URI Apparel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

URI Apparel

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I don't post often, but something I've never heard discussed is the opportunity that the school is missing out on regarding sports apparel (specifically for our basketball program). Every year I look before Christmas to see if there are any new must-have Ram items and I'm always let down. We should be embracing the resurgence of this b-ball program and really try to connect with the kids, students, and alumni.

First, the hat selection is awful. I don't know that I've ever seen a hat that was worth $20 ever on or off campus for URI. It's nearly impossible to find the baseball caps that the team actually wears for sale. Make some new straight brimmed hats that most adults cringe over, but that kids are wearing everywhere. Bold, artistic print that appeals to college kids. Newer winter hats would be nice to offer as well.

Golf shirts and T-shirts are as basic as it gets. Why not have some that highlight the ram as our mascot? I just feel like there's no creativity and if I were a graphic designer in any way I would be jumping all over this opportunity. Hell, why not have shirts with a caricature of Hurley on there (with his consent of course)?

The same old sweat pants are available on the site that you see the girls wearing around campus since 1990. Why not push some leggings for girls that are bold with school colors that can encourage school spirit? Bring out some keaney blue in some of these bold concepts. I would be willing to bet that aside from the sweatpants and maybe one sweatshirt, there aren't any items that would appeal to a college aged female.

I could go on and on, but was wondering if this could spark a discussion. I'm sure there are some young graphic designer students who wouldn't mind the challenge of creating some gear that their peers would want to wear. I know this all costs money, but if they're flying off of the shelves it would be worth it. I KNOW THIS ISN'T A BASKETBALL TOPIC, PER SE, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE ELSE TO VENT.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: URI Apparel

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Great post !

The selection is pretty ridiculous.. At least the limited spots I have seen apparel

What a shame..
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't remember ever being able to find the same on court jersey that the players have. Literally every other school you see has them. Why is it such a challenge?

It would be nice to have everything surrounding the program match the on court product.

(Although I guess it did during the 2000's...)
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe soon Blue Man, but it's tough when the jerseys change every year......
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Send your post to The AD, Mega.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It is most certainly a basketball topic and completely spot on.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another good source of revenue for the school, especially once the BB program makes the NCAA's.

Time to take advantage of it.....
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I noticed this as well, I liked the polos the coaches wore in Orlando last year and asked Thor about it on twitter and he said they got them from Adidas and they were for sale anywhere as far as he knew

A bigger, better selection online would be nice as well, not everyone can make it to campus
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This has always been the case, it has always driven me nuts, and it is one area where we are still the "same old URI" and haven't made any attempt to modernize yet.

When people think about "how URI is," this fits perfectly into that. It feels like we've always operated in our own bubble - which in some ways can be a good thing. But in many ways it holds you back, and the people we have there now have been great about updating a ton of things about the basketball program in ways that diverge from "how URI is." Unfortunately, merch is something we haven't updated yet.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Since Hurley was hired, I have literally performed like 12 google searches over this every four months. ITS IMPOSSIBLE.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I would like large magnetic Rhody decals for my car. Not bumper stickers or the like, the type of magnets you see people use for advertisement, maybe a nice large Keaney Blue Ram and/or a nice large RI, maybe like the one in the KB banner. Not gonna sell like hat's or hotcakes but pretty cool none the less and I'd love to be able to throw them on the vehicle for game days or maybe just ride around Smith Hill/Douglas ave area rockin the Rhody Shwag.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I have been trying to locate the baseball teams actual hat for over two years now. Bookstore said they can't order it.....drives me crazy
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can't believe there hasn't been a post about this yet! The apparel is a disappointment. I found some things I really like but yeah, not much going on with the merchandise.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Wow so true. The offerings at the Ram store are awful! I wonder if it's a licensing problem, i.e. the Ram Store doesn't have an agreement with Adidas?

