Game 2: Valparaiso (Tuesday, Nov 17 10am)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 2: Valparaiso (Tuesday, Nov 17 10am)

Unread post by ramster »

Native's Preview:

On Tuesday, 17-November-2015 at 10:00am Eastern Time in the Ryan Center, the University of Rhode Island men's basketball team will host Valparaiso University.

The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2, as part of the ESPN 24-hour Tip-Off Marathon. For fans of each of the two teams, this is a "don't miss it" game, an opportunity early in the season to see just how good their own team is.

Valparaiso University, commonly known as Valpo, is a regionally accredited private university located in Valparaiso, Indiana. The university is a coed, four-year, private institution that enrolls about 4,500 students from over 50 countries on a campus of 350 acres

Valpo's colors are brown and gold; the school's mascot is the Crusader. Valparaiso's nearly 600 student athletes participate in NCAA Division I sports as members of the Horizon League.

Valpo basketball is perhaps best known for its former men's basketball head coach Homer Drew and his student athlete son Bryce Drew, who led the team to its Sweet Sixteen appearance in the 1998 NCAA basketball tournament by making "The Shot", a three-pointer as time expired, to beat favored Ole Miss by one point.

The current head coach is Bryce Drew, the former student athlete who hit "The Shot" to become the most heralded player in Crusader men’s basketball history, and who went on to play six seasons in the NBA, as a backup point guard for the Houston Rockets, Chicago Bulls and Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets. In the spring of 2011, Bryce Drew, after having spent six seasons at Valpo as an assistant, was named head coach at Valparaiso University, taking over the reins long held by his father Homer Drew.

Now entering his fifth season at the helm of the Valpo program and having twice received the Horizon League Coach of the Year award, Bryce Drew will find himself facing on Tuesday an old nemesis, the University of Rhode Island, the team to which Valpo lost in its 1998 Sweet Sixteen appearance seventeen years ago.

Last season, Valpo went 28-6 overall, finishing first in the Horizon League with a 13-3 conference record, and winning the league tournament. The 2014-15 season for Valpo came to an abrupt end in the NCAA Tournament Round of 64, with Valpo's heartbreaking 65-62 loss to Maryland in a game that went down to the last second.

Looking at this year's lineup, Valpo has lost just one player from last season’s Horizon League champions. To say it differently, the Crusader team that won 28 games last season returns nearly 99% of its scoring and rebounding for the 2015-16 campaign.

Returning basically all the players from the squad that racked up a program-best 28 victories last season, the Crusaders understandably have once again been selected overwhelmingly as the Horizon League preseason favorites. Nationally, Valpo has been gaining plenty of recognition as well, including earning five points in the Associated Press preseason top-25 poll. Both Ken Pomeroy and CBS Sports had Valpo among the top-45 teams in the nation entering the season, and Valop was tabbed as the #1 team in CBS Sports’ Cinderella Watch and also earned the top spot on NBC Sports’ list of top mid-majors.

Valparaiso officially opened its 2015-16 season on Friday night with a home court victory, 78-64, over Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne (IPFW) of the Summit League. However, the Crusaders have still another game before they enter the Ryan Center on Tuesday morning to face Rhody: the Crusaders will be playing MAAC favorite Iona on Sunday afternoon (I will update this on-line preview once the Valpo-Iona game has completed).

Taking a wider look, Valpo has a number of games scheduled for the second half of the month of November. To open the 2015-16 season, Valpo will play five games in the first seven days and seven in the first 12 days:

Code: Select all

Tue 11/03     (D-2) Indianapolis     W   75-67 	(exhibition game) 
Fri 11/13     IPFW  
Sun 11/15     Iona                              2:30pmEastern - 1:30pmCentral
Tue 11/17     at Rhode Island       ESPN2      10:00amEastern - 9:00amCentral
Wed 11/18     (NAIA) IU Kokomo
Thu 11/19     (NAIA) Trinity Christian
Sun 11/22     at Oregon
Tue 11/24     at Oregon State
Sat 11/28     at Ball State
[/b]

