Frank Carpano and WJAR hate URI hoops

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Frank Carpano and WJAR hate URI hoops

Unread post by RF1 »

Three of the four RI D1 teams had home games yesterday (all won) and WJAR-10 had video footage of each one. Frank Carpano interestingly however chose to mention the attendance for just one of the three by stating that there was an "announced" crowd of 4,126 at the Ryan Center to see the UVM-URI game. Why was it relevant for Carpano to mention the attendance for just the URI game and why was the term "announced" used?

I really hate WJAR-10. They very much seem like they have a vendetta against the URI hoops program as they take every opportunity to dis it.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Re: Frank Carpano and WJAR hate URI hoops

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I think you are reading a little into it.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

With all due respect SeanMc, with so many observations of biased local coverage, its hard not to read into these things. WJAR is the worst of the locals in terms of their outright bias against URI, but watch them start licking Ram ass as we ascend to dominate college ball in the northeast, I can't wait for all the local yocal media dorks to come slithering out of the rotten wood that is the crumbling big east and suck down all the Rhody madness....
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I think we all know where Friar Frank is coming from.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Friar frank, when doing his very difficult job of sports anchor last Sunday night, told all the lemmings that continue to watch channel 10 that URI won their first game against ALABAMA. What an idiot.

I don't think that Joe Kayata guy is as bad or biased as Frank. Can't wait for Frank to fade away to retirement.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The lead on this moring's WJAR news was ,"PC begining the Big East competition".
They don't have a clue. PC played MSU, whioch is in the SEC. Of course,
no mention of URI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, Frank seems like is guido d-bag(one is not synonymous with the other, just with this guy). Regardless of any comments made lately, I've never been a fan of the guy.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've never understood how Carpano got a job doing sports. He knows nothing about them. A lot of the local sports guys have been bad over the years, but Carpano is the worst.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:I've never understood how Carpano got a job doing sports. He knows nothing about them. A lot of the local sports guys have been bad over the years, but Carpano is the worst.
He knew somebody who knew somebody. AAAAAA! Dis is Rhodiland!

(I actually have no idea how he got the job)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If he wasn't Italian, would you be referring to him as a
"guido"???????
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

He's a relic. Honestly, the only people I know who regularly (religiously?) watch WJAR are well over 55yrs old. I think channel 10 is still riding on the fact that they were "first" on the air in Rhode Island, so many of that older generation go to channel 10 on their TVs out of a deep-rooted habitual reflex.

I think, and hope, that channel 10's ride on that wave will soon end. They certainly don't deserve to be #1 in this market (in ratings, certainly not in quality).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I usually watch 12, and their sports guy is the one who mentioned Bullock signing with PC on
LOI day, completely ignoring us signing Martin and Matthews, so they're no better.
10 is still number one, despite CBS having a massive ratings advantage over the
lousy NBC programming.
I think 10 has the advantage at 11:00, with Leno over Letterman.
Probably the least biased guy is Ken Bell on 6.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Isn't Fryuh Frank still Pee-C's public-address announcer at the Dunkin' Dump? He was for many years. Talk about conflict of interest.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

RF1 wrote:I really hate WJAR-10. They very much seem like they have a vendetta against the URI hoops program as they take every opportunity to dis it.
While in general I enjoy watching the news on WJAR-10, I agree with RF1's assessment that Frank Carpano seems to take every opportunity to dis Rhody hoops.

It is unclear whether the less-than-subtle shots that Carpano takes at Rhody hoops are the result of small-market ineptitude or the result of Friar Frank's own small-minded vindictiveness.

In any case, given Carpano's position in the Channel 10 hierarchy (he is the sports director of NBC 10 Sports, and is also the weekend news anchor), it would seem that the Carpano's on-air behavior towards URI falls far short of his employer's slogan of "Coverage You Trust".

While Carpano's dismissive attitude towards URI has gone on for over a decade, it has been bothering me more this season. Earlier this year, back in May 2012, WJAR partnered with Cox Communications to launch Ocean State Networks (OSN). OSN now airs NBC 10 newscasts throughout the day and night, as well as being the vehicle for Cox Sports programming, which includes live collegiate sports events, most notably the Rhode Island Rams and the Providence Friars.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Isn't Fryuh Frank still Pee-C's public-address announcer at the Dunkin' Dump? He was for many years. Talk about conflict of interest.
How exactly is it a conflict of interest?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Duh! Because part of his salary comes from a PC run event.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

So on air personalities can't moonlight? Does it hurt his ability to read a TelePrompTer?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

it hurts his ability to report news in an unbiased manner, yes that is pretty plain to see even for someone of your IQ...further since he is the sports director at the channel he is not only reading lines, but also dictating how they will cover sports and what they will cover. just another blind defense of anything PC to not recognize how that is compromised.

and only in RI would that happen, he's a mediocre hack who would be off the air in any major market.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Got to go with Gary Ley for the weather...I believe he went to Rhody
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Roz wrote:Got to go with Gary Ley for the weather...I believe he went to Rhody
Meteorologist is just a fancy word for liar. They're all terrible. That, and Gary is one of the most stuck up dicks I've ever had the mispleasure of meeting. You're a crappy meteorologist on the 2nd or 3rd best news program in a small TV market. Get over yourself, bro.

