If EC is out for the year... and he is

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

If EC is out for the year... and he is

Unread post by DanInAZ »

If EC is out for the year... Rhody may not be as good as they could have been this year... but...

a) They are still a better team than they were last year.
b) The Freshmen will grow up more quickly and it will pay dividends thru the 18/19 season.
c) The team will be forced to share the ball more than they would have otherwise.
d) The team will rally around their friend and teammate.
e) Next year will be even more special than it would have been (EC possibly leaves for NBA; Freshman don't get as much game experience).
f) Many A-10 teams have lost players due to injury, suspensions, etc. past and present seasons. Dayton still had a great season last year. Time to overcome and dictate the season's narrative on Rhody terms; not by using this loss as an excuse to become less than what is desired.

I hope EC plays this year, and no later than the start of the A-10 season, but if he doesn't there will be positive byproducts (a secondary result, unintended but inevitably produced in doing or producing something else).

....and I agree with Rod. Hassan going down would have been more devastating.

EC stay positive, do everything the therapists tell you to do, and we hope to see you smiling again on the court as soon as possible. I tore my ACL. I know the road ahead will not be easy. You are lucky to have such great friends and support to get you back on your feet.

*group hug*
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: If EC is out for the year...

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am on the verge of tears
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
2012ram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 2012ram »

Hey Rhody Fans!

Just wanted to drop in and say that the VCU Rams are hoping and praying that EC is okay and he's back and playing soon. Never in a million years would we want to see this would happen to any team... not even Richmond.

Best wishes from RamNation south. Take care guys!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Hope EC is ok.

This team is still going to have a decent chance at THE DANCE even without EC.

Didn't take long for the we're doomed crowd to come out.

Say prayer for EC and hope for the best for him.

Beat valpoo!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Agree with all the above. It will be tougher but we have the pieces to overcome EC's injury longterm.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Are you sure that we're better than last year without him? I guess only time will tell
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

And Hurley will probably make the offense be centered around Hassan.. Four will have an even larger role
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Please be OK EC!

I think we will be good but not great without EC. If we shot FTs like last night, this year will be very similar to last year.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

This team will still have a decent shot at the dance? Really, you actually think that?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2012ram wrote:Hey Rhody Fans!

Just wanted to drop in and say that the VCU Rams are hoping and praying that EC is okay and he's back and playing soon. Never in a million years would we want to see this would happen to any team... not even Richmond.

Thank you for taking time to register and share that with us, 2012ram!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If EC is out for the year...

The fans need to get behind this team more than ever.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

3 years ago today, EC and Hassan officially signed their NLI and our excitement was through the roof. Here's hoping there's a good omen today, and it's just a sprain.
0 x
Go Rhody
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

This knocks us down to 9 scholarship players.. Only 8 that are going to get meaningful minutes... Yes there is talent, but there is not much depth.. Everyone else needs to stay healthy.. Program just can't get totally over the hump.. Need to get to that 12 scholarship player level with decent talent across the board to get where we want to go.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

2012ram wrote:Hey Rhody Fans!

Class move
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
2012ram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 2012ram »

Thanks for having me!

We're hoping for the best for EC, but if the worst comes to pass, your season is not over. Losing Weber last year didn't kill us (though it was a little rough there for a stretch), and losing EC won't kill you guys.

Hopefully it's all a moot point. I'll be cheering for you guys either way, except for that 40 minute stretch at the Siegel Center this year.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am going to assume that EC is out for the year.......the injury may be such that even if it does not require surgery it will significantly impact EC all year and diminish his year.....EC is not Kris Dunn.....he is not a lock for the first round of the draft no matter how much we like him.....he needed a big year this year to vault him into that round....

....that being said it is in his best interests to get fully recovered from this injury and be ready to go next year.....

....the A-10 is expected to be down a bit this year.......we can still finish in the top three provided we get some increased production from Terrell and Iverson with the growth of Christion Thompson...

