If EC is out for the year... and he is

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: If EC is out for the year... and he is

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Let's wait and see what the tests show,
before we become overwrought.
Any chance we could get Oneykaba back,
just to have a body?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:RR2, if he has torn ligaments, and he had continued to play, he would do more damage to the ankle, and risk possible PERMANENT damage.

Again, I did that like an idiot, and paid for it, and I'm still paying for it. At some point, I could lose my lower leg due to the poor circulation caused by the damage to the ankle. If I had stopped playing and gotten treatment sooner, I wouldn't have had that problem.

Not worth it one bit. His future quality of life could be affected, not to mention his BB career.
I agree, I was sarcastically making fun of the doctor in last night's thread that said he should have kept playing.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

In case you were wondering (and I know you were)...

Jarelle Reischel averaging about 20 points, 8 rebs, and 3.7 assists for Eastern Kentucky. He definitely had some game in him but unfortunately this coaching staff could not bring it out. (That falls on the coaches, not on the player. Coaches have to put players in the best position to be successful.)

As a noted Projo writer might say, "How come we can't get guys like that?"
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Let's wait and see what the tests show,
before we become overwrought.
Any chance we could get Oneykaba back,
just to have a body?
I can't imagine why not.... Still eligible and on scholly - makes perfect sense.

Gonna need more walk on's too it appears. Time for open tryouts....tho lack of completed NCAA clearinghouse paperwork is always a problem.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:In case you were wondering (and I know you were)...

Jarelle Reischel averaging about 20 points, 8 rebs, and 3.7 assists for Eastern Kentucky. He definitely had some game in him but unfortunately this coaching staff could not bring it out. (That falls on the coaches, not on the player. Coaches have to put players in the best position to be successful.)

It's the competition, not taking anything away from the kid I'm happy for him, but he would look petrified out there sometimes last season.
0 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Yeah please tell me we're not going to delve into "What if JR were here" territory. Happy for him doing well at EKU. I thought he had potential to be a useful piece at URI, but he never showed it here. PMMM, what exactly would have been the best position for Jarelle to be successful that the coaches should have put him in? More playing time? Taken away from whom, exactly?
0 x
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

Reischel was terrible last year. Did you watch any games last year? He couldn't hold onto the ball, missed a ton of bunnies and got torched playing defense........... but other than that he was terrific !! I don't like to knock the kid but all these JR posts are maddening.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Reischel stayed in Kingston, I don't think he would be playing at the level he is at EKU. He would likely have played similar to what we had seen in the previous two seasons. That is however not to say we could not have used him this year. With the defections, injuries, and Robinson sitting out, we need bodies. Dan Hurley may be regretting the fact that he pushed Reischel out given what has transpired.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Did Hurley push him out, or did JR say he wanted to play 25 minutes per game in his last year, and Hurley told him it probably wasn't happening at URI? Which, given the roster makeup AT THE TIME, would have been correct. We certainly need bodies now. JR could have been one of those bodies. Doesn't mean it was a bad decision to let him go.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote:If Reischel stayed in Kingston, I don't think he would be playing at the level he is at EKU. He would likely have played similar to what we had seen in the previous two seasons. That is however not to say we could not have used him this year. With the defections, injuries, and Robinson sitting out, we need bodies. Dan Hurley may be regretting the fact that he pushed Reischel out given what has transpired.
Eh, it seems like his scholly went to Robinson or Dowtin, and I'm fine with them rolling the dice on either one of them over going with Reischel another year.

Some players provide maximum value in different roles. Like, Reischel is probably at his best when he knows he's going to get 30 minutes, and he doesn't have to worry about mistakes, because he knows he's going to play, and as a result, he doesn't make as many mistakes. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that you *want* to put them in this position. If Reischel was playing 30 minutes a game in a tougher conference, I doubt he's shooting 50 percent and averaging 20 a game. (And as an aside, he's still average four turnovers a game.) It also looks like his stats are inflated by pace, so like Munford's NBADL stats, you have to deflate them a bit.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:In case you were wondering (and I know you were)...

