Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas (Friday, Nov. 6 7PM)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas (Friday, Nov. 6 7PM)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good showing. Nobody got hurt and we didn't get St. Johns'd.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

100 points scored and not one player took 10 shots.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody bettered St. John's showing against STAC by 55 points.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Overall shooting percentage was great at 58.6% (34 of 58). 3pt shooting (5 of 16 - 31.3%) and FT shooting (27 of 40 - 67.5%) as was often the case last season continued to be the weak spots.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Impressed by Four and Christion. Both appear to be very solid guards. Big plus for the freshman. Team has great chemistry.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Looks like a 9 man rotation. Surprised Berry didn't get any minutes in the half, especially in an exhibition game.
Not on shape yet
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Was Iffy there?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hah if we shoot it at 58% a game I'll take the other stats. Of course this is a D2 team [though a good one] we just played....

3 pt. and FT shooting will be better this season, by how much is the question.

I'd love to see us at 35% from 3 pt. land, and 70% from the line, though. I think we'll be close to those numbers....

Still won't be great, but good enough to beat most teams.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Iggy1979 wrote:Was Iffy there?
No Iffy there, personal reasons from what I've heard ...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Was Iffy there?
No Iffy there, personal reasons from what I've heard ...

0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

TruePoint wrote:Nobody got hurt and we didn't get St. Johns'd.
Love it. Rolls off the keyboard even better than UMass'd.

Also thanks to hrstrat57 and others for live insights tonight.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Not comprehensive, but a few things I noticed tonight:
Kuran looked pretty good, seems he tried to do a bit too much with the ball tonight and had a few turnovers. Hit a nice corner 3 early on.
EC looked smooth and in control, handled the ball well without over dribbling.
Jared looks like a monster, can definitely see in pregame warmups his trimmed down self, had a great fastbreak dunk early on and it seemed like he was hitting everything.
Christion looks like the real deal to me, hit a few shots and handled the ball well.
I also definitely agree with the assessment from the open practice that Akele looks like a baby giraffe, but man is he long, seems like he'll be a nice piece.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

depth appears to be improved especially offensively.. four looked poised and appears to be more than a shooter.. handled ball well.. Thompson looked comfortable.. Big game from Earl.. Hustled all over offensive glass.. Handled press well and ran a bit tonight.. Offense will be better.. Defense pretty poor tonight.. Hopefully because not a regular season game.. Rebounding may be a concern.. Hass and Watson.. That's it.. Iverson And Akele very skinny.. Big men could be a problem.. Fun night though.. Great to see them back on the court.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

The Iffy situation is not behavioral, it was academic. I was told he is walking away from basketball so he can fully focus on getting his business degree.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

On another note, the stat of the day to me was EC: 3 assists and 0 turnovers. If he can do that this team will be scary good. Not to mention his elimination of bad shots, 6-9 is very impressive
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre3000 wrote:On another note, the stat of the day to me was EC: 3 assists and 0 turnovers. If he can do that this team will be scary good. Not to mention his elimination of bad shots, 6-9 is very impressive
Agree,
Plus he led both teams in rebounds with 8, next closest was Martin with 6. He also led the team in steals with 3.
Martin and Watson each with 5 blocked shots.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My take, take these as early observations against a D2 opener. Like McGlynn a lot, besides his three point range, he handled the ball well, could play some role there going forward? Impressed with Earl' s getting in position to get ball down low, seems lighter and faster. Hass is a beast, both ends. EC is EC. Terrell seems more comfortable with getting his shot. Iversen, not sure what we saw is what we want, fouled out, picked up his third in first half on a dumb defensive play. Questionable ball handling skills, is he supposed to play on the perimeter? Liked Garrett at the point, not exactly news flash there. Coach actually had a chair. Nice to see Eric in role as grad assistant coach. Iversen needs to find role in the offense. Honestly, expected more from him.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fan base needs to get used to uneven results from Kuran, he is a transfer for a reason. Will need to find his role with an experienced team while also finding his game. Agree with the EC comments in terms of efficiency his biggest area of improvement
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I hope Iffy comes back, would hate for him to leave the basketball team like that. He's been here since Hurleys first year :/
All the best for him going forward with his academic career, but I'd like him to continue playing for us. Not to mention he gives us some depth up front.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If this is truly for an academic reason, shouldn't this have been known sooner so they could have possibly brought in a 5th year player?

Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they just wanted to keep him on scholarship for one last season out of loyalty.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I agree Rambone,way too late for Iffy leaving.
Anyways,where has he been for the last few years?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:If this is truly for an academic reason, shouldn't this have been known sooner so they could have possibly brought in a 5th year player?

Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they just wanted to keep him on scholarship for one last season out of loyalty.

Besides, a grad transfer for what? They have a solid 9 man rotation, at least, and pursued those kind of options prior to their later signings. If anybody with one year left worth having wanted to be a Ram, he already would have been. Five new guys is more than enough to work in, I think.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As for Iverson, I would expect nothing but inconsistency for a while. He's joining a well-established starting unit and hasn't played in a college game since January 3rd. Even then, he played only 94 minutes (172 in his freshmen year for a total of 266 college minutes). A guy like Garrett, who moved into a starting role, had that many by January of his first year. Iverson is starting, which means he's earned it and is working like they expect him to. He could be the 4th or 5th best player on this team, and it could still work out very well.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The only thing I questioned was his bringing up the ball. Kuran was hustling all night, going after rebounds and was active on D. He did hit a 3.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I'm still holding on to the belief that Kuran will be one of the best 3 players on this team by seasons end. Last night wasn't exactly what he'll face regularly. He'll be at his best when facing bigs, not a team full of guards. They may have wanted to see how he would handle the ball against some guards tonight. But there are few bigs that can or will even attempt to pressure him for 94 feet in a game. All in all we have a TEAM of PLAYERS! Anyone of our starters can get hot and end up with a 20+ point game. We just need to tighten up some things on defense, which I have no doubt Coach Hurley will be able to do.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I expect Four to have starter type minutes. There seemed to be no dropout when he was in.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Official Please Play Earl Watson Thread

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Missed this game to be home with my new week-old son and his mom, but I'm glad to have all these reports from fans who were able to attend, as well as media coverage from Bill Koch, et al.

Can't wait for Friday!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:Missed this game to be home with my new week-old son and his mom, but I'm glad to have all these reports from fans who were able to attend, as well as media coverage from Bill Koch, et al.

Can't wait for Friday!!
Congratulations on the newest Ram!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ace wrote:
Nice to read a coach's perspective….
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I would like Welsh if not for his past association with the evil ones. He does a good job as an analyst.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thanks!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Really not worried about the defense.

I doubt they really dialed that up for this game. Similar to Iona last year?

Last year, there was so much effort on playing defense, that it hurt the offense somewhat. With the lack of depth, the guys got tired, especially as the season went on.

Still, this team has to have Hassan and Earl stay out of foul trouble as much as possible against the bigger teams they will face both OOC and in conference.

Iverson is not a banger. Would love to have one more big who could play, but will have to wait until next year.....might be the only thing they are missing.....

One more thing...Earl and Hassan are not, and will not, be great FT shooters. We have to expect that. Teams will foul them often. Just make a reasonable percentage of them, and it's all good.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rambone 78 wrote:Really not worried about the defense.

I doubt they really dialed that up for this game. Similar to Iona last year?

Last year, there was so much effort on playing defense, that it hurt the offense somewhat. With the lack of depth, the guys got tired, especially as the season went on.

Still, this team has to have Hassan and Earl stay out of foul trouble as much as possible against the bigger teams they will face both OOC and in conference.

Iverson is not a banger. Would love to have one more big who could play, but will have to wait until next year.....might be the only thing they are missing.....

One more thing...Earl and Hassan are not, and will not, be great FT shooters. We have to expect that. Teams will foul them often. Just make a reasonable percentage of them, and it's all good.
If you define great as 90%, then Four is the only qualifier from this team. Hassan has a pretty good shooting stroke from the line. I think he can be 65-70%.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I'm surprised there aren't comments on Garret's performance. Solid on both ends of the floor. He played quick, strong and smart. He will have a great year !,
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I really liked what I saw from Four although he did force a shot or two. He's quick and sees the floor well and beats double teams with passes and movement and passes well. Best of all, he can shoot treys and FTs. Gets his shot off quickly. i want him on the court in a close game when we have the lead. Complements Jarvis who is a better penetrater and finisher as well as a more physical player. Four is an ideal sixth man.

Jared has improved his shooting.

