Mohegan Sun 2016

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Mohegan Sun 2016

Unread post by CT Rhody »

0 x
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

2016 Tip Off at Mohegan

Unread post by runninrams5 »

Penn St, Cincy, Duke and URI
Jon Rothstein
Duke, Cincinnati, URI, & Penn St headline the 2016 Hall-of-Fame Tipoff Classic at Mohegan Sun, sources told @CBSSports. Matchups still TBD.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Mohegan Sun 2016

Unread post by sf2010 »

Boom!!! And it's official :-)
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

So no Florida? I thought that was the rumor
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I wonder who our coach will be then....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

(just channeling the haters)
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I really hope we get Duke in one of the games. How often does Duke, other than the ACC-B10 Challenge, play an OOC game on a court that has more fans there cheering for another team? It would be a once in a lifetime chance to see a matchup like this so close to home.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That depends RF1. Unless Ram fans come out early and buy up tickets, the Duke entourage could snatch them up. But we just need to beat PSU or Cincy in the first game to see Duke. I'm making the leap that after this year we will have top billing.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote:That depends RF1. Unless Ram fans come out early and buy up tickets, the Duke entourage could snatch them up. But we just need to beat PSU or Cincy in the first game to see Duke. I'm making the leap that after this year we will have top billing.

If it is known before tickets go on sale that URI will face Duke in one of the games, I am confident that URI fans will buy tickets in very large numbers. You don't often get the opportunity to play a program such as Duke in your backyard. The last time a good Rhody team played at Mohegan (vs Oklahoma State), 6k showed up and almost all were cheering the Rams. 2016 will be the senior year for Matthews and Martin and hopefully follows a very successful 2015-16 season. Ram fans will be excited.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RF1 wrote:I really hope we get Duke in one of the games. How often does Duke, other than the ACC-B10 Challenge, play an OOC game on a court that has more fans there cheering for another team? It would be a once in a lifetime chance to see a matchup like this so close to home.
Did you watch last year's national championship? Or almost any tourney game for Duke? Neutral court games always have an anti duke contingent outside of Madison Square Garden, Charlotte, and the meadowlands.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote:
theblueram wrote:That depends RF1. Unless Ram fans come out early and buy up tickets, the Duke entourage could snatch them up. But we just need to beat PSU or Cincy in the first game to see Duke. I'm making the leap that after this year we will have top billing.

If it is known before tickets go on sale that URI will face Duke in one of the games, I am confident that URI fans will buy tickets in very large numbers. You don't often get the opportunity to play a program such as Duke in your backyard. The last time a good Rhody team played at Mohegan (vs Oklahoma State), 6k showed up and almost all were cheering the Rams. 2016 will be the senior year for Matthews and Martin and hopefully follows a very successful 2015-16 season. Ram fans will be excited.
I'll have my tickets for sure!!!!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jmck wrote:
RF1 wrote:I really hope we get Duke in one of the games. How often does Duke, other than the ACC-B10 Challenge, play an OOC game on a court that has more fans there cheering for another team? It would be a once in a lifetime chance to see a matchup like this so close to home.
Did you watch last year's national championship? Or almost any tourney game for Duke? Neutral court games always have an anti duke contingent outside of Madison Square Garden, Charlotte, and the meadowlands.

OK. Make it REAL true fans of the opponent.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Oh, can't wait to see the match ups! I hope we get Duke at some point. Didn't think I'd ever say that, but this is the year I'd like to see it.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RF1 wrote:
jmck wrote:

OK. Make it REAL true fans of the opponent.
True out of conference road games would be extremely rare for Duke outside of the ACC Big 10 challenge as you mentioned. This is one of the reasons why I believe we will only see Duke in the championship game as I think if Coach K can avoid almost a true road game he will and let's face it, I am sure the tournament committee gave in to any Duke demands in an effort to land such a big name team for the tournament
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Then I'm sure we'll play Cincinnati and Duke will play Penn St.

We'll still get Duke. What a final that will be.......
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone know when the tickets go on sale/when the matchups will be set?

I remember people saying we were playing Duke a few months back. Was that just wishful thinking, or did that come from legitimate sources?

Either way, what a weekend this will be!
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

jmck wrote:So no Florida? I thought that was the rumor
Florida is playing in it this year. Florida plays St. Joes, Purdue plays Old Dominion.

Safe to say next year the field appears to be much stronger.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As of early this past March a very good source close to the athletic department was telling me we were assured of playing Duke at Mohegan Sun. This is the same person that told me about the impending beer sales last year.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:As of early this past March a very good source close to the athletic department was telling me we were assured of playing Duke at Mohegan Sun. This is the same person that told me about the impending beer sales last year.

The format which this tournament will use is still not yet publicly known. The 2nd Mohegan Sun games have not necessarily always been match-ups between the game 1 winners and game 1 losers. The 2nd day games were predetermined last year (2014) when Providence College participated. Part of the reason may have been that PC was already scheduled to meet another participant (UMass) in a regular OOC game. The 2nd day games this season (2015) use an advancing tournament format as it pits first day winners and losers meeting each other. This was also the format the last time (2012) URI participated along with Ohio State, Washington, and Seton Hall.

2012 HOF Tipoff Schedule
http://www.hoophall.com/news/2012/4/19/ ... ckets.html

2014 HOF Tipoff Schedule
http://www.hoophall.com/news/2014/5/1/n ... 4-tip.html

2015 HOF Tipoff Schedule
http://www.halloffametipoff.com/schedule.php
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If the tourney is set up like the previous ones, we will also be getting two home games.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:If the tourney is set up like the previous ones, we will also be getting two home games.
I think that is likely a given. This is always a plus as it gets two home games without any required future return games or payouts. That is the case this season with the Cancun Tournament as we get Cleveland State and Rider.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RF1 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:If the tourney is set up like the previous ones, we will also be getting two home games.
I think that is likely a given. This is always a plus as it gets two home games without any required future return games or payouts. That is the case this season with the Cancun Tournament as we get Cleveland State and Rider.
Another plus is the RPI as they count as neutral site games as opposed to home games
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

When will we know dates? I'll need to block off some hotel rooms!!!

It's amazing how quickly this program has turned around....it truly is. 3 years ago I was the complete polar opposite to how I feel now about Rhody Hoops!
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe the games at Mohegan are always Sat & Sun two days after Thanksgiving.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

It's the weekend before Thanksgiving this year, but always right before or after
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

URIGONZO wrote:When will we know dates? I'll need to block off some hotel rooms!!!

It's amazing how quickly this program has turned around....it truly is. 3 years ago I was the complete polar opposite to how I feel now about Rhody Hoops!
Amazing to think back about having CFL as our coach....
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Tickets went on sale for this year's one on 9/11. So will be about the same time next year am assuming.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

spookydog wrote:Tickets went on sale for this year's one on 9/11. So will be about the same time next year am assuming.
When Mike Laprey was posting about the schedule, didn't he say we should be on the lookout for tickets at the end of November, and book a room/buy the tickets?
0 x
Go Rhody