2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by RoadyJay »

mlaprey wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I thought the debate on journalism ethics had scared Mike away but glad to see it didn't!
and I'll be tuning in like most of you at 6 am on Monday morning to see who's hosting the D&C show...

Hi Mike, late to the party here.... Any plans for an exhibition game prior to the Nov. 11 game vs Dartmouth?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RoadyJay wrote:
mlaprey wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I thought the debate on journalism ethics had scared Mike away but glad to see it didn't!
and I'll be tuning in like most of you at 6 am on Monday morning to see who's hosting the D&C show...

Hi Mike, late to the party here.... Any plans for an exhibition game prior to the Nov. 11 game vs Dartmouth?
While we wait for Mike to reply, my feeling is that Dan and his staff value the closed scrimmage for a variety of reasons over a public exhibition game.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Thanks Mike for the discussion.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Those scrimmages are definitely valuable... but we've always played an exhibition open to the public... If I recall correctly we've had Coast Guard, Southern Conn., Pace, and St. Thomas Aquinas in the Hurley era. Pace was unique in that it counted towards the record but was essentially an exhibition.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It is hard for a good mid-major to schedule.....no Power schools will come to your place to play you anyway...and when you are good they don't even want to play you at their home...and when you are rebuilding you don't want to go play them and get destroyed on the road....it is what it is......I go back to my suggestion.....NCAA mandates 30 game schedule....no more than 15 at home..13 on road...2 neutral site games....it will never happen...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

RoadyJay wrote:
mlaprey wrote:

Hi Jay - no, we have two of the closed door scrimmages set up. No open-door exhibition games this season.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

mlaprey wrote: Hi Jay - no, we have two of the closed door scrimmages set up. No open-door exhibition games this season.

Thanks Mike. See you soon!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:
mlaprey wrote: Hi Jay - no, we have two of the closed door scrimmages set up. No open-door exhibition games this season.

Mike,
Two more questions please.
Can you give us a hint on who the scrimmages are against and where - home or away?
Are the scrimmages played as regular games with 20 minute, halves, official referees, free throws, etc?
Thank you
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Mike,

Thanks for all your insight. One thing I never understood when it comes to college basketball scheduling for schools in conferences like the Atlantic 10 who normally get multiple bids but in the end lose a bid or two because of a weaker non-conference schedule (i.e St. Bonaventure 2015-2016): Why don't schools (such as URI) go the route that Temple went under John Chaney and play anyone anywhere? I guess I don't see the downside. #1 it's a buy game so the school makes money on it (and even it's not a buy game it can help your resume which will help the school get to the tournament to recoup any money lost in travel expenses). #2 it can only improve the resume and the RPI. If you lose it doesn't hurt your RPI as much because road loss I believe count in your overall win/loss 70% but if you win it counts I believe 130%. #3 there's the chance that you build a rivalry with the other school and they agree to visit your place in the future. #4 nothing can prepare a school for conference play like a road game against a top 25 caliber opponent on the road. Playing at Houston is all fine and well but I'd rather see the school forget the home and home and travel to play a top end opponent on the road regardless of the school's location (go to the west coast if need be).

Maybe you guys have been trying to do just as I suggested without success (you did mention that the staff called all of the top 150 RPI schools) but wouldn't it be more beneficial for the top schools as well to host a school such as URI rather than to host a high 100/low 200 level, or worse, RPI team? In the same manner that it would be better for URI to host, say, Syracuse (I'm speaking hypothetically as I know Syracuse isn't coming to URI) than it would for them to host Dartmouth.

Thank you.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:Those scrimmages are definitely valuable... but we've always played an exhibition open to the public... If I recall correctly we've had Coast Guard, Southern Conn., Pace, and St. Thomas Aquinas in the Hurley era. Pace was unique in that it counted towards the record but was essentially an exhibition.
No, we haven't always played an exhibition. None last year, right? I think they go scrimmage assuming they can get that last regular season home game.

Pace was a regular season non-D1 game, to protect from an otherwise shit D1 team messing up our RPI.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Those scrimmages are definitely valuable... but we've always played an exhibition open to the public... If I recall correctly we've had Coast Guard, Southern Conn., Pace, and St. Thomas Aquinas in the Hurley era. Pace was unique in that it counted towards the record but was essentially an exhibition.
No, we haven't always played an exhibition. None last year, right? I think they go scrimmage assuming they can get that last regular season home game.