The Valpo roster (with the probable starters shown in bold) is as follows:
  • Lexus Williams (6-0 160) Redshirt sophomore guard from Chicago. A Horizon League All-Newcomer Team choice in 2013-14, Willliams sat out last season with a torn ACL. It is unclear as to whether Williams has recovered fully from the knee injury.
  • Keith Carter (6-1 180) Senior guard from Maywood, Illinois. Transferred to Valpo from Saint Louis just before the start of the spring semester in his freshman year. Now the starting point guard for Valpo. Last season as a junior he appeared in 24 games (starting on 17 occasions), and averaged 8.4 points, 3.5 rebounds and a team-high 3.7 assists per game; he also had 30 steals last year, second best on the team. This year, in the opening game against UIFW, he started, played 30 minutes, and had 10 points.
  • Max Joseph (6-1 210) Sophomore guard from Montreal; attended CEGEP at Vanier College. Last year as a freshman, he appeared in 28 games in his first season as a Crusader. More of a defender than an offensive threat, he played 11 minutes in the game Friday night, totaling 2 defensive rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and zero points..
  • Tevonn Walker (6-2 200) Sophomore guard from Montreal; attended CEGEP at Vanier College. Last year, in his first season as a Crusader he was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team, having appeared in all 34 games in his freshman season at Valpo, making 33 starts, and averaging 10.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per game; he was ranked third on the team in scoring and led the Crusaders with 37 steals.
  • Darien Walker (6-3 220) Senior guard from Chicago. In his freshman year, played for Arizona Western College, a community college in Yuma, Arizona; in his sophomore year, he played for John A. Logan College, a community college in Carterville, Illinois. Last season, in his junior year, his first with Valpo, he appeared in all 34 games, starting on 29 occasion, ending the 2014-15 season ranked second on the team in scoring (10.7 ppg) and third in rebounding (4.6 rpg).
  • Nick Davidson (6-4 195) Junior guard from Munster, Indiana. Little used; not part of the rotation. Practice player whose primary role seems to be encouraging his teammates. Does get occasional minutes, but rarely. Majoring in Nursing.
  • Shane Hammink (6-7 210) Redshirt junior guard from the Netherlands. Hammink is an LSU transfer who is eligible to play this season after sitting out last year. Hammink has played for the Netherlands senior national team and scored in double figures in all five of Valpo’s games in Canada this summer, During the exhibition game against Indianapolis back at the beginning of November, he landed awkwardly on the foot of an Indianapolis player; Hammink was seen limping on his way out of the arena, but he appears to have recovered well: he had 10 points in 16 minutes against UIFW on Friday night.
  • Chandler Levingston-Simon (6-7 230) Redshirt sophomore forward from Vernon Hills, Illinois. Walk-on who transferred to Valpo from UMKC, where he was also a walk-on. Sat out 2014-15 season due to NCAA transfer regulations. Has seen no action so far this season. Majoring in mechanical engineering. Son of Cliff Levingston, who played 11 seasons in the NBA and who won a pair of NBA championships in the early 1990's with the Chicago Bulls.
  • Jubril Adekoya (6-7 230) Junior forward from Tinley Park, Illinois. A member of the rotation in both his freshman and sophomore year. Last season as a sophomore, he averaged 4.7 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, and received the Horizon League's "Sixth Man of the Year" award.
  • E. Victor Nickerson (6-8 185) Redshirt senior swingman from Atlanta, Georgia. Nickerson started his college basketball career as a post-player at Charlotte, but then transferred to Valpo, sat out the 2013-14 season, and became a perimeter-oriented player for the Crusaders. The guy is 6-8 and Coach Bryce Drew really does play him as a guard. Last season, when point guard Keith Carter went down with an injury at the start of Horizon League play, Nickerson started at point for 17 games. During the off-season, Nickerson had surgery on his left wrist in June, and did not play in the games in Canada due to issues with his right wrist. Nicherson did not play in the exhibition game, and did not play in the opener against UIFW. Coach Bryce Drew said after the exhibition game that there was not yet a timetable for Nickerson to return to the Valpo lineup; it is unlikely that Nickerson will be recovered by Tuesday.
  • David Skara (6-8 205) Sophomore forward from Croatia. Initially came to USA to play a prep season for Don Bosco Prep in Indiana. Last year as a Valpo freshman in the 2014-15 season, Skara appeared in all 34 games for the Crusaders, making the majority of his appearances off the bench. A good player who got better during the course of his freshman year, he was rewarded with Horizon League All-Tournament honors. On Friday night against IPFW, Skara came off the bench to play 27 minutes and score 10 points and pull down 7 rebounds.
  • Alec Peters (6-9 230) Junior forward from Washington, Illinois. Peters averaged 16.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game as a sophomore last year. An offensive force, Peters has the ability to hit jumpers from anywhere on the floor; last season he averaged 48% FG, 82% FT, and 46% 3PT in route to becoming the first player in Valpo history to score 1,000 points by the end of his sophomore season. Last year, Peters was First Team All-Horizon-League; this season he is the likely choice for Horizon League POY honors. This year against IPFW, Peters had 24 points and 7 rebounds to lead the Crusaders. Without diminishing the impact on the final outcome that Hassan Martin will likely have when URI meets Valpo on Tuesday morning, the matchup between Alec Peters (6-9 230) and Kuran Iverson (6-9 215) will likely be the game within the game.
  • Vashil Fernandez (6-10 260) Redshirt senior center from Kingston, Jamaica. Over the summer. Fernandez was granted a fourth season of athletic eligibility by the NCAA after originally being penalized one year when he first enrolled at Valparaiso. Fernandez is a game-changing defender, and is also a credible offensive player with a sweeping hook shot. A preseason Second Team All-League choice this year, Fernandez was named the Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year in 2014-15, having last year set the Valpo single-season record for blocked shots (98), averaging 2.9 blocked shots per game (good for 11th in the nation), while ranking sixth among all Division I players in block percentage. In the season opener against IPFW, he was in foul trouble both halves, and finished with 4 fouls, 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 turnovers in 19 minutes played. By the way, he is married, and has a daughter; he graduated in May of 2014 with a bachelor's degree in international business, and is currently pursuing a master's degree in international commerce & policy.
  • Derrik Smits (7-1 235) Freshman center from Zionsville, Indiana. Although he is the lone freshman on the Valpo team, he is the backup center, and was expected to get at least some minutes most games this year. His teammates have been quoted as saying that during the Canada trip Smits hit shots and played good defense. Unfortunately, he sprained his ankle in practice last week; on Friday at the opener against UIFW, he was limping around, wearing a walking boot. According to Coach Bryce Drew, Smits is still being evaluated in regards to his ankle, and definitely won't be dressing for Sunday's game against Iona. And, yes, in case you were wondering, he is the son of former Indiana Pacers center Rik Smits.
Valparaiso represents a significant challenge for Rhody, ranking as Valpo does among the top three of the non-conference foes that URI will face this season (Maryland and Providence being the other two).

