Game 6: Rider (Sun Nov 29 2pm CoxHub.com)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 6: Rider (Sun Nov 29 2pm CoxHub.com)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

On-Demand replay of the game is available from CoxHub for $2 or FREE with your season pass.

http://www.coxhub.com/uri-vs-rider-11/29/2015-replay
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

section(105) wrote:Having gone to the Dunk and watched PC play Harvard, and if PC plays man defense, and if Dunn guards either one, I don't see either one having the breakout game against PC. I was impressed by his pressure on the ball defense, deflects with wing span, and overall defense. Whomever he defends will be a challenged matchup.....No?
Good point, although Dunn can't guard both at once so one could have a shot at a really good game
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If I'm Cooley, I put Dunn on Four and shut him down. Who else has been a consistent scorer on the perimeter?
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Mmmmmmm.......no one
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Attendance was best for Game 1 vs American. It has dropped with each successive game. I would expect to reverse that trend this week. I would think the Holy Cross game will be a better draw than Rider on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and the Providence game on Saturday should be a sellout.

RHODE ISLAND HOME ATTENDANCE 2014-15
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
American | 5,089 | 5,089 | 5,089
Valparaiso | 4,881 | 9,970 | 4,985
Cleveland State | 4,721 | 14,691 | 4,897
Rider | 3,320 | 18,011 | 4,503
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Don't count your attendees before they attend…..
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Dunn's value is in his versatility....he rebounds, he defends, he steals, he disrupts....to have him guard Four on the perimeter would take him too far from the basket to do some of his other things.....I see him trying to take our point guard out of the game instead....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Don't they play a bunch of zone?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote:Dunn's value is in his versatility....he rebounds, he defends, he steals, he disrupts....to have him guard Four on the perimeter would take him too far from the basket to do some of his other things.....I see him trying to take our point guard out of the game instead....

I hope I'm wrong, because I think the more shots 4 gets, the better their chance to win, but...I don't think it takes a defender of Dunn's caliber to take 4 out of the game.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Dunno who Dunn is gonna cover Saturday all I know is I want him dressed in a green uni next year!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It looks to me like Jarvis is trying to play thru an injury, and struggling with it.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Watched the replay of game last night and despite a 25 point win, I had a empty feeling. Other than McGlynn's three point shooting, the guard play was atrocious. Garrett in his drives to basket seems to aimlessly throw up the ball with the hope it goes in. I read throughout the summer on this board how Garrett and Terrell were so improved. Where was the evidence of that?? Just saying.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obadiah yeah, I was expecting more due to the fact that there usually is a definite improvement between a player's freshmen and sophomore year.

Again, I know it's early, but 6 games in is enough of a sample size to draw some conclusions.

Jarvis may be slowed a bit by his ankle and Terrell might be trying to do too much.

Otherwise, what is it?

Hopefully with other guys stepping up, will take some of the pressure off those two, and we'll see some game from them. We need them to play MUCH better on Saturday, to have a chance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As soon as EC went down, the roles of Jared and Jarvis changed. So far neither has handled it very well. They need to grow into these roles. I have confidence that they will.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it does seem that they were most affected by the loss of EC.

The other is Hassan. He's still playing good D and blocking shots, but hasn't contributed much on the offensive end.

Fortunately Earl has stepped up big time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

For instance, and this is just a simple example, against Maryland, Jarvis took 14 shots. A few were forced. If EC is in that game, how many shots does Jarvis take?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes it still early in the no EC season, and the impacts regarding those trying to make up the difference, it seems to me JG is getting himself into the lane and takes shot that misses. I was loud and clear that he needed to start at the point position and maintain that position. I have to be honest and say the thought I had watching him in lane traffic was..... Mike Powellesq........ouch......if he can find Four on the perimeter on the dribble drive for an open three attempt.....that could help.....No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, it does seem that they were most affected by the loss of EC.

The other is Hassan. He's still playing good D and blocking shots, but hasn't contributed much on the offensive end.

