ProJo Pick and Pop Podcast

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ProJo Pick and Pop Podcast

Unread post by UCH21377 »

VCU has name recognition. That definitely helps, even though nobody admits it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

What has VCU done to deserv.... Uh nevermind.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think the EC loss had a deep effect on this team's collective psyche, starting with Hurley. And losing close games begets losing close games.
When I was at URU,, Sly Williams wqs excised from classes for three years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rosie, you can see the "deer in the headlights" look from our guys late in games.

They have zero confidence. Afraid to make mistakes. And of course, as a result they do.

If they could somehow win a couple of close ones, that might change. But it hasn't for a long time now.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Kevin and Bill are back!

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Also available through iTunes.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Also available through iTunes.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the program by McNamara and Koch.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Wow, that could be the most condescending season preview of a basketball team I've ever listened to. I guess somehow we are just flat out lucky to be where we are. So much spoken disdain for us as a program... and then Koch brings up the same old Dan Hurley will never stay at URI crap at the end of the podcast. How about we play out the season first?!?

I've always believed Kevin McNamara was biased in his coverage of URI, but man, has Bill Koch has gone uptown in his time at Providence Journal.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Koch has been coming off as condensing, pompous and arrogant the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, his coverage of Rhody basketball is EXCELLENT, and we are lucky to have him cover us, but he does come off that way sometimes.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It was a fair assessment, I think. Attendance last year wa as disappointing given the pre-injury expectations. We still have way to go to reach VCU or Dayton levels.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I thought it was a fair assessment. Kmac is a PC fan but Bill has brought him a little more center in his viewpoints but obviously still PC centric. Bill Koch is correct though, we have to increase attendance if we expect to be able to hold on to a top quality coach in general. I think an NCAA bid will help that personally but hope our preaseason top 25 ranking can help move the needle in terms of attendance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's REALLY time to start playing the games.......

If we are as good as predicted, people will come...if not, just more wasted hype and disappointment.

The average URI fan wants to see with his own eyes how good we are. Then and only then will they start coming in larger numbers.....

The Mohegan tourney will be a bellweather for the season.....beat Cincy and give Duke a battle, and all will be good.

Close losses to good teams like Cincy will not get it done.....people have had it with moral victories, this season, there will be NO more moral victories.

Dan has to completely reverse his record in close games against good teams. Nothing less.

We finally have enough talent to be an NCAA tourney team. Now go out and prove it......

Whoops...maybe ONE moral victory, against Duke.....that's it though.....
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I'm glad these guys are questioning Rhody. I want our guys to come in with a chip and something to prove. They failed to mention that a skeleton Ram team ran Dayton off their home court last year. I can't wait for Rhody to prove it on the court. Gonna be a FUN year!!

KMac doesn't sound like a very intelligent guy... Just saying.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I love McNamara's statement that URI has to strive to have the type of program Duke and Providence have. That's one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Duke and PROVIDENCE!!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh, as far as Duke, we have no shot to beat them according to Koch...as he put it, a pipe dream. While he's right that it's a long shot that we beat Duke, he just acts as if our team is a piece of shit.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Condescending small town hacks.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

bigappleram wrote:Condescending small town hacks.

Totally Agree!! Working at a dying medium.... They better learn how to blog and fast... :lol:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The hubris is laughable given where they are operating from. They already have a small audience and do their best to alienate them.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I love McNamara's statement that URI has to strive to have the type of program Duke and Providence have. That's one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Duke and PROVIDENCE!!!!!

I doubt we'll ever get to Providence's level. But, maybe we can at least be as good as Duke.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll bet Dan is not amused.......
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Did Kmac really say Duke and Providence? Really? I must of missed that part but talk about a stretch.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

ramfan85 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I love McNamara's statement that URI has to strive to have the type of program Duke and Providence have. That's one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Duke and PROVIDENCE!!!!!

I doubt we'll ever get to Providence's level. But, maybe we can at least be as good as Duke.
This pretty much epitomizes what it's like to be a URI fan in Rhode Island.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It will say a lot about the fanbase if attendance is poor for a Top 25 ranked team playing home games in a season where so many great things are expected.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The program won't likely ever get to where Dan wants to be without the fans.....

Other than the diehards, it's mostly fair weather fans here.

IF we're as good as predicted, then we'll know, and soon......if they don't come, then I could see Dan leaving sooner than later....and making URI even a harder sell for any new coach down the road......

