2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by bigappleram »

A handful of regional programs (UMass, BC, PC, UConn) would probably say the same about Harvard, as well as some national ones. A good observation, but lots of things have to line up that are beyond our control.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Agreed, just hope it happens.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote:A handful of regional programs (UMass, BC, PC, UConn) would probably say the same about Harvard, as well as some national ones. A good observation, but lots of things have to line up that are beyond our control.
Not sure UConn and BC have any more interest in playing Harvard than they do in playing URI? They don't really need the game and it's kinda risky. Seems a Harvard game would be a much more desirable 'get' for UMass/URI than the other 3?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's peer school and fellow A-10 member, the 1800 student St. Bonaventure University located in bustling Olean, NY, also continues to have issues putting together a schedule:

Butler: NCAA snub doesn’t alter Bona schedule
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 11:00 am
Olean Times Herald

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/ ... 0dbca.html
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:URI's peer school and fellow A-10 member, the 1800 student St. Bonaventure University located in bustling Olean, NY, also continues to have issues putting together a schedule.
The St. Bonaventure that won the conference last year and the A10 tournament in 2012 and has been to the NCAA tournament twice since URI has? Yes, OOC scheduling is tough in the A10.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yikes, going to bat for the Bonnies? on Keaney Blue?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yikes, going to bat for the Bonnies? on Keaney Blue?
I'm going to bat against snide comments regarding scheduling. Other than Mark Schmidt and his scooter (especially Mark Schmidt falling off his scooter), I don't care that much one way or the other about St. Bonaventure.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Harvard would be a great add if we can get them
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I can think of one game to add to this list.
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1668 ... ts-history
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Surprised UNI up 12 with 44 secs left with a sweet 16 berth on the line is not in top 10
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rothstein predicts PC to finish next to last in BE - not good for our RPI

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Big East Preseason Power Rankings: Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, Butler, Marquette, Providence, DePaul.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Who gives a shit about our RPI - as I've said before, RPI is a way to back into how good a team is. If you're good, your RPI will take care of itself. If you're bad, same thing. I am rooting for PC to come in last. If we are good enough to be a tournament team, PC being bad won't keep us out.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I always want PC to be 0-31. Totally agree with TP.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

7th and 8th place finishes in last years Big East standings were RPIs of 106 and 111.......That shouldn't hurt that much.

PC doing well helps us. Isn't that the goal?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hey, I want PC to lose every game in every sport. I don't buy into the RPI much and think that the Conference Results are powerful in making or breaking the NCAA Tournament. But me rooting or not rooting for PC is just self fulfilling, naturally it has zero impact on what they actually do (unless my booing distracts the FT shooter). But all of that root for PC to do well and RPI stuff has been debated forever on this board and everyone knows where everyone stands.

I only was sharing Rothstein's Preseason Top 10 as he just completed a review of the BE, just as he earlier completed a review of the A10.
Interesting that January 5th of this year PC was ranked 8th in the Nation - now they are ranked 9th in their own Conference just 7 months later. Cooley landed most of his recruits for this year in the late signing period of May - and of course the Class of 2016 is by then pretty well picked over.
But the game with PC will be much different this year. Going from 8th Ranked Nationally to bottom of their own Conference. PC's RPI will be much lower this season. So a loss to PC would be pretty bad. We must break the PC win streak this year.
Rothstein's Prediction:
1.Villanova
2.Xavier
3.Creighton
4.Seton Hall
5.Georgetown
6.St. John's
7.Butler
8.Marquette
9.Providence
10.DePaul
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Hall of fame tipoff times were just announced. Duke Penn State at 1230 and URI cincy at 3. Sunday the championship is at 1 with the third place game at 330
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Patriots will have a 4:00 game in San Francisco so another reason why we really want to beat Cincinnati. In case we needed another one
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

"And then there is the Hall of Fame Tip-Off tournament at Mohegan Sun Arena, where Duke gets Penn State (meh) in the opener before facing off with either Cincinnati or Rhode Island, both of whom are borderline top 25 teams. That game should be competitive, especially if Duke plays URI and the URI faithful make the hour drive to see the Rams play Duke, but it’s a sad state of affairs when the third or fourth best game that Duke will play in the first six weeks of the season is one that we hope will be competitive."
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know it's easy to get hung up on the Rhody reference, but his main point about scheduling is spot on and is reflective of how difficult it is for conferences like the A10. Complain all you want about who is or isn't coming to the Ryan Center, but thats the reality for countless programs right now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The thing that caught my eye in the Rhody part was mentioning how crucial it is for Rhody fans to make the trip for those two games. We have to pack the place.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

