Lamar Odom found unconscious per TMZ

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by twisted3829 »

this isn't good

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Lamar Odom found unconscious per TMZ

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: Lamar Odom found unconscious per TMZ

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Prognosis is grim, according to TMZ. This guy's life turned so sad.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Such a shame, hope he somehow comes out of this. The guy has had so much turmoil in his life.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

This really upsets me.... Terrible news
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Former URI star Ladam Odom found unconscious at Nevada brothel

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... sfeed=true
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sad sad sad. Lamar, troubled as he may be, is one of the genuinely decent human beings. Really good guy who has gone through some really tough things in his life. Hoping he pulls through this and makes the most of the rest of his life.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This can't happen. Guy was my childhood idol, as I'm sure he was many others as well.

Just a sad sad situation. Hope he can fight thru it.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I feel very bad about this.
Lamar was such an engaging person, always with a smile.
He always liked his pot, and women, at least from his time here.
He obviously graduated to stronger drugs, afterward.
It's a shame. So much talent that was never quite realized,
now ending like this.
A cautionary tale for those paying attention, who might think
about taking the same path.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Here is the release from the sheriffs department.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is sad. He's had so many personal challenges in his life, yet no matter at what stage of his life people have met him, they always speak so well of him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Still alive as of this morning. Gotta pull through this Lamar!!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Prayers for Lamar and that he may find peace and happiness someday in his life.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here is a great read on Odom. Most here will know all this already, but still a good article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lamar-odom ... 02695.html
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It seems like an episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians might have set things off

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/ ... ans/277882

"Sources told TMZ that all seemed well with the former NBA star until an episode of “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” aired Sunday night.

In the episode, Khloe Kardashian was shown taking two phone calls from Odom. Her sister Kim was critical of Khloe for “flirting” with her ex-husband after the first call. The second was when Odom informed Khloe that his best friend Jamie Sangouthai had died of a drug overdose. Khloe said on the show — you can watch the clip at TMZ — that she was concerned about how Odom would take the loss."

Also from that same article, "The latest reports on Odom’s condition indicate his organs are failing and Khloe and others are with him in the hospital."

Well at least Khloe's at the hospital, that's very decent of her right? Nope. Never one to miss an opportunity, the Kardashians are of course just using this as content for their show.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/th ... socialflow

"As Lamar Odom fights for his life in a Las Vegas hospital his ex-wife Khloe Kardashian and her family are filming the tragic situation for their reality show — and have created what eyewitnesses called a “sh*it show” — RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned. Khloe, 30, sister Kim Kardashian and “Momager” Kris Jenner hopped on a private jet to Sin City with cameras rolling as soon as they learned about Odom’s overdose after a three-day booze and pill bender that culminated in him being found unconscious at the Bunny Ranch. “It’s [a] s**t show,” a source close to the situation told Radar. “The Kardashians are trying to run everything. They walked into the hospital with cameras rolling. It was shocking, but hardly a surprise.”
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/lamar-o ... 13599.html

Opiates and cocaine in his system with track marks on his arm. Tough to see anyone going through these issues especially a guy like Odom.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RJ, when you have a second and pop on here let me know who those "by all accounts" folks who say Lamar Odom was an asshole at URI that you posted on the PC board. Were you around the program in 1998-99? Because I was, and also know him beyond his URI years and the last thing anyone would say about Lamar is that he is an asshole. If anything he is too nice and has been taken advantage of for most of his life.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:RJ, when you have a second and pop on here let me know who those "by all accounts" folks who say Lamar Odom was an asshole at URI that you posted on the PC board. Were you around the program in 1998-99? Because I was, and also know him beyond his URI years and the last thing anyone would say about Lamar is that he is an asshole. If anything he is too nice and has been taken advantage of for most of his life.
Such bullshit.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I never met Lamar but he seemed well liked at URI, just immature and naive. I get the impression he was easily manipulated. He's an adult but it seems that meeting the Kardashians wqs bad news.
Enormously talented, it never felt like basketball was a priority. He got by on his skills and had a nice career, but not what we imagined. Hopefully his physical gifts will help him recover.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I know someone who was working with URI to help tutor Odom. Her description of Odom was of a kid absorbed with his image but couldn't give two shits about her or others trying to help him. She told numerous stories of times he would either show up and pay no attention, or simply not show up at all. She told me numerous people were irritated by his actions, but he largely got a pass because of his profile and exposure. She said he was extremely nice and pleasant with people who cheered him on or celebrated his success. Maybe this wonderful woman I know was biased or misunderstood Lamar, or maybe his public persona was much different than him behind closed doors. Maybe the description of "asshole" was strong because he probably isn't much different from most high-profile student athletes, but she and many she knew were none to fond of the ways they were treated. She had told me that most other athletes she dealt with might not have particularly cared what they were doing, but were respectful and mostly did as asked.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I know someone who was working with URI to help tutor Odom. Her description of Odom was of a kid absorbed with his image but couldn't give two shits about her or others trying to help him. She told numerous stories of times he would either show up and pay no attention, or simply not show up at all. She told me numerous people were irritated by his actions, but he largely got a pass because of his profile and exposure. She said he was extremely nice and pleasant with people who cheered him on or celebrated his success. Maybe this wonderful woman I know was biased or misunderstood Lamar, or maybe his public persona was much different than him behind closed doors. Maybe the description of "asshole" was strong because he probably isn't much different from most high-profile student athletes, but she and many she knew were none to fond of the ways they were treated. She had told me that most other athletes she dealt with might not have particularly cared what they were doing, but were respectful and mostly did as asked.
Ok so when he was an 19 year old kid he didn't like doing school work and did not show interest and/or appreciation for this woman trying to help tutor him and therefore she didn't like him. I hardly think that makes him an asshole "by all accounts".
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

