2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by CT Rhody »

So Umass mentioned which turned into an article that they are "close" to securing a four game series with Uconn. One in Storrs, Amherst, Hartford, and potentially Boston. And yet Uconn doesn't want to even call us back, I don't get it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:So Umass mentioned which turned into an article that they are "close" to securing a four game series with Uconn. One in Storrs, Amherst, Hartford, and potentially Boston. And yet Uconn doesn't want to even call us back, I don't get it.

UMass helped make a UConn football series with BC possible putting off a football game with Huskies so they could play the Eagles (which had been refusing to play them). Some have speculated it was payback for that.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:So Umass mentioned which turned into an article that they are "close" to securing a four game series with Uconn. One in Storrs, Amherst, Hartford, and potentially Boston. And yet Uconn doesn't want to even call us back, I don't get it.

UMass helped make a UConn football series with BC possible putting off a football game with Huskies so they could play the Eagles (which had been refusing to play them). Some have speculated it was payback for that.
That makes sense but they are discussing a four year series? That's more then just the normal home and home payback method. Hopefully we make the dance this year, Dan turns down other offers and stays and then hopefully it will start to become easier to schedule quality opponents.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is far and away UConn's most played opponent. It in fact is not even close as the gap is is near 30 games. Rhody is UConn's most played series at 145 games, UNH is 2nd at 116 games, and UMass is 3rd at 108 games. The Huskies have far less history with their former Big East partners such as Providence (72 games). A better URI however won't help get a game with Uconn. It probably makes it even less likely. UConn chooses to play New England teams when it's odds of winning are very high. They avoided UMass when Calpipari was there and the teams were good. As soon as he left town, they started up a series. They feel they owe Umass a favor and are putting together a series but they also know that the MM with Kellogg at the helm will be no real threat.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The URI PC game tips off at 430 and looks like it will be nationally televised on Fox. Most of PC's other games say Fox Sports 1 or 2, ours just says Fox Sports. This could be great exposure for us.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The URI PC game tips off at 430 and looks like it will be nationally televised on Fox. Most of PC's other games say Fox Sports 1 or 2, ours just says Fox Sports. This could be great exposure for us.
Great start time too. Can get in a few hours of pregaming and hopefully some post game celebrations.

Speaking of PC, I had a brief convo with Cooley at a charity golf tournament last night and he said URI is going to beat PC. Also said he wants URI to win every game except when they play PC. Said he loves Dan and Thor but feels like they could do a better job marketing the program. In the speech he gave he said URI is the best team in the state and talked up the ryan center as being a great college b ball facility and said people should check them out this season
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I agree with the marketing leaving something to be desired. Not sure why that hasn't been improved yet. KMac tweeted today that the game isn't on national TV and is being picked up by some Fox affiliates so I'm sure more info will come out shortly. Cooley seems like a different guy out of season then in season, he would never say that in season.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe so, but if you think Cooley is serious about URI beating PC you're nutso.

Why would a coach of any team say that?

That's Cooley being Cooley. He wants us to be overconfident. Which is pretty strange for a program that hasn't beat them in like forever.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jmck wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:The URI PC game tips off at 430 and looks like it will be nationally televised on Fox. Most of PC's other games say Fox Sports 1 or 2, ours just says Fox Sports. This could be great exposure for us.
Great start time too. Can get in a few hours of pregaming and hopefully some post game celebrations.

Speaking of PC, I had a brief convo with Cooley at a charity golf tournament last night and he said URI is going to beat PC. Also said he wants URI to win every game except when they play PC. Said he loves Dan and Thor but feels like they could do a better job marketing the program. In the speech he gave he said URI is the best team in the state and talked up the ryan center as being a great college b ball facility and said people should check them out this season
Glad you didn't ask him if he thinks the game is a rivalry. He would have wished you "merry Christmas" haha
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Cooley is right about the marketing. Also there's really no reason he shouldn't want URI to win every game except against them. Right now the URI PC game is a great rivalry game but it's not close to being a big game on the national level. If URI and PC were both consistently ranked then that would be a game that's on ESPN more often than not and would be great marketing for both PC and URI.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

There are only 37 or so D1 programs that have not announced their schedule yet. I wonder how many of those that have are still missing a game like we are. I can't imagine going into a season and not fill your allotment of games possible, seems like such a missed opportunity and missed revenue potential.

Anybody have any rumors floating around about that potential last game?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I heard Kentucky is looking to play URI in a special game at Keaney Gym. It'll be a 2 for 1 with URI getting two home games and UK with a single game at Rupp.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I heard Kentucky is looking to play URI in a special game at Keaney Gym. It'll be a 2 for 1 with URI getting two home games and UK with a single game at Rupp.
Rematch of the 1945 NIT final!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I heard Kentucky is looking to play URI in a special game at Keaney Gym. It'll be a 2 for 1 with URI getting two home games and UK with a single game at Rupp.

How good is your source ?

This for this year ?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ElmCityRhody wrote:
How good is your source ?

This for this year ?
I think he's joking, because it sounds about as plausible as Pat Riley in his Cadillac scouting E.C.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

True - I thought of that after I wrote my post !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Impossible, but I would camp out in front of Keaney for a week to get a seat to that game.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Consider the poster.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I mean c'mon guys...relax. I'm actually surprised that somebody thought I was serious. Remember that 50% of what you read on the internet is false. The other 90% of what you read is 100% true.

In a related story, the NCAA has granted Sly Williams his senior year of eligibility and Sly will be joining the Rams as a walk-on for the upcoming 2016-17 season. Williams was appreciative when asked for comment, "First, I'm thankful to the NCAA for re-considering my situation. I still think, even at my age, that I can hang with these kids," Williams said with a straight face. "I've been working out with PlayMikeMotenMore and the rust is all gone. Look out ECAC!" When informed by a reporter that URI plays in the A-10 not the ECAC, Williams replied, "I was never good at math. I was a spelling major."
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote:Maybe so, but if you think Cooley is serious about URI beating PC you're nutso.

Why would a coach of any team say that?

That's Cooley being Cooley. He wants us to be overconfident. Which is pretty strange for a program that hasn't beat them in like forever.
Possible but Cooley has been publicly complementary about the Rams as well ... On the radio show last week he said many of the same things, not so much that the Rams would beat the Friars but that they will have a great team this season and should make some noise and that Hurley is a great coach, they have a great roster, etc.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I mean c'mon guys...relax. I'm actually surprised that somebody thought I was serious. Remember that 50% of what you read on the internet is false. The other 90% of what you read is 100% true.

In a related story, the NCAA has granted Sly Williams his senior year of eligibility and Sly will be joining the Rams as a walk-on for the upcoming 2016-17 season. Williams was appreciative when asked for comment, "First, I'm thankful to the NCAA for re-considering my situation. I still think, even at my age, that I can hang with these kids," Williams said with a straight face. "I've been working out with PlayMikeMotenMore and the rust is all gone. Look out ECAC!" When informed by a reporter that URI plays in the A-10 not the ECAC, Williams replied, "I was never good at math. I was a spelling major."

MY BAD :roll:
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

mlaprey wrote:There are five guarantee games on the schedule this season: Dartmouth, Belmont, William & Mary, and the two games from the HOF tournament (Marist, Brown). We are also beginning a three-year deal with Holy Cross this season, returning to the DCU Center in 17-18, and then back to the Ryan Center in 18-19.
Looks like some of this has changed, Koch is saying that we host Holy Cross this year
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines