URI Apparel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bacarlson21
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: URI Apparel

Unread post by bacarlson21 »

When is the Adidas contract up? Apparel needs to be a big part of the next contract. Should URI move to Nike or Under Armour I think you would see a big upgrade in apparel. Temple just signed a 10 year $30 million deal with Under Armour and as part of the contract Under Armour is opening a store on the Temple campus. Something like that would be great for URI.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can we get an unauthorized tee in Keaney blue with shot of the core four (like the Keaney blue header) and #Rhodeblock supered over them. Someone more creative can do better but that gets closer to Havoc style branding. Hopefully Ed o'bannon doesn't find out.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bacarlson21 wrote:When is the Adidas contract up? Apparel needs to be a big part of the next contract. Should URI move to Nike or Under Armour I think you would see a big upgrade in apparel. Temple just signed a 10 year $30 million deal with Under Armour and as part of the contract Under Armour is opening a store on the Temple campus. Something like that would be great for URI.
At least the basketball part of the contract is June 30th. Not sure about the athletic department as a whole, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's June 30th as well.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wisconsin just ditched adidas for Under Armor.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... year-deal/
0 x
RyanMajercik
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by RyanMajercik »

Thank you all for your feedback about the online store and the Rams Zone in the Ryan Center. I am fairly new to URI (since July) but agree that this is an area that needs improvement. As mentioned in Thorr’s response to Steve, we are already evaluating ways to improve the availability and selection of merchandise.

Since we’re still working on a solution, the only information I really have to share at this point is some of the background behind the current situation. There are a few dynamics that affect our existing selection of merchandise, the largest of which is our licensing structure. The athletic department does not manage the university’s licensing program. Many large (Power 5) schools place licensing/brand management oversight in the athletic department because of the exposure that athletics generates for the university as a whole. A growing number of other D1 schools are moving that direction as well, but it’s still fairly common for a school the size of URI to have its licensing program managed outside of the athletic department. In our case, the bookstore is charged with reviewing all designs of URI merchandise and ultimately deciding whether to approve a product/design for sale at the bookstore or elsewhere. The bookstore also holds the rights to both the online store and the Rams Zone as part of a longstanding partnership with athletics. Since athletics does not have the authority to decide what individual products/designs are allowed to be produced and sold by retailers, the selection of merchandise you see on our store and at games is to a large extent beyond the control of the athletic department. We are certainly able to provide some input on how we want our logos used and our brand portrayed on merchandise in general, but we are not involved in the day-to-day, final decisions because of how the contract was set-up between the university and our national licensing agency.

There are potential solutions that would give athletics greater input and decision making authority regarding the use of our own logo on the sale of products at our own athletic events and on our own website. They require collaboration with a number of organizations on campus and with merchandise suppliers and vendors, but we are beginning to work through some options. In the meantime, I’d encourage you to feel free to shop around other online sites aside from the store on GoRhody.com (a few have already been posted). I’d be particularly interested in the group’s feedback on the selection and functionality at both http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Rhode_Island_Rams and http://www.collegefangear.com/rhode_island_rams. I know that does not present any immediate alternatives, but hope it sheds some light on why our merchandise options are the way they are for the time being.

Thanks for your thoughts and GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RyanMajercik wrote:Thank you all for your feedback about the online store and the Rams Zone in the Ryan Center. I am fairly new to URI (since July) but agree that this is an area that needs improvement. As mentioned in Thorr’s response to Steve, we are already evaluating ways to improve the availability and selection of merchandise.

Since we’re still working on a solution, the only information I really have to share at this point is some of the background behind the current situation. There are a few dynamics that affect our existing selection of merchandise, the largest of which is our licensing structure. The athletic department does not manage the university’s licensing program. Many large (Power 5) schools place licensing/brand management oversight in the athletic department because of the exposure that athletics generates for the university as a whole. A growing number of other D1 schools are moving that direction as well, but it’s still fairly common for a school the size of URI to have its licensing program managed outside of the athletic department. In our case, the bookstore is charged with reviewing all designs of URI merchandise and ultimately deciding whether to approve a product/design for sale at the bookstore or elsewhere. The bookstore also holds the rights to both the online store and the Rams Zone as part of a longstanding partnership with athletics. Since athletics does not have the authority to decide what individual products/designs are allowed to be produced and sold by retailers, the selection of merchandise you see on our store and at games is to a large extent beyond the control of the athletic department. We are certainly able to provide some input on how we want our logos used and our brand portrayed on merchandise in general, but we are not involved in the day-to-day, final decisions because of how the contract was set-up between the university and our national licensing agency.