Valpo this season has a team with a talent level that is as high as it has been in years for Valparaiso men's basketball.

Like Rhody, Valpo is a strong defensive team. Last season. the Crusader defense ranked 6th nationally in field goal percentage defense and 17th in scoring defense.

Valpo’s offensive system is complex, with a lot of sets and a lot of plays. The team chemistry is good, both due to the length of time that the returning players have been in the system and due to the 5 game Canadian road trip that the Crusaders took this summer to Montreal and Ottawa.

In short, Valpo is deep and dangerous. In addition to all those returning weapons at his disposal, Valpo head coach Bryce Drew also has the opportunity to slot new faces into positions on the court for the Crusaders.

Look -- Valpo is a well-coached, NCAA-bound, talent-laden team. The Crusaders will be looking to steal a victory from a Rhody team still reeling from the loss of E.C. Matthews. Miss class or miss work, but don't miss this game.

GO RHODY
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 2: Valparaiso (Tuesday, Nov 17 10am)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Still no word on classes being postponed or cancelled? Are they seriously going to have commuters and fans battle it out for parking spots? It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote:Students have been excused from classes by Dooley between 10-12, noted from Koch on the podcast.
Going to have to skip early classes to get in line.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bloody Mary's by the pitcher in the Ryan Center Pub??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anyone have any idea on what attendance is looking like at this point?

How will traffic and parking be? I usually come in back roads and park at the North lot. I understand that this is a commuter lot by day. Will there be spaces?

Are people planning to do breakfast tailgating?
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

I'm a grad student and I haven't heard anything about being excused from classes yet ... but then again, I have classes mostly in the evening.

