Game 1: American University (Friday, Nov. 13 8PM)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Native
ARD

Game 1: American University (Friday, Nov. 13 8PM)

Unread post by Native »

On Friday, 13-November-2015 at 8:00pm in the Ryan Center, the University of Rhode Island men's basketball team hosts American University, in what for both teams is the first game of the official 2015-2016 season.

American University (aka AU or American) is a private research university located in the District of Columbia. It is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, although the university's curriculum is secular.

Roughly 7,200 undergraduate students and 5,230 graduate students are currently enrolled at American University. As a member of the Division I Patriot League, the AU sports teams compete as the American University Eagles.

The Head Coach for men's basketball at American University is Mike Brennan, now in his third season. Brennan is a former Elizabeth (NJ) High and Princeton University standout,

As an undergraduate at Princeton, Brennan was a four-year starter under legendary head coach Pete Carril. Brennan helped lead the Tigers to Ivy League championships and the NCAA Tournament in 1991 and 1992. He was named Second Team All-Ivy in 1994.

After earning his B.A. from Princeton in 1994, Brennan played professionally in the European Basketball League for teams in Germany, Belgium, and Portugal.

During his two seasons as head coach, Mike Brennan has given American University their two greatest years in program history. In 2013-14, his first season as head coach at American University, Coach Brennan led the Eagles to Patriot League Regular Season and Tournament Championships, advancing the school to its first-ever NCAA Tournament berth.

Last season, American finished with a 17-16 overall record, going just 8-10 in Patriot League regular season play yet still achieving a return trip to the Championship game of the Patriot League play-offs, ultimately falling to Lafayette in a thrilling tournament final.

However, three key starters from last year's team have since graduated: all-league point guard Darius "Pee Wee" Gardner and fellow backcourt stalwart John Schoof and bigman Kevin Panzer.

Joining this season's list of eligible Eagles players are five in-coming freshman and two now-ready-to-play transfers. The challenge of blending those seven new guys into a depleted line-up may be the reason that the Patriot League coaches and sports information directors chose the Eagles to finish fifth in the league this season (behind Lehigh, Bucknell, BU, and Army).

This season, American University in the pre-season played two "secret scrimmages" ("secret" in that they were conducted in private, without publicity, and with no recorded boxscore) but have played no exhibition games, which with so many new players makes the current edition of AU mens basketball a difficult team to scout and preview at this point in their schedule.