It is hilarious how we've gotten more national media attention than local attention since the Hurley hire. I have a feeling that within the next 2 years local TV and the projo will be BEGGING to be a part of URI hoops, and trying to squeeze in to get space between the national outlets.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gary Ley is a nice guy, who loves Rhody sports.
He went to Penn State.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:Gary Ley is a nice guy, who loves Rhody sports.
He went to Penn State.
When I was a kid his season tix were right behind mine - back when URI used to play at the PCC. He's definitely a huge Rhody fan.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gary Ley is a big time Rhody fan. PennState is one of the best places for meteorology. Good for him turning that degree into a great career on TV.

I just wish he wouldn't always leave EVERY rhody game 5 minutes early. Just looks bad sometimes.

I think his daughter attended URI.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:it hurts his ability to report news in an unbiased manner, yes that is pretty plain to see even for someone of your IQ...further since he is the sports director at the channel he is not only reading lines, but also dictating how they will cover sports and what they will cover. just another blind defense of anything PC to not recognize how that is compromised.

and only in RI would that happen, he's a mediocre hack who would be off the air in any major market.
Absolutely this. Come on Sean. He DIRECTS the channel's coverage of local sports, but outside the studio he's doing Friars PA?

If he wasn't so obviously slanted, we could say it's not a problem. But because his station's sports coverage is biased, you cannot discount the conflict of having him direct news coverage and call PA at the Dunk.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'd buy your argument if wjar had slanted coverage vs the other channels; but that's not the case. The reality is, not enough viewers care about Rhody hoops. If they did, the media would cover it. Watch how it changes over the next few years as Hurley ramps up.

There was solid coverage during penders and Harricks run
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gary Ley sits in section 205, he's always there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:I'd buy your argument if wjar had slanted coverage vs the other channels; but that's not the case. The reality is, not enough viewers care about Rhody hoops. If they did, the media would cover it. Watch how it changes over the next few years as Hurley ramps up.

Maybe viewers would care more if the media did cover them? Why don't we give that a try???
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:I'd buy your argument if wjar had slanted coverage vs the other channels; but that's not the case. The reality is, not enough viewers care about Rhody hoops. If they did, the media would cover it. Watch how it changes over the next few years as Hurley ramps up.

The team URI had in the mid to late 70s was arguably the best team they've ever had. The local media ignored them during that time also, as did the RI government...
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:If he wasn't Italian, would you be referring to him as a
"guido"???????
Really???....NO.
Look it up. I wouldn't call an Irish guy a "guido". That would make no sense at all. Seriously??? Get off the soap box.
Just like if the guy was Irish, like myself, I could refer to him as a Mick. Just like if I was talking about a horse I'd refer to it as a horse or a Mare or a thoroughbred and not a cow. I wouldn't call an apple an orange or a chicken a turkey either.
So, once again....NO...I would not refer to him as a guido if he wasn't Italian. That would be dumb.
Also if you read the post properly I stated that being guido is not synonymous with being a d-bag.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it aint so Friar Frank Carpano !!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oh, it's so, reef. It's definitely so.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Carpano's mention of the attendance and use of the term "announced" for just the URI game (no mention of this topic for either the PC or Bryant home games) was just another gratuitous slap at URI basketball by WJAR. Carpano always has some negative comments and WJAR is also the station that had the Taricani yellow journalism piece on Baron's salary which was portrayed as if most of it was taxpayer monies. It seems to be a concerted effort by station management. I sometimes wonder if they do it all for ratings as many Rhode Islanders have a negative attitude toward public higher education. Are they pandering to the ignorant masses?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, pal. Ethnic slurs have no place on this site.
If that's being on a soapbox, too bad.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Lighten up Francis; guido is hardly a slur.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I have to agree with Rod here. A guido is someone like the guys on jersey shore. Carpano isn't a guido, he's just a biased sportscaster. He can be an ass with some of his comments, they are clearly slights against the program at times. But the guy is a well spoken well dressed professional.

I never used to care about this stuff, being an FBI myself, but the older I get the more I see things like Rod here. The Political Correctness of this world applies to every race and nationality it sometimes seems, except Italians who are fair game for whatever lewd adjective someone can think of and we are supposed to ignore it. It needs to be one way or the other, either everyone is fair game, including African Americans or no one is.

