2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: 2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Or you could look at it as "they pencil in a Big East and Ivy" and "URI pencils in a Big East and Ivy."

Those teams simply have a Temple from the AAC to add in. Would be nice if URI could get UCONN from the AAC to add on a yearly basis. Wishful thinking, I know.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Or you could look at it as "they pencil in a Big East and Ivy" and "URI pencils in a Big East and Ivy."

Those teams simply have a Temple from the AAC to add in. Would be nice if URI could get UCONN from the AAC to add on a yearly basis. Wishful thinking, I know.
Sure, PM3, you could look at it that way, but it would be missing the point. Very clearly, Penn>Brown and Villanova>PC. Not even factoring in the "plus Temple" factor. You get strength-of-schedule points based on individual teams, not what conference they play in.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Comparing PC to Nova?.... Wow.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah that was a stretch.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Does anybody know how many games we are still solidifying? We need somebody to rehash what we have currently set and what the potential rumors are for the remaining spots. I'm starting to lose track reading all these post.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

I think that the original post in this thread has been constantly updated to reflect the current nature of the schedule.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Correct, I have been updating the first post with every new bit of information.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Oh perfect, thanks guys!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

According to Birdman on twitter (anybody know who he is?), we're playing Holy Cross on the 17th or 18th, and are looking to fill it out with a H&H against a P5 school, with us going on the road this year.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

A quick check of the 2016/17 schedule posted on the Holy Cross men's basketball website does in fact list a game in Kingston, at noontime on Sunday, December 18th.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote:A quick check of the 2016/17 schedule posted on the Holy Cross men's basketball website does in fact list a game in Kingston, at noontime on Sunday, December 18th.
Here's the tweet...

Bird ‏@TheBirdmanJrJr · Jul 21
@RhodyMBB will host @HCrossMBB during middle of Dec. The 17th&18th potential dates. #Rhody OOC nearly done. @BillKoch25 @JonRothstein

And then this...

Hearing @RhodyMBB looking for H&H w/ high major/P5 school for last OOC game. Willing to play away in 16' @JonRothstein @KevinMcNamara33
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
reckless jake wrote:A quick check of the 2016/17 schedule posted on the Holy Cross men's basketball website does in fact list a game in Kingston, at noontime on Sunday, December 18th.
Here's the tweet...

@RhodyMBB will host @HCrossMBB during middle of Dec. The 17th&18th potential dates. #Rhody OOC nearly done. @BillKoch25 @JonRothstein

And then this...

Hearing @RhodyMBB looking for H&H w/ high major/P5 school for last OOC game. Willing to play away in 16' @JonRothstein @KevinMcNamara33
I can't imagine there are many high major/P5 schools still out there looking for a game (especially as part of an even 2 game H&H series) at this late juncture.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Maybe we can play an ACC team....give them the first home game...and then they can back out of our home game....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

About time we had some rumor back on this board.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

P5 home and home I like it !!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:P5 home and home I like it !!

It would be great if it were to happen. The tweet however indicated that Rhody WAS LOOKING for a P5 H&H. Given how late in the scheduling process we are, my thinking is it is not likely for this year. If not, perhaps URI can follow the lead of UMass and set such a thing up for later seasons.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

sf2010 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Or you could look at it as "they pencil in a Big East and Ivy" and "URI pencils in a Big East and Ivy."

Sure, PM3, you could look at it that way, but it would be missing the point. Very clearly, Penn>Brown and Villanova>PC. Not even factoring in the "plus Temple" factor. You get strength-of-schedule points based on individual teams, not what conference they play in.
I got your point. I realize the PC and Brown does not equal Nova and UPENN most years. But my point was that you classified teams that automatically get scheduled by "strength of team" while I was pointing out you could simply classify them by "what league they come from." Nothing more, nothing less.

Long live the Big Five.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The home game against Belmont will be played Friday, November 25th.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The home game against Belmont will be played Friday, November 25th.
That'll likely be the next game after the HOF tournament.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

The Belmont game is the Friday after thanksgiving. No students. However, if we win the hall of fame...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Belmont is usually decent not a bad opponent for the schedule
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The home game against Belmont will be played Friday, November 25th.

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-b ... 0728grkif8

Following the Thanksgiving holiday, Belmont travels to the Ocean State to face perennial Atlantic 10 Conference power Rhode Island. Led by E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin, the Rams have been tabbed Preseason Top 25 by virtually every national publication, including ESPN, Sports Illustrated, CBS Sports, and Yahoo. It marks the season straight season Belmont will face a team coached by a member of the Hurley family (Dan Hurley, Rhode Island; Bob Hurley, Arizona State).
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Interesting timing. Still no news about our final schedule..
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Can someone make a sticky with all the info (dates, locations and opponents) that we have so far?
This thread is rather lengthy.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

first post is being updated as new information comes out
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

looks like opening night is Nov 11, wouldn't be surprised if Dartmouth is that night (nothing confirmed just my thinking)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:looks like opening night is Nov 11, wouldn't be surprised if Dartmouth is that night (nothing confirmed just my thinking)
I believe you are correct, but haven't been able to confirm, so I haven't updated the first post.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I thought Marist would be the opening game because of how the HOF tourney works.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

looking at other teams schedules, they all start on Nov 11. I can't imagine waiting to start game until the 14th
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Plus if you can play an extra cupcake game before Cincinnati I'd think you'd pretty much have to do it. You want as much opportunity to knock the rust off for EC and Stan especially. Home games against Dartmouth, Marist and Brown before the Cincinnati game should give Dan the ideal way to balance getting everyone on the roster enough minutes to be ready for the Bearcats test while not being tired. Ideally at least two of the three games are such blowouts that your top guys aren't seeing more then 25 minutes or so.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah 3 games would be ideal.
And letting the freshmen get some good reps before those two big games in Uncasville.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... hoops-team
Another arbitrary top 25 list.