This is the biggest load of BS I've ever seen. Yeah he is tearing up the Coppin States and Longwoods of the world on a team that runs and guns and plays no defense. Just what we need!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Reischel hat trick:
Steal the ball.
Lose the ball.
Miss open layup/free throw.
Come on! Did anyone watch him for two years?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I'm not saying one thing or another. Clearly the kid has some talent...it was not brought out of him. I would guess he had no confidence while here at URI.

Bill Belichick is the best at getting the most out of guys. How many guys failed in NE and then succeeded elsewhere? Not a lot that I can think of.

It's the opposite with Belichick. He takes guys from other teams that nobody wanted and turns them into major contributors in NE. (Ninkovich, Vrabel, Danny Woodhead etc.)

I would hope URI's coaching staff can do that.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Add to my Christmas Wish List that people would stop using Belichick (extreme outlier in terms of his tremendous coaching ability to say nothing of being an extreme asshole) as an example for what our coaches should do.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Danny Woodhead has been pretty solid for SD...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

sf2010 wrote:Did Hurley push him out, or did JR say he wanted to play 25 minutes per game in his last year, and Hurley told him it probably wasn't happening at URI? Which, given the roster makeup AT THE TIME, would have been correct. We certainly need bodies now. JR could have been one of those bodies. Doesn't mean it was a bad decision to let him go.

The decision was made by Hurley. He thanked Jarrelle for his time and wished him well elsewhere. He made it clear there was no scholarship for him at URI this season.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I assume you have sources that I am not privy to, you could very well be right. My point was that sure, if we could have JR on the team right now I would take it given all that has transpired. I don't think it was the wrong decision to let him go.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I never thought of JR as much of player. I doubt he'd be significant here. I'm sure he's much happier now. Maybe he likes the staff, school environment better. It happens. And yeah, tossing out Belichick's name make sense only in comparing NFL coaches.
And really, you can only compare coaches on the free agency era there.
Bill Walsh and Chuck Nollmever had to deal with a salary cap.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

sf2010 wrote:Add to my Christmas Wish List that people would stop using Belichick (extreme outlier in terms of his tremendous coaching ability to say nothing of being an extreme asshole) as an example for what our coaches should do.
Sorry, your Christmas wish list is not coming true this year. Couldn't care less if Belichick makes the job of the media tough and provides no sound bytes. Media thinks he's jerk? Big deal. He doesn't get paid to be nice to the media.

I see nothing wrong with using the NFL's top coach as an example for other coaches (regardless of sports) as to how to coach, motivate, improve, etc. players.

Personally, I think the Bruins blew it by giving up on a young Tyler Seguin. He's flourished in Dallas while Louis Erickson is an average to sometimes above-average player.

But I digress.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: Sorry, your Christmas wish list is not coming true this year. Couldn't care less if Belichick makes the job of the media tough and provides no sound bytes. Media thinks he's jerk? Big deal. He doesn't get paid to be nice to the media.

I see nothing wrong with using the NFL's top coach as an example for other coaches (regardless of sports) as to how to coach, motivate, improve, etc. players.

Personally, I think the Bruins blew it by giving up on a young Tyler Seguin. He's flourished in Dallas while Louis Erickson is an average to sometimes above-average player.

But I digress.
You are aware that there is a difference between college and pro sports right? So a guy in the NFL not being good on one team and being better on another team where they play against the same teams is not the same as a college kid dropping down to a much lower competitive level and playing better. Check out JR's stats in the only game against a good team, they aren't good.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

1) You're basing your evaluation on JR on how he played against 1-team. (He was in foul trouble.)

