Senior Big Man Ifeanyi Onyekaba Leaves Program

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Senior Big Man Ifeanyi Onyekaba Leaves Program

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

http://rhodyrampage.com/2015/11/10/rhod ... s-program/

Good luck in your future endeavors Ifeanyi.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Senior Big Man Ifeanyi Onyekaba Leaves Program

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, only 10 scholarship players available.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This sounds a lot like the Jordan Hare situation exactly one year ago. How did his academics suddenly become an issue mid term when that had never been the case before. I can't but help think the academics reason mentioned earlier is just PR spin.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Dre called it.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

His scholarships counts against our limit for this year. I can't see his departure having an impact on our record this year. I thought he was helping us recruit some one???? Is he staying in school?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Best of luck to Iffy moving forward.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:This sounds a lot like the Jordan Hare situation exactly one year ago. How did his academics suddenly become an issue mid term when that had never been the case before. I can't but help think the academics reason mentioned earlier is just PR spin.
Not even a little bit like Hare. Hare was a petulant child who wanted Hurley and everyone else to bow to his will and let him show up when he wanted to. He was a prima donna. He was unfortunately talented and could've been a huge boost to this lineup and team. It was determined the team was better off without him, Hare was kicked to the curb, and it certainly seems like they were right.

Iffy's decision was on his own, and one that wasn't necessarily wanted by the team. He would've found minutes this year, but probably not in the amount that he thought would be worth prioritizing basketball ahead of his school work, of which will be his ticket to success in life, not on the court.

He's not going to transfer and will finish out his degree at URI.

Basketball isn't the be-all end all for everyone, kudos to Iffy to making the right decision for himself, as well as for the team, because if someone isn't fully committed to a team in any sport, it's not fair to the rest of the players.

From a basketball perspective, Iffy was going to be at the end of the bench, in all honesty behind Berry. Berry has skill and good footwork, he needs improvement on his fitness, which can be worked on. Iffy was a great athlete and teammate, he just lacked some fundamental skills.

He'd be welcomed back on the team in a heartbeat, and I would've liked to have seen what he could've done in his senior season, but we'll be just fine. Best of luck to Iffy.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

RF1 wrote:This sounds a lot like the Jordan Hare situation exactly one year ago. How did his academics suddenly become an issue mid term when that had never been the case before. I can't but help think the academics reason mentioned earlier is just PR spin.
Don't forget he is a business major. Maybe not the hardest, but far from the easiest of majors at URI. He apparently felt he was seriously in jeopardy of failing and knew it would only worsen once travel for basketball started.

As much as it sucks, IMO he made a decision based on his priorities and it's hard to really say he made the wrong choice.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Blue Man wrote:
Not even a little bit like Hare. Hare was a petulant child who wanted Hurley and everyone else to bow to his will and let him show up when he wanted to. He was a prima donna. He was unfortunately talented and could've been a huge boost to this lineup and team. It was determined the team was better off without him, Hare was kicked to the curb, and it certainly seems like they were right.

Iffy's decision was on his own, and one that wasn't necessarily wanted by the team. He would've found minutes this year, but probably not in the amount that he thought would be worth prioritizing basketball ahead of his school work, of which will be his ticket to success in life, not on the court.

He's not going to transfer and will finish out his degree at URI.

Basketball isn't the be-all end all for everyone, kudos to Iffy to making the right decision for himself, as well as for the team, because if someone isn't fully committed to a team in any sport, it's not fair to the rest of the players.

From a basketball perspective, Iffy was going to be at the end of the bench, in all honesty behind Berry. Berry has skill and good footwork, he needs improvement on his fitness, which can be worked on. Iffy was a great athlete and teammate, he just lacked some fundamental skills.

