Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

KenPom's computer sees us losing a 66-64 game and gives us a 43% chance to score a huge upset.

Some head-to-head stats courtesy of Basketball State: http://bbstate.com/games/2015-11-25/URI-UMD

A preview from the Testudo Times:
http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-te ... preview-tv
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Fire it up ATP.. This would be a huge "get" for us !

#bandtogether
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

This is very winnable game.

Illinois State didn't have enough gas to play tough & defend for the full 40 minutes. If they didn't collapse defensively in the final 5 minutes they would have pulled off the upset. We know already Rhody is capable of defending from tip to buzzer.

Stay out of foul trouble, lockdown Trimble, & avoid turnovers and I like our chances of another grind out W.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

A few keys I see to this one:

Jared needs to bring his most efficient game tonight. His counting stats are up so far this year, but 3-point shooting & FT % are low and turnovers are high. It is tough to maintain efficiency with a big increase in your role, especially from Fresh to Soph seasons.

Can't give up all the breakouts and transition possessions that TCU had yesterday. This has been the weakness of the Rams against strong opponents: their halfcourt defense is excellent, but turnovers or long rebounds leading to transition baskets can result in a dozen or more "free" points.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the article...
Defense. The Rams don't give many points. Their team-adjusted defensive efficiency has hovered around 91 points per 100 possessions in each of the last two seasons (including the start of this one), both times a top-10 mark nationally. Last season, the Rams held opponents to a hilarious 27.2 percent 3-point shooting rate and blocked an equally outrageous 15 percent of opposing shot attempts. This year, they've given up 21 percent of opposing 3-pointers and blocked 16 percent of opposing shots. This team looks like an absolute defensive juggernaut.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Do you guys know if I can stream this online somehow?

I get CBS Sports Net via DirecTV, but I'm going to be out at a party tonight.

That being said, I don't mind being that guy sitting on a couch in the corner watching basketball on his phone.

I know DirecTV has streaming, but it doesn't look like CBS Sports Net is included in that. Also, I see this but I've never tried it before and IDK if it will work: http://www.cbssports.com/stream
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It's thanksgiving !

Nothing better than some yummy turtle soup to kick off our snacking!

Yum!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For a talented team UMD doesn't have a ton of guys who can create their own offense outside of Trimble. They are big inside so Hass, Earl and KI have to stay on the floor and hold their own. But our perimeter defense should bother them. If we can find good shots on offense we can stay in this one to the end, then anything is possible.

Should be said that Dan is doing great work out of TOs and out of bounds plays. A huge liability under our previous regime that has become a strength. We are executing well out of dead ball situationa which can be the difference between a W and an L. And
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maryland has size and more size- they're big even for a B10 team. They've played a smaller line-up from time to time. Trimble is so good and fun to watch; he's a great finisher around the basket. If the ball isn't in his hands, Rhode Island has the chance to force some turnovers. Glad they got this game, but it's going to be rough.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Glad to know that Dan worked them so hard before the season started. They are going to need it going back to back with so many 35 plus minutes the night before. Stay out of foul trouble! Go Rhody!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Illinois St. drove the ball a lot. Forced open shots just like Garrett was doing for Terrell and Four. Needs to happen again. Well have to throw in all the big boys we got tonight. There will be foul trouble but rhody should give them a game.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Searching for a point spread.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Justns11 wrote:Do you guys know if I can stream this online somehow?
If you look in the game thread from TCU, you'll see there is a website that permanently (illegally) streams CBS Sports Network. I tried it and it worked fine and others reported the same.

Here are the two places that worked (make sure you have an adblocker in your browser to get through all the ads covering the stream):
http://tv-link.in/tv201.php
http://www.stream2watch.co/sports/baske ... ovember-26
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I use tv link all the time. I will update if it's different for today's game (same website just different "channel")

Looks like it's tv95 instead of tv201 today
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

No spread up yet, but i'll guess our boys will be getting a touchdown.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Let's win ugly! If we're gonna hang with them its gonna be in a rock fight, but we're used to that type of game. Keep it in the 50s/low 60s and I like our chances!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maryland's starters are 6-3, 6-4, 6-9, 6-9, and 6-11. That's ridiculous.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am obviously rooting for a Rhody win (obviously!), but I also can't lie about being excited to have the chance to watch Trimble again. I really like watching that guy. He is on my short list of guys to follow this year along with Ben Simmons.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

this game screams Rock Fight to me. Both teams get after it on defense, neither has a 'take over the game' scorer, both struggle on offense at times. Seems like mirror images (with a difference in recruiting level).

