Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas (Friday, Nov. 6 7PM)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas (Friday, Nov. 6 7PM)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm predicting 3700 for next Friday.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm predicting 3700 for next Friday.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Better sell a lot in the next 6 days because there's tons of tickets left.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Better sell a lot in the next 6 days because there's tons of tickets left.
Students will close a lot of the gap. They will hold them for sale right up until the doors open but they'll end up letting a ton of those seats go to students. I will bet you a lunch that it is closer to 6500 than 3700.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

theblueram wrote:Obes, the attendance was pathetic!!!! By all not just the students.
Wish I could have gone, but like ATP and Truepoint, I have a 3 month old as well. That on top of living in CT will limit the number of games we attend, if any. We even planned on going to Cancun as my wife always wanted to go to Cancun and this year would have been perfect as it kills 2 birds with one stone, beach and basketball.

I'll rely heavily on this board for info this year. Luckly, we'll be on national TV quite a bit this year. But, at least I already have my tickets setup for the Sun next year.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I will guess low 5000's, including students.

Anything less will be disappointing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:I will guess low 5000's, including students.

Anything less will be disappointing.
6,122 for football today........we should exceed football
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
theblueram wrote:Obes, the attendance was pathetic!!!! By all not just the students.
Wish I could have gone, but like ATP and Truepoint, I have a 3 month old as well. That on top of living in CT will limit the number of games we attend, if any. We even planned on going to Cancun as my wife always wanted to go to Cancun and this year would have been perfect as it kills 2 birds with one stone, beach and basketball.

I'll rely heavily on this board for info this year. Luckly, we'll be on national TV quite a bit this year. But, at least I already have my tickets setup for the Sun next year.
How do you have your Mohegan tickets for next year already?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

CT Rhody wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

How do you have your Mohegan tickets for next year already?
A friend has executive tickets and doesn't like college hoops.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't think Friday night is a good night for students, between the many that go home and the many others that party off campus. We'll see. Can the students get excited about American U?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think American has a whole lot do with it. I think the students are excited for their team and have been waiting for the chance to see them. I hope, anyways.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Simple answer: No.

This is not a big name opponent. Shouldn't be close. 20 points at least.

It's still going to take some convincing, as in beating good teams, before they come in decent numbers for the weaker teams on the schedule.

Just telling it like it is, like it or not. TP, I get that there is more excitement surrounding the team. Still not there yet....

By mid season, if we take care of business the way everybody expects, then they will come.....

PC is a must win toward that end, btw......it's time to deliver the goods folks.....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I don't think American has a whole lot do with it. I think the students are excited for their team and have been waiting for the chance to see them. I hope, anyways.
I hope you're right too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need to start beating the best teams on our schedule.

We need to CONTINUE to win those games.

We need to get into the top 25, and stay there.

Then, the buzz will go off the charts. The students will come in droves if that happens.

Then, we'll get 6000+ for the shitty teams on the home schedule.

Remember, that actually happened for a while even with our previous coach. Then it fizzled out when it turned out we were a fraud.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I agree with 78s assessment on what it will take to get casual fans to show up. Here's a prediction. By February there will be complaints from students that not enough tickets are available for them. The Athletic dept will not be holding a pep rally at the MU second semester once they realize that they can sell every available ticket rather than handing them out to students. Get ready to increase your RIAA donation if you want to keep your seats.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't think Friday night is a good night for students, between the many that go home and the many others that party off campus. We'll see. Can the students get excited about American U?
Here we go again…..
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think the ref's impacted Akele's game a lot the other night. He couldn't catch a break. Calls were soft.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I don't think Friday night is a good night for students, between the many that go home and the many others that party off campus. We'll see. Can the students get excited about American U?
Here we go again…..
Hey, I hope I'm wrong. The students will be there as the season goes along. Last year, there were hardly any there at the beginning and tons of them at the end. I still think it has to build.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Its pathetic if students don't show from Day 1 -- WTH else is going on in Kingston between 7-10pm no matter what the night, I'll tell you, nothing.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LaSalle lost to Philadelphia University on a buzzer beating basket 79-78. The Explorers were without Tony Washington and Cleon Roberts. Both were sidelined nursing minor injuries and are expected to play in the opener against Towson.

D1 Team Exhibition Losses to D2 Teams

Philadelphia Univ over LaSalle
Augustana (SD) over Iowa
St. Thomas Aquinas College over St. Johns
Freed-Hardeman over Murray State
LSU-Alexandria over Southeastern (LA)
Cal State Monterey Bay over Utah State
Cal Baptist over Northern Arizona
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:LaSalle lost to Philadelphia University on a buzzer beating basket 79-78. The Explorers were without Tony Washington and Cleon Roberts. Both were sidelined nursing minor injuries and are expected to play in the opener against Towson.
Kaison Randolph, who showed up briefly on the recruiting board a few years back, had the game winner.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Instant Analysis from the game from Will at The Independnt. Make sure to check out his 50 in 50 series, too.