My take on Koch and KMac? They share the skepticism felt by many.....talk is cheap....WIN and shut them up.....or they're right......

Listen, I'm as hopeful and excited for this season as most of you, but if we lose games early, things will go south and go south quickly around here......let's hope not

Dan is under a LOT of pressure, and it's real.....and he knows it.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Holy hell a lot of cheap shots for almost no reason. I also love them pretending sports Journalists are the smartest people on the planet.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

If attendance is still lagging if this team starts winning games, are ranked in the AP polls, maybe beat a Providence team for the first time since I was a college student, close out a tight game, successfully draw up and execute a final play, win a game at home against a (true) top 50/top 25 RPI team, then I believe it's OK to the belittle the fan base.

I was at every home game during that 8 win season in 2012-2013. It's not the fans like us that need to be convinced that bodies in seats bring programs to that next level. We already know that. It's the fringe fans who don't want to make another trip to Kingston just to walk out of the Ryan Center in another heartbreaking loss. They need to be convinced that this team is the real deal. 15 plus seasons of no NCAA tournament berths will do that to a fan base. Dan has done an incredible job digging us out of the hole and I am thankful every day that he is at the helm along with the amazing support of Thorr and President Dooley. They get it.

Seriously though, just win and the fans will come. And if they don't, then there is a discussion to be had.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

CT Rhody wrote:Bill Koch is correct though, we have to increase attendance if we expect to be able to hold on to a top quality coach in general.
IMHO I feel that sustained winning brings sustained crowds and has minimal to do with coach retention. If a coach is consistently on the precipice of a great run, fans are drawn to the program. Even if the school has a "down" or "reloading" season, fans are conditioned to support the program because they know what's around the corner. You need to consistently be flirting with the tournament to start to build the loyalty that will get people consistently in the seats every night.

"If you build it, they will come."

The truest motivator is consistently money, because that is the one thing that is hardest to control. In 2011, there were 11 NCAA tournament coaches making $2 million or more. In 2016, there were 24, plus at least another 11 who didn't make the tournament. In fact last tournament, 10 coaches were making $3 million or more. Between salary, benefits, and school resources, I think that is a bigger challenge in keeping a coach than attendance is. Now, not only do you have coaches making $2+ million with more regularity than ever, but you have many programs building state of the art practice facilities and some have ventured into building the Taj Mahal for their basketball teams to live in. It will continue to get tougher and tougher to win on the recruiting trail with hard work and grit, when programs can show players all of these extra on-campus perks that very few can provide.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't understand these guys. PC and DUKE?? I just don't get how an obscure providence journal podcast can talk down to the listener that has to seek it out to hear something about URI.

Questioning the national ranking?

Coaching people how to behave with this URI team??? Like they're the only ones with TVs? Only guys to ever step outside the RI border?

This podcast could not be worse. Thanks for saying EC and Hassan are healthy. Only thing worth hearing.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Mongo wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Condescending small town hacks.

Totally Agree!! Working at a dying medium.... They better learn how to blog and fast... :lol:
Could not agree more. So bad.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You can get away with being an arrogant prick if you are say covering a pro team in a big market or in a place where you have a large base. But when you are in one of the smallest media markets covering URI hoops you may want to not alienate half your audience. BRING BACK KENYON!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McNamara was nice enough to say we should finish in the top half of the division, although that is not guaranteed. He picks VCU over us because they demolished our depleted team last year, although he fails to mention that depleted team also beat Dayton. All that is fine. He's entitled to his opinion. It's his attitude that I can't stand. I wish he would just stay with his beloved Big East and stay out of the Ryan Center.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oooh, top half.

Last year, we just missed (68-66 loss) upsetting #19th ranked Dayton on Friday, Feb 12 at home before getting pounded on the road at VCU the following Tuesday. Of course, we got Dayton back on their floor with a huge upset despite not being anywhere near the team we'll have this season.

I can totally understand respecting Dayton's proven winning culture. That's why they got a handful more 1st place votes than we did. However, our team is just stacked with talent and it will be great to see Hurley put it to good use in the way he's wanted to play since arriving.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote:You can get away with being an arrogant prick if you are say covering a pro team in a big market or in a place where you have a large base. But when you are in one of the smallest media markets covering URI hoops you may want to not alienate half your audience. BRING BACK KENYON!!
Hit the nail on the head. I don't know if they understand that they come off as arrogant pricks, but it gets very tiresome. To the point that I no longer feel the need to follow them via social media - I know, who cares, right? They should care about every follower if our fan-base is really as limited as they claim it is.