The three returning starters have not thus far met the high expectations for them. The perplexing thing is it is all three of them at the exact same time. EC's loss is probably part of it but we are now six games in. One would have thought they might have had enough time to adjust. This season rests on their shoulders. Iverson and McGlynn were expected to be complimentary players but have exceeded that. I don't want to know where we would be if these two hadn't been immediate contributors.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, it does seem that they were most affected by the loss of EC.

The three returning starters have not thus far met the high expectations for them. The perplexing thing is it is all three of them at the exact same time. EC's loss is probably part of it but we are now six games in. One would have thought they might have had enough time to adjust. This season rests on their shoulders. Iverson and McGlynn were expected to be complimentary players but have exceeded that. I don't want to know where we would be if these two hadn't been immediate contributors.

We are six games in, but less than 20 days from losing EC. The roles these guys were expected to play were carved out over months and months, and they spent all that time preparing for them. Now they are having to figure out new roles on the fly, as they are playing because there hasn't been a ton of practice time since EC went down. I don't think they have had anywhere near the time I'd expect them to need to adjust - they probably won't fully feel comfortable in their new roles until February or March. The hope for now is that they can at least figure out what those roles are going to be and do a good enough job in them to win games against lesser teams and be competitive against better teams and try to fight hard enough to win them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All good points, TP, but it still doesn't explain why both of them have continued to miss shots, a lot of them are open shots.

Terrell still has problems finishing layups, I though that would be better, but not so far.

Yes, they are both taking too many bad shots too. That has to change.

Remember also, last season Terrell came to the rescue when EC was out. At least KI and Four, even Earl too, have helped make up for some of that.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rambone 78 wrote:All good points, TP, but it still doesn't explain why both of them have continued to miss shots, a lot of them are open shots.

Terrell still has problems finishing layups, I though that would be better, but not so far.

Yes, they are both taking too many bad shots too. That has to change.

Remember also, last season Terrell came to the rescue when EC was out. At least KI and Four, even Earl too, have helped make up for some of that.
Terrell seems to be pressing, feeling the weight of increased expectations now that EC is out (possibly because he recalls how he did lift his game last year and is fighting to do it again). Jarvis is clearly hampered by an injury. Given that his ability to score in the paint is heavily reliant on his quickness getting around his man and then past secondary defenders, any injury can severely limit that ability. Also, legs are pretty important in jump shots and his are dinged up now.

Also, sometimes people miss shots. Even lots of them in a stretch. Even over six games.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A couple of late posts about Sunday.

Agree with 105 that Jarvis is out of control going to the basket. We should know that we have a shooter waiting on the line for an open jumper.
When KI left the game right before garbage time, he went by Dan. Dan called him back to say something to him. I thought KI played more of a complete game Sunday than he did against Maryland. Hopefully, Dan conveyed that to him.
Dan had Thompson in early. He knows he can't play with so few subs. Not saying that it would have made that much difference, but we were so sluggish at the beginning of the Terp game. We are not a top defensive team by sitting around in a zone. Glad to see freshmen improvement.
See you tomorrow!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:A couple of late posts about Sunday.

Agree with 105 that Jarvis is out of control going to the basket. We should know that we have a shooter waiting on the line for an open jumper.
When KI left the game right before garbage time, he went by Dan. Dan called him back to say something to him. I thought KI played more of a complete game Sunday than he did against Maryland. Hopefully, Dan conveyed that to him.
Dan had Thompson in early. He knows he can't play with so few subs. Not saying that it would have made that much difference, but we were so sluggish at the beginning of the Terp game. We are not a top defensive team by sitting around in a zone. Glad to see freshmen improvement.
See you tomorrow!
Neil,
I thought Iverson played very well against Maryland. Iverson and Watson were both named to the 6 member All Tournament Team. Both played their best games as URI Rams against Maryland. Watson was do good I think it took a bit of the press away from Iverson.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing Iverson continue to develop and improve under DH's Coaching leadership. He is playing aggressive, unselfishly and efficiently.
Unfortunately Maryland was very hot and our guards were very cold - a bad combination.

http://rhodyrampage.com/2015/11/26/rhod ... ment-team/
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I don't think Garretts and Terrells roles are too different from last year even at this point. We expect them to do more than last year because they're a year older, not only because EC's out. It seems like people on this board are quick to forget that EC was not exactly an efficient scorer last year. He shot 40%, averaged almost 4 turnovers a game and seemed to often force things on offense.