I can say that I got an email last week saying that a part of the Plains Road parking lot will be sectioned off starting the morning of the game starting at 7:30, but I assume that's just the normal Ram Fund parking section. It has the potential to be a parking mess that day.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Sorry for the confusion guys -- that remark was made in jest. Classes have not been officially cancelled for the Valparaiso game.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Bill Koch wrote:Sorry for the confusion guys -- that remark was made in jest. Classes have not been officially cancelled for the Valparaiso game.
Tsk….tsk…..tsk. Imagine if Diving Rod did that for PC Hockey…..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote:Sorry for the confusion guys -- that remark was made in jest. Classes have not been officially cancelled for the Valparaiso game.
Well, the students have their excuse. They heard Bill Koch say it!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We need the support.... This is going to be a very tough game. I strongly feel classes should be rescheduled.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm in for breakfast tailgate as well!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm in for a tailgate as well. Let me know where I should park!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In that case I stand by my original comment. It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

i will definitely be sick from work tuesday
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I'm flying in from Texas to be at this game. Let me know where the Bloody Mary's will be served, earlier the better.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I'm in for the breakfast tailgate as well. I'll bring some danish and some liquor for Irish Coffees. Let me know where you are all thinking of parking.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I called off work two months ago to watch this. Love wakin up to some Keaney blue in the mornin!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Mongo wrote:I'm flying in from Texas to be at this game. Let me know where the Bloody Mary's will be served, earlier the better.
That is awesome! I hope that you have a great visit!!!!!!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Driving down from CT for this one, this game might just set the tone for the year. Amazing how crucial such an earlier game can be. Will the Rhody bar be open an hour before the game like it usually is for this one?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What's the talk on campus from the students about this game? Do we have any students here? First 2000 get free stuff from Dunkin' Donuts. We need 3000-3500 students at this game.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We need a swarm of students and every single one of our season ticket holders / diehards to show for this one...might be the biggest game of the year. Almost definitely Valpo is a potential Top 50 win over an ncaa team, its in our house, its the 2nd game of the year which can have a ripple effect on attendance for the rest of season, its on ESPN and will be in the highlight package for 24 hours, and so on and so on....
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I took off work two months ago to watch this. Love wakin up to some Keaney blue in the mornin!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm ready...I've recruited a crew of alumni to take the day off and come to the Ryan Center!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Good work right there ^^ need more of that
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Billyboy78 wrote:What's the talk on campus from the students about this game? Do we have any students here? First 2000 get free stuff from Dunkin' Donuts. We need 3000-3500 students at this game.
The talk is still weak right now. The marketing department should be pushing this game like there is no tomorrow, but still haven't seen a single flyer or anything else. This is possibly because they're waiting until after Friday's game, but still disappointing. I am skipping Federal Tax class to be there - I'll be pissed if I don't hear of freshmen skipping their intro to fucking communications class.

Until Tuesday I'll be loudmouthing around campus about the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

HASwatTeam wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:What's the talk on campus from the students about this game? Do we have any students here? First 2000 get free stuff from Dunkin' Donuts. We need 3000-3500 students at this game.
The talk is still weak right now. The marketing department should be pushing this game like there is no tomorrow, but still haven't seen a single flyer or anything else. This is possibly because they're waiting until after Friday's game, but still disappointing. I am skipping Federal Tax class to be there - I'll be pissed if I don't hear of freshmen skipping their intro to fucking communications class.

Until Tuesday I'll be loudmouthing around campus about the game.
That's disappointing. I was hoping the campus would be pumped and buzzing about this game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:Anyone have any idea on what attendance is looking like at this point?

How will traffic and parking be? I usually come in back roads and park at the North lot. I understand that this is a commuter lot by day. Will there be spaces?

Are people planning to do breakfast tailgating?
I'm going to set up in the Ellery pond lot.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm in for breakfast tailgating. What time you starting? What can I bring?

Also, does anyone have an extra ticket they need to get rid of? I was going to buy a solo on line, but if someone has an extra I can just buy theirs and we both win.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Will the Alumni Room be open?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steviep123 wrote:I'm in for breakfast tailgating. What time you starting? What can I bring?

Also, does anyone have an extra ticket they need to get rid of? I was going to buy a solo on line, but if someone has an extra I can just buy theirs and we both win.
I'm thinking 8am at the latest. I'm gonna grab a griddle for my tailgate grill and just crush the bacon egg and cheese game.
Last edited by Blue Man 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote:I'm in for breakfast tailgating. What time you starting? What can I bring?