The Eagles' roster (with the probable starters shown in bold) is as follows:
  • Kevin Brown (5-8 160) Freshman guard from West Orange, New Jersey, who played his high school ball in Montclair, NJ, at Montclair Kimberley Academy. After graduation from MKA, the diminutive Brown had originally been headed to SUNY-New Paltz to continue his basketball career; however, former Montclair High standout Craig Brandon, who helps train 'KB' in his hoops workouts, made contact with American's Coach Brennan (who just happened to be one of Craig Brandon's former AAU players), and then helped arrange for Kevin Brown to become a preferred walk-on at American University.
  • Alex Paquin (6-0 198) Sophomore point guard from the Montreal area; he played his CEGEP ball at Champlain College in St.Lambert, Quebec. Last season at American he played in 13 games, all as a reserve. Not likely to be a major presence against Rhody on Friday.
  • James Washington (6-1 160) Freshman guard from Norwalk, California, where he attended Frederick Price School in Los Angeles and played AAU for Team Fast. An excellent student and a dynamic player who can score, pass, and create shots for other people, Washington was ranked as a three-star recruit by Scout.com.
  • Jalen Rhea (6-2 205) Junior guard from New Albany, Ohio. Averaged 2.7 ppg and 0.9 rpg. This guy is definitely in the rotation.
  • Jack Weinstein (6-4 177) Sophomore forward from Long Island. Walk-on practice player.
  • Charlie Jones (6-4 185) Junior swingman from Manchester, Maryland. Last season, he started 31 games and averaged 8 ppg.
  • Jesse Reed (6-5 185) Senior guard from Saltsburg, Pennsylvania, is one of two returning starters and the key leader on the team as he is the only returning player with any significant playing time. Last season as a junior, Reed averaged 14 points per game, and also led the team in rebounds (5), minutes played (38.5), steals (33) and blocks (19). This season, he was selected to the 2015-16 Preseason All-Patriot League Team.
  • Delante Jones (6-5 195) Freshman swingman from Lynchburg, Virginia, where he attended Virginia Episcopal School and played AAU for Team Takeover DC. He earned first team All-State honors last year and was ranked a three-star recruit by ESPN. In high school last season, he averaged 16 points, 5 rebounds, and 1.2 steals per game, while shooting 49% from the field, 39% percent from distance, and 78% at the charity stripe. This year, if he does not start, he will one of the first guys off the bench. Likely candidate for Patriot League Rookie of the Year.
  • Marko Vasic (6-5 200) Senior forward from Belgrade, Serbia; prepped in the USA at Aim High Prep (Michigan). Roommate of fellow senior and team leader Jesse Reed. Last year down the stretch, Vasic was a difference maker: he averaged 13.8 points and 7.5 rebounds over the last six games of the 2014-2015 season. Although Vasic may not start, he will likely be one of the first guys off the bench.
  • Lonnie Rivera (6-6 195) Freshman forward from Spring Valley, New York, who attended Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, New Jersey, and played AAU for the B.C. Eagles. Though just a freshman, Rivera has a wealth of international experience, having played for the Puerto Rican National Team this past summer as well as traveling to Dubai for the U-17 FIBA Championships.
  • Yilret Yiljep (6-7 235) Junior forward from Kaduna, Nigeria. As a freshman at American, he played in 13 games, but sat out last season with a medical redshirt. Unknown status but the guy is likely to be rusty should he return to action against Rhody.
  • Leon Tolksdorf (6-8 225) Junior forward from Berlin, Germany. Transfer from UConn, he sat out last season due to NCAA transfer rules. Averaged 1.5 points in 24 games for Connecticut during his two-year stint as a Huskie. Likely to start against Rhody.
  • Paris Maragkos (6-9 243) Junior center originally from Athens, Greece; he played his American prep ball at Blue Ridge (Va.). Transfer from George Washington, where he was a reserve player during his two years with the Colonials; he sat out last season due to NCAA transfer rules. Likely to start against Rhody.
  • Andrija Matic (6-10 220) Freshman forward from Belgrade, Serbia, where he attended the German School of Belgrade and played three seasons for KK Mega Vizura, averaging for the 2014-15 season 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists. Coach Brennan has been quoted as saying that Andrija is a versatile, skilled post player with a good feel for the game and is a quick learner. Evidently, Brennan expects this young man to contribute this season. By the way, this in-coming freshman is the son of Veselin Matic, a Serbian professional basketball coach who is currently the head coach of the Lebanon national basketball team and was formerly the head coach of the Iranian national team from 2009 to 2012.
  • Gabe Brown (7-0 230) Sophomore center from Stony Brook, New York; he attended Ward Melville High School, where he was cut from his junior varsity team in 10th grade (he did earn All-County honors and the Most Improved Player award in his senior year). Last year for the American University Eagles, he played in 12 games (averaging 0.6 ppg and 0.6 rpg). He may play Friday against URI, although he remains a bit of a project.

Look -- it really does not matter who Coach Brennan decides to start for the game on Friday. It also doesn't really matter that the URI will be facing a tough, resilient opponent that for the past two seasons has been known to run a Princeton-style offense. When the ball goes up at the center jump next Friday night at the Ryan Center, the only thing that will matter is that this long-awaited season has finally started, and that the Rhody goal will be to win the first game of the season. And in successfully doing so the Rams players will take their first step towards returning URI to the NCAA tournament.

GO RHODY!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 1 - American University (Friday, Nov. 13 8PM)

Unread post by bressler3south »

The only "trap" I want to see in this game is in the corners of the court….
Last edited by bressler3south 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Native, just to correct you a bit....Jeff Jones brought AU to the NCAAs in both 2008 and 2009, so what you said about Brennan (coached them to their most successful season in 2014) is a bit off. I am an AU alum, when I was there we competed (barely) in the CAA and routinely got beat up. Once they moved to the Patriot they have competed at the top of the league almost every year. Jones was hired at ODU off of his successful seasons at AU.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:Native, just to correct you a bit....Jeff Jones brought AU to the NCAAs in both 2008 and 2009, so what you said about Brennan (coached them to their most successful season in 2014) is a bit off. I am an AU alum, when I was there we competed (barely) in the CAA and routinely got beat up. Once they moved to the Patriot they have competed at the top of the league almost every year. Jones was hired at ODU off of his successful seasons at AU.
So, who are you rooting for in this game, BAR?
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Now I'm confused. I thought big apple went to URI. Was AU post grad?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Cmon now 78 - rhode island born, rhode island bred. I will be there rooting for a thumping of my alma mater.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:Cmon now 78 - rhode island born, rhode island bred. I will be there rooting for a thumping of my alma mater.

For your new avatar, bar…..