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 0ad6b.html
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Its pathetic if students don't show from Day 1 -- WTH else is going on in Kingston between 7-10pm no matter what the night, I'll tell you, nothing.
I don't know what it's like now, but when I was there it was known as the "suitcase college", meaning lots of kids went home every weekend. I went to the Bon Vue...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Where's Rod?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Students came in late, midway through first half the were several hundred in the N end 200's.

It's the older fans that were a huge no show. A nice guy handed us a s205 row C seat freebee. I bought another S205 seat and we sat in the corner (s202?) as s205 was nearly full. Empty at tip off and students well represented by 10m mark.

The no shows missed out - it was an entertaining game! You could have bought an $8 seat and moved down. Didn't go you missed out IMHO. I suspect most of the students who came out will be back and bring more friends.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody Guy wrote:I think the ref's impacted Akele's game a lot the other night. He couldn't catch a break. Calls were soft.
Agreed ... at least two of his fouls were terrible calls.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'vE seen Rod on Twitter, posting about politics. I'm sure that he will be back.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody74 wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:I think the ref's impacted Akele's game a lot the other night. He couldn't catch a break. Calls were soft.
Agreed ... at least two of his fouls were terrible calls.
the refs with their anti-baby giraffe agenda
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:Its pathetic if students don't show from Day 1 -- WTH else is going on in Kingston between 7-10pm no matter what the night, I'll tell you, nothing.
I'll repeat what I usually say each year - Crowds act savvy when it comes to ticket buying. If the team improves this year, attendance will be up. But the early games will likely be softer attendance-wise than later games; people are less likely to buy tickets based on a team that's projected to be good, vs. a team that has 10 wins banked. The biggest factors on attendance, in rough order: 1) Last year's win-loss record; 2) This year's performance, with the larger the sample size, the bigger the effect and 3) The team's performance the past several years. It's why VCU (and obviously, bigger programs like Duke and Kentucky) can sellout exhibition games, but why the Jim Baron URI teams saw drops in attendance even though their win-loss records were superficially OK.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A prediction of 3700 for the opener doesn't square with past openers. The home opener with the smallest crowd was the 3200 that showed for the Hofstra game in Baron's last season. The biggest was Brown game in 2008 with 5,859. All the others were in the 4-5000+ range.

Yes, STAC was an exhibition game, but let's not make excuses, it was not good greeting for the team that is forecasted to be good and with high expectations in the fan base. Students should have filled the 201 section. I expect, however, it will improve. American U. game will be telling.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm not sure it would be wise to jump to many conclusions based on one game. Whether it be the exhibition or the American game. Win and the fans will come. Lose and lost will leave. It really is that simple.

One thing is for sure though...I can tell the season is upon us when everybody is complaining about attendance (before a game has even been played)!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Obadiah wrote:A prediction of 3700 for the opener doesn't square with past openers. The home opener with the smallest crowd was the 3200 that showed for the Hofstra game in Baron's last season. The biggest was Brown game in 2008 with 5,859. All the others were in the 4-5000+ range.

Yes, STAC was an exhibition game, but let's not make excuses, it was not good greeting for the team that is forecasted to be good and with high expectations in the fan base. Students should have filled the 201 section. I expect, however, it will improve. American U. game will be telling.
What was the attendance for the past exhibition games though? That would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison. I tried doing a Google search earlier today, like what the attendance was for some of the exhibitions in the Harrick years, and couldn't really find a quick answer to that.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

SG, here is what I could locate:

Code: Select all

2007    Stonehill   3112
        Concordia   2720

2008    RIC         6044
        Concordia   3217

2009    RIC         4470

2010    Concordia   4047
        RIC         4320

2012    Coast Guard 3210
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Do we have attendance numbers from this game yet? Koch usually tweets it out.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Do we have attendance numbers from this game yet? Koch usually tweets it out.
Koch estimated 1000-1500.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