There is a Chance I have an extra one, section 206, but I won't know if I have it until Monday most likely.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Maybe I'll be "sick" for the game.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

we really need the marketing department to push this game big time...
understandable if they wait until after friday..
i see plenty of seats available..
let's make this happen..
this could be a huge "quality win" for us at the end of the day.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:

There is a Chance I have an extra one, section 206, but I won't know if I have it until Monday most likely.
Thanks R15, keep me posted and I'll pm you if I get one in the meantime.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My guess is students will be there. They always turn out when it's an "event" and 10 a.m. on national TV qualifies, and they have permission from the president to skip class.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:My guess is students will be there. They always turn out when it's an "event" and 10 a.m. on national TV qualifies, and they have permission from the president to skip class.
They have permission from the president to skip class?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:My guess is students will be there. They always turn out when it's an "event" and 10 a.m. on national TV qualifies, and they have permission from the president to skip class.
They have permission from the president to skip class?

That hasn't been confirmed anywhere. Koch came on here and wrote that his comment on the podcast was said "in jest" and students have not been excused from class as of now.
0 x
Go Rhody
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

ElmCityRhody wrote:we really need the marketing department to push this game big time...
Bingo. There will be a campus-wide push this weekend.

You guys also gotta consider the attention span of students & the grasp of social media. A full-court press across Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat + putting flyers around campus just a few days before a game can be much more effective than weeks and weeks of promotion these days.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:we really need the marketing department to push this game big time...
Bingo. There will be a campus-wide push this weekend.

You guys also gotta consider the attention span of students & the grasp of social media. A full-court press across Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat + putting flyers around campus just a few days before a game can be much more effective than weeks and weeks of promotion these days.
I would think this might be a sensitive subject. If I were a student, there's no doubt I would 100% be skipping class for this. But how does the university feel about encouraging kids to skip class for this event by promoting the hell out of it? And just for the record, I'm on the students' side on this. I hope they fill the RC.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't see a conflict with strong promotion in the few days before. Nowhere will there be any language to say that you should skip class. It's not like everyone has classes that would be affected by attending the game. Of course, if students would like to opt out of class that day to watch the game nobody's going to stop them at least for us hoops fans.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

My son is going to the game with his school. They are going as a middle school field trip. Not a bad field trip if you ask me. I gladly signed that permission slip last night. Apparently a few of his teachers are URI alum and thought it would be great for the kids. Might be more grade school kids there than college students. He and his friends are big fans of the basketball, football and baseball teams so they'll be wearing their Rhody gear and cheering them on. Unfortunately I have to work or I'd be there too.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Anyone in the mood to get started early, looks like we'll have a decent tailgate going by 8am where the 5th quarter club usually sets up. We can do it potluck but im gonna grill a hell of a lot of bacon egg and cheeses.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

See ya there, BlueMan.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:My son is going to the game with his school. They are going as a middle school field trip. Not a bad field trip if you ask me. I gladly signed that permission slip last night. Apparently a few of his teachers are URI alum and thought it would be great for the kids. Might be more grade school kids there than college students. He and his friends are big fans of the basketball, football and baseball teams so they'll be wearing their Rhody gear and cheering them on. Unfortunately I have to work or I'd be there too.
Awesome. Tell them to make lots of noise!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rumor has it that a booth is open in the union promoting the game, advertising things such as the first 2,000 students will receive Dunkin gift certificates.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:Anyone in the mood to get started early, looks like we'll have a decent tailgate going by 8am where the 5th quarter club usually sets up. We can do it potluck but im gonna grill a hell of a lot of bacon egg and cheeses.
Can't wait!!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Billyboy78 wrote:I would think this might be a sensitive subject. If I were a student, there's no doubt I would 100% be skipping class for this. But how does the university feel about encouraging kids to skip class for this event by promoting the hell out of it? And just for the record, I'm on the students' side on this. I hope they fill the RC.
I don't think promoting the game has much to do with encouraging kids to skip class. There are two class times during the game, 9:30-10:45 and 11:00-12:15 so there are a lot of students who shouldn't even have to worry about skipping class.

I don't think there's any chance URI will even consider canceling class so I really hope URI starts some heavy promoting.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I have 2 tickets in sec 112 Row C. I recruited 4 others to come with me so I bought 5 together in sec 110. You're welcome to my old tickets. Let's set up a meeting place for pregame for people on the board. I'm pumped for the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Counting student sections, there's over 4000 seats left for this game.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

That's disturbing info Billyboy. BTW, in doing some analysis on the St. Bonaventure, I noticed on their web site a video of their recent exhibition blowout by over 50 points of D2 Mansfield State and it seem to show a pretty big crowd and a very enthusiastic one. Maybe someone who was at the STAC can provide a perspective in comparison. Also, do we use highlight videos in the post game summary on gorhody.com.
0 x