Referees disrupting game experience

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Referees disrupting game experience

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I haven't watched many hoops games this year

To those who have, how is the ebb and flow been ?

I found the cancun challenge games awful in terms of game flow

Too many whistles.. Way too many whistles

Let them play
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Referees disrupting game experience

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The problem I've noticed is that it just isn't very consistent from game to game. Some games are whistles every time down the floor, and others are just fine. So you never seem to know what you're going to get.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like the Dayton-X game, where the Hess/Kersey ref combo called zillions of fouls.....

Need to keep them away from URI games.......for Dan's health........
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

There's just no flow to the game. Aside from URI, I haven't been able to watch a full college game, and not just because of the refereeing, there's just so little teamwork. As an aside: watching the NFL is almost unbearable, a flag every-other-play, plays under review, etc., etc., Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't care if the games are called different game to game, just make sure that within a game, the calls are consistent. If you are going to call cheap hand-checks or contact on one side, make sure to get it both ways. And make sure it's called consistent whistle to whistle, noting more annoying to me where there is a game where players get whistled for breathing, only to have it open up for 2 or 3 minutes where guys are getting crushed no whistle, or a game where guys are crushed, and then you start whistling little hand-checks.

But I do air on the side of the hand-check rule personally, because there is nothing more annoying to me than a "physical" defense who gets away with holds and grabs all game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote:The problem I've noticed is that it just isn't very consistent from game to game. Some games are whistles every time down the floor, and others are just fine. So you never seem to know what you're going to get.
Sounds like the NFL.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I hate to admit this - but I'm finding college football much more enjoyable
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The NFL is becoming unwatchable.

Every game, there is griping about the officiating, and it's legit griping.

I was watching the Arizona-SF game, and it got so bad I was literally laughing at the TV.

Almost all pro sports are going in that direction, the NFL is just leading the way.

Not to mention even my favorite sport college basketball where the refs think they are the show, instead of the players.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That TCU game was horrible. The zebras called a foul on a sneeze creating zero flow for the game.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have a reputation with the refs. Some I think have it in for Dan.

There will be games where they call everything, and others where they don't.

Just be consistent on both ends. And in both halves of a game. That's a hard thing to expect nowadays.

Especially at Hawk Hill.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

[quote="rambone 78"]We have a reputation with the refs. Some I think have it in for Dan.

Do any of his players spend as much game time on the court as he does?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Having been around the block or two in this game; the rule emphasis, players being coached one way, refs doing their thing, calls going for or against, coaches working them; the players play the game, the coaches work their game, the refs are part of the landscape of college hoops.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have a problem with the traveling calls they have called on URI this year.

Watch games and guys switch pivot feet. Nearly pick the ball up on every dribble.

Only team they are calling traveling on is URI. I also don't think URI is switching the pivot foot as much as other teams and being called for it more. Its nuts.

Even calls. Here on out please.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rambone 78 wrote: I was watching the Arizona-SF game, and it got so bad I was literally laughing at the TV.
I was listening to the radio this morning and those officials have been demoted from the upcoming Sunday night game...

...to the Eagles-Patriots game. Oh what fun.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote:I haven't watched many hoops games this year

To those who have, how is the ebb and flow been ?

I found the cancun challenge games awful in terms of game flow

Too many whistles.. Way too many whistles

Let them play
To me the college game is improve with the rule changes

Scoring is up an average of a whopping 7 points per game. For some teams it is up way more than that
30 seconds down from 35 has made a bigger difference than expected
The college game average points per game was in a steady drop.

I like the elimination of the 5 second count

I also like the bench now not being able to call a time out when a player was in trouble with the ball - much better - I hated the coach being able to do this

Time outs reduced from 4 to 3 also an improvement

Many teams now breaking 100 points and some going well past 100
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Agree 100% with Ramster:

Games are far better than last year. Teams playing at a better pace, moving the ball better. Refs are doing fine. Refs have a mandate to make the games cleaner...but within that, it is understood that refs are individuals and each individual is different. It is incumbent upon the players to adjust to how a game is being called. If they're calling it tight, then stop hand checking and stop bodying guys. This is for all levels of sports. (A guy has a wider strike zone, then you know that when you step into the batter's box.) The refs should not adjust how they call a game b/c a coach is whining or a team "plays a physical style of defense." Play defense with your feet moving, good positioning, hands up and active, but off the man you're guarding.

Games are much better and nobody misses the extra timeouts.

Hope it keeps up as the conference games start up.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Fouls are always going to be tricky, and there will never be a time where people are universally praising the way that games are officiated.

For me the most positive impacts on the game have been the timeout reduction, and the rule that if a coach calls timeout within 30 seconds of the next media timeout, that called timeout is extended into the media break. Prevents those awkward double-timeouts that result in basically a five-minute break.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Definitely more fouling but that's expected with the rule changes. Once teams are used to the rules it should make for a better overall game.

Average fouls per game are also on track to be the highest in 35 years http://mattsstatsblog.com/?p=453
Last edited by josephski 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

This is an adjustment period, players have to get used to the new style of play (especially on ball defending) and the fouling will improve as time goes on.

I agree that the game will benefit from these changes. Interesting to note that the role of strength and physicality is being diminished in favor of speed. The game is constantly changing
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think college basketball is a little better than last year. I'm finding basketball far easier to watch than football though.
Not only because of the crap officiating, but the damn commercials in football are ridiculous.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Based on all the games I have watched this year it is hard to believe that the number of fouls per game are only up 2. That is acceptable if the pushing and excessive contact is reduced with offensive flow being improved. I expect the PC game to be very physical with the number of fouls being called playing a huge part in how both teams perform.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

eli#10 wrote:Based on all the games I have watched this year it is hard to believe that the number of fouls per game are only up 2. That is acceptable if the pushing and excessive contact is reduced with offensive flow being improved. I expect the PC game to be very physical with the number of fouls being called playing a huge part in how both teams perform.
Yea I wouldn't be surprised if that number went up. Last year we averaged 21 fouls as a team. This year so far we're averaging 17.5 which I doubt will stay that low with the new rules and the way we play defense. I'd imagine once teams start playing their conference schedules we'll see the number rise.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think it is really early to make any comparison with last year's full year stats, with the start up stats
of the games so far this season. Way too many cupcake games- ,

conference games are way different. way more defensive- much more knowledge of opponents
tendencies, pluses and minuses--
0 x