GAME PLAN OFFENSIVElY moving forward

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

GAME PLAN OFFENSIVElY moving forward

Unread post by Tom98 »

Ok now we need to talk offensive strategy moving forward. Obviously we need everyone to step up their game to make up for EC. Here are my thoughts and I would like to here what others think....

1. Terrell needs to be the main guy to step up. I think he is clearly our next best scorer. He is now a sophomore and in my opinion is primed for a great season. I know he worked hard all off season. Based on what I've seen so far (practice, Rhody madness, game 1) his shot looks better and is finishing stronger at the rim. He is extremely confident and a vocal leader....need to put him in control of this team.

2. Hass needs more touches!! We all know how good Hass is defensively but based on what I've seen he seems much more comfortable putting the ball on the floor and finishing at the rim. He should get a touch on every possession that is not a fast break in my opinion. If it's a poor matchup with size that's one thing but other than that he needs to attempt to get buckets in the paint. I am very concerned with his free throws however. He is still not making free throws with consistentcy. Please Hass stop practicing dunks and work on free throws.

3. Need to be setting screens for Four. Teams will clearly be looking to play up on Four. Set screens allowing him to get clean looks outside. We will need his 3 ball. Four might need to play more than Jarvis because of our need for scoring.

4. What should our starting line up be? I'm think it should be Jarvis, Four, JT, Iverson at the 4 and Hass at the 5 if we are playing a small to normal size team and if we are playing a big team like Valpo, I think it has to be Four, JT, Iverson at 3 spot, Earl and Hass. Jarvis off the bench.

5. Iverson needs to play multiple roles on this team based on match ups. I think against smaller teams we need him at the 4 and against big teams we need him at the 3. Iverson has ton of potential and has a unique skill set. I think he will spend a lot of time at the line. Needs work on his free throws. His development this year because of the EC situation will be critical!! He has the tools but needs to polish his game up fast. First assignment is hitting free throws

I strongly feel if we regroup and alter our game plan we will have a special year. I will never give up on this team. Go Rhody!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: GAME PLAN OFFENSIVElY moving forward

Unread post by bigappleram »

I am guessing we will be reverting back to a more defensive, grinding team...quite simply we lost our most prolific scorer, so our team scoring will go down. Disano said it best in his post mortem about life after EC, guys cant try to do too much -- Garrett and Hass just keep doing what they are doing, Terrell and Iverson have the opportunity to fill some of the offensive void. But for us to win its likely the game will have to be played in the 60s.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

4. What should our starting line up be? I'm think it should be Jarvis, Four, JT, Iverson at the 4 and Hass at the 5 if we are playing a small to normal size team and if we are playing a big team like Valpo, I think it has to be Four, JT, Iverson at 3 spot, Earl and Hass. Jarvis off the bench.

I think Jarvis starts in any line up variation. He is the floor leader. I agree witn your small line up (it was starting line up for 2nd half vs AU). I like a big line up vs taller teams (Valpo could be one of those situations). Earl would be in and Four out in thr big line up. The risk with the big line up is the lack of depth up front. Hass and Earl could get in early foul trouble.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think Hurley keeps his defensive philosophy his prime goal. To me, this means that Christion probably starts. Four off the bench. Four way too slow for serious pressure.

This is a really thin team now, and unless we get a lot out of Akele, I don't think Hurley with the key players playing 35 minutes each wants to speed up the game. All of a sudden, losing Iffy could matter with this small bench.

Here is a question; if you medically redshirted, does It open up another scholly for this year, just in case someone falls in our lap. eg an undergrad that graduates after first semester, and does post graduate starting in Jan, and only has used up 3 years of eligibility.

The ultimate irony if we are done with next year's recruiting but still searching the "waiver wire" for this year.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Iverson from what I've seen should be able to draw fouls on bigs easy. In the second half when he caught it and swung through to the baseline and the guy kind of pushed him? Remember that? Went to the line. Seems indefensible to me.

Offensive strategy can be a little more heady in terms of exploiting match ups. Spacing the floor with four to give room to work. Iverson also looked to feed Hassan. I think they can run the O through Iverson because he can score, create offense through drawing fouls, and really good passing. He's not a great shooter though so Put him in position to thrive.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Starting line up; insert Four for EC, I think he bounces it well enough, has the vision, court spacing awareness, shooting range and experience to make significant contribution immediately....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote:I think Hurley keeps his defensive philosophy his prime goal. To me, this means that Christion probably starts. Four off the bench. Four way too slow for serious pressure.

This is a really thin team now, and unless we get a lot out of Akele, I don't think Hurley with the key players playing 35 minutes each wants to speed up the game. All of a sudden, losing Iffy could matter with this small bench.

Here is a question; if you medically redshirted, does It open up another scholly for this year, just in case someone falls in our lap. eg an undergrad that graduates after first semester, and does post graduate starting in Jan, and only has used up 3 years of eligibility.

The ultimate irony if we are done with next year's recruiting but still searching the "waiver wire" for this year.
No way Thompson starts. Akele was going to be 9th man and now he is they key - please.

