Game 7: College of the Holy Cross - Dec 2 7pm (Cox TV @ 9pm)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Game 7: College of the Holy Cross - Dec 2 7pm (Cox TV @ 9pm)

Unread post by TruePoint »

This game is airing on TAPE DELAY at 9pm ET on Cox Ocean State Network (CH 1005).

You can stream the game live on CoxHub for $5 or with your season pass: http://www.coxhub.com/uri-vs-holy-cross-12/2/2015

As always, the game will be broadcast live on B101 Radio.

Holy Cross comes into the Ryan Wednesday night with a 3-3 record (1-2 away). Wins @Marist, and against Sacred Heart and Harvard at home. Were beaten handily by Brown in their previous trip to the Ocean State, and also lost close ones to UNH and @Quinnipiac. Finished 7th in the Patriot League last year, and lost their two best players from that squad.

HC is led this year by a trio of upperclassmen, all averaging about 10 ppg: Malachi Alexander, Robert Champion and Cullen Hamilton. They're also getting good contributions from freshman Karl Charles. Hamilton is a 6'2" senior guard; the other three guys are all in the 6'6"/6'7" range and will chip in on the rebounding efforts. Alexander and Champion can shoot it from deep and should get a fair amount of attention from URI's stifling perimeter defense. Their junior PG Anthony Thompson leads them in minutes and assists, can score a bit (7.3 ppg), and takes good care of the basketball. Their center is a 6'11" junior, Matt Husek, who can also score a bit and will pitch in on the boards, and looks like a good shot blocker. Freshman guard Matt Zignorski will also contribute a little off the bench, but that is really it. Seven guys, and really six who average 25+ minutes.

Our lack of depth shouldn't bother us too much, and really we should be in a position to get Thompson and Akele and maybe Berry some run tomorrow night. Holy Cross has played everyone they've faced pretty tough this year, except maybe Brown, so they aren't a complete cupcake, but Rhody's athleticism will wear them down and this should be a relatively low-stress affair. Save your hair-pulling, screaming and nail chewing for Saturday, and enjoy this one!

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect. ... SID=917391
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -crusaders
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 7: College of the Holy Cross - Wed. 12/2 7PM (Cox/O

Bump. Nobody wants to talk about Holy Cross?

Famous alumni: Tommy Heinson, Bob Cousy and Bill Simmons; former RI Gov. Ed DiPrete; current SCOTUS justice and housepet of troll-jurist Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good one, TP. Scalia = Scary.......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Bump. Nobody wants to talk about Holy Cross?

Famous alumni: Tommy Heinson, Bob Cousy and Bill Simmons; former RI Gov. Ed DiPrete; current SCOTUS justice and housepet of troll-jurist Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas.
What about Gordie Lockbaum?!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Joe Mullaney......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hit shots, free throws, get the freshman and Berry more experience, stay healthy, get theW, go into the PC game with some momentum and see if we can pull the upset...
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Scalia has no connection to Holy Cross. Clarence Thomas got his undergraduate degree there.

What about Ronnie Perry? I remember seeing him go up against Rhody.

I have a close relative on the Athletic Dept staff at Holy Cross. Was just up at the Hart Center a few weeks ago. Checked out the Cousy statue out front and the NCAA and NIT championship trophies on display inside. The Hart Center (separate basketball, hockey, and swim venue within) will soon undergo a major $87m upgrade which will add a new full football field sized indoor practice facility along with other enhancements (no real upgrades to basketball venue).

Hart Center Upgrade:
http://www.alumni.holycross.edu/s/1380/ ... &pgid=1724
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:

Scalia has no connection to Holy Cross. Clarence Thomas got his undergraduate degree there.
That is what I said. I did not say Scalia went to Holy Cross.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

In class with one of the guys, he said Hurley won't even mention the PC game until after Holy Cross. Have to think its the only thing on the players mind though.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

HASwatTeam wrote:In class with one of the guys, he said Hurley won't even mention the PC game until after Holy Cross. Have to think its the only thing on the players mind though.
Which I believe is the right course of action, however, Providence has been on the coaching staff's mind 24/7.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well they better focus on Holy Cross because if not, it could be a lot tougher game that it should be....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Holy Cross game is important because it represents 40 more minutes for the players and coaches to get more comfortable with what this team is and is going to be in the post-EC era. I wish we could play two more games before PC.

The guys should be less worried about the opponent and more worried about their roles and executing their assignments on both ends of the floor. I am still bullish on this team, but their best basketball needs to be ahead of them if they are going to have a good season, and they need to accelerate the process of getting to their best basketball or the next couple weeks are going to be much harder than we expected them to be a month ago.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We need another game of confidence building for Akele and Thompson. Last one out was good. A second one would give a boost to how this season plays out. A six man rotation won't work and tomorrow starts the progression of our freshmen.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You're making too much sense, TP.

Stop it.

Seriously, the 3 games after HC will go a long way in telling us where this team is at, and what we can realistically expect the rest of the season.