He'd be welcomed back on the team in a heartbeat, and I would've liked to have seen what he could've done in his senior season, but we'll be just fine. Best of luck to Iffy.
Agreed!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

From everything I have heard and read about Ifeanyi, he seems like a tremendous human being. I wish him all the best going forward as he finishes out his studies at URI, and I hope that he remains close to the basketball program as it could not help but benefit from having him be an off the court influence on the team.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:He would've found minutes this year, but probably not in the amount that he thought would be worth prioritizing basketball ahead of his school work, of which will be his ticket to success in life, not on the court.
This is what I was thinking and why it is a bit similar to Hare. Iffy has never been a problem but I would not be surprised that he either saw or was told he would net see a lot of action and decided all the effort wasn't worth it. In the end, that is why Hare left. He left last year (2nd departure) because the role he would play for Hurley was not what he expected (and likely felt he deserved and was entitled to).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not only has he had his school work, but he also had the charity that he was working on this summer. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

what the hell, I mean I support him and wish him luck and everything but all those practices and gym sessions for nothing.........
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iffy always seemed supportive of the rest of the team, cheering good plays, etc. I, too, would have liked to see if could contribute more this year, but he's made the right choice. (I seem to recall that he was one of the academic leaders on the team his first year here. Perhaps as the courses got tougher, he started falling behind?)
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

It ain't easy balancing a business degree with college basketball, I feel for the kid on a personal level!

As Jay said above, Iffy's key to success is his education not basketball and if his grades are in jeopardy it's only right to focus on what's important.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Seems odd to leave at this point after staying on the team for 3 years. Might just want to enjoy his last semester and a half of college without having to worry about basketball.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

And I was called foolish for asking if anyone dropped off the team before game time.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good luck Iffy!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Put a helmet on him. Throw him at the strong side D end spot and let that kid's future take off. He is a physical specimen.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could it be that he intelligently weighed his options in conjunction with working with DH as to the present and as to the future?
Iffy is a great guy, intelligent, introspective, generous, caring, personable, career driven and hard working.
He may be thinking of focusing on his studies (it will naturally be easier to not have basketball consuming much time as always) but also preparing for Graduate School next year AND THEN being able to play an additional year at a D1 School.
If he plays this year then he can't play next year. He will also be eligible to play immediately.

No doubt in my mind Iffy used the time to enable himself to make the best possible decision. Could also be that his presence during this preseason time period, including the summer months, was appreciated by the Coaching Staff and players so as to provide strong competition during the period and help in the development of the new players, especially the new big men?

Iffy will be fine, our team will be fine. All is good.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't understand how a player can leave a team and keep his scholarship.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I'll miss him.....

Good luck Iffy!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Jay said it all above. Iffy made the best choice for his long term well-being. His situation is vastly different from that of a previous player who suddenly left before last season. It's unfair to Iffy to make the link between the two players, since Iffy has been an outstanding representative of the university and basketball program for his entire time on campus.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

This is BS by Iffy. I feel bad for his teammates and the kids who wanted to play and got no $$,brcause of his dead weight.
They better pull his schollie. Same as Hare. He will regret it later on in life. Iffy had a unique skill set (none).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hal Kopp wrote:This is BS by Iffy. I feel bad for his teammates and the kids who wanted to play and got no $$,brcause of his dead weight.
They better pull his schollie. Same as Hare. He will regret it later on in life. Iffy had a unique skill set (none).
I'm willing to bet that isn't the way the program sees it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramfan85 wrote:I don't understand how a player can leave a team and keep his scholarship.
Dan did.

And now all eight guys from that first big class have moved on. Eric's still here, though, but he got promoted.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

The last time this happened they won the elite 8. Or won the A10. Not sure which year david a. Left.

I wish him the best and thank him for his time but you def get more out of being a former Bball player especially on a potential good team than getting good grades. No one knows what your gpa was, getting your degree is the only thing they know. And if you were on one of the best uri teams ever potentially even better. Anyway I met iffy a couple of times and was a very nice guy. Wish u the best.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Iffy movin on....team on to American U....just win the next one....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He should walk on to the football team. He's bigger than 90% of the team and can catch a ball.
Last edited by theblueram 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This bears no similarity to the situation with Hare, the first time he left it was for his extenuating family circumstances...the second time he was basically showed the door for insubordination.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