As for Carpano, simply being Italian doesn't make someone a guido. He has his hair slicked back sure, but for someone like me who has no hair, I say he's entitled to do whatever he wants with it. He's not wearing five gold chains, a muscle shirt, and talking with a heavy Joe Pesci like accent, and talking filth, he's hardly a guido. That's a word that should only be used in an exteme instance for someone who really tries hard to fit the description, else it's just an insult to everyone. And then, it's probably better to not.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Only in Rhode Island could taking money from an organization you're supposed to cover not be a conflict of interest.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Only in Rhode Island could taking money from an organization you're supposed to cover not be a conflict of interest.
That's called "an honest day's work" around these parts. :roll:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sean Mc, sure sounds like he must be Irish to me.
Maybe guido isn't a slur to you, but it is to me and
a lot of my fellow Italians/Sicilians.
So, it's OK to try to call Crapano that? Why? Simply because he's Italian?
That's just moronic small minded thinking.
How about going on the Hill and saying that to somebody Italian.
It's not a slur, after all, right? Should be just A OK to throw that
around. Right?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

guido is a racial slur. no ifs ands or butts about it. shows like sopranos and jersey shore have made making fun of italians the en vogue thing to do, the problem is most of the blame lies on fellow italians who think its cool to be labeled in this way, but for many its not. just because black people routinely use the N word to speak with/about each other it does not give a white person the right to do the same. if you think it does go to south providence and give it a shot.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I had a partner whose name was Guido, but preferred to be called by his middle name which was Michael, but when he needed to use his full name, he pronounced it Gido as in "eye" without the use of the u. As a kid growing up in Providence we always used the slang pronounciation. Smith Hill vs Federal Hill.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100% BAR.
It started with the Godfather.
Suddenly everyone was a wannabe Mafioso.
Then the Sopranos.
Watching Boardwalk Empire and hearing Steve Buschemi as Nucky Thompson
using the most ugly jokes and slurs regarding his Italian mob competition.
Now we have the lowlives from Jersey Shore on MTV, and the idiots who want to be like them.
Funny, Jews don't put up with that garbage. They have the JADL that
slaps anyone down, who tries slurring their people.
Too many Italians, foster those stereotypes, which leads to
people like those here, who think it's just fine to do the same.
It's not!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Channel 12 isn't any better. to night they had a story on with the 2 logos at the begining and the whole story was about PC. They did mention who PC was playing.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Well, that was nice of them.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

we have to make them pay attention, we will, in time.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bottom line is we need to beat PC.

...starting now.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Joe Rocco was my favortie Channel 10 sports guy. He was fun to listen to.

You have to remember these guys don't make very much money at all. I'd be surprised if Carpano makes 6 figures. The local stations don't pay that much $$$ therefore they can't keep talent around. If anyone is good, they usually leave to bigger and brighter pastures. I actually think Matt Lauer was on a local news station when he was first coming up.

I agree Carpano is 100% pro-PC. It sucks, but if URI starts putting up wins, who cares?? He can do all he wants, it won't bother me if Rhody is winning games.

Also, don't get me started on Jim Taricani, I ran into him a couple years ago right after he did that hatchet-job of URI hoops when we were Top 25 for a brief period. I had to leave the store becaus I thought I was going to knock him out.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URIGONZO wrote:Joe Rocco was my favortie Channel 10 sports guy. He was fun to listen to.

You have to remember these guys don't make very much money at all. I'd be surprised if Carpano makes 6 figures. The local stations don't pay that much $$$ therefore they can't keep talent around. If anyone is good, they usually leave to bigger and brighter pastures. I actually think Matt Lauer was on a local news station when he was first coming up.

I agree Carpano is 100% pro-PC. It sucks, but if URI starts putting up wins, who cares?? He can do all he wants, it won't bother me if Rhody is winning games.

Also, don't get me started on Jim Taricani, I ran into him a couple years ago right after he did that hatchet-job of URI hoops when we were Top 25 for a brief period. I had to leave the store becaus I thought I was going to knock him out.
Mike Gorman started out on local news here. I believe it was channel 12. There have been some decent ones, but the ones they have now are horrible, and some of the horrible ones have been here for a long time.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URIGONZO wrote:Joe Rocco was my favortie Channel 10 sports guy. He was fun to listen to.

I'd be shocked if he makes six figures. I remember talking to a Sports Director for a network affiliate in Hartford awhile back and he said a local news sportscaster starts out at about $25k a year. They really dont make much at all. Obviously he is probably on the higher end at this point, but still...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The lovely Courtney Fallon bailed out of Ch6 on the first flight to South Florida.
Joe Rocco? I remember the entire Keaney Gym rocking to "ROCCO SUCKS!"
after he made some slighting on air comment.
Then there was Joe Zone on 10. He slammed us for playing Oregon State one year.
I wrote him a letter referring to him as Joe "Twilight" Zone, and he actually read it
on the air.
Don't even get me started on the Proj writers in the 60's-80's, who were biased.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Sorry Rod, I don't recall any of Rocco's particular bashes of URI. My point was that he was better than anyone they've had on there in a while.

Maybe we just have to realize that they've been biased against URI for a long time now, and that may never chage. But as I said before. If URI is winning, I don't give a rat's behind what Frank Carpano, Taricani or any of those idiots have to say.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.