0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

bigappleram wrote:Native, just to correct you a bit....Jeff Jones brought AU to the NCAAs in both 2008 and 2009, so what you said about Brennan (coached them to their most successful season in 2014) is a bit off. I am an AU alum, when I was there we competed (barely) in the CAA and routinely got beat up. Once they moved to the Patriot they have competed at the top of the league almost every year. Jones was hired at ODU off of his successful seasons at AU.
BAR: First, thank you for your comment; corrections and/or differing opinions are always welcomed.

Second, the statistical/factual parts of my previews of Rhody opponents are basicly mash-ups of odd bits of information that I find on the Internet, using various search engines. In particular, the following line is from the "Mike Brennan" page of the AU athletics website and is the source of the apparent mis-information that you are attempting to correct.
  • During his two seasons at American University, the Eagles experienced their two greatest years in program history, winning back-to-back Patriot League Regular Season and Tournament Championships, advancing to the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament berth.

Here is the link to the page in question: http://aueagles.prestosports.com/sports ... ennan_mike

Thirdly, I also have memories of Jeff Jones, but more from his time at URI, back when he was one of the assistants for Jerry D, and I do remember when Jeff Jones departed Kingston to become the head coach at American. So I guess that it was my bad that I did not dig deep enough on the URI-AU connection to discover that Jeff Jones had led the Eagles to back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Tournament in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons.

Thanks again for the comment.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Remember, the women's basketball team is hosting Syracuse at 5 as part of a double header.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RR02, good reminder! it wouldn't be the worst thing if we could get some support for the women's team too, sounds like a good early test for them.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

There are about 550 freshman business students that are required to attend the women's game at 5pm, along with their mentors, me being one of them. I would think that most of these students will stick arround for the mens game at 8pm. You can bet your ass I'll be pushing to not only get as many students to stay for the mens game, but to get others to go as well.

No matter what, come the PC game the crowds will start to show in waves when they realize an atmosphere like no other is right here in Kingston.

#FuckPC
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Any tv for this game?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote:Any tv for this game?
Cox Sports/OSN
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

HASwatTeam wrote:There are about 550 freshman business students that are required to attend the women's game at 5pm, along with their mentors, me being one of them. I would think that most of these students will stick arround for the mens game at 8pm. You can bet your ass I'll be pushing to not only get as many students to stay for the mens game, but to get others to go as well.

No matter what, come the PC game the crowds will start to show in waves when they realize an atmosphere like no other is right here in Kingston.

#FuckPC
Just out of curiosity, what-the-hell is the assignment/requirement??????

Do any of these students have jobs they're required to be at Friday night?
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

bressler3south wrote:
HASwatTeam wrote:There are about 550 freshman business students that are required to attend the women's game at 5pm, along with their mentors, me being one of them. I would think that most of these students will stick arround for the mens game at 8pm. You can bet your ass I'll be pushing to not only get as many students to stay for the mens game, but to get others to go as well.

#FuckPC
Just out of curiosity, what-the-hell is the assignment/requirement??????

Do any of these students have jobs they're required to be at Friday night?
My guess this is part of URI101, the freshman orientation class. A decade ago when I was the mentor in the class, the full name included traditions and transformation. So attending URI basketball fits under the objective focusing on traditions. As it is part of class, and part of the syllabus, classes outrank work. (all of us in academics have to dueling roles of class comes first versus the practical, but accreditation depends on hours in learning situations)

If Friday is a double header, I hope all those students stay, because I would bet they can't reissue tickets for those seats to other students.

Go Rhody!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

will the game be online at COXHUB?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Its pretty much impossible to predict, but what do you guys think the Vegas point spread will be? Rhody by 14?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Its pretty much impossible to predict, but what do you guys think the Vegas point spread will be? Rhody by 14?
I'm not sure what the spread would be, but if it's 14, I'd bet my life on URI covering.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My therapist said stay clear of Rhody betting lines; at giving 14, I would take American....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI should cover anything below 15......if it's more...?????

I think it's going to be about 18 though.....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think this team will be trying to tweak things even in garbage time.

I think the bench is capable of pouring it on. They are talented and hungry enough that they want to do damage themselves when they get a shot.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 1: American University (Friday, Nov. 13 8PM)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'll bet us by 9
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Youre given what, 3 points at home? Id tack on at least 10 to that.
0 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The first of many blowouts.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 1 American University

Unread post by ramster »

With the game this Friday bumping this thread up......good summary of roster
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Does anyone know if this will be on TV? Also if someone could link some kind of TV schedule for all of the games that would be great, can't go to all of them
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Here's a head start:

CoxHub http://www.coxhub.com/coxhublive
11/13/15 Rhode Island vs. American 8:00 pm
11/21/15 Rhode Island vs. Cleveland State 7:30 pm
11/29/15 Rhode Island vs. Rider 2:00 pm
12/02/15 Rhode Island vs. Holy Cross 7:00 pm
12/08/15 Rhode Island vs. Houston 7:00 pm
12/19/15 Rhode Island vs. Iona 7:00 pm
02/09/16 Rhode Island vs. G Mason 7:00 pm
02/20/16 Rhode Island vs. Duquesne 2:00 pm
03/05/16 Rhode Island vs.Fordham 2:00 pm
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nice.