Should be an ugly, close defensive battle. Which plays into our hands. Make a few shots/plays and who knows.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Thanks ATP & Twisted for the links.

Do I need to sign up for an account with tv-link?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Don't worry about listed heights. Many teams fudge that stuff. Melo Trimble is not 6'3". (Kevin Love was 6'10" at UCLA, he measured at 6'7.75" at pre-NBA draft camp.) But the NBA lists him at 6'10".
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Don't worry about listed heights. Many teams fudge that stuff.
Obviously. But have you see them? Height in the starting rotation, height off the bench. It's legit. Don't get stepped on Jarvis (who is not his listed 6-0).
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I always worry that in games like this URI will get caught up in the moment. Start forcing shots the second the are losing and be over aggressive on D - immediately getting into foul trouble. To me, Kuran is the absolute difference in this game. If Maryland has to guard him closely on offense because he gets off to another hot start the floor space will increase tenfold.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

If our big men can stay out of foul trouble then I think we have a legitimate shot to win. If our bigs end up in foul trouble then it's going to be a long game. Hopefully Thompson can give 5-10 good minutes but I'm not sure if he is even ready to be on the floor with a team like Maryland.

I could also see this game being very similar to the Kansas game last year
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Saw these; Maryland-4.5 and -5......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My Uncle has been a UMD season ticket holder for years.

He says UMD is somewhat overrated this year, as often happens early in the season of course...

We definitely have a legit shot. Stay out of foul trouble early, and maybe hit a few more FTs (there, I said it).

GoRhody!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Maryland isn't like a returning final four team although they are getting that treatment.

This is a winnable game for Rhody. Like Md. is young and not Kentucky.

Just mind the fouling situation(free throw shooting and picking up fouls). Value the ball a little more.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

They are big, they aren't too much taller than TCU, BUT the are a lot more skilled on the post.
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RI_Bred wrote:My Uncle has been a UMD season ticket holder for years.

He says UMD is somewhat overrated this year, as often happens early in the season of course...

We definitely have a legit shot. Stay out of foul trouble early, and maybe hit a few more FTs (there, I said it).

GoRhody!
Maryland is definitely overrated and should not be #2 in the country right now. Hopefully we can take advantage of this opportunity because by the end of the year I think Maryland will look like a top ten team but they haven't looked like that yet this season.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think we may be underrating Illinois St. They should have a good season.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Illinois state is a strong team.
Maryland player heights are legit - they are a tall team
Robert Carter was recruited by Jim Baron who in fact visited him during the spring recruiting period
Carter had URI in his list of considered schools but ultimately picked Georgia Tech where he was a successful starter.
Carter surprised Tech when he announced transferring to Maryland and sat out last year.
He played well last night and had several short passes from the lane that ended in dunks. Clearly designed plays.
Maryland moved up in rankings because of winning and others losing like UNC having been number 1.
So now Kentucky is ranked 1 -and Maryland 2.
If Maryland should not be number 2 then. Suggest who should be ahead of them for discussion purposes.

To me just saying Maryland should not be #2 and is over rated just takes away from our own URI team - already diminishing a possible victory by us tonight.

Maryland isn't the #2 ranked team in the nation ...... Period

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

By the way.............

Illinois State fans saying Maryland should destroy Rhode Island tonight......in case locker room material needed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Current top 10 AP
Maryland solidly second in both AP and Coaches Polls:
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Kentucky (59) 4-0 1,619
2 Maryland (6) 3-0 1,518
3 Michigan State 3-0 1,448
4 Iowa State 2-0 1,297
5 Kansas 1-1 1,243
6 Duke 4-1 1,238
7 Oklahoma 2-0 1,210
8 Villanova 4-0 1,153
9 North Carolina 3-1 1,141
10 Gonzaga
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I AM surprised that Maryland got some 1st place votes.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

FWIW, Doug Gottlieb on more than one occasion last night said he thought Maryland's ballhandling was suspect. IF (the biggest word in the dictionary) that is the case, the way our guards defend gives us a legit shot.