.....my conclusion is EC should red-shirt this year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Too soon to make that decision to redshirt.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

IF EC is out for this year, the high expectations for this season are probably no longer realistic goals. His loss would be devastating.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Nice tweet by Jeff Dowtin.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:IF EC is out for this year, the high expectations for this season are probably no longer realistic goals. His loss would be devastating.
I disagree. My expectations won't change a whole lot. EC is probably our most talented player, but because of what else is on the roster he is not irreplaceable. It might require some time to adjust the style of play and roles of certain guys, but there is no reason that this roster without EC can't compete in the A10. There are 30+ basketball games to play. It's little too soon to give up on the season. Time to circle the wagons.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Dear URI Universe,

I have not written about E.C. Matthews' injury or the basketball team until now. Simply, I wish E.C. the best of luck in his recovery from whatever injury he sustained.
Coach Hurley has the best handle on the situation and that is why the University hired him, to lead his team through thick and thin and whatever in-between, great expectations or not.
Everyone can cry about their great happiness being ruined by what happened last night. In the Grand Scheme of Things, stop your blubbering, crying, whining, Doomsday Outlook, and re-commit yourselves to backing this team and its staff just the way you did with great expectations before last night's game.
Out of bad situations come opportunities to grasp excellence. One young man does not make a team, many young men do. It is my belief that this Family of Young Men will follow the lead of their mentor, Coach Dan Hurley. Coach Hurley is not a quitter, he is anything but that, and E.C. Matthews didn't tragically die. He's injured, he will be rooting for and supporting "his Family." That is the culture established by Coach Hurley, and it is real.
Chins up, heads high.
Breathe.
There is a season to be played, games to attend, Family to support and cheer.
Remember: YOU ARE THE URI UNIVERSE!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Legit I've handled breakups emotionally better than I'm handling this.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bressler, well stated, amen....thx
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Post game press conference video is posted:

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/hurley-o ... gods-hands
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm not as pessimistic as some about EC not playing.
If memory serves correct, we did not lose one of the games
he didn't play last season.
Don Kaull noted that Terrell's stats were way up in the games EC
missed or was limited, and way down when EC was playing.
Terrell seems to defer to EC when he's on the floor.
Terrell is the highest rated player four year we've had since Lamar.
We are solid in the backcourt, and this jump-starts Thompson's
development.
No, the offense won't revolve around Hassan, and likely never will.
While he's our best player, his value is in defense and rebounding,
not so much scoring. Although he looked great last night
in the open court.
This is, however, a huge setback for EC.
Preston told me it's the worst, because EC is such a hard worker.
Hopefully it's not what everyone fears, but we'll hear more
today.
A player who is so highly valued by his teammates on and off the
court, is a big loss, regardless of how the team comes together for
the rest of the season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

While a devastating loss, this happens in sports and the team has to adopt the 'next man up' philosophy. Now more than ever the fan base/students need to rally behind them and support. I hope for the best with EC, and that whatever the extent of the injury is that it is something that is treatable and does not put his basketball future in jeopardy. PC, Dayton, amongst others, have dealt with similar situations and weathered through them to have good seasons. I have confidence we will as well -- Terell, Iverson, Thompson -- all staring at bigger opportunities. Dan with a big job ahead of him.
Likely looking at more grinding games in the 60s and a bigger emphasis on defense, but a win is a win and we still can compete within the top of the conference.
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

"Dad, you look like you're going to start crying, are you ok?" My 8 year year old said this to me as EC was being carried off the court. I tried to explain to him how serious it could be, even breaking down to him what an ACL is and all of that, but he's 8 and assured me he would heal up for Tuesdays game. I wish I could trade places with him and have that mindset. Common sense and years of being a URI fan have me thinking the worst though.