What was clear is that players do not have roles yet. That was particularly obvious with Iverson whose versatility leads to confusion at this point. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point and hope he is not a head case. He's unlikely to be the king of the court on this team, but he is very talented. Not sure if he will be a grinder on defense. With his buy in, this team is unlimited.

It will be interesting to see how EC fits in with all the new and improved talent around him. There is no reason for him to force his offense this year.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I see no indication KI is a head case. He wasn't perfect but he hasn't played much in 2 years. I don't think coach would tolerate it since our last head cas is stocking groceries in Michigan.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think Iverson will be fine. He is athletic and just needs to find himself on the court. One thing I would say is he needs to rely on the guards more to bring the ball up. He is not a guard and shouldn't be bringing the ball up over mid court. His height will cause problems on the dribble against guards. Which happened last night.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

KI looked pretty good.....got a couple of phantom fouls.....there were a few on us last night.

Our best freshman is Christion Thompson...can handle the ball, shoot it with confidence and defend....will be one of the best freshmen in the A-10.

Nikola and Andre need to trade about 30 pounds...Andre to Nikola......

Nikola is quite raw and gangly.....as he gains strength I see him being helpful next season.....not much this season based on what I saw last night....

Andre needs to get into Hurley-shape.....too heavy.....but he has a nice presence around the basket......will be a break glass in case of emergency player this year....if he gets in shape he may help in the future....2 years down the road

Earl was good last night but I want to see him against bigger interior players before I make a final determination of his role this year....

Four was more well rounded than I thought.....good shooter from the line and distance and hit a runner type shot early......not Jimmy Baron good as a shooter but who is?....will help immensely this year.

The core guys were all better than they were last year....Hassan is so fluid that you take him for granted....

Looking for a good year with the 4 letter tournament in our grasp before selection Sunday....

I think we will wonder what our seed is and where we are sent to play rather than wonder if we are on the bubble....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The baby giraffe (tm)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I agree about Thompson. He showed confidence in his shot and can really handle the ball. He should be on the court alot this year. I thought Akele did a pretty good job. Sure he is a freshman but I wouldn't say he is raw. He played with poise and seemed to fit into rotation pretty well. He was better than I expected.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

For as good Hass has been so far in his career, (IMHO) he was noticeably better last night than I think we've seen before. Not necessarily in terms of results, but the confidence he played with. He looked so comfortable on the offensive end and looks like he is really trusting his natural athleticism on offense.

I thought Kuran showed flashes of potential, which is what we should expect as he works off the rust. I'd like to see him tighten up his handle on the ball a bit more, but outside of that, I think he could certainly round into shape come conference time.

EC looks healthy and like he's ready to take the next step in his game. Handle looked much better last night and looked more comfortable using his right hand.

Jared and Jarvis both look like guys who are ready to take control of games and be leaders moving forward.

And Earl...atta boy. Looks healthy and like he'll be a solid contributor this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I didn't see the game last night, but Akele looked very good in the open practice.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Thompson's role and position is clear, I would expect him to earn playing time and transition smoothly...Akele is learning 2-3 positions based in his size and skill set, perhaps by conf play he can be giving us 10 solid minutes at the 3/4.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Thompson's role and position is clear, I would expect him to earn playing time and transition smoothly...Akele is learning 2-3 positions based in his size and skill set, perhaps by conf play he can be giving us 10 solid minutes at the 3/4.
Do you think Thompson is strictly a 2? Or could he play some 1, if not this year, but sometime in the future?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

IIRC Thompson played some point in high school. This year he is a 2. Garrett and Four will eat the PG minutes, tho EC seemed to have improved his ball handling.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks for all the great reports. It's looking good. I was a bit disappointed in the student turnout as reported here. We still have a ways to go especially when you see that VCU had a full house for their exhibition game against D2 California (PA). Also, Richmond reported they have sold over 3200 full season tickets and another 500 in the pick 4 package. does anyone have our numbers?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obes, the attendance was pathetic!!!! By all not just the students.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Obes, the attendance was pathetic!!!! By all not just the students.
It was a preseason exhibition that wasn't even announced until a couple weeks ago and wasn't included in the original season ticket disbursement. I'm much more interested in what next Friday's attendance is. I know for me, going to a game from Boston takes a pretty big time commitment and I never even really considered going to last night's exhibition, but nothing could keep me from the opener next week. I'm sure many others feel the same way.
0 x