2) So I guess if you put up big numbers against lower college competition, then you just throw it out. No way he could do that against other competition, right? Got it. I'll tell that to Steph Curry so he knows his numbers at Davidson against the Southern Conference meant nothing. Jeremy Lin couldn't have played a higher level of college hoops? And Felder at Oakland University, the 2nd leading scorer in the country right now, he scored 37 vs. Michigan State. But his numbers are inflated too because of who he plays for, against, and the style of basketball.

Dan can recognize talent, agree on that? Is he coaching up that talent? Has he recruited any "projects" and developed them? (Michael Anderson, Tom Garrick) We'll find out...
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that JR is not the same caliber of player as Steph Curry, Jeremy Lin, or Felder.

Regarding your last point, that is my major question of Hurley so far, how good is he at developing talent? I think Hassan was a bit of a project. When he arrived he looked not at all prepared to play D1 basketball. That changed quickly. On the flip side, Jared and Jarvis seem to have not improved at all (except for Jarvis being a floor general, I think he has done a fine job in that aspect of his game this year). Now we all know that improvement isn't always cleanly linear, but that has been a big disappointment.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sometimes it IS the player. Hell JT was a 4 star recruit. How much coaching should he need? Dan is pulling in the recruits, based on their hs rankings. But sometimes, you can't teach a jellyfish to moonwalk.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:1) You're basing your evaluation on JR on how he played against 1-team. (He was in foul trouble.)

2) So I guess if you put up big numbers against lower college competition, then you just throw it out. No way he could do that against other competition, right? Got it. I'll tell that to Steph Curry so he knows his numbers at Davidson against the Southern Conference meant nothing. Jeremy Lin couldn't have played a higher level of college hoops? And Felder at Oakland University, the 2nd leading scorer in the country right now, he scored 37 vs. Michigan State. But his numbers are inflated too because of who he plays for, against, and the style of basketball.

Dan can recognize talent, agree on that? Is he coaching up that talent? Has he recruited any "projects" and developed them? (Michael Anderson, Tom Garrick) We'll find out...
You keep making your argument more ridiculous. You don't need to use other players to try and compare what JR could have done. We saw for ourselves what JR could do in the A10!! So why use other players as examples, when the exact player himself is a perfect example?

By the way, that game where he was in foul trouble, he played 29 minutes. He averages 30 minutes per game. He also happens to be in foul trouble in a lot of games anyway, because he is not a good defender.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Message boards can be frustrating...because people don't understand points. You just look at names.

Did I say that Reischel is as good as Curry, Jeremy Lin, Felder? No. My point and analogy is that just because somebody puts up numbers against so called "inferior" competition, you shouldn't dismiss those numbers. That's my point.

My other point...so far at URI, Terrell has not lived up to the billing. Reischel did not live up to the billing. Agree, some of that is on the player. Some of that is on the coaches, especially if we see a pattern of players not fulfilling their potential or promise. But if a kid goes somewhere else (in Division One) and puts up big time numbers, then you can't dismiss that.

If there are good players in the program, then make them great.
If there are project players in the program, then make them good.

Is the URI coaching staff doing this to your satisfaction? That's a question that needs to be asked. If there are players in the program who struggle to contribute at URI but become legit players elsewhere, you have to ask why.

Thank you for allowing me to make a point.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:1) You're basing your evaluation on JR on how he played against 1-team. (He was in foul trouble.)

You keep making your argument more ridiculous. You don't need to use other players to try and compare what JR could have done. We saw for ourselves what JR could do in the A10!! So why use other players as examples, when the exact player himself is a perfect example?

By the way, that game where he was in foul trouble, he played 29 minutes. He averages 30 minutes per game. He also happens to be in foul trouble in a lot of games anyway, because he is not a good defender.
Where your argument is flawed is the fact that the players you mentioned (Curry, Lin and Felder) put up big numbers against lower talent AND major talent. Has JR? Just look at our own Four McGlynn, he dropped 27 on Rider but against good teams very little production. So no, you can't always throw out what a player does against lower level talent, but you certainly can't assume it will translate.