Hoping for the best but it doesn't sound good right now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't think the emotions we are feeling is due to the impact on this year. He was the number one player instrumental to this rebuild. He came here to help rebuild OUR program. And he did. I hope this isn't as bad as we all suspect.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

So I just got a text from someone who is supposedly good friends with EC's girlfriend. That person said its an ACL tear. Out for the year. Again, I don't know how legit that rumor is.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wish I could count myself among the more positive members of the board, but I can't. I hate this for the man who authored my signature, the man who came here to help Dan Hurley's rebuild when he had more competitive programs after him. In my eyes you can't talk about EC the way we have then turn around when he gets hurt and say we're better today then we were last year with him. And in choosing sides I stand with EC the player and man and say this is a devastating loss and that we're worse now then we were last year. Nobody's burning their tickets, nobody is calling for heads to roll, nobody is saying the season should be cancelled, nobody is fast forwarding to baseball season. But if he is truly done for the season it sucks on every level. And if we somehow make the tournament under that scenario, and frankly I don't see it if this is a season ender, it won't be the same not having one of the pillars of the turn around on the floor for it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:So I just got a text from someone who is supposedly good friends with EC's girlfriend. That person said its an ACL tear. Out for the year. Again, I don't know how legit that rumor is.
Heard the same thing this morning from a friend close to the situation. Didn't want to send the board into a potential frenzy without hearing anything concrete but heard it could be multiple tears. Again, not confirmed but doesn't sound good.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is sounding like a worse case scenario from reports. It definitely looked and felt that way at the Ryan Center when he was carried off.

Best of luck to EC. Hang in there! Don't get down. Plenty of good times still ahead in your future. Get well!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I wish I could count myself among the more positive members of the board, but I can't. I hate this for the man who authored my signature, the man who came here to help Dan Hurley's rebuild when he had more competitive programs after him. In my eyes you can't talk about EC the way we have then turn around when he gets hurt and say we're better today then we were last year with him. And in choosing sides I stand with EC the player and man and say this is a devastating loss and that we're worse now then we were last year. Nobody's burning their tickets, nobody is calling for heads to roll, nobody is saying the season should be cancelled, nobody is fast forwarding to baseball season. But if he is truly done for the season it sucks on every level. And if we somehow make the tournament under that scenario, and frankly I don't see it if this is a season ender, it won't be the same not having one of the pillars of the turn around on the floor for it.
I feel terrible for EC because on a personal level he deserved what he was going to get from this season. But from a basketball perspective, this it isn't like you just take EC's production off the table and are stuck with what's left. In baseball if you lose your #1 starter, you just replace him with a guy not as good and the difference between those two players is about how much worse your team will be (that is the WAR or VORP concept). In basketball the game is much more dynamic and you can really change how you're trying to win based on what your personnel is good at. EC was probably this team's most skilled scorer, but he wasn't Jordan on the Bulls where the whole thing is built around and everyone else is a role player with a limited niche. There are too many guys left on the roster who are good at other things to assume that losing EC will cause us to go in the tank.

EC is a great player and I hope all the whispers are wrong and he gets back on the floor this season. But I also believe this year's team with the additions of Four, Iverson and Thompson and more advanced versions of Jared and Jarvis is so much better equipped to deal with this than last year. There are guys who can step up and others to step in behind them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not saying we won't be competitive, but our out of conference schedule and the A10 are supposed to be better then last season. Unfortunately if EC is out the season it feels like another NIT season. I hope the majority of you are more accurate in your prognosis though.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Let's stay positive until we get official word, fellas. According to Hurley, EC didn't know if he heard a pop. Coming from a guy that's torn an ACL before, believe me, you'll know if you hear that pop. You'll never forget it. And my knee was bigger than a softball within an hour. Hurley said there was no swelling. Gotta think positive until we get official word.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