As a sidenote: what Chris Disano provides for the program is special. His analysis is almost always pretty spot on.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And some positive news regarding that Duke-like program in Providence. Bentil got cut by the Celtics today.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Disano forgot more about the A10 than either of those guys. Beyond that, his insights about the game action trump anything out of the Projo.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:And some positive news regarding that Duke-like program in Providence. Bentil got cut by the Celtics today.
I wouldn't call a kid lgetting cut from his job as a "positive."

Bentil seemed like a good kid and was obviously one of the best college players in RI in recent years.

Saying that's a positive comes off as petty and shallow.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:And some positive news regarding that Duke-like program in Providence. Bentil got cut by the Celtics today.
I wouldn't call a kid lgetting cut from his job as a "positive."

Bentil seemed like a good kid and was obviously one of the best college players in RI in recent years.

Saying that's a positive comes off as petty and shallow.
Obviously, you don't know how much I hate that school.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

It's unfortunate that URI is given more respect and receives more positive attention from the national media than from Koch and McNamara. Only took them 15 minutes into an A10 podcast to mention URI is ranked and then downplayed the coaches poll.

Also think it's funny that Koch says URI craves relevance. Relevance isn't an issue. In fact, we get more national attention and respect than we deserve given our recent results. i.e. We're in every projected top 25 ranking and we're 1 of only 2 schools that didn't win 20+ games last year and be ranked in the coaches poll (UCLA is the other). What we crave is RESULTS not relevance.

In regards to the A-10, URI has 15 conference games on national TV. No mention of that. Only that the A-10 is a mid major and its schools can't get true home games against Duke. Whoa, thanks for the groundbreaking analysis. Duke plays 1 maybe 2 true road non-conference games a year. Based on my math, Koch and McNamara forgot to mention the other 330 schools that Duke will never go on the road and play.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Stop you are making too much sense Andy.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Boycott the nitwits......
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I legitimately don't understand what anyone is griping about. It's sad to see how butt hurt this makes our fanbase look when people are complaining that a journalist who isn't a blind fanboy has the audacity to say things like...experience matters in big games, sustained success isn't easy to achieve, we are not the class of the A10 just because we have a great team on paper.

I'm pretty sure Dan says the same stuff in the locker room.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I couldn't open up the podcast but I don't want to listen to it after reading these comments.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Just a question? Is it me or does the BLOWJO need URI
Sports more than URI needs the BLOWJO?

I would love for coach Hurley to give more time to the beat writers of the Narragansett times and the independent and national writers more than the BLOWJO writers. I mean if they are going to say and write about that kind of BS why bother. With everything online it seems like people read more from nattional writers than local. Everyone knows the BLOWJO is a sinking ship. So it comes back to my question.

Does URI need the BLOWJO more than the BLOWJO needs URI?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I had never listened to the Projo Podcast before but given the reaction I gave it a listen.

I am not trying to be a contrarian when I say this but I really do not see the issue with the podcast. I found there takes to be fair and objective.

Honestly, the reaction to the podcast makes our fanbase look sensitive.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

STC wrote:I had never listened to the Projo Podcast before but given the reaction I gave it a listen.

I am not trying to be a contrarian when I say this but I really do not see the issue with the podcast. I found there takes to be fair and objective.

Honestly, the reaction to the podcast makes our fanbase look sensitive.
Agreed, don't see an issue with it either.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Andy made some good points but the overreaction to the podcast makes us look bad, even if the people posting here are not a representative sample of the fanbase.

What is true is our fan base better bring it this year from game one. We are playing with fire and we will lose our coach fast if the community doesn't do their part.

If you want to be a Dayton or Xavier then you show up to all the games from now on. Dan and his team will be responsible for winning the games but the fans have to do their part.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some people (like me) can't afford to go to every game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You know what I mean, BillyBoy. Geez, so sensitive. I'm talking to the fans who have the ability to go but choose not to go because they're "waiting".

The wait and see phase is over. Both sides of the equation need to come together to maximize this program's potential. Waiting until January to see if they're good isn't what the perennially winning program's fans do.
0 x