Pace was a regular season non-D1 game, to protect from an otherwise shit D1 team messing up our RPI.
Last year we played DII St Thomas Aquinas. This will be the first year in the Hurley era we have not played a non D1 school to start the season. Not complaining. Dartmouth probably be much of a test but it will be a D1 opponent from the first game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That's what I get for trusting my memory. It's probably because I didn't go to the exhibition.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Mike, are there any plans to have an open practice again this year? Please don't say Columbus Day weekend, please don't say Columbus Day weekend...
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

ramster wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:

Mike,
Two more questions please.
Can you give us a hint on who the scrimmages are against and where - home or away?
Are the scrimmages played as regular games with 20 minute, halves, official referees, free throws, etc?
Thank you
Hi Ramster: while the rules regarding publicity of scrimmages have loosened, it only pertains to *after* the scrimmage has occurred. We are playing one at home and one away.

One of the best things about the scrimmage format is that it is wide open. In the past years, we have played it straight (fouls, free throws, bonus situations) and other times where teams did not shoot FT and simply inbounded the ball as to not completely kill the game flow. We do get referees assigned from the league and have them focus on making calls based on the points of emphasis for that particular year.

Think of it like the combined practices that NFL teams have been using the last few years. It allows you to run your sets against another team and vice versa.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

scine20 wrote:Mike,

Thanks for all your insight. One thing I never understood when it comes to college basketball scheduling for schools in conferences like the Atlantic 10 who normally get multiple bids but in the end lose a bid or two because of a weaker non-conference schedule (i.e St. Bonaventure 2015-2016): Why don't schools (such as URI) go the route that Temple went under John Chaney and play anyone anywhere? I guess I don't see the downside. #1 it's a buy game so the school makes money on it (and even it's not a buy game it can help your resume which will help the school get to the tournament to recoup any money lost in travel expenses). #2 it can only improve the resume and the RPI. If you lose it doesn't hurt your RPI as much because road loss I believe count in your overall win/loss 70% but if you win it counts I believe 130%. #3 there's the chance that you build a rivalry with the other school and they agree to visit your place in the future. #4 nothing can prepare a school for conference play like a road game against a top 25 caliber opponent on the road. Playing at Houston is all fine and well but I'd rather see the school forget the home and home and travel to play a top end opponent on the road regardless of the school's location (go to the west coast if need be).

Maybe you guys have been trying to do just as I suggested without success (you did mention that the staff called all of the top 150 RPI schools) but wouldn't it be more beneficial for the top schools as well to host a school such as URI rather than to host a high 100/low 200 level, or worse, RPI team? In the same manner that it would be better for URI to host, say, Syracuse (I'm speaking hypothetically as I know Syracuse isn't coming to URI) than it would for them to host Dartmouth.

Thank you.
The John Chaney approach to non-conference scheduling is unique. So much so that nobody has really ever duplicated it. It comes down to individual scheduling philosophies and those can't be evaluated in a vacuum. Buy games do provide you the chance to play an opponent from another league and pick up a check, but, very few programs will buy a game they have a reasonable chance to lose. Not saying I agree with the principle, but it's a reality. And ultimately, we were not a team that others were looking to buy.

Very rarely does a buy game lead to a series. We did have an opportunity to begin a series with a team - Holy Cross - that we had played in a guarantee, but that is a rarity. As for getting bought, like any game we'd schedule, it would have to make sense within our scheduling needs for any particular need.

For us, having the opportunity to play three very difficult true road games (at Valpo, at Houston, at Providence) plus two high-level games as part of the MTE serve as great prep for conference play.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Mike, are there any plans to have an open practice again this year? Please don't say Columbus Day weekend, please don't say Columbus Day weekend...
We are in the planning process for open practices, fan fests, etc. And I won't say Columbus Day weekend.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Mlaprey - Any potential for a series with UConn down the road? Or any other CT based schools?
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

CT Rhody wrote:Mlaprey - Any potential for a series with UConn down the road? Or any other CT based schools?
I did speak to UConn, but did not get any response. They had a game fall apart late and posted for a game on a date that we had available and I immediately reached out. I spoke with them initially, which would have been for a H/H series that started in Hartford, but then never got any calls or emails back. They took another game for that date.