This is also a point in the semester that is make or break for some students. If he felt he couldn't devote enough time to school work, so be it. Definitely doesn't sound like a Hare situation and maybe he could of helped the team at a couple of points during the season, but really how much court time would he really see. I can see them running a three guard offense most of the time anyway.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Non story, we are fine....He barely played at all last year. Good luck Iffy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BornNBred33 wrote:Non story, we are fine....He barely played at all last year. Good luck Iffy.
I was surprised to read in the Projo article this morning that Iffy did not play at all in the last 17 games of last season
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

ramster wrote:
BornNBred33 wrote:Non story, we are fine....He barely played at all last year. Good luck Iffy.
I was surprised to read in the Projo article this morning that Iffy did not play at all in the last 17 games of last season
Point Proved! Thanks Ramster.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:I don't understand how a player can leave a team and keep his scholarship.
If the program could use his scholarship I'm not sure if he would keep it for the second semester, though as of now they can't use it. He's a senior and we already have a commitment lined up to take that scholarship for next year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's a good decision for Iffy and I'm glad to see how serious he is about his schoolwork. Basketball wise, I hope Earl stays healthy.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I imagine that he will help the team's APR by maintaining his grades. In the end that may be more valuable than sitting on the bench.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BornNBred33 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Point Proved! Thanks Ramster.
Probably would have been less this year with the added depth.

http://www.abc6.com/story/30486967/uri- ... eaves-team
Last season, Onyekaba appeared in seven games and played a total of 38 minutes.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:This is BS by Iffy. I feel bad for his teammates and the kids who wanted to play and got no $$,brcause of his dead weight.
You're the same person who claimed a father would be rolling over in his grave because his son decided to pursue an engineering degree instead of suit up for our football team. I understand that we're all college sports fans here, but college is about far more important things then fielding sports teams and it seems clear that you don't understand that concept nor the concept that the student part of student-athlete should be more important than the athlete part.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

15 Year Lurker wrote:The last time this happened they won the elite 8. Or won the A10. Not sure which year david a. Left.

I wish him the best and thank him for his time but you def get more out of being a former Bball player especially on a potential good team than getting good grades. No one knows what your gpa was, getting your degree is the only thing they know. And if you were on one of the best uri teams ever potentially even better. Anyway I met iffy a couple of times and was a very nice guy. Wish u the best.
But what if he was in jeopardy of not getting his degree, then what? Having a degree and not sitting on the bench this year is far more valuable then sitting on the bench and not getting the degree.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Senior night will include a walk on, a 5th year transfer, and a jc transfer. When was the last time we didn't have a four year senior on senior night?
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I imagine that he will help the team's APR by maintaining his grades. In the end that may be more valuable than sitting on the bench.
This is a great point. Iffy doing well in the classroom isn't just what's best for him and the most important thing for him to accomplish, but it's also more important to the program than the very limited minutes he was in line to play.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

All I hear about is the waste at the UNiversity.
As I send a check up there about every other month.
If every kid who had academic challenges quit,no school would have an athletic program.
Remember this human foul machines schollie next time Hurley or admin. complains about resources.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Obviously not a big loss, but I don't like having only 10 players available. Say Watson is hurt and Hassan is in foul trouble in a big game.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Hal Kopp wrote:All I hear about is the waste at the UNiversity.
As I send a check up there about every other month.
If every kid who had academic challenges quit,no school would have an athletic program.
Remember this human foul machines schollie next time Hurley or admin. complains about resources.

You have no idea what the extent of academic struggles may be for him. I can't believe that I'm reading someone knock a kid for valuing his education. Kudos to Iffy for making a difficult decision, but one that's ultimately better for his future. At the end of the day, no matter how we look at it as fans, Iffy's responsibility is to put himself in the best situation possible for future success. If he feels that this is what's best for him, then I respect his decision, wish him the best and thank him for the time he spent as a member of the basketball team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow Hal, that's pretty rough!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I too am floored at someone ranting because the 11th man decided school was more important. Do you also yell a lot at your kids soccer games?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not going to beat the kid up. I just don't really believe his departure is primarily academics related.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Its probably a mix of both lack of playing time and school...ie why put academics in jeopardy to have the best seat in the gym to watch URI games (on the bench).
Seems logical.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hal your posts in this thread are some of the most ignorant stuff I have ever read around here. Congrats.
0 x