PC Game Prep: Ben Bentil piece at SBNation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

PC Game Prep: Ben Bentil piece at SBNation

Unread post by sf2010 »

Nice writeup on Bentil with some nice gifs that showcase the variety in his offensive game, helpful for those of us who haven't had much of a chance to watch PC this year. Definitely the biggest factor in their early season success has been the huge development from Bentil/Bullock. Didn't realize he was playing the 5 for them, KI/Hassan will definitely have their work cut out containing him. I think having KI defend him well would be huge, as Bentil can drift out and shoot some 3's which would draw Hassan out of the paint where he is needed to be the last line of defense against Kris Dunn's penetration.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... dunn-stats
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Ben Bentil

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just some FYI's on Bentil ...

Early in the season, people were crushing him for drifting to the 3 point line to shoot 3's. In the first 4 games, he was 2-13 (15.4%). Then in California, he shot 5-13 (38.5%). Cooley will want him shooting 4+ 3's to help with the spacing in the lane. Most of his 3's come off pick and pops with Dunn, where the bigs collapse into the lane and give Bentil space up top. If Bentil can connect, it obviously helps open up middle for Dunn to penetrate.

His inside game is still a work in progress. Early in the season (especially the Harvard game), his moves to the paint seemed out of control, early in the Illinois game, Raftery said something to the effect of "why does it look like he's just throwing it up?" Those who saw Bentil play in California saw a guy who seemed more polished, but in the 2nd half against Michigan St., he still had some shots that seemed more like prayers. If he's on though, he can be very difficult to stop. His footwork and ability to put the ball to the floor is much improved, it's the touch than can be an issue. He also has a known tendancy to lower his shoulder when initiating a post up. This has been largely cleaned up this year.

Where Bentil is at his best is that there probably aren't many guys that can match his toughness. He is really a 4 playing the 5 out of necessity, so his footwork in their aggressive defense can help cut angles while battling underneath. Not much of a shot-blocker, but has pretty quick hands and decent defensive awareness.

He has fatigued down the stretch of games, depth has forced him to play 36-38 minutes on many nights, and especially against tough teams, he's going at it at both sides of the ball. The end of the game, he has been largely invisible, which is ok on most nights when Dunn can take over, but the other night against Michigan St. they needed an answer and couldn't get him in the right spots.

If URI gets Bentil in foul trouble, it could be a very long night for PC. The only game he really had a foul issue was that I can remember was against Brown, which he wasn't really needed. Against 'Zona he had 4 fouls, but believed he picked up 3 in the second half, his 4th with maybe 3 minutes left. But he is their size and muscle, if he is out of the game, PC is forced to play extremely small, or play the seldom used freshman Quadree Smith in the paint.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: PC Game Prep: Ben Bentil piece at SBNation

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

PC is ranked. URI is a reeling 4-2.

EC got hurt. The rest of our team is mostly goons that defend/rebound well.

Love Dan Hurley. I honestly love his personality and the fire. Still, not sure where this team or anything is better than it has been over the past 15 years.

I get that there is new paint on a lot of things and things are done much better procedurally.

Keaneyblue.com needs to start looking into curses and things of that nature.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Cooley mouthing off again about game should be at the Dunk.. Best atmosphere in the state.. In a perfect world a rocking Ryan Center will energize the Rams and make PC wilt... Let's hope for one night of a perfect world..
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ram1980 wrote:Cooley mouthing off again about game should be at the Dunk.. Best atmosphere in the state.. In a perfect world a rocking Ryan Center will energize the Rams and make PC wilt... Let's hope for one night of a perfect world..
i only attend the Rhody game at the dunk every other year, but that place is dead quiet 99% of the time. No energy, except for when PC is pulling away.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:PC is ranked. URI is a reeling 4-2.

EC got hurt. The rest of our team is mostly goons that defend/rebound well.

Love Dan Hurley. I honestly love his personality and the fire. Still, not sure where this team or anything is better than it has been over the past 15 years.

I get that there is new paint on a lot of things and things are done much better procedurally.

Keaneyblue.com needs to start looking into curses and things of that nature.
Bruh
0 x