My plan - when up at the Ryan Center for the PC game, offer someone in the athletic department a king's ransom just for some basic gear. Anything!!!
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

I really like this thread! The most important thing to me is being able to purchase an on court jersey that is as close as possible to the real thing. This past year was a MAJOR step in the right direction. The jerseys for sale last year were of a nice material and kinda legit. If they can offer the same on court type they have this year, I would be inclined to shell out $80-$100.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Couldn't agree more. I did a search last winter for a few pairs of new sweats and t shirts and was amazed to see many of the exact same designs that used to be in the book store when I graduated (2006) were still for sale. No vintage t shirts, nothing with the Ram logo, and most dissapointing almost nothing in KEANEY blue. Almost everything is in white and navy. 80% of the apparell should be in Keaney blue.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You would think there are enough marketing majors at URI to try and change the status quo there....

somebody go wake the athletic dept. up, and get this started.....

there's money to be made, with a growing demand for our apparel I would think.....
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

NJ03 wrote: No vintage t shirts, nothing with the Ram logo, and most dissapointing almost nothing in KEANEY blue. Almost everything is in white and navy. 80% of the apparell should be in Keaney blue.
KEANEY BLUE
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anybody ever go into one of those hat and or sports apparel stores that you see in every mall in America?

"Lids", etc? Try and find authentic URI hats and other gear.......

Good luck.....
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

I think I saw more URI hats in Seoul, South Korea two summers ago than I did in the R.I. this year…….That's true...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Compare URI's "marketing" to UConn's.

Living in CT. their stuff is EVERYWHERE.

I realize the difference between their success and ours, but they do a GREAT job of pushing their stuff out there.

Somebody in our marketing dept. needs to ask their counterparts in CT. how much money can be made for the school with a coordinated advertising effort to promote their products.

URI will never approach their level of course, but geeze, try a little please?
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Agree with the discussion - hats are horrible!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

When we switched from Nike to Adidas, there was a huge online auction where they had all sorts of Nike apparel. Game jerseys, shirts, shorts, pants, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and this all ties into having a "branded" font ala Uconn

come on marketing people.. this isnt rocket science
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Another voice agreeing with what you guys are saying. It appears that Adidas offers 14 different varieties of URI baseball style hats, but not one is the on field hat for the baseball team. The baseball team and soccer team both have some pretty nice jerseys, but of course you can't get anything close to that.

Apparel isn't just a way for the athletic department to get money, though that's nice. And it's not just a way for fans to show their pride, though we do it. Perhaps the most important function of apparel is to advertise the university to the community. Having as many people as possible walk around in URI or just plain Rhode Island clothing shows the population of the state that URI is something people care about. And we've had a problem forever with our apparel. We don't sell enough apparel to have the best types of apparel available to us as fans and because we don't have the best apparel available to us we don't buy and wear as much apparel as we'd like.

It's imperative that we break that spiral, especially as our basketball team continues to rise. If we can't get apparel in the most traditional ways, perhaps the athletic department should look to add a merchandise coordinator to the equipment room. This person could take orders from fans and place them with our suppliers when they order merchandise for the team. This would be a way for fans to get the apparel they desire with no risk of unsold merchandise and the only expense being the salary of an entry level employee. And I know the department has done something similar on a smaller scale, because sometime around 2006 or 07 I believe the baseball team did this as a way for fans to buy on field hats.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And I'd like to point out another huge issue while I'm at it. When you go to gorhody.com and click on shop, you get taken to this page: http://ramszone.uri.edu/home.aspx It's frankly a terribly dated looking website and it can be difficult to find the things you're looking for, though it's better organized then it used to be.

Now here's what you get when you do the same thing for Bryant: http://www.bryantgear.com/

PC: http://shop.friars.com/

And finally Brown: http://shop.brownbears.com/

All three have more professional looking web platforms that seem to make it easier to find what you're looking for.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:And I'd like to point out another huge issue while I'm at it. When you go to gorhody.com and click on shop, you get taken to this page: http://ramszone.uri.edu/home.aspx It's frankly a terribly dated looking website and it can be difficult to find the things you're looking for, though it's better organized then it used to be.

Now here's what you get when you do the same thing for Bryant: http://www.bryantgear.com/

PC: http://shop.friars.com/

And finally Brown: http://shop.brownbears.com/

All three have more professional looking web platforms that seem to make it easier to find what you're looking for.