I guess the silver lining is that EC will be back in 2016 and should be completely healthy a full year later. I think we all agree there was a good chance that this year would have been his last year in Kingston so atleast we know we will have him on next year's team.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I wish I could count myself among the more positive members of the board, but I can't. I hate this for the man who authored my signature, the man who came here to help Dan Hurley's rebuild when he had more competitive programs after him. In my eyes you can't talk about EC the way we have then turn around when he gets hurt and say we're better today then we were last year with him. And in choosing sides I stand with EC the player and man and say this is a devastating loss and that we're worse now then we were last year. Nobody's burning their tickets, nobody is calling for heads to roll, nobody is saying the season should be cancelled, nobody is fast forwarding to baseball season. But if he is truly done for the season it sucks on every level. And if we somehow make the tournament under that scenario, and frankly I don't see it if this is a season ender, it won't be the same not having one of the pillars of the turn around on the floor for it.
I feel terrible for EC because on a personal level he deserved what he was going to get from this season. But from a basketball perspective, this it isn't like you just take EC's production off the table and are stuck with what's left. In baseball if you lose your #1 starter, you just replace him with a guy not as good and the difference between those two players is about how much worse your team will be (that is the WAR or VORP concept). In basketball the game is much more dynamic and you can really change how you're trying to win based on what your personnel is good at. EC was probably this team's most skilled scorer, but he wasn't Jordan on the Bulls where the whole thing is built around and everyone else is a role player with a limited niche. There are too many guys left on the roster who are good at other things to assume that losing EC will cause us to go in the tank.

EC is a great player and I hope all the whispers are wrong and he gets back on the floor this season. But I also believe this year's team with the additions of Four, Iverson and Thompson and more advanced versions of Jared and Jarvis is so much better equipped to deal with this than last year. There are guys who can step up and others to step in behind them.
This post is almost exactly reflecting my thoughts.

Having said that it's a fact that this is the most catastrophic loss in the history of the program.

We are losing an elite player here. A left-handed player capable of attacking the basket anytime especially from the left side. EC is also an elite free-throw shooter a huge factor in our ability to close out close games again strong defensive clubs. He rebounds the ball at a high-level and is capable of playing excellent defense.

While acknowledging all the above I repeat what I said at half time last night when almost of us were ready to quit - this remains a strong and very talented team capable of great things IMHO.

The addition of 4 and Iverson and growth of HM, JG and JT give us answers to the puzzle in overcoming this terrible loss.

I continue to look forward to a fine interesting season!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DanInAZ wrote:If EC is out for the year... Rhody may not be as good as they could have been this year... but...

a) They are still a better team than they were last year.
b) The Freshmen will grow up more quickly and it will pay dividends thru the 18/19 season.
c) The team will be forced to share the ball more than they would have otherwise.
d) The team will rally around their friend and teammate.
e) Next year will be even more special than it would have been (EC possibly leaves for NBA; Freshman don't get as much game experience).
f) Many A-10 teams have lost players due to injury, suspensions, etc. past and present seasons. Dayton still had a great season last year. Time to overcome and dictate the season's narrative on Rhody terms; not by using this loss as an excuse to become less than what is desired.

I hope EC plays this year, and no later than the start of the A-10 season, but if he doesn't there will be positive byproducts (a secondary result, unintended but inevitably produced in doing or producing something else).

....and I agree with Rod. Hassan going down would have been more devastating.

EC stay positive, do everything the therapists tell you to do, and we hope to see you smiling again on the court as soon as possible. I tore my ACL. I know the road ahead will not be easy. You are lucky to have such great friends and support to get you back on your feet.

*group hug*
I feel for EC but sports injuries are a fact of life. It remains to be seen how this will affect the team it certainly opens up opportunities for other players we will have to wait and see the results. I think this team still wins 20 regular season games without further injuries. I wish EC well in his recovery and hope that a pro basketball career is in his future.
0 x
rhodyram74
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyram74 »