And I'm just curious how exactly has JT underperformed? He was on the All-Rookie team, is currently averaging 11.5 points, 4 reb, 2 asst, and 1 stl per game. The fact is when he came in he was labeled as a decent shooter but someone who basically bullied defenders to the rim. It's not often guys that are decent shooters in high school turn into great shooters in college. If he has underperformed then IMO you expected way too much from him to begin with. For comparison, you have to go all the way to Daniel Hamilton to find a SG from Jared's class that is doing considerably better than Jared to this point in his career, and Hamilton was ranked 49 spots higher than JT on ESPN at 30th in their class.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dre3000 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Where your argument is flawed is the fact that the players you mentioned (Curry, Lin and Felder) put up big numbers against lower talent AND major talent. Has JR? Just look at our own Four McGlynn, he dropped 27 on Rider but against good teams very little production. So no, you can't always throw out what a player does against lower level talent, but you certainly can't assume it will translate.

And I'm just curious how exactly has JT underperformed? He was on the All-Rookie team, is currently averaging 11.5 points, 4 reb, 2 asst, and 1 stl per game. The fact is when he came in he was labeled as a decent shooter but someone who basically bullied defenders to the rim. It's not often guys that are decent shooters in high school turn into great shooters in college. If he has underperformed then IMO you expected way too much from him to begin with. For comparison, you have to go all the way to Daniel Hamilton to find a SG from Jared's class that is doing considerably better than Jared to this point in his career, and Hamilton was ranked 49 spots higher than JT on ESPN at 30th in their class.
Stop talking about Jeremy Lin and Steph Curry in the same internet, please....

Am a big fan of JT, but...is it crazy to suggest that he might be too muscled up to be able to consistently stick a mid-range jumper?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Unlike in football where a player can be custom fit into a needed offense/defense/special role, in basketball the player has to participate in both offense and defense.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

baby steps
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One question...I still have not seen anything official regarding a medical redshirt. Are we sure it was requested and received?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:One question...I still have not seen anything official regarding a medical redshirt. Are we sure it was requested and received?
I believe it won't be requested until the end of his fourth year (so spring 2017), but it will be granted as a matter of course. Nothing to worry about.

ETA: he doesn't even need a medical redshirt at this point. You have five years to play four. You can get a sixth through the grant of a medical redshirt. So far EC has played two season in three years. Provided he plays next year healthy, the following season will be his redshirt senior season.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Question TP, How come Dawaan Robinson was not granted a sxth year? Was it because he
was a prop 48 ? Do you know?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not sure off the top of my head but will look into it and see if I can come up with an answer.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

D Rob with 1 more year? St Joes refs stopped that. League couldn't handle another.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This makes me happy.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

luke wrote:Question TP, How come Dawaan Robinson was not granted a sxth year? Was it because he
was a prop 48 ? Do you know?
URI issued a press release at the time, but it was mostly just about how disappointed they were that he didn't get it: http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 06aac.html - According to Bos8 on another board, yeah, it seems related to the Prop 48 thing, that because he had to sit his freshman year to become eligible they weren't willing to grant a medical redshirt year to (essentially) let him play four seasons in six years. - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ost1086846
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote:
This makes me happy.
Yes, yes it does.....looks like pretty good FT set up and stroke to me.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice words from Chris- (trying to look at this picture enough to get the one of EC down on the court with Dan looking down at him out of my brain)

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

baby steps-

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

.... We can REBUILD HIM!!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

He'll be better than ever.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:.... We can REBUILD HIM!!

I just hope it doesn't cost 6 million dollars.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awesome. His progress has been A++ so far.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

ECR- the video in that tweet is great to see. What a day, Hurley back for sure and our guy back on the court shooting jumpers.

https://twitter.com/D_Marshall85/status ... 3729287168
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Stroke looks good!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

MC Rammer.. thanks for posting the vid..

my skillz are lacking

(don't send me a you tube click on lining a video ala my FT you tube clip.. LOL)

GIDDY !

Go Rhody !
0 x