A Duke final will be a sellout regardless of who they play.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Do URI season ticket holders get any preference for Tickets to this tournament?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:A Duke final will be a sellout regardless of who they play.
I do not know if that is necessarily true. This tournament does not usually draw well. Even blue blood Kentucky played to small crowds a few years ago. Their 2012 games vs Penn State and Old Dominion drew 4,755 and 4,128 in Uncasville. I think some of the best crowds in its history were for games involving PC a few years ago. It has been difficult many years just to find tournament attendance numbers for the MH games as they are not usually made public with the box scores. My assumption is they are embarrassed by the numbers and don't want to release them. They try to have some local teams to help drive attendance. That is why URI will be making its second appearance.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RF1 wrote:That is why uri will be making its second appearance.
Isn't this their third? Played OK St one year & OSU another.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

spookydog wrote:
The OK ST game was not part of the tip off tourney. Was just a neutral court game scheduled because Travis Ford was to scared to play at the Ryan center. URI did a return trip the next year in Oklahoma city
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah we did play Ohio state at Mohegan.
We had a good seven thousand for the Oklahoma state game.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it was over winter break as well. It was a close exciting game if I remember correctly
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jmck wrote:
spookydog wrote:
The OK ST game was not part of the tip off tourney. Was just a neutral court game scheduled because Travis Ford was to scared to play at the Ryan center. URI did a return trip the next year in Oklahoma city

The URI game with Oklahoma State was one of the highest attended college games at Mohegan Sun. That is the reason URI has been afterward asked back to two HOF Tournaments.

Mohegan Sun had a relationship with UMass where the Minutemen played many games there over the years. The opponent was often the local Central CT State U. The numbers were always horrible. I actually think that is one of the reasons that Ford agreed to have OK State play URI there. He had seen what a morgue it was with UMass. He was probably very surprised by URI having a very decided home court advantage when his Cowboys lost to our Rams.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The ACC has reportedly pulled out of any A10-ACC games for this season. I'm sure there were enough clauses in the contract to make this acceptable, but that's tough. Meanwhile, the tournament is still headed to Pittsburgh.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Wow, brutal. I've been a big fan of how the A10's been run under McGlade, but this seems like a major blunder.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

F**k the ACC.
Bunch of cowards.
Can't believe there are no ACC A-10 games whatsoever.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Umass just signed a home and home with Temple starting this year, this is exactly the kind of agreements that we need. Feels like we're struggling to get these kind of deals but Umass might be leveraging it's football schedule in some of these deals as well so who knows.

Anybody have any inside knowledge on who the potentials are for the last couple of slots for this year?
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

ace wrote:The ACC has reportedly pulled out of any A10-ACC games for this season. I'm sure there were enough clauses in the contract to make this acceptable, but that's tough. Meanwhile, the tournament is still headed to Pittsburgh.
We will just have to beat Duke for revenge for the A10
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:Umass just signed a home and home with Temple starting this year, this is exactly the kind of agreements that we need. Feels like we're struggling to get these kind of deals but Umass might be leveraging it's football schedule in some of these deals as well so who knows.

Anybody have any inside knowledge on who the potentials are for the last couple of slots for this year?
UMass is putting together a slate of good opponents for the next several years. They have games this season with Mississippi, Temple, Harvard, and Providence which are all part of home and home series. They just agreed to a three game series vs Holy Cross with two home games at the Mullins Center and a game in Worcester at the DCU Center. They never step foot on the HC campus and don't pay the Crusaders any money as with a buy game. In addition, Umass will start home and homes over the next few years with Georgia and South Carolina. As for tournaments, they will compete in the 2017-18 Barclays Center Classic (Brooklyn, New York), alongside Alabama and BYU, during Thanksgiving week. In 2019-20, the Minutemen will participate in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Tipoff.

http://www.umassathletics.com/landing.aspx
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Yea Umass is doing well for itself, wonder why we are struggling so much with the program we have to still secure decent home and homes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seems like....If they had "won the games they had" over the last couple years...the games they "aren't getting" wouldn't be a factor?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:Yea Umass is doing well for itself, wonder why we are struggling so much with the program we have to still secure decent home and homes.