None of them will be easy. If we can go 2-1 I'd be OK with that. Anything less, and it's going to be an uphill struggle to win 20 games.

I predicted a 9-4 OOC record even with no EC. I hope we get that at least.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

I checked my TV guide this morning to set the DVR and it looks like the game will air at 9 on OSN and the PC game will take its place at 7?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I love that Koch basically called out those three. Hopefully it lights a fire under their asses. They all have been grossly under-performing.

ramster wrote:The remaining 3...........

http://m.providencejournal.com/article/20151201/SPORTS/151209904/14023/SPORTS
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

we need to smoke these guys by at least 15 to carry momentum to Saturday, which we can do.
0 x
GO RAMS
CHC8485
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by CHC8485 »

RF1 wrote:

New here, but felt compelled to jump in.

While you are correct that Scalia is not a Holy Cross alum, you are incorrect that he has no connection to Holy Cross. He was smart enough to send his son to Holy Cross, who graduated in the early 1990's.

And since we're on Supreme Court connections, Chief Justice John Roberts is married to a Holy Cross alumna.

As to the game tonight ... looking forward to it. URI will be quite a test for a team still quite early in its learning curve under a new coach.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:we need to smoke these guys by at least 15 to carry momentum to Saturday, which we can do.
Just like the game against Rider, I'd rather a 1 point win where our new guys get more experience and confidence then a 15 point win where they don't progress. Their experience and confidence is far more important for Saturday and the rest of the year then a blowout win tonight.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Rhodymob05 wrote:we need to smoke these guys by at least 15 to carry momentum to Saturday, which we can do.

By at least 25***
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Not sure we ever need a 1 point game to Holy Cross. Or any team that has a home of record in Mass.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

What's the line for this game, can't find one.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

patriot league doesn't usually have lines (like the American game)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Good story in Narragansett Times today where, after the Rider win, Hurley called out Garrett, Terrell and Martin and said they don't spend enough time in the gym. Reading Koch's story, sounds like those three got the message.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If the students want to see a game this week, they'd better get to the RC tonight. Supposedly there will only be 1500 student tickets available for the PC game
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Most important thing to know about HC is that they're coached by Bill Carmody, who previously was at Princeton and Northwestern and runs the Princeton offense. So they'll be doing back-door cuts and looking to put up a lot of 3s, and they take care of the ball. The PG, Thompson, is 4-35 from 3. Clang!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RFORTE wrote:I checked my TV guide this morning to set the DVR and it looks like the game will air at 9 on OSN and the PC game will take its place at 7?
CORRECT. The URI-Cross game will air on Cox OSN on TAPE DELAY in the 9-11pm ET time slot. The PC game is live at 7-9pm.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Game 7: College of the Holy Cross - Dec 2 7pm (Cox TV @

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Live on Coxhub tho no?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Live on Coxhub tho no?
Yes, Internet steam is live:
http://www.coxhub.com/uri-vs-holy-cross-12/2/2015
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

we should crush this team and move onto PC
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People who bring a new, unwrapped toy to the game will get a half-price ticket to a future game.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Holy Cross is an excellent academic institution.....any one of us would be proud to have a degree from there...or to have our children graduate from there....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I expect and hope for w game just like the rider one. Only Hass JT and Jarvis give us more.
I'm going to predict Hass will dominate this game. And if Jarvis and Jared can make two jump shots in a row, I would be thrilled.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Holy Cross is an excellent academic institution.....any one of us would be proud to have a degree from there...or to have our children graduate from there....
Agree. Second best Catholic school in the country for me. Great school. And although we are in a different basketball world now, HC has a great basketball tradition as well.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ramulous wrote:Holy Cross is an excellent academic institution.....any one of us would be proud to have a degree from there...or to have our children graduate from there....
* For liberal arts
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh my Iverson just posterized that kid!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

These guys. I would be better off if I only watched them play and never saw anyone else play.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow a technical and it wasnt on Hurley!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If the defense shows up we will run away and hide from this team, but it's a little worrisome that a team that scored 50 against Harvard at home could feasibly get that in the first half against us at our place.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think they'll cool down in the second half. They didn't shoot a crazy PCT, but seemed to hit some pretty tough shots. They only shot 30% against Harvard, so I bet they come back down a bit in the second half.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

We need to tighten up on D a little. We gave them a few open shots. I am thinking we will come out a little more aggressive in the second.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I hope they cool off. But some of that is up to us to cool them off with the Rhode Block defense we all know and love so much.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

What's crowd like tonight? It sounds dead on the radio...
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Looks dead on the stream. My brother is there, says there are not many people.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What's the excuse tonight? It's not early morning. It's not Thanksgiving break. It must be something?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's Holy Cross? To sell a lot of tickets to the general public, you're gonna need some buzz. The team needs to create some buzz. That's the reality. Win Saturday, you'll turn the dial on the buzz-meter. Keep winning and the buzz-meter will keep going up and the building will fill up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

People probably read this board and thought the season was over...
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Nice start to the second half.
0 x