There were a lot of late arrivals. I think it was more than what Koch estimated, maybe around 2500. I was still disappointed.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Koch, as much as I love him, also seems to take a somewhat pessimistic view of our fan base and has been critical of attendance at the Ryan (not that unlike many posters here, and not that I totally blame him or any of our guys who take a similar view). But if it is his estimate I'd lean toward that being a little understated.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Meant to mention that I was impressed how well coached STAC was.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Again, Koch was wrong way off on his estimate
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote:Again, Koch was wrong way off on his estimate
agree, he was not even close
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Also, let's be clear on estimates of warm bodies vs what would normally be announced or paid attendance. Any of those games above where there was an announced figure would obviously be a LOT higher than the count of warm bodies.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I assume he was at the game when he made his statement, people in the stands were much higher than his estimate - nothing to do with ticket sales or no show just vision
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

2,000? maybe 2,500?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ramster wrote:I assume he was at the game when he made his statement, people in the stands were much higher than his estimate - nothing to do with ticket sales or no show just vision
McNamara, Reynolds, Koch at game, as well as Will from Independent.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Attended the game, some observations:

--Yes, Iverson had five TOs, yes, some of them were ugly. But I love what he can do with the ball and can't wait to see how he performs once the rust wears off. That time when he rebounded a missed FT, brought the ball up the court quickly and found Hassan in a mismatch down low for an easy bucket was a flash of what could be. He doesn't need to be a game-changing defender, but it'll be important for him to defend in the manner that Gilvydas was successful in last season - that is, holding his ground, not leaving his feet too often to try to block shots, but funneling the opponent to a spot where Hassan/Earl can alter their shot. Also, if KI can shoot 33% from 3pt range this year I would be beyond thrilled.

--Terrell looked like a changed man. So explosive and quick. Great looking jump shot, if his shooting has truly improved he will be an excellent offensive player for us this year.

--Big Earl looked real quick off his feet and DAMN are his arms long!

--In limited minutes against limited competition, Berry did a great job using his size to carve out space and has excellent touch. Potential contributor down the road.

--EC did a great job of not forcing the action, showed a lot of unselfishness. The one instance where he forced it a bit was on that corner 3 in the first half, but he made up for it by getting a quick steal and layup. After that he settled down and was very much in control. Thought DiSano had an excellent write-up regarding how important it will be for EC to continue to not seek to pad his stats. Plus ZERO TO's by EC against a team that forced Saint John's into 27 of them.

--Biggest takeaway for me was just the staggering amount of talent on this team. No doubt Baron (I may adopt the alternate spelling of Barren) had some talented teams that he squandered, but the talent of this starting five and even through all the depth is above and beyond anything we have seen in Kingston in quite some time. Could not possibly be more excited for the real games to get under way.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

SF2010 excellent post!

Agree on all points. This is the highest overall talent level I have witnessed since the last Brian Woodward team.

That team quit on their coach.

This team won't.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Brian Woodward? The 2008-09 team was talented and quit. Not sure that's how I'd describe the 2003-04 team. That team was just mediocre.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sf2010 wrote:Attended the game, some observations:

--Biggest takeaway for me was just the staggering amount of talent on this team. No doubt Baron (I may adopt the alternate spelling of Barren) had some talented teams that he squandered, but the talent of this starting five and even through all the depth is above and beyond anything we have seen in Kingston in quite some time. Could not possibly be more excited for the real games to get under way.
Granted Barren squandered the talent. Granted this team is talented for sure. But I honestly think that even if Barren had this team right now that the team would not make the NCAA Tournament.

When I look back at the teams prior to DH, I have the nightmarish reminder of watching and cringing almost every time the opposition took a 3 point shot. I remember screaming when players were left wide open for 3's. It's no coincidence that the pre-DH Teams had High 3 Point Percentages and we were at the bottom of the A10 in 3 Point defense. Now we are at teh top of the A10 and in fact Nationally in 3 Point Shot defense or low percentage achieved.

Also I was ill from the opposition making easy fast break layups either off turnovers or long rebounds off of missed 3's by URI that led to fast break layups.

The defensive improvement is huge - as Donald would say - HUGE!!! Pre-DH Coach implemented the running concept but seemed to think the defense could simply go without focus.

Pre-DH Coach also spent most every minute in post game conferences blaming poor shooting by us ("you've got to make shots" or "you've got to shoot the basketball"). Or blaming the Referees, or blaming the schedule that had too many games in too few nights, or "ya gotta give em credit, day made dare shots"
Always excuses, always. Never ever his fault. Bad luck, bad bounces, you name it.

Recruiting is key for sure, DH had excelled with getting players here but I think his Coaching on both offense and defense and Leadership is critically important. Leadership that makes the guys come together, be like a family away from their real family. Look how few off court issues there are at URI today. This is not by luck , this is not by accident.

Everything is coming together and the great ride continues :D :D :D
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

2007-10 & Delroy was good. Dawan Robinson was good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry