ProJo Pick and Pop Podcast

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: ProJo Pick and Pop Podcast

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree the "wait and see" philosophy from our fanbase is silly. Dan and this team deserve support from Game 1.
We have assembled a team not seen here since 98, and on paper is probably the most talented team we have ever put on the court in my 30+ years of watching URI.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Billyboy, we usually miss a few games a year so I will you in mind when we do. might be short notice though.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote:Agree the "wait and see" philosophy from our fanbase is silly.
Folks are up in arms RE: a podcast where two guys doubled down on the "wait and see" approach, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

ETA: Haven't listened to the pod yet, just an observation on what others have said here.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well, just yesterday I bought a three game mini pack for four and also the brown game for three and will be driving about 300 miles from South Jersey to
watch them this year and it isn't even my school ( it is my daughter's Alma Mater however) my wife and I and her sister are Dayton grads. we all come to the Dayton game each year. They root for Dayton while my daughter and I root for URI. But in all other games we all root for URI. Let me tell you it is already hard to get a decent
seat for games this year. I really think the attendance this year is going to be above expectations and if they are doing as well as predicted, most games will be sold out
and probably all league games will be sold out. This may finally be the season that makes URI a perennial power. Then again I am the eternal optimist, but games at the Ryan Center have always been as much fun for me as any games I went to at the UD Arena, especially when there is a full house.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Unfortunately, 3 of the home league games this year are when students are on break, so those have no chance of selling out.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

luke wrote:Well, just yesterday I bought a three game mini pack for four and also the brown game for three and will be driving about 300 miles from South Jersey to
watch them this year and it isn't even my school ( it is my daughter's Alma Mater however) my wife and I and her sister are Dayton grads. we all come to the Dayton game each year. They root for Dayton while my daughter and I root for URI. But in all other games we all root for URI. Let me tell you it is already hard to get a decent
seat for games this year. I really think the attendance this year is going to be above expectations and if they are doing as well as predicted, most games will be sold out
and probably all league games will be sold out. This may finally be the season that makes URI a perennial power. Then again I am the eternal optimist, but games at the Ryan Center have always been as much fun for me as any games I went to at the UD Arena, especially when there is a full house.
Hey I sat next to some Dayton fans at the URI Dayton game last year. Maybe I was sitting next to you and your people...
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Could be Peter. The URI/Dayton games are always exciting and a war of wills.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Main topic is the great Texas A&M team
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Main topic is the great Texas A&M team
Funny
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I suggest a keaney blue boycott of Projo
If this season goes as we anticipate this is the year to shut them out. We don't need their click bait, it's 2016 many more options for information.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also KMac has the same glam team as Trump.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ProJo boycott sounds good to me.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

With the way its circulation is dropping, how would anyone notice?
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People are being way, way too sensitive about this. Bill gives us the best coverage we've ever had and is highly responsive to furthering discussion outside of articles he writes. I'm not really sure what more Bill could reasonably do in regards to the manner in which he covers the team.

I think a lot of people are salty that he calls out our poor attendance, but that's a fair criticism. If you're still waiting to go to games until we beat PC, or we get to the tournament, or some other arbitrary point, you're a pink hat and part of the problem. Dan has set us up tremendously well. His players deserve our support and the athletic department needs the revenue to keep things moving up.

This idea that we should only consume media that is in lockstep with our own thinking is the biggest problem facing our nation today. Sorry Bill doesn't act enough like a writer from gorhody.com for some of you.
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wish I could like that post 10x !!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:People are being way, way too sensitive about this. Bill gives us the best coverage we've ever had and is highly responsive to furthering discussion outside of articles he writes. I'm not really sure what more Bill could reasonably do in regards to the manner in which he covers the team.

I think a lot of people are salty that he calls out our poor attendance, but that's a fair criticism. If you're still waiting to go to games until we beat PC, or we get to the tournament, or some other arbitrary point, you're a pink hat and part of the problem. Dan has set us up tremendously well. His players deserve our support and the athletic department needs the revenue to keep things moving up.