There are potential solutions that would give athletics greater input and decision making authority regarding the use of our own logo on the sale of products at our own athletic events and on our own website. They require collaboration with a number of organizations on campus and with merchandise suppliers and vendors, but we are beginning to work through some options. In the meantime, I’d encourage you to feel free to shop around other online sites aside from the store on GoRhody.com (a few have already been posted). I’d be particularly interested in the group’s feedback on the selection and functionality at both http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Rhode_Island_Rams and http://www.collegefangear.com/rhode_island_rams. I know that does not present any immediate alternatives, but hope it sheds some light on why our merchandise options are the way they are for the time being.

Sounds like the bookstore needs to be fired.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RyanMajercik wrote:Thank you all for your feedback about the online store and the Rams Zone in the Ryan Center. I am fairly new to URI (since July) but agree that this is an area that needs improvement. As mentioned in Thorr’s response to Steve, we are already evaluating ways to improve the availability and selection of merchandise.

Ryan, thanks for coming on and giving us some of the background. The continuing willingness of the athletic department to engage with fans in general, and this board in particular, is much appreciated.

I think this is all good to know. I actually spoke with someone the other day who mentioned the bookstore was responsible for merchandising, so it's nice to have that confirmed. As you may have come to find out already, sometimes things at URI can be a little...um...old fashioned. So hopefully the people at the bookstore have expressed interest in working with athletics in giving you guys what you need to raise the profile of the sports teams, as that benefits the whole university. If there is anything we can do in terms of reaching out to people or making our voices heard with people outside of athletics, I think you will find that many here would be eager to help if they know where to direct their energy.

Welcome to URI and best of luck. Please come by any time you want to clarify something, get some information out there or solicit feedback.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ryan, I have to echo everything True Point just said. As for the websites you mentioned, I've been a long time customer of fanatics.com and find their functionality and customer service to be outstanding and they have a very good selection. I'd never heard of collegefangear.com until you mentioned it, but their selection seems to be the best around, though I only had a minute to browse.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Welcome to Rhody, Ryan. You've come on at a great time....exciting time to be a Rhody fan!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

As we move forward, remember.. It's about quality of products more than quantity..
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I just bought some more gear from a site I have used in the past. They are presently having a sale along with free shipping right now.

URI Apparel and Gear Page:

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Rhode_Island_Rams
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I just bought some more gear from a site I have used in the past. They are presently having a sale along with free shipping right now.

I think we should all buy those game bib overalls (page 2) and wear them to the games.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I want the baseball teams hat.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

RF1 wrote:I just bought some more gear from a site I have used in the past. They are presently having a sale along with free shipping right now.

Have you had a problem with sizing? Last year I purchased 2 Shirts for my wife and 2 for me, and all but one had to be sent back.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Wow the selection on collegefangear.com is incredible but pricey. Has anyone bought URI gear from this site? Is it quality?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RAM67 wrote:

Have you had a problem with sizing? Last year I purchased 2 Shirts for my wife and 2 for me, and all but one had to be sent back.

Sizing was not an issue for me. Perhaps it was just that item or manufacturer. Clothing sizes are unfortunately anything but uniform. There is no universal standard.
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Good post, can't thank the powers that be for addressing this issue with the fans! Brings me back to high school in the late 90's searching all over for a pair of rhody basketball shorts, to no avail. Id be thrilled to find a keaney blue hat with the ram logo, i have this in a winter knit style, but would kill for a regular baseball cap.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There is also this (mostly for hats, though they do have some other gear):

http://www.lids.com/NCAA/Rhode-Island-Rams
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I want the straight brim hat on this site but they only have 2 sizes left. I need a 7 1/2. I am going to go to lids at the Providence mall to see if I can have it custom made.

http://www.lids.com/NCAA/Rhode-Island-Rams
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, nobody's with me on those bib overalls?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Somebody suggested throwback jerseys in the Odom thread......

No 5 late 90's Harrick era throwbacks would be leaping off the shelves right now!