BTW, have we played Maryland since the NIT in 1979?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:FWIW, Doug Gottlieb on more than one occasion last night said he thought Maryland's ballhandling was suspect. IF (the biggest word in the dictionary) that is the case, the way our guards defend gives us a legit shot.

BTW, have we played Maryland since the NIT in 1979?
Nope, that was our last meeting with them. this will be our 4th time total playing them.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What scares me is Maryland has a tough time against teams that run. Since we lost EC we have slowed down. I wonder what the game plan will be from Hurley. After watching last night this team is beatable.. we can do this let's go!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

My opinion of Maryland being overrated is based off the fact their best player is young and if he was that great he would have gone pro. He wouldn't be the first or last dominant sophomore pg but I don't think he transcends our guards.

Diamon stone is a freshman. Raw.
Robert Carter has always been more of a 12 and 6 guy. We have those guys.
Sulaimon to me is avg. not sure he would be a 1st team all A10.
One of there guys got hurt.
The rest are good-avg P5 guys.

My main point is that Mark Turgeon isn't far and away a better coach than Dan Hurley. Put that together with a team that looks better on paper than it does on the floor. We have a great chance to win.

Before anyone goes to bat for Melo Trimble(who obviously is a great player) our guards have played Dunn. They've played Davidson. They've played Dayton. They've practiced against each other.

Our guards aren't scrubs. Our front court plays above its height every night. Most tall players vertical jump is less than 30". Our guys have hops that make up for the 1-3 inch height advantage.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree that we have a great chance to beat Maryland
I don't agree at all that a portion of our "great chance to win" is because Maryland is not as good as people think and is over rated at #2.

We have a great chance to win because we play incredible suffocating defense for 40 minutes per game, because we have talented players and a great coaching staff. We play in a tiugh conference that is showing the college basketball world how under rated we are.

We beat the #2 team in the country tonight it's because we are better tonight than the #2 team in the country.

No excuses
GO RHODY
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We definitely have a shot to win this for all the reasons listed above. I see us having a hard time coming back if we get down though. Our offense has been rough as all of you know. However last night it was hard to get into any kind of rhythm with the whistle blowing every five seconds!
It would be Rhody's luck if Maryland suddenly put's everything together and gets hot.
But our boy scratch and claw like no other, so we should keep them on their heels in some capacity.
Our guys gotta knock down some shots, JT and JG need to make some threes along with Four. Kuran be the Kuran that scored 9 of our first 13 last night and Hass make some damn free throws.
Let's get arguably the best regular season win Rhody has ever had tonight!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:We definitely have a shot to win this for all the reasons listed above. I see us having a hard time coming back if we get down though. Our offense has been rough as all of you know. However last night it was hard to get into any kind of rhythm with the whistle blowing every five seconds!
It would be Rhody's luck if Maryland suddenly put's everything together and gets hot.
But our boy scratch and claw like no other, so we should keep them on their heels in some capacity.
Our guys gotta knock down some shots, JT and JG need to make some threes along with Four. Kuran be the Kuran that scored 9 of our first 13 last night and Hass make some damn free throws.
Let's get arguably the best regular season win Rhody has ever had tonight!
Yep
It's games like this the reason Dan Hurley took the University of Rhode Island job.
Could be one of the greatest OOC victories (in season) in the history of the school.
What a Thanksgiving Present it would be.
Turtle Soup with the Turkey.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Maryland message board thread discussing the spread:
http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/67/ ... d-41385842
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

My prediction:

Rams shoot 80% from the line tonight and pull off the upset.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Maryland is not overrated, they're just young. Trimble is one of the best PG's in the country. Sulaimon is understandably rusty but talented for sure, much like KI, just with more rust. Once they put it together, they are going to be a legitimate top 5 team and final four contender.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote:Maryland message board thread discussing the spread:
http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/67/ ... d-41385842
That's a pretty sorry board.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

not to draw any more attention to it per say but thanks again for the link info guys! too bad CBS isn't as good about steaming there sports as some others like ESPN and NBC sports.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LETS GO RHODY !

this is the game we waited for

Go out there and FIGHT for the W
0 x