From what I read on this board over the entire offseason our offense was going to be better because we would not need to rely so heavily on EC due to Jarvis, Terrell and Hassan all having improved offensively. I also remember reading that Thompson could have an impact immediately and Berry could probably get 10 minutes a game. All of which have not happened yet.

Obviously it hurts to lose EC on offense but he's not a point guard and he's not a key big man. So we lose his driving ability and the fact that the best defender on the opposing team would be guarding him. Seems Hurley is a little too concerned with defense which will only get you so far in college basketball without any offense.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Can't find much to disagree with there, except that we are somewhere north of without any offense...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ever notice that people are always talking about basketball players being inefficient? Turnovers?

Because its common. If you have the ball all of the time then you will have more chances to turn it over. Complacency is more likely. Other team has more chances.

A sophomore shooting guard with a bum foot and broken finger will likely turn the ball over if he is used a lot.

But that goes for everyone in the sport. Teams aim for what? 11 TO's i have heard many times??? Because you're going to turn the ball over.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ever notice that people are always talking about basketball players being inefficient? Turnovers?

Because its common. If you have the ball all of the time then you will have more chances to turn it over. Complacency is more likely. Other team has more chances.

A sophomore shooting guard with a bum foot and broken finger will likely turn the ball over if he is used a lot.

But that goes for everyone in the sport. Teams aim for what? 11 TO's i have heard many times??? Because you're going to turn the ball over.
Even during the PC-URI game from February 21, 1978, when URI defeated PC, 73-64, I heard myself muttering, "C'mon, Stanley…." when Stanley Wright turned the ball over on an entry pass from the mid-wing down low. He was such an efficient player, it still struck me because he was always under control.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ever notice that people are always talking about basketball players being inefficient? Turnovers?

Theres turnovers that come in the run of play and you can live with. Then there are turnovers that are just boneheaded plays. EC had more of the latter.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a comparison to last year, Terrell's difference in stats is more significant than Garrett's.

Code: Select all

Garrett    Last Season    To date

FG%           .339         .340
3-PT %        .276         .211
FT%           .670         .692

Terrell    Last season    To date

FG%           .371         .333
3-PT%         .319         .250
FT%           .714         .611

Both Terrell and Garrett are seeing about 8 minutes more playing time so far this season versus last year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The FG and 3 pt. percentages are awful.

Didn't realize they were that bad.....

The thing is, except for Maryland and a lesser extent Valpo, we haven't played that tough a schedule yet. Yeah, they are adjusting to life without EC, but still.....

It gets tougher starting Saturday.

Man, they have to step it up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think you can basically bank on a regression to the mean. I would think last year's numbers are a baseline for what to expect from those guys, and realistically this year's numbers should be better (especially for Garrett, who I think is a better shooter than his numbers last year would suggest). The slump has been a little disappointing, but the correction should be fun to watch.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's hope so. These guys aren't going to be great shooters, but why can't they become 40% and 30%, respectively, from the field and 3?

With their defense, I'd take that anytime.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As has been said, Jarvis' injury is really affecting his shot. An ankle/knee injury is almost as bad for a shooter as a hand injury would be. He's pulled up lame at least once in every game, so you know it's still bothering him. I'm not sure what the problem is with Jared. You would think with the weight loss and increased flexibility, his shot would be better. But not so far. Different role? Depending on him to score more? More pressure? Whatever it is, hopefully it changes quickly.
0 x