Heck I normally don't go for anything with a name on the back but I might even buy one!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two thoughts on the subject:
1) We should all write a letter or email to the Office of the University President. He must have control over the bookstore. Let him know our frustration as alumni with the apparel choices of the bookstore for both in store and online purchases. We should stress our desire to see this responsibility turned over to the Athletic Dept. We are proud of the University and want to help promote URI with our apparel.
2) Consider having a petition for alumni, students and fans to sign entering the games which would then be mailed to the President. The petition would carry the same message - improve the apparel so we can show our support and the university can increase revenue.

I have had size issues purchssing sports apparel online in general (not URI apparel). I prefer to buy in store to try it on or for an easier return. I am going to buy online from the two sites recommended above. No other real option. Go Rhody!
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I agree with you 83, on both ideas. It's very evident that the athletic department would be willing to listen to suggestions and make some changes, but are being handcuffed by the bookstore. A petition would be excellent. I wish I were a student who could camp out at the entrance of the cafeteria and get signatures as the students came into the building!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It looks like they recently redid the online store. Not sure if the selection was improved, but the ability to find what you're looking for seems like it should be much better.

http://ramszone.uri.edu/home.aspx
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

You can get a Xavier Munford Grizzly jersey tho!

See just posted tweet by @RhodyRampage
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This looks like a good one for a few of us here, including myself.

https://teechip.com/uri-1m#id=4&c=1C203 ... ie&s=front
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

:)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

According to the ProJo article on Hurley's one year extension, we also signed a one year extension with adidas. At least when it comes to the basketball program, our deal with them now expires June 30, 2017.

"One other provision addressed in Hurley’s first extension – URI’s school-wide shoe and apparel deal with adidas – will now remain in effect through June 30, 2017. The Rams activated a one-year extension with adidas in light of their elevation to the brand’s premier college basketball programs, receiving funding and merchandise on par with bluebloods like Kansas, Louisville and more."
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Good job to the person who scooped this weeks ago !

Let's get sone sweet new apparel !

RHODY PRIDE
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

So I get emails from Groupon almost everyday telling me about sweet NCAA gear. Unfortunately URI is not one of the teams that can be selected for the gear. If anyone from the school is reading this, I would love to have some URI versions of the following things:

https://www.groupon.com/browse/providen ... cale=en_US

My mancave has plenty of star wars, game of thrones, patriots, and video game memorabilia... it desperately needs URI stuff to make it complete.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not sure what happened, but it looks like URI isn't listed on collegefangear.com anymore.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does anyone know if URI still has that vintage clothing auction on GoRhody? I've been looking for vintage basketball gear and I remember they would auction off old jerseys, shorts ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I thought they used to send out an email before they released items and I can't remember getting an email in years.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I'd like a crack at some vintage stuff too! The URI yard sale used to feature some donations from athletic dept I think but hadn't seen in years and at least for now the yard sale isn't happening.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ryan has left the athletic department and is at Alabama now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When did he leave? And has a replacement been named?
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I have a background in sportswear retail buying... I'd kill for a gig doing that at URI. Seems like the bookstore's buying team is a bit out of touch with what people want in terms of apparel.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I won't lie, uri apparel is a 10 right now. The store at the Ryan center was packed this season. Great stuff. Best colors in the NCAA.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:When did he leave? And has a replacement been named?
Based on Twitter it was this week
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Was not impressed with the Bookstore stuff -- would love to be able to get a good cotton shirt with a collar. The synthetics make me sweat.

BTW, University Spirit has always had better stuff than.the Bookstore.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I still go to University Spirit for my hats. Ideally the bookstore would carry the official hats of the baseball team, but they only carry snap backs. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for a cheap product, I'll buy a fitted hat elsewhere instead.
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

searched to no avail, i have a sweet winter knit hat in keaney blue with the ram logo on it, can't recall where i came across it but is it to much to ask to have a baseball cap of the same design...
0 x
Hellenga_for_3
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Hellenga_for_3 »

It would be great if the baseball jerseys were available for purchase. Like most other URI apparel, it is way to hard to come by.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I just saw this weekend the official baseball hats are on sale at the book store.

If we could buy last year's baseball jerseys I'd be all in. This year's jerseys are ugly.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I still go to University Spirit for my hats. Ideally the bookstore would carry the official hats of the baseball team, but they only carry snap backs. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for a cheap product, I'll buy a fitted hat elsewhere instead.

I got a fitted (sized S/M/L/XL) Keaney Blue cap with white RI log on the front at the Ryan Center shop at the Dartmouth game back in November.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x