I think a UConn/Rhode Island series would be outstanding. We'll keep pursuing it.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

CT Rhody wrote:Mlaprey - Any potential for a series with UConn down the road? Or any other CT based schools?
Sorry - missed the second part of the question...yes, absolutely. We spoke with every DI school in the Nutmeg State, with varying degrees of interest. Was very close on one game - but we ended up going with W&M.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

My guess Mike is that UConn scheduled a game with a team that they will probably be favored by at least 15 points. Any chance you can reveal the date/game?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Temple played those tough road games when the A-10 was very weak.....they would go 16-0 or 15-1 in conference and win it going away...they could afford to go 4-8 in their non-con sched.....those days are gone in the A-10
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

mlaprey wrote:
Sorry - missed the second part of the question...yes, absolutely. We spoke with every DI school in the Nutmeg State, with varying degrees of interest. Was very close on one game - but we ended up going with W&M.
Thanks for the insight Mike!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
Excellent!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The conference schedule is announced today at 2.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Record number of national TV appearances for conference games this year, have to think we'll be a big part of that, my guess being more national TV games for us than last year.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not sure if it's foreshadowing or just coincidence, but the conference says there will be 7 Friday prime time ESPN2/U games and it's accompanied by a picture of URI playing UMass.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

someone hit publish too early on gorhody

VCU will be on espn on feb 25
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

full schedule

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

all but 1 A10 game on tv (or easy to stream) that is 2/15 home vs Fordham
5 A10 game on ESPN networks (plus the HoF Tip Off)
4 on NBCSN
6 on CBSSN
2 on ASN
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ok, I am officially fired up now!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is there any chance Cox picks up any or all of the games that aren't currently scheduled to be on TV?

I don't get Cox, but I buy the streaming package. Need that, especially for the opener against Dartmouth, because I will be out of town.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

There's gonna be so much Rhody on my TV this winter :)
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Don't like the 230 start time vs UMASS on Jan 15. The NFL will have divisional playoff games that day at 1 and 4. Pats will play at either 4:30 on that Saturday or 4:30 on sunday

Other than that l like the Friday night games
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Valpo, Prov, and Houston games should probably make it on TV as well.
FS1 will in all likelihood carry the PC game.
ESPN3 will stream the valpo and Houston games I'd bet. Their conferences have deals with ESPN.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Last year I remember the TV schedule was consistently updated until the start of the season. I'm sure OSN will be picking up some games.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

A lot of TV which is really good for the program. The only thing I personally don't like is the 6 games on CBSSN. They don't stream anything. �
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pretty darn exciting stuff!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Is there any chance Cox picks up any or all of the games that aren't currently scheduled to be on TV?

I don't get Cox, but I buy the streaming package. Need that, especially for the opener against Dartmouth, because I will be out of town.
Yes, the non-conf games are not yet settled as far as TV coverage. This was just an announcement on A-10 games across ESPN/CBS/NBC/ASN.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is one of the many great reasons to be an American, I'm dying to watch college basketball, in the mean while I'll just watch some football and baseball. BUT this schedule gets me pumped.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It won't take long, with this schedule, to find out just how good we'll be this season.

This season should be titled, "The No More Moral Victories Tour".

Win most of the close ones, against good teams especially. That's all I'm going to say on this subject until the games are about to start......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote:There's gonna be so much Rhody on my TV this winter :)
Yep. The TV schedule is outstanding both across the league and especially for Rhody. It's been a continual upgrade over the last few years. The conference schedule also shows a growing respect for the program- no more back to back Philly road trips anymore, for example.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Still waiting on someone to say how us being on TV so much is a bad thing for the program..always seems to be one or two who try to justify that for whatever reason... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Although many games are on TV....here's hoping Ace makes it up to a game at Ryan this year....my current wife and I will take her to dinner at an "only in RI type restaurant"....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is fantastic news I am fired up
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Outstanding !

RHODY
RHODY
RHODY

RAMS
RAMS
RAMS
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

I wish @ UMass was on a weekend, but oh well.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Feb 25. VCU in Kingston, if all goes well prior, thats gonna be one HELL of a barn burner. Possibly ticket punching type.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Although many games are on TV....here's hoping Ace makes it up to a game at Ryan this year....my current wife and I will take her to dinner at an "only in RI type restaurant"....
Yeah, sure hope Ace can make it up for a game even if we don't know about it.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Any word on if we're going to fill that extra game slot?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.