Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Re: Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Unread post by Joe »

Ramulous wrote:1978, 1988, and 1998 are tied for the best team we ever had....
Does this mean that 2018 will be 'the year' ?
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

NOT TRYING TO COMPARE ERAS,BUT WHEN THE NIT WAS THE MAIN POSTSEASON TOURNAMENT

THE 1946 TEAM LOST TO KENTUCKY BY 1 POINTFOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Joe wrote:
Ramulous wrote:1978, 1988, and 1998 are tied for the best team we ever had....
Does this mean that 2018 will be 'the year' ?
Yeah, but what happened to 2008? Oh yeah, now I remember.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:The '78 team beat nationally ranked USF, Wake Forest,
Brigham Young with Danny Ainge, UConn, BC, and PC TWICE.,
went 24-7 and were a couple of John Nelson point blank misses from beating Duke and playing
the next 2 games at the PCC, leading to Final Four.
I've met you and I see no way you know jack about ther '78 team
except to try to read scores and make some conclusion that they weren't that good.
Their competition was literally coast to coast, playing numerous ranked teams.
Dave Gavitt said they had an NBA style front line.
They were deep and they were tough.
They had the greatest player of the modern post Frank Keaney era.
They ended that season as hot as any team in the country.
You want to dare compare the '78 team to this team?
Please! You don't have the remotest clue.
I don't understand what's controversial about what I said. I said that team was better then this year. I went on to point out bad losses they had. And I implied that if a successful team that's better then this year could get blown out then certainly us getting blown out by Maryland isn't that big of a deal. And even after your tirade I stand by that opinion. Maybe I don't have a clue but at least I have reading comprehension and perspective.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

1978 was the best team we ever had, followed by the 1998 one.

I will never forget the awful feeling after that loss to Duke.

We were robbed, plus knowing that we would have most likely been a Final Four team, will always be the biggest "what if" since I started following Rhody hoops 50 years ago.

Yes, the Stanford loss ranks right up there with it too. I'm not sure we'd have won the whole thing either year, but just to make the FF would have been a great lifetime memory for me and many others, some of them on this board.

Also knowing how hard it will be, to ever have that opportunity again.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Sorry old timers but the best URI team is still to come! Love the enthusiasm the board has for the past but I'm looking to the future and hoping it's bright.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote:My two cents...

Lose EC
Lose to Valpo
Get THROTTLED by md
Not happy with the performance of his team
Not happy with himself
Losing by 20+
(Still extremely positive with his players during timeouts)
Sees maryland almost draw a flagrant foul towards the end with that pick
Sees them start to sub their starters out, one at a time, like it's senior night, just so the 1000 or so md fans can cheer them some more
Then they hit that 3, and call timeout to get the last of their subs in...

Hurley says something like WTF
And the md coach starts FUCKING SCREAMING AT HIM LIKE HE'S LOST HIS MIND
has to be restrained...wtf was that?!?!?
I'd be pissed too if I was Dan
Then the game ends, and he's shaking hands and the FUCKING TRAINER says something?!?!?

Then the md fans say hurley should be fired?
Gimme a break
You thought Brady was set-up?
This is absolutely nothing...and all the media is running with it because maryland is ranked?
This sucks...
Who is the 'tournament official'?
Gottlieb was on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING FLOOR...
I was closer than he was.

You go Dan, and Thor, and Dooley...
Agree with this post 100%
A few more things as I rewatched the game and reflect after the emotion:

The Time Out by by Turgeon at the 1:40 mark was crap. He didn't even empty his bench, only two players came in - Anzmann and Ram - it was a stupid timeout and Dan called Turgeon out on it, then Turgeon went bonkers needing to be restrained. What an idiot.

Technical Fouls were called on both Benches with the Maryland Technical going to Freshman Andrew Terrell - remember that name.

The headlines talk about DH,writers just trying to get headlines. Fact is David Cox and Jim Carr were both in Turgeon's face as they went through the handshake line. No mention of that anywhere, only DH.

At the 2:35 mark, Rasheed Sulaimon hits a 17 foot jumper to put Maryland up by 24, on the way down the court he is mouthing off to Jared Terrell. There is a reason Sulaimon got kicked off the Duke Team his Senior year for attitude issues. He showed attitude throughout the game and Turgeon just lets it go.

Turgeon continues to make substitutions as the last two minutes go by at turnovers, fouls, etc - normal substitution opportunty breaks. Funny Turgeon didn't call time outs later to make his subs - he didn't dare

At the 33 second mark, Andrew Terrell, the Freshman who had the Bench Tech when Turgeon called the Time Out, hits his first 3 and points ever as the 30 second clock expires and Maryland fans go nuts. When it rains it pours.

So tell me why the Maryland Players can talk "shit" during the game and that is ok, but DH can't say what is reported to be something along the lines of thanks for taking shit on the court today to our players? DH stands up for himself and for his players, coaches and university. Even if he did say this, then so what? Turgeon should coach his players not to talk like this on the court, ESPECIALLY when the game is basically over and you are way up. What kind of shprtsmanship are you teaching? Refs should have seen this kind of thing coming.

The resort is all inclusive. Food, beer, wine, liquer served all day, all night, everywhere. Servers bringing free drinks right in the stands.
Imagine the Maryland fans laying at the pool, etc drinking all day with a game starting at 9pm the night before Thanksgiving. No driving home, can stumble back to room. So the environment for the fans is fun when you are way up, and the fans were cheering as if the last basket just won the game.

Tough environment for our players and coaches with Maryland having 90% or more of the fans. Tough to hear the cheering losing by 20 plus points.

This game will make us tougher in the long run, we learned a lot, and hopefully will storm through the A10 schedule grabbbing an NCAA bid.

I, for sure, second this comment..........

You go Dan, and Thor, and Dooley..
0 x