he was apparently an asshole to anyone who didn't treat him as a basketball legend to my knowledge. It's been told to me by more people but none who dealt with him extensively. maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but this narrative was told to me in the scope of how great it was to deal with UrI and how great it was to work with most players including some pretty impactful players. Perhaps I used the wrong verbiage ... "By all accounts as dictated to me" how's that sound?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Instead of focusing on RJ spewing his bullshit stories, here is something from somebody who actually knows LO.

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Why would you say boo to a guy on his death bed?

It is more likely that random ppl a Star comes into contact with will attempt their own negative conclusions than a Star will try to make them feel bad. Or do anything to warrant such a claim.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Murph and Lamar were roommates, weren't they?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Apparently math isnt a strong suit at PC, the opinion of two people now is "by all accounts..." How did the academic community at PC feel about Ricky Ledo, was he extra diligent with his study hall work and the last kid to leave class. Was he an asshole too or a model citizen? So the #1 recruit in the country and surefire one and done had little interest in school, you extrapolate that to be a character judgement on him? Trust the people who actually knew him, the last word to describe him would be asshole.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I heard Marvin Barnes always asked for extra help from his academic advisor...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Guess what, when I was 18 I didn't like people who tried to make me do homework either.

Glad RJ is back to showing his true colors again. He had some people fooled around here when he turned to a more "reasonable" act for awhile, but he's just another Sean who is better at covering it up.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This isn't really a PC-URI thing - it's an Internet thing. Don't go on a Yankees message board when the Red Sox are in last place, or a PC board when there is bad news about URI, or Fox News when Obama has done something. And it's not like we (collectively as a board) are above this behavior, since we've had multiple threads about Brandon Austin and Marvin Barnes' behavior.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:This isn't really a PC-URI thing - it's an Internet thing. Don't go on a Yankees message board when the Red Sox are in last place, or a PC board when there is bad news about URI, or Fox News when Obama has done something. And it's not like we (collectively as a board) are above this behavior, since we've had multiple threads about Brandon Austin and Marvin Barnes' behavior.
I don't see how any of those are comparable to calling someone, who quite literally could be dying, an asshole. Bad news about URI? This isn't a bad loss or a miss on a recruit, it's someone's life.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Thanks for the levity Ace ^^ Next time I infer someone's an asshole that I don't even know while he is on his deathbed would be the first, this has zero to do with internet BS
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All I know is the feeling the day that URI got the number 1 recruit. Cloud nine. And he was a gentle giant on campus as far as I knew. He always said hi when I saw him. But I would think he was less than cordial to any pc fan. As we would expect. Get well Lamar.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:This isn't really a PC-URI thing - it's an Internet thing. Don't go on a Yankees message board when the Red Sox are in last place, or a PC board when there is bad news about URI, or Fox News when Obama has done something. And it's not like we (collectively as a board) are above this behavior, since we've had multiple threads about Brandon Austin and Marvin Barnes' behavior.
I don't see how any of those are comparable to calling someone, who quite literally could be dying, an asshole. Bad news about URI? This isn't a bad loss or a miss on a recruit, it's someone's life.
Yes, thank you.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This makes me more worried than ever:

http://gawker.com/tmz-khloe-still-marri ... 1736579894

And RJ, go to hell. I've dealt with the guy personally, when I was a teenager and I wasn't shit and he was The Man. And he was so cool to me and such a nice dude that it still sticks out to me all these years later. You're actually the first person I've ever heard speak badly of the guy. So kindly take that shit somewhere else please.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

RJ. What kind of loser jumps on with an assessment from a tutor from almost 20 years ago as someone is clinging to life? Lamar didn't like being tutored? Wow, big surprise. He got a social promotion in high school, too. He was never a student.
Not a shocker. Guy should be enjoying his life, maybe still playing. Instead he's fallen into an abyss.
And RJ decides this is time to chime in with "by all accounts" and that turns out to be ancient memories from anonymous people. As Edward R. Murrow said to Joe McCarthy, "Have you no decency?"
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

God Bless Lamar.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Oops. Murrow said "decency." Same point.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I couldn't even look at this thread until now, this is tragic!

And I come here to find that one of our welcome friar fan's is bad mouthing a "by all accounts" nice guy.

This is why I could never moderate....

RJ, You ignorant, lowlife mother fuck, GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!! when you're lying in a hospital bed fighting for breath I'll remember you as fondly as you'd like to remember Lamar.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What an asshole...

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:What an asshole...

From the same article:
“To me, it is a sad, sad thing because you’re not talking about a bad human being. He is so giving of himself, and that is probably the thing that hurt him most. He is so giving that I think people take advantage of him....And I always wanted him to find something he could hold on to, to make him feel value. In himself. Because he is a great human being, there’s not anything he wouldn’t do for anybody.”
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

To TP and others,

I'm sorry that my comments were so misrepresented by one of your brethren. Yes, I did say that I had been told (by a few people), that Odom was an ass to them 20 years ago while at URI. And when asked about it here, I kindly explained how and why I had heard that, something I would never, ever volunteer at a time like this unless asked. It's furthermore not something I even choose to debate, it's really not that important to me at a time like this.

Lost in all of this, is that while one person runs back here like a second grader saying "RJ is saying Lamar is an asshole," if you read the totality of my post (on another site), you would see that the post was supportive and praying for the best. Odom seemed to start his career like a child, it's a fact really. Look at all the stuff at UNLV -- fake ACT scores, soliciting a prostitute, the drugs. Got popped multiple times for drug use in the NBA. But he did what many people couldn't. He stared those demons down, woke up and decided to right the ship. He became a key component on multiple NBA Champions, maybe he never met his potential, but he was a key component on some awesome teams. I remember when the Lakers beat the Celtics in 2009, it was "Damn, Odom's back in the game." He was unbelievable in that series, and countless others we can't even begin to remember.

Then, it seemed he just got caught up in the drama again, the stuff with the Kardashians, apparent gang violence issues with his family, it wore on him. I have family who have dealt with similar things, so I can relate to a lot of the stuff. It sucks, and people can fight it, but sometimes you just slip and that's it. The sad thing is, if his head was on straight, he could have possibly competed as a generational talent. His build, his ability, maybe he couldn't be LeBron, but I think he could have been damn close.

We will all being going to bed tonight, not only praying that he wakes up from this, but that he recovers in a way only few have. On my site, I referred to it as his Chris Herren moment. There's a story in his book (and in the 30 for 30) about him blacking out while shooting heroin, believe he drove into a Dunkin Donuts. That was his last straw I believe, before rehab and now what has turned out to be a very successful life. I pray that Lamar wakes up and sees this as his chance to make things right, that he gets the help he needs to live another 50 years, and that he becomes successful in ways other than his basketball or TV persona.

We all want the same things, just wanted to make sure that was understood.

RJ
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I recall one Saturday in 1999, when I took my then 11 year old
daughter to the Warwick Mall to do some shopping.
That day, RI Higher Ed had a kiosk, distributing information.
Manning that kiosk? Preston Murphy and Lamar Odom.
They knew us from being around the team, and they were happy
to see us.
They asked my daughter about school, and signed a pamphlet
for her.
Far from being "big time", Lamar was like talking to any regular guy.
He and Preston were friends. Preston's middle name is Lamar, which
I thought was interesting.
What bothers me most about this mess is, Kris Kardashian trying
to capitalize on this tragedy by taking her dysfunctional family
to Nevada and making a circus of things.
All for the benefit of her trashy "reality show".
Truly disgusting.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

"Prayers go out to Lamar. Not sure what's going on but hope there's a way he can make it through. People could say what they want about this guy but I didn't leave this guys side for 3 days when he came to visit us. I watched all his workouts and he would stop to explain things in the middle of it. He also spent close to an hour drawing up the triangle offense and talking to me about life, why his team won those championships, and what impact I could make on my team by being a good teammate everyday and encouraging people. You never know what people are going through it's crazy. Praying for this man."

What Eric Youncofski posted on IG. That's how you show common decency and humanity.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

"I did say that I had been told (by a few people), that Odom was an ass to them 20 years ago while at URI. "
Nope, what you did say was "By all accounts this guy was an asshole"....then an outpouring of the opinion to the contrary, not by me, not by people on this board, but by dozens of people who actually spent time with Lamar said the opposite and you post a diatribe of back tracking. You are a wolf in sheep's clothing, to anyone with half a brain. Happy hunting.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Not buying your back track act RJ, you're a lowlife with shit in your mouth and vocal chords in your ass.

When Dave Gavitt died I could have said the same thing because by "all accounts" (my mom and dad, two people make all accounts right?) he was an asshole! I didn't come on here and say a single disparaging word, instead I expressed sympathy to those who might be affected, even though I could have said 'I wish I could bring him back so i could tell him what an asshole he is before he goes.'

You RJ are the quintessential PeeSee fan, a whining ASSHOLE!!! and did I mention GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!

You want any kind of consideration in this thing? Apologize and pretend you know why, no explanation, just an apology, because anything else is just your ass-mouth talking shit again.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Where's Jerry D in all of this? Is he bedside?

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You've got some quick feet there, RJ.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This gets sadder and sadder each day that passes.
0 x
Go Rhody