To your questions about adding a player. 1) no; 2) no; 3) no
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I feel that we are very fortunate to have Four. He be good! It was awesome seeing someone make threes like that on our team. Haven't had a spot up shooter since Jimmy.
We're gonna need Iverson to get his offense goin. He needs to drive to the basket more. He did that one time against American and laid it up and it. He's got the speed and length to beat 95% of all college players in an iso situation. When the double team comes, kick it out to Four or dump it over to Hass. He also should only shoot threes when he's open. That one three he took flew right by the coup. Basically a pass to Hass.
JT's gotta be out GoTo guy of course. Akele and Christion just need to keep workin and not try to do too much but go out and bust their ass.
I think there will be quite the adjustment period with guys finding their roles, but after the Anerican game I can tell our defense is going to remain strong and should keep us in games when our offense is struggling.
Don't know if Berry will be able to do much for us this year. He could maybe hold his own for a few minutes against a lot of A-10 teams. But think about next year, do you see him playing much when those three bigs come in our freshman class next year? I'm sure somebody has asked that question before, but I just had the thought after re-looking at our class of 2016 the other day.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

I honestly don't see the offensive game plan changing much at all. JT wil be EC going foward, JT isn't as polished as EC, nobody would say he is. But, JT deferred to EC when both were on the court which was troubling to watch. Having them both on the court at the same time should have been an advantage, but it never felt that way. I always thought maybe JT should have come off the bench, but how do you tell a 4 star recruit with awesome defensive skills he's not starting?

Now, you'll see us focusing heavily on defense, but they need to play smart especially down low. And now our bench is thinner, that controlled defense is even more imperative. Down another man, does Iffy come back second semester if his grades are in order?

We are lucky this happened the first game of the season. The shock of the injury happened game one against a weaker opponent and now you have a good portion of the season to retool your strategy and rotation going forward and the ability to redshirt EC.

The Valpo game may be rough. We are playing a successful experienced team which is scary. Hopefully, the RC is rocking at 10 a.m and give a well-deserved ovation to EC and hopefully his strength and character is a lightening rod for the Rams. Go Rhody!
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Valpo is a big team....multiple players over 6"9. We are going to need both Earl, Hass and Iverson in the game together as much as possible or we will be in trouble in the paint. Iverson being pushed out to the 3 spot should give him a mismatch opportunity. We need Four in the game because he is by far our best shooter.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree defense now has to be focused on even more. That's why I feel Earl needs to be in the lineup.... He is a very wide/big body and will help to clog up the lane. I think Earl should now be starting and Iverson should play the 3
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tom98 wrote:I agree defense now has to be focused on even more. That's why I feel Earl needs to be in the lineup.... He is a very wide/big body and will help to clog up the lane. I think Earl should now be starting and Iverson should play the 3
Earl still seems very foul prone. Yeah, it's only one game, but he had 4 fouls in 13 minutes against not the best of competition. We need him on the floor a lot more than that against better competition.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think we should start Thompson. He's not ready yet, but it will give us options off the bench.
If we go with Earl, we'll probably have early foul problems. 4 would be a good starter, but, he's our other pg now. I always want a fresh pg. As the game goes on, they all mix and match anyway.
Starting our 5 best will just give us freshmen off the bench.
It's not perfect, but, we're a thin team now.
Just my opinion.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well with Jarvis potentially being out now, there won't be many other options. Thompson will have to start I'd think.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Tom98 wrote:I agree defense now has to be focused on even more. That's why I feel Earl needs to be in the lineup.... He is a very wide/big body and will help to clog up the lane. I think Earl should now be starting and Iverson should play the 3
Earl still seems very foul prone. Yeah, it's only one game, but he had 4 fouls in 13 minutes against not the best of competition. We need him on the floor a lot more than that against better competition.
I am hoping for a different set of refs. Lost in the shuffle of everything was how terrible they were, and Earl probably had the defensive play of the game that was inexplicably called a foul.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How many games nowadays can we say the refs were GOOD?

They stink, almost all of them. Even when there is a good ref, the others make up for it by sucking....
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm not seeing anything else about Jarvis being out. So in case anyone missed it, here's Chris DiSano's analysis on how the Rams will adjust:

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/insider- ... r-american
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He's got a sore knee. He will play imo.

If he's out, I would say we will have little chance of winning tomorrow.

Any more major injuries to key players, and this season which had so much hope and promise, will be torpedoed before it even starts....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The offense runs through Terrell. That will be the game plan. He can and will produce. EC was a huge signing for us, but we didn't have a 100 pages on a thread for his recruitment. JT will be out of the shadows and history has shown he will produce.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree with putting the team is Terrell's hands. I think with his personality he can thrive in that role. Need everybody to rally and step up their game
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Easier said than done, Terrell started out great last game, and then the minute EC went down you could tell he felt the responsibility to be the alpha dog and he had some blunders.
He isn't a polished offensive player YET, he will be in time, but him forcing the action is not the answer. He needs to stay within the flow of the offense, and do all the other things he does so well - create steals, rebound, hit open looks, and be our on floor leader.
0 x