This idea that we should only consume media that is in lockstep with our own thinking is the biggest problem facing our nation today. Sorry Bill doesn't act enough like a writer from gorhody.com for some of you.
I don't think people necessarily have an issue with how he covers the team, he always provides in depth analysis and interacts with fans on twitter often.

I think people have an issue with his tone being condescending and a little pompous on Twitter and/or in person.
2 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhody15 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:People are being way, way too sensitive about this. Bill gives us the best coverage we've ever had and is highly responsive to furthering discussion outside of articles he writes. I'm not really sure what more Bill could reasonably do in regards to the manner in which he covers the team.

I don't think people necessarily have an issue with how he covers the team, he always provides in depth analysis and interacts with fans on twitter often.

I think people have an issue with his tone being condescending and a little pompous on Twitter and/or in person.
Bill Koch has never in his life been wrong. He feels working at the Projo makes him the man in Rhode Island and all his sports takes are 100% accurate. I enjoyed him more prior to moving over to the ProJo.

His attendance schtick, while at the same time saying we're not a top 25 team, gets old.
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

These are 2 guys that work for a crappy newspaper that is becoming obsolete. I think they get off on making Rhody Fans upset, screw them, they'll be looking for new jobs by 2018. I agree with the boycott, Projo sucks anyway and we get better coverage from national, legit news organizations lately anyway. Bye bye Projo!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There's a reason that most college basketball followers in Rhode Island are PC fans. And it's not because of their rich history. We had a richer history than they did going back to Frank Keaney and Ernie Calverly. PC became local media darlings in the late 50s and early 60s most notably by the PC Journal. It has continued to this day due to the coverage of local media people like Kevin McNamara. There have been plenty of years in the past 50-55 years when URI has had the better team. But that didn't change anything. PC has always received far more coverage than URI. And don't tell me I'm complaining and whining about this. I'm stating a fact. Basically an entire generation of basketball fans have been brainwashed by the local media due to their loving support of PC and by ignoring URI. I'd love to do a poll of RI residents to see what local team they follow. Obviously if you went to PC, you're a PC fan. If you went to neither school, I'm guessing 90% of those are PC fans. I even know people who went to URI that are PC fans. You wonder why we've always struggled with attendance? How about the fact that there are very few URI fans that live in the area. Winning this year won't change anything either. It's too late. The great URI teams of the late 70s, late 80s and late 90s didn't change anything. We live in a media driven society, even when it involves the local basketball teams.....THAT'S WHY I HATE THE PROVIDENCE JOURNAL!!!!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hope you guys have your foil hats on. Conspiracy theories.

Maybe if URI was better over the past 20 years they would get more coverage.

But PC is in the capital city surrounded by tons of people who are ripe to become fans. Access to PC basketball is easier logistically.

They DO have more fans and Projo does need to produce content that draws in those readers.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There is a difference between challenging your reader/audience, and talking down to them.
It's a matter of tone and words, I find they both do the latter - KM moreso.
And IMO it's just bad marketing in 2016, especially when you have an already small pie audience, why alienate any of them. If you cover the Patriots in Boston, different beast and being snarky can be part of your brand.
But in this day and age information is a commodity, they (Projo) are no longer the only game in town. Information is everywhere.
No one wants a homer, but they certainly should be more mindful of their small base.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

No conspiracy theories here. I've seen it for 50+ years. There are so many examples of it, the biggest being 1978 when the RI Senate wished PC good luck in the NCAA tournament. (URI was also in the NCAA tournament, was better than PC and in fact were the best team in New England). Why did they only wish PC well and ignore URI? Most likely because of the way the two teams were covered by local media. I'm sure there were people in the senate that didn't even know that URI was in the tournament. No, we haven't been very good for the past 17 years or so. But like I said, it has never mattered which school had the better team. There have been plenty of years since the 60s when we had the better team. It has never mattered. Kids who grew up in the 60s are PC fans. Their kids are PC fans. Their Kids' kids are now PC fans. That's fact.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Hope you guys have your foil hats on. Conspiracy theories.

Maybe if URI was better over the past 20 years they would get more coverage.

But PC is in the capital city surrounded by tons of people who are ripe to become fans. Access to PC basketball is easier logistically.

They DO have more fans and Projo does need to produce content that draws in those readers.
Maybe if they were better the past 20 years we would sell out every game. Providence was a ranked program last year with 2 (jk, just one) future NBA players and didn't sellout early in the season. Logistically, as you mention, it's easier to build a fan base and make it to Providence for basketball games - especially for those working in Boston or Providence.

The fact is, the Dunk only filled at a 78.25% clip last year. That's with a lottery pick, second rounder, coming off multiple NCAA berths, with more media coverage, and in a location easier to get to, and more marquee opponents. If all the above was true for Rhode Island we'd be sold out with regularity, but all we hear is URI attendance isn't where it should be from the same people telling us our team isn't top 25. Where's the negative reaction around Providence fan support?

That, to me, is the biggest frustration with Bill.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Kevin was doing everything but giving out the URI box office number during that podcast talking up the mini plan option. You guys say you want fair coverage but you want gorhody.com content under a Providence journal masthead.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They must be reading the board.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Section104 wrote: The fact is, the Dunk only filled at a 78.25% clip last year. That's with a lottery pick, second rounder, coming off multiple NCAA berths, with more media coverage, and in a location easier to get to, and more marquee opponents. If all the above was true for Rhode Island we'd be sold out with regularity, but all we hear is URI attendance isn't where it should be from the same people telling us our team isn't top 25. Where's the negative reaction around Providence fan support?

That, to me, is the biggest frustration with Bill.
The difference is that at 12,400 capacity, the Friars averaged 9,703 fans per game. They also averaged 11,653 in Big East play, which is 93.98% capacity.

If you go back to 14-15 where URI went 23-10 and 13-5 in the A10, they averaged 70.58% (5,404) for the season and 77.37% in A10 play (5,924).

In fact, I would actually challenge you on your point, because back between 2008-2011, I believe there was an article published with regularity about how the P-Bruins were growing and outdrawing the Friars coming from Projo.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Im not sure what everyone is so upset about with this podcast. I thought they were very fair and objective. And full disclosure I feel that kmac is a hardcore PC fan. But I think this was a fair analysis of of URI. We are yet to prove anything compared to Dayton and VCU. They are the reigning champs. URI is the team that has to probe itself. Previous posters are right, this isn't gorhody.com. If the team wins then they deserve the respect. However the team is yet to do it
0 x
Common sense is not common.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RFORTE wrote:probe itself
Ouch!
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RoadyJay wrote:
Ouch!

Lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will not be listening to their podcasts. I get all my info from this board
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:I will not be listening to their podcasts. I get all my info from this board
Glad you are back, reef!
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

ramfan85 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:
Ouch!

Lol
Prove*
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Even though Bill wasn't "talking down" to anyone with his comments here, I gotta be honest...a lot of URI fans DESERVE to be talked down to when it comes to college basketball.

There is a HUGE contingent of this fanbase that I feel like I've been fighting against since I was 12. There are people who legitimately do not think basketball is played outside of Kingston.

People who have absolutely zero perspective on what college basketball is like outside of this state, who don't understand the national landscape of college basketball, who don't understand what "good" and "bad" are relative to the sport, and who have the worst little brother syndrome as it pertains to PC.

All of these people get incredibly butt hurt when they hear anything other than "URI IS SO GREAT ZOMG PC SUKS" and it makes all of us look bad.

PC has a higher profile program in a higher profile conference and they have all of that because they have been more successful than URI for the last 2 decades. They have produced more NBA players, beaten ranked teams, played bigger games, been to more NCAA tournaments, and drawn more press and fans in that time. ALL OF THAT IS WARRANTED.

I don't really understand how people don't get that!? In 1998 this entire state was painted Keaney Blue. This place...the state that supposedly "hates" this basketball team had voters APPROVE A 64 MILLION DOLLAR BOND PROJECT TO BUILD THE GOD DAMN RYAN CENTER. AN ON CAMPUS BASKETBALL ONLY FACILITY. DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW SIGNIFICANT THAT IS!?

If you flipped URI and PC's last 20 years, you would have a flipped scenario as it pertains to fans, press, coverage, and interest.

The fact that people can't be objective and see that a program that wins big games, is located in a city of hundreds of thousands, has an easy arena to get to, and things to do around it is more attractive than a program that has been largely dormant on the national stage, is located next to farms in a town of mere thousands of year round residents, with nothing but said basketball team to bring people to the building is lunacy.

Do you understand how off base you have to be with your sensitivities to get someone who for a few years wasn't allowed to sit near the floor at home PC/URI games because he increased the risk of brawling with PC fans to write a post slamming you?

Good god. Grow up, learn basketball, and understand that someone who has been fairly, accurately, and favorably covering URI hoops for the better part of a decade isn't a part of some huge conspiracy to torpedo expectations of this program.

If you want to get more dedicated coverage - click on his articles, read his stories, listen to his podcasts. Otherwise you just continue to provide the providence journal more incentive to cover PC better because they are giving the listeners what they want.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Painting a pretty broad stroke there, but i'll take the bait since i was 1 of the people who i guess in your eyes was "butt hurt"

I agree with your point that the legacy gripe vs PC by some URI fans, that dates back to the late 70s, is tired and lame. Projo is going to cover what the most people want to read, if you want more attention then earn it. We control our own fate, make it unavoidable to cover our program because we are making news.

But that is besides the point that I at times find BK condescending in tone, forgetting KMac that's a foregone conclusion. Moreso true after his move to Projo. I value his journalistic abilities, and he has the right to take whichever tone he chooses, just my opinion. And it's an opinion formed by having a pretty good idea that life exists outside Kingston RI.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm curious, what do you find condescending about Koch's tone?

Blue man is spot on with what he said. As much as everyone here hates PC they've proven that they deserve the coverage by winning big games and making the tournament. Being in a better conference also helps. Right now we're 1-14 against top 50 rpi opponents over the last 2 years. Win a few more of those games and we're in a better spot. As it stands we have a great team on paper but we have to win some big games for people to fully buy into this program.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

josephski +1
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No need to get into it, we can agree to disagree and both pull for this season to start so we can talk about the games. Fwiw my opinion has zero to do with PC coverage, I agree with you they deserve top billing until we earn it.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

1) If URI wins more and wins bigger games more often, then the coverage will come. Not sure if it'll be truly equal but they'll get better coverage.

2) KMac is a Big East slappy. Goes back his days as a Syracuse undergrad. He grew up with the Big East. That's all he knew. He didn't go to Keaney with Silk/Garrick, never saw #1 Temple come to Keaney, paid little attention to Jameer Nelson and Delonte West carrying St. Joe's, or GW with Shante Rogers and Yinka Dare in the early 1990's.

3) It's not any paper's job to be a mouthpiece and tell pie in the sky stories about university. Be objective, don't go overboard when things are good or bad, stick to facts not agendas (retired Jimbo). That's what you should want to read.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Latest Podcast now available:
Kevin McNamara and Bill Koch look ahead to the 2016-17 college basketball season and preview Rhode Island's four Division I teams.

https://soundcloud.com/user-31252137/pi ... ew-edition
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This week's installment.

0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Interesting on what would be the better situation to play Duke (IF we beat Cincy). Whether you want the team as it has been playing through its first few games(No Giles, Tatum, Bolden) or if you want those fresh off injury starting this game. Either way it would be tough but I'd like to face guys who are great players, but haven't yet meshed into the system.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We just want Duke factored into our RPI. We must beat Cincy.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is this not available in iTunes anymore? Last episode I see in the feed is Oct 20.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I asked Koch why they're not posting to iTunes anymore. He didn't know. I asked that he tell his IT guy to get to work and get it back into syndication on iTunes like a proper podcast.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

It's on Soundcloud. Not as user friendly but the app is available on the app store.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, but they were delivering through iTunes from the start and just randomly stopped doing that.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Projo has no reporters. It is a paper rendition of the internet.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will not waste my time listening to these bozos
0 x