Hurley article in New York Post

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Hurley article in New York Post

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting comments by Ed Cooley at the announcement ceremony today. He made a point of thanking Bill Reynolds, Kevin McNamara, and the Providence Journal for honoring his request that they make sure they put aside the negativity that had been cast upon PC at the time Ed came to the job. I had been under the belief the media was supposed to be objective in their reporting. If Ed Cooley's words are correct, you really have to question the integrity and ethics of the Providence Journal and its staff by letting him influence what they wrote. Given how this paper treats URI, I have to think the school never asked for special treatment or if they did, the request was denied.

Listen via this link - Cooley's comments start at the 25 minute mark
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote:Interesting comments by Ed Cooley at the announcement ceremony today. He made a point of thanking Bill Reynolds, Kevin McNamara, and the Providence Journal for honoring his request that they make sure they put aside the negativity that had been cast upon PC at the time Ed came to the job. I had been under the belief the media was supposed to be objective in their reporting. If Ed Cooley's words are correct, you really have to question the integrity and ethics of the Providence Journal and its staff by letting him influence what they wrote. Given how this paper treats URI, I have to think the school never asked for special treatment or if they did, the request was denied.
Ed Cooley can say whatever the heck he wants - it doesn't make it true. Two weeks he said URI wasn't PC's rival and the board was ready to have kittens. If Cooley thinks the Journal is covering the team differently now, I imagine he's mixing up (intentionally or unintentionally) the causation. The team has been much better since he took over, he hasn't lost to URI yet, they've made the NCAAs two years in a row, and they're in the Top 15 right now with a chance to make the tournament a third year in a row. That hasn't happened for PC since the early 1970s. There pretty much is zero to complain about with their program, unless you're going to make a Curly Haired Boyfriend-type argument.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah this is much more Cooley's ego than any actual decision by Projo to cover the team differently.

PC dropped their bad coach, hired a Providence local as coach and has seen success three straight years.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I also don't think it's being portrayed properly.
The impression I got from watching the video was that when Cooley first came here, he wanted a tabula rasa with the media.
I'm assuming that had to deal with a lot of the negative around the situation with James Still/Johnny Lacy, the Greedy Peterson incident, the Joe Young situation, etc.
Wanted them to talk about the program going forward, not dwelling on what the past year had been like.
Projo doesn't often offer an opposing point of view which is why I have no need to read it, but they have been critical on occasion.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x