I have always said that website looks old and outdated.
0 x
Go Rhody
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

On the topic of their website, I've noticed they use the same exact website layout as any D2 team.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I noticed both Brown and PC use the Fanatics platform. I can't tell if Bryant does as well.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The women's selection at the bookstore is embarrassing. It's booty shorts or a tween size tshirt. I saw one Under Armour pullover, but it was a dark gray color and you could hardly tell it was for RI. If I want to buy a tshirt, I have to get a men's shirt that obviously does NOT fit well. I also don't want to wear a baggy sweatshirt to a basketball game. I'd like a nice pullover--in Keaney Blue or white with the RI logo. Women's fit.

Two years ago in the RC Fan Zone store, I bought an Adidas camo print hat with the RI logo on the front. I've actually gotten a lot of compliments on it when I wear it to the beach or on a rainy weekend day.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Have any of you checked out University Spirit in the Emporium? Their selection is obviously more limited then the bookstore but I like their hats better then any other ones I've found. And browsing in there gives you something to do while waiting for your cheesy tater tots from Albie's.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Last year I ordered a couple of shirts from an outside vendor for my wife and myself. While they weren't bad in quality the sizes were way off and we had to send them both back. You must buy at least a size larger for both men and women. The prices were moderate compared to the Zone.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Can someone draft a well organized letter to Thorr ?

I would but I'm not capable.. Haha

We all have school pride and this should be addressed
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

During Harrick's short stint here, many of us went to Elmwood Sports. They can obtain and or replicate anything from Addidas; and reasonably priced I might add.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It sounds like this is a decision the university has to look at on the whole. I wonder when the last time they did the contract was? Personally, I'd prefer one that provided a wide variety of looks, styles and options when it came to apparel, even if it meant the university got a lower cut from the sales. Like, sacrifice some of the cut from the sale if it means that it's going to be easier to get t-shirts on store shelves throughout the state. Whereas in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if URI was more concerned with protecting sales at the bookstore, pro shop and other university outlets.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I totally agree. I have URI apparel but it has been difficult to accumulate. I have a dark blue sweat outfit. The color of the pants isn't an exact match to the jacket. I go to a lot of mbb games. I go in the shop every game trying to spend money and can't find anything. It seems to have become worse over the last few years. When did gray become our official color and what happen to putting a real logo on shirts?

I went early one game to go to the bookstore. I live in MA so getting there before 5:00 isnt easy. I buy a pair of gray sweats that I finally found. I go home put them on the next day and both pockets have holes in them :). Another trip back to return them and they dont have any more in my size. To top it off they have to get the Manager to see if they will take the return.

My two Rhody bball shirts are wearing out (I actually have one in keaney blue). I am looking to buy stuff now.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The gorhody website is bad the heading and side buttons are static and move into wording as you move down any page. Checkout the background on the mbb home page. It had two players that transferred out the end of last season.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Well, it's safe to say that I struck a chord with all of you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! I'm extremely busy right now, but I think when I find a minute that I will attempt to draft a letter to Thorr and see what he has to say about the suggestions put forward. I'll post the drafted letter here and let you guys know when or if I receive a response.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Oregon is a perfect example of how strong visual ID and branding can elevate an entire program and institution -- granted they have Phil Knight and NIKE behind it, and we dont, but the point being are that things like apparel and merch are hugely valuable in building the URI brand. All ships rise.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I actually think that combined, those sites provide a good amount of legit apparel.

Also, that winter hat on Lids is pretty nice. Seems like those winter hats are a new style and just got released for most big schools.

EDIT: Just bought the winter hat.
0 x
Go Rhody
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Well, I took some extra time and drafted a letter and sent it off to Thorr. If you guys are interested in seeing the draft let me know, but I tried to cover most of what was being discussed here.

I will keep you posted if he does end up reaching out to me.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thank you
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Alright guys, so I'm happy to say that Thorr got back to me already after my email went out to him around 5:30 yesterday. Here was my original email...

"Hello Mr. Bjorn,

I would just like to start this email by telling you that I couldn’t be more thrilled with the job that you have done as the AD of the URI program. It’s amazing to see the progress that can be made when the right, caring person takes their responsibilities seriously. Thank you for staying with our University and continuing to lead us in the direction that all students and alumni desire.