I think there is also a feature ESPN has where they allow you to subscribe to the schedule of a team through your email.

So go to the team. Look for sched. Once there I saw a button I clicked that subscribed my email calender to it. So I ultimately I think my phone.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2m2 minutes ago

URI big man Ifeanyi Onyekaba will leave the Rams' basketball program, per release. One year of eligibility remaining.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he's leaving the team not the school, he's choosing to focus on his last year of academics
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good luck to Iffy.

He wasn't going to play much this season, maybe a few minutes late in blowouts.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

I think were really good but are there any basketball reasons supporting why some of you think we should easily beat American by more than 25? They have more size than us down low so how would you feel if Hassy picks up 2 quick fouls and is on the pine? Im expecting a win and like i said would set the line at -14, but anyone expecting a win by like 30 just cuz their name is "American" is crazy or needs to explain why
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The talent and experience of this team should not have much problem with AU. AU is a good hoops program and shouldn't be taken likely (i.e. TRAP). I'm not predicting a blowout, but this is a great game for this team to start the season on a high note. I also think Dan's comments in the journal this morning about last season- we had a good enough record to maybe get into NCAA, but we didn't win the right games- rings true for this year. The team needs to win the big games this year (and not lose the bad ones) and they will be fine.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm predicting a blowout
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I have learned to always listen to Iggy. Thus, a blowout will occur and I will be happy!!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

AU is young, and athletically our team is on another planet from them. They play a methodical, Princeton style offense but they will have a hard time doing that against our perimeter defense. On offense we should be able to get to the paint at will. I'm with Iggy, Rhody by around 20.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Are the men's and women's games separate admission? By the tickets, it seems they are.

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... EB_GoRhody

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... EB_GoRhody
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think in practice, since women's games are general admission, anyone who arrives for the ladies and stays for the men would have to yield to any ticket holder for the men's team, and just find another seat.

It's not like a double-header at Fenway, where they clear everyone out and then scan tickets for the second game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I think in practice, since women's games are general admission, anyone who arrives for the ladies and stays for the men would have to yield to any ticket holder for the men's team, and just find another seat.

It's not like a double-header at Fenway, where they clear everyone out and then scan tickets for the second game.
That sounds like it could get a little chaotic with our notoriously fashionably late arriving crowd.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I think in practice, since women's games are general admission, anyone who arrives for the ladies and stays for the men would have to yield to any ticket holder for the men's team, and just find another seat.

That sounds like it could get a little chaotic with our notoriously fashionably late arriving crowd.
Not many people attend the girls games unfortunately, hopefully that is soon to change
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Not many people attend the girls games unfortunately, hopefully that is soon to change
If I can buy the 10 dollar GA seat for the women's game and sit in a 36 dollar seat for the men's game, why wouldn't I do it?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Everyone who brings two canned goods to the game will get a voucher for a half priced ticket to a future game.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Since the Ryan box office is closed today, I called the other number, 855-387-4849. The woman there told me that the men's and women's games are separate admission. That doesn't make sense. Is she wrong?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

That is why the men's game has a late start - 8 PM. Gives them a hour to clear the arena before the men's game. But if there is overtime....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:That is why the men's game has a late start - 8 PM. Gives them a hour to clear the arena before the men's game. But if there is overtime....
So, it's definitely separate admission?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:That is why the men's game has a late start - 8 PM. Gives them a hour to clear the arena before the men's game. But if there is overtime....
So, it's definitely separate admission?
Aren't they two different events? I'm not sure I understand the source of confusion.

Personally, I'm glad for the women's game pushing the start time back because it is hard to get from Boston to Kingston on a weeknight for a 7pm tip.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I may be the source of confusion. I assumed it would be like all previous doubleheaders where the men's crowd arrives as the women's game is finishing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ah hadn't seen that speculated. If they have done that before and aren't doing it this time, hopefully that means they think they'll have more people at the women's game than unsold seats for the men's game - which would be at least good for one team or the other, if not both.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

These double headers have occurred many times in the past. They will not clear the arena but are not going to promote this as a dual event because of people getting creative with tickets
0 x