Medcalf chose Rex over Hass, because he's the longsnapper.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The breakdown from gorhody.com discussing our nonconference schedule

http://static.psbin.com/3/o/bdzzfsshswk ... akdown.pdf
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Some new information in that release. We now know the dates for Dartmouth, Valpo, and Old Dominion. All the times are set except for the road games against Valpo, PC and Houston. Like last year we can still add one more game. And finally this is the start of a three year series against Holy Cross. It doesn't say in the release, but I assume here this year, Worcester next year and back home the year after that.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I like that we are getting 2 for 1's with Holy Cross, means we don't have to pay a big sum to have them come to our building. The road game won't cost us much due to the proximity of the locations which will also allow URI fans in the Worcester area to see their team and we get two at home. It's a smart move by the organization.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

What jumps out at me with this schedule is that if they don't get the Duke matchup, they won't play one power conference team all year. I know those games are hard to get but you would of liked to see at least one or two on the slate.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well Penn State is a power conference team, just not a particularly great one.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Well Penn State is a power conference team, just not a particularly great one.
It'll be interesting to see how they are this year, since they've had two of their best recruiting classes in the last two cycles (#26 in 2016 and #43 in 2015 according to 247sports).
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Anything less than 10-2 would not be acceptable in my eyes. Probably anything less than 11-1 will be disappointing.
Lots of solid teams, but Duke and cinci are the only ones who can get into the dance as an at large. (Maybe Penn State too)
Not saying we have to beat Cinci or Duke to get in, but it'll be a bit more of a battle to get an at-large if we don't beat either team.
I mean, of course I think our only route to Duke is to beat Cinci.
That Cinci game is gonna be yuge!
Beat them and we take a big step up as a program.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Well Penn State is a power conference team, just not a particularly great one.
It'll be interesting to see how they are this year, since they've had two of their best recruiting classes in the last two cycles (#26 in 2016 and #43 in 2015 according to 247sports).[/quote

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13299
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:I like that we are getting 2 for 1's with Holy Cross, means we don't have to pay a big sum to have them come to our building. The road game won't cost us much due to the proximity of the locations which will also allow URI fans in the Worcester area to see their team and we get two at home. It's a smart move by the organization.

I would not mind the deal Umass got with Holy Cross - two home games (Mulins Center) with the Worcester game off the HC campus downtown in the DCU Center.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Would we have enough fans make the trip for it to be worthwhile to move the game to the DCU Center?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Would we have enough fans make the trip for it to be worthwhile to move the game to the DCU Center?
They have played other a10 schools such as Dayton and GMU there. they have played bc as well. none of those games drew well. it would not be a stretch to think rhody would do better.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

Hi everyone - hope you've had a great summer so far.

We are very excited to release our non-conference schedule for the 2016-17 season and, like last year, I'd like to open it up to any questions you might have about the process, the strategy, the teams, or scheduling in college basketball in general.

I'll answer everything as best I can - fire away.

-ML
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

mlaprey wrote:Hi everyone - hope you've had a great summer so far.

We are very excited to release our non-conference schedule for the 2016-17 season and, like last year, I'd like to open it up to any questions you might have about the process, the strategy, the teams, or scheduling in college basketball in general.

-ML
Is this the final schedule, Mike? Or is there a chance another game might be added?
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... e-schedule

'URI has one open date remaining on its schedule, one that could be filled as late as mid-September. That’s when Iona was added last season, a game that turned out to be an overtime thriller against the MAAC’s automatic NCAA qualifier.'

Guys, I know some of you aren't in the habit of reading the Journal or checking the website. I know you have your reasons. But a lot of your questions would be answered if you followed closely, and there are plenty of posters here who can vouch for my work covering this team over the past several seasons. Thanks.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

-ML
Mike - I think it's so awesome that the program "gets it" by you posting on this board. That outreach is incredibly important and much appreciated. Couple of questions for you, what games are buy games vs home for homes and what's the strategy behind that for the program at this time?
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

From the Projo article:
"URI will not play a true road game on November 29 when they visit NIT finalist Valparasio."
What does this mean? Where are they playing? Maybe a typo?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

-ML
Mike, Thanks for taking the time out to answer our questions.

I'm sure there was much effort in trying to get a P5 school to come to The Ryan Center this year, as if I remember correctly, you stated before last season that discussions were already taken place in trying to schedule a P5 for this year at home.

How close were were to getting a P5 school in this year as part of a H&H or multi year series, and what reasons were provided by the schools as to why they did not agree to play us?
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

860_rhody wrote:From the Projo article:
"URI will not play a true road game on November 29 when they visit NIT finalist Valparasio."
What does this mean? Where are they playing? Maybe a typo?
I assume that should say "until November 29"
0 x