As I’m sure you know, there are several loyal fans, young and old, who contribute on a blog on keaneyblue.com. I generally am more of a reader than a contributor, but I brought up a topic the other day that I really feel strongly about, and quickly realized that I am not the only Rhody fan to feel that way. The topic was regarding the apparel that is currently offered for purchase both online and on campus. Every year before Christmas I look if there are any new-must have Ram items and I always seem to be let down. I think with the resurgence of the basketball program there is a major opportunity that is being missed here by the school to not only make money, but to get more people representing URI off campus, and create an interest in the university.

There are a few items that certainly stand out. First, there is an interest from fans to have the gear that the players and coaches are wearing including, but not limited to the jerseys the players wear, warm ups, and polos that the coaches have worn in the past. Is this because the items in question are sponsored by Adidas and are only strictly available to coaches and players? Several people including myself have attempted to purchase the same baseball hat that our players wear on the field and it is not available anywhere. The hat selection right now really does not appeal to the younger generation or college students who are all interested in something with a straight brim. The items that are currently available for most women would only be attractive to older women aside from a sweatshirt or some sweatpants. Lastly, the actual website http://ramszone.uri.edu/home.aspx is extremely dated compared the other college programs in the state who have sites with much sleeker, modernized looks.

I’m sorry if this may come off as insulting, but I truly have the program (specifically the growth of the program) in my best interest. I think there is a huge opportunity currently being missed here. Most of the items currently online are identical to the items that were there when I graduated in 2008. I think some bold new concepts would go a long way. Let’s accentuate the Ram as our mascot. Print shirts with larger, more bold writing that includes the keaney blue color. Market the latest slogans of the program (i.e. RISE). Leggings for women have never been offered, but would quickly fly off of the shelves. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I have ever seen a large magnetic decal that could easily be slapped on the back of someone’s car as they drive across the state to head to a game, in turn raising more awareness into the university.

I have several ideas and the other bloggers do as well, but this is definitely something that is frustrating the fan base. One person even wrote “I go in the shop (at the Ryan Center) before every game trying to spend money and can’t find anything.” That statement really stuck out to me because you have someone willing to spend money to represent the university and they simply walk out of the door because they are let down by the offerings.

The athletic program has invested more into the basketball program, and an inspiring coach like Dan Hurley than I can remember in recent history. Our facilities are beautiful, the product on the court is on the rise, and we’re being recognized nationally by recruits and major sports networks. I think to invest in newer apparel that gets us away from being “the same old URI” would be the next best investment. There would be walking billboards representing the university all across Rhode Island, and who knows, maybe pick up the next crop of young fans along the way.

If you wouldn’t mind getting back to me with some of your thoughts I would really appreciate it. Again, this is a unified message from your most passionate basketball fans and is only meant for the intentions of continuing to drive this program to the next level.

Thank you for your time in reading this email, and GO RHODY!

Here was the response that I received back last night from Thorr...

"Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the email. We have actually been talking internally about our online bookstore and are focused on coming up with a solution to this very important aspect of our fan experience. Our Assistant AD for Marketing Ryan Majercik is spearheading this for us.

Thanks so much.

Thor
r"
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We should invite Ryan Majercik here for this discussion. There a lot of good thoughts that might give Ryan some ideas. Does anybody know how to contact Ryan?
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Ryan and a handful of others were included on Thorr's response back to me. I addressed Ryan directly and told him that if he would like to hear some feedback that he could email me directly. His email address is on the athletic department directory online, rmajercik@uri.edu.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

MegaRam, that was a terrific letter. Thanks for bringing it up. Even us older fans (my wife and I are 62) are disappointed my the apparel choices.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=568E3A8C

"We are up and running although we will be hosting a grand opening on November 7th!"
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Way to go Steve....I will be following up on my baseball hat.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:We should invite Ryan Majercik here for this discussion. There a lot of good thoughts that might give Ryan some ideas. Does anybody know how to contact Ryan?
I reached out to Ryan earlier today. I don't know if he will post here or not, but I did send him the link to the thread and suggested he read it to at least get an idea of what the fans think the issues are and what they are looking for. I think that would be helpful for him as he puts his plans together. Keep in mind he is still very new and none of this is his doing, and that URI specializes in red tape sometimes. So hopefully he is up to the challenge.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011