I guess the fact that UMass has had one NCAA appearance in this millennium (2014), their only since 1998, makes them super attractive as an opponent. ;)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Don't be surprised if you see a change in the HOF opponents for URI. NY Gov Cuomo's executive order bars state schools from playing in NC because of the HB2 law (which many view as against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people). Albany was to play at Duke in an early HOF campus round game. They cannot however and have backed out. I would therefore not be surprised if one of URI's tourney home opponents (Marist or Brown) was replaced with Albany.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote:Don't be surprised if you see a change in the HOF opponents for URI. NY Gov Cuomo's executive order bars state schools from playing in NC because of the HB2 law (which many view as against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people). Albany was to play at Duke in an early HOF campus round game. They cannot however and have backed out. I would therefore not be surprised if one of URI's tourney home opponents (Marist or Brown) was replaced with Albany.
Wow, never heard of that kinda issue in regards to scheduling for college basketball games.
So I guess the NCAA tournament committee can't place a New York team in a NC region.

Marist is from NY as well, so we might switch Brown for Albany. And I guess we would then reschedule the Brown game and lose a open slot for someone potentially better.
They'll probably switch Albany out for someone else.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote:
RF1 wrote:Don't be surprised if you see a change in the HOF opponents for URI. NY Gov Cuomo's executive order bars state schools from playing in NC because of the HB2 law (which many view as against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people). Albany was to play at Duke in an early HOF campus round game. They cannot however and have backed out. I would therefore not be surprised if one of URI's tourney home opponents (Marist or Brown) was replaced with Albany.
Wow, never heard of that kinda issue in regards to scheduling for college basketball games.
So I guess the NCAA tournament committee can't place a New York team in a NC region.

Marist is from NY as well, so we might switch Brown for Albany. And I guess we would then reschedule the Brown game and lose a open slot for someone potentially better.
They'll probably switch Albany out for someone else.

The executive order only pertains to public state colleges. Marist is a private school with no such restrictions.

As a side note, I believe that the NCAA has hinted to NC that it will not consider the state for tournament sites (not yet committed to) while this law remains in effect.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... nt-bidding
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Cowardly move on the surface. But with the number of ACC teams in North Carolina, I wonder if it is not a bit of (perhaps misguided) retribution considering the A10-ACC tournament is played in NY.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Typical politics, I think we can all agree how stupid this is and political motivated when we can visit Cuba who kills individuals for political opposition reasons and yet can't visit North Carolina due to some bathroom law. Considering both individuals making those calls are from the same political party, it makes even less sense..
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn this arrogant ACC I hope BC goes winless again
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Typical politics, I think we can all agree how stupid this is and political motivated when we can visit Cuba who kills individuals for political opposition reasons and yet can't visit North Carolina due to some bathroom law. Considering both individuals making those calls are from the same political party, it makes even less sense..
Wait....there's a hot mess and politics are involved? Whaaaaaaat? :roll:
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Typical politics, I think we can all agree how stupid this is and political motivated when we can visit Cuba who kills individuals for political opposition reasons and yet can't visit North Carolina due to some bathroom law. Considering both individuals making those calls are from the same political party, it makes even less sense..
Wait....there's a hot mess and politics are involved? Whaaaaaaat? :roll:
Haha seriously!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'd love for someone like Gary Parrish to lay into the ACC for backing out of their commitment to play A10 this year, even if they were legally able to do that.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

La Salle's released their OOC- Temple, Delaware, Texas Southern, Drexel, Lehigh, Bucknell, Villanova, Georgetown, Florida Gulf Coast, Mercer, Penn

And St. Joe's- Toledo, Columbia, Loyola-Chicago, Temple, Villanova, Drexel, Princeton, Illinois State, Lafayette, Penn plus Paradise Jam games (Ole Miss or Oral Roberts and one more, I think)

So nice to be able to pencil in Penn, Temple, and Nova and go from there.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, they pencil in Villanova, Temple, and Penn, we get PC and Brown. Certainly an advantage for the Philly schools.
0 x