I agree with NJ03 - when you bust up your ACL you hear a very distinct pop. I feel like I'm an expert on ACLs since I have torn both my right and left one & had reconstructive surgery on both. You feel like your femur slides across and dives down to your tibia. After the injury you can walk on the injured leg but with trepidation. It is the instability of the knee that grossly limits you. Your knee does swell drastically. The strides they have made in orthopedic surgery to this injury is tremendous. I'm an old-timer and the first one done was in '87. Six months before I could put any weight on the leg. Second time around was 2003 in an over 50 softball league. Day 2 after surgery I was at PT. EC is in much better physical condition and should recover quickly if this is the prognosis. It is what it is and a positive attitude, determination, and dedication to PT to get back goes a long way. Most of the time when you tear the ACL you also involve the MCL and LCL. I hope the injury isn't as devastating as I have mentioned. Keeping my fingers crossed.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't see it as our most catastrophic loss ever.
We lost Marc Upshaw on an injury that literally ruined his career.
He was considered an NBA prospect.
We had Cuttino Mobley break his wrist early in his junior season.
Cat's history speaks for itself.
We lost Steve Chubin, one of our all time greats for an off the court
incident for an entire season.
Cat and Chubin came back to have their best season, or seasons in Cat's case.
A little perspective goes a long way.
In those three cases I cited, we did NOT have a replacement or,
replacements for the players lost.
We have a wonderful amount of quality and depth in the back court.
I don't think it's time to just think the season has been
flushed down the toilet.
Injuries are a large part of sports.
Hurley has insured that depth is there to provide for such
losses.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We agree on the larger point Rod that no towel tossing by either you or myself.....

This kid however had a chance to prove he was a mid 1st round pick capable of a long (8-10 year) productive NBA career. Millions and millions of dollars on the line here. Mobley was a 2nd round pic. This team including EC was perhaps the most talented we have assembled in many years.

(Forgot about Chubin injury refresh me on the details, my favorite player as a tike )

My rose coloured glasses see Iverson as an elite player who will be impossible to cover and 4 as a deep threat we have not had since Baron. We also appear to have a coach that will refocus his offense to utilize these new, potent weapons.

We'll start finding out quickly....10AM Tuesday!
Last edited by hrstrat57 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

My favorite at 3:33. Get well EC

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFxMYZbquk
Last edited by theblueram 8 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Just coming off a full tear injury myself and having surgery this week, I found something interesting in what Coach Hurley said. He said that EC wasn't sure if he heard a "pop". I ruptured my bicep tendon last week and I tore my ACL a few years back and there is NO QUESTION you hear that POP. It goes through your whole body. I've also strained my knee and I went down just like EC did and was in as much pain, but did not hear the POP and the swelling is nothing like a tear. I'm just speaking from experience, it may not be the worst case scenario. I'm hoping that's the case.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rhodyram74 wrote:I agree with NJ03 - when you bust up your ACL you hear a very distinct pop. I feel like I'm an expert on ACLs since I have torn both my right and left one & had reconstructive surgery on both. You feel like your femur slides across and dives down to your tibia. After the injury you can walk on the injured leg but with trepidation. It is the instability of the knee that grossly limits you. Your knee does swell drastically. The strides they have made in orthopedic surgery to this injury is tremendous. I'm an old-timer and the first one done was in '87. Six months before I could put any weight on the leg. Second time around was 2003 in an over 50 softball league. Day 2 after surgery I was at PT. EC is in much better physical condition and should recover quickly if this is the prognosis. It is what it is and a positive attitude, determination, and dedication to PT to get back goes a long way. Most of the time when you tear the ACL you also involve the MCL and LCL. I hope the injury isn't as devastating as I have mentioned. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Good post. My knees are sore just reading it.
If nothing else, you just convinced me to drop out of my "over 80" mixed martial arts league. lol

I also agree with Rod about past injuries.All were devastating. IMO, Marc Upshaw's loss was worse.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

These personal anecdotes about knee injuries are all well and good, but it doesn't take much reading between the lines of social media posts to see what happened here. If Hassan said it was an ACL, I am going to take that over comparing it to how someone else felt when they hurt their knee.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As far as hearing a pop, I would think that would be rather difficult in a loud (at the time) arena of 5 or 6 thousand people.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, EC is the man. But good thing we have a sophomore who was a 4 * and top 75 recruit healthy on the team. Add a lethal 3 pt shooter to that with NCAAT experience. Oh, and a talented guy who I can't position since he can do it all in a former top 50 4* recruit. All things run through Jarvis. Depth.
0 x