some "regression to the mean" is to be expected. I don't think anyone believes that their true talent level is that of 34 fg%/20 3pt% (Jarvis) or 33 fg%/25 3pt% (Jared), I strongly believe that their numbers will be better than that over the rest of the season, and I would wager that their numbers from here until the end will be higher than they were last season. I don't have any empirical evidence to back up that last assertion, obviously that's just an opinion.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Mentally they aren't dialed in like they were down the stretch last year. I think EC being gone contributes.

I think their youth contributes a ton despite the fact that they both are on the older side for their year and they contributed a lot last year. They still have two more years.

Honestly, I have felt Terrell's body undermines his basketball skills because he is just a beast. When it comes to him having to be successful through his skills and mind on offense he struggles. He gets almost zero easy shots outside of a kick out to him from someone else. Offense takes pace. He has none. JT could start with a tweak in his mindset.

Terrell needs to harness whatever got into him on the play against Maryland where he got into the lane and went between his legs and then dropped it off for a dunk. That, knock down open shots. Don't take the high speed quick contested jumper.

Biggest thing to me for him is anticipation that he will receive the ball. Against Holy Cross in the beginning of the game you saw him and Garret go through the motions of bringing it up and passing it to each other. They almost lost it every time for like 10 minutes. That can't be part of their game at all.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seems like several post are full of excuses. The best one I like is they are young???
Do you know how many Soph G start or play significant minutes in D1 (not to mention Fr)?
A shit load.
What will one year older do for their shooting?
Some A10 Gs their Soph year FG %s/3P%s:
Jack Gibbs 48/42.5
Brian Sullivan 40/38
Scoochie Smith 41/38
ShawnDre Jones 42/38
Garino 56/34
Donte Clark 42.5/39
Melvin Johnson 40/40

Current players from six A10 teams
EC 41/32.5
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He leads the A10 in 3FG% in conference play: 60.5%

He is shooting 51.3% from the field in 10 A10 games so far.

Whatever was bothering Jarvis and Jared earlier this season has gone away. Each is now very efficient and making shots around the rim and from deep.

Jarvis is averaging 16.5ppg and Jared has 15.5ppg in Conference Play.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Absolutely ATP. Jarvis has been lights out lately and Jared is coming on strong.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol @ this thread
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Well it shows they did struggle a lot earlier this season. Now they're top threats in the league.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The true test is whether JG and JT can play this well, or even close to it, against much better competition. A more accurate measuring stick of their talent level, if you will.

That would be a great sign of things to come, if they can.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Well it shows they did struggle a lot earlier this season. Now they're top threats in the league.
I think it teaches a good lesson about sample sizes and drawing conclusions. I was not laughing at the idea of this thread when it was created in December, it just seems a little funny in retrospect based on what we know now. It's OK to laugh at ourselves.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'm quoting myself because I never get the opportunity to say "I told you so." Especially with my impassioned defense of keeping Four's minutes high right before he entered his massive slump. I was right about this one though!
sf2010 wrote:
section(105) wrote: A sustained increase at this point is doubtful.
I'm not sure I agree with that. No one can dispute that they have underperformed to this point, so some "regression to the mean" is to be expected. I don't think anyone believes that their true talent level is that of 34 fg%/20 3pt% (Jarvis) or 33 fg%/25 3pt% (Jared), I strongly believe that their numbers will be better than that over the rest of the season, and I would wager that their numbers from here until the end will be higher than they were last season. I don't have any empirical evidence to back up that last assertion, obviously that's just an opinion.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I thought JT's comments on Thompson and Akele were interesting. He gets on his teammates, too, when he thinks they need it. It makes it all that more important for him to lead by example, which he has been doing much better lately. Whatever the record, I find it very easy to root for every player on this roster.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/jared-te ... ce=twitter
0 x