2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: 2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think GCU is in the same conference as Trump University.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Didn't know where else to put this:

https://twitter.com/RhodyMBB/status/710146505332674561
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EC taking a jump shot? Nice!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Let's get back to this schedule, we need to beef it home and get some quality home OOC games next year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not sure how you define quality, but if you mean mid-tier P5 schools (think Nebraska 2 years ago) or high-level mid majors then ok.
We likely will have to meet our best opponents on the road or neutral sites. That's just the way it is.
Even that will be a struggle, top level P5 teams wont be banging down the door to play us next year with 5 starters returning.
Another part of the job for Dan, creative scheduling.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Land some top tier mid's and low quality BCS teams. Def need to get creative.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Not sure this goes here, but I have officially renewed my season tickets!!!
Let's hope that in exactly one year, we are still playing somewhere!!!
Go get us some wins, Dan!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodyrudder wrote:Not sure this goes here, but I have officially renewed my season tickets!!!
Let's hope that in exactly one year, we are still playing somewhere!!!
Go get us some wins, Dan!
Good marketing .... perhaps it was accidental, but it helps to build on the excitement surrounding Dan's decision to stay.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dan's always looked great in blue, awesome to see EC, to think I saw him go down and his knee making "the injury heard around the world" was months ago now. Robinson helping out is great too.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If I'm not mistaken, our OOC schedule is pretty filled up right now?

Home: Brown, ODU, 2 HOF Tip Off teams
Road: PC, Valpo, Houston
Neutral: 2 HOF Tip Off games at Mohegan Sun

18 conference games.

27 games, with room for 4 more.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

To drive RPI for maximum benefits you need to schedule the max of 13 OOC games which you are allowed only if you are in a exempt tournament which URI is. So you are right, we have four games to fill out the schedule, but they are a critical four games. To date our home schedule is only fair considering the HOF Tip-Off opponents are not world beaters, so lots of pressure on the staff to sign up some good teams. This past season we had 8 home games and to match that would mean all remaining four are home games. That is unlikely to happen, especially if you any hope to get a P5 school to come to Ryan because they would require a give and take approach and the first year would likely be at their place. Two for ones are also a way to get some top programs to come to Ryan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obadiah, I've heard that 3 out of the 4 games are a done deal, just need one more.

Nothing announced yet obviously, but hopefully they are good opponents, and at least 2 are home games.

It's all about top 50, and to a lesser extent, top 100's. We've got to have at least a few, and we've got to win a couple of them OOC, or else we could be in the same boat as the Bonnies were.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last year when they were discussing scheduling philosophy they said they like to try and get a big name to play at the Ryan Center on the years we play PC on the road. So with that said I'm sure they'll be looking for a lower P5 school that made the tournament, like Nebraska two years ago.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

will UConn finally say yes ?

makes sense on a lot of levels (except for UConn,. I guess)..
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:will UConn finally say yes ?

makes sense on a lot of levels (except for UConn,. I guess)..

I would put the chances of us playing UCONN the next two years at 0%.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As long as Calhoun has Ollie's ear, it won't happen.

Even if it did, our "home" game would probably be at Mohegan.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Obadiah, I've heard that 3 out of the 4 games are a done deal, just need one more.

Nothing announced yet obviously, but hopefully they are good opponents, and at least 2 are home games.

It's all about top 50, and to a lesser extent, top 100's. We've got to have at least a few, and we've got to win a couple of them OOC, or else we could be in the same boat as the Bonnies were.....
I'll reiterate...
Our conference's FIRST-PLACE TEAM had to settle for NIT.
We're now officially in a 1-bid league? WTF?
If the B1G had all 19 teams tie for first with a .500 record,
the B1G would get 19 bids...
Very, very troubling imo.
Our only road to a bid next year might come down to winning in Pittsburgh.
I hope not, but I would take no chances.
Get us some wins, Dan!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rhodyrudder wrote: I'll reiterate...
Our conference's FIRST-PLACE TEAM had to settle for NIT.
We're now officially in a 1-bid league? WTF?
If the B1G had all 19 teams tie for first with a .500 record,
the B1G would get 19 bids...
Very, very troubling imo.
Our only road to a bid next year might come down to winning in Pittsburgh.
I hope not, but I would take no chances.
Get us some wins, Dan!
Silly me, I thought the A10 got three teams in this year... in a worst-case scenario that is unlikely to be repeated...

I can guarantee that we will not play as soft an OOC schedule as SBU did, which is what kept them out of the dance.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The A10 has been 3+ bids for numerous years in a row. St Bonaventure didnt get in because they beat NO ONE in the non conference, and suffered some below 150 RPI losses. So yes, we can't solely rely on winning the A10, we still need to build a resume in the OOC and that has always been the case.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We talk a lot about OOC and RPI, good wins, bad win......but the game that really did St Bonaventure as the #3 seed in the A10 tournament was the loss to #6 seed Davidson in the quarterfinals. When you are on the bubble you really cannot afford to lose in the quarterfinals of your conference tournament - they lost their first and only game in the tournament.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When you're a mid major on the bubble, any slip up will cost big time.

ramster, I agree that loss probably kept them out.

Such a fine line between success and failure....
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

With an RPI of 30 and a first-place finish in the A-10 next year, I'm not sure we'd be a lock is all I'm saying. Our NCAA history isn't much better than Bona's, if any...
Can you imagine the outrage if Dayton didn't get a bid after tying for first?
When was the last time a team finished FIRST and didn't get a bid?
I bet you have to go all the way back to FUCKING FOREVER to find one.
That's why I call it a 1-bid league now, b/c Bona finished first, and then went to NIT.
Very troubling, imo, and conspiracy believer that I am, I will not sleep soundly the night before selection Sunday next year, even if we're undefeated heading into the A-10 title game in Pittsburgh.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You can call it whatever you like, it doesn't mean you're right. It's been more then a decade since we sent only one team to the tournament. The Atlantic 10 isn't a one bid league.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rudder, NCAA history has nothing to do with getting a bid. What counts is how you perform that particular year - how you finish in conference, the A-10 tourney, and the OOC SOS. The latter two points are what killed St. Bona. I do think they got screwed, however, but I don't think that happens again at least not having an RPI of 30. Every year there are teams that get snubbed, Bona was one of the worst cases of that.

Your analogy to Dayton doesn't work because the Flyers would never have been snubbed due to their strong OOC SOS of 9 and quality wins versus Alabama, Iowa, Vanderbilt, Arkansas. SBU had a OOC SOS of 172 and no quality OOC wins other than Buffalo.

Also, you overstate the A-10 as one bid conference. It is not. Maybe in a very, very bad year we may get one bid, but while history shows variability in number of bids, the A-10 has not seen one bid in recent years. A one true one bid conference is one in the lower half of all conferences. The NEC is a one bid conference
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodyrudder wrote:With an RPI of 30 and a first-place finish in the A-10 next year, I'm not sure we'd be a lock is all I'm saying. Our NCAA history isn't much better than Bona's, if any...
Can you imagine the outrage if Dayton didn't get a bid after tying for first?
When was the last time a team finished FIRST and didn't get a bid?
I bet you have to go all the way back to FUCKING FOREVER to find one.
That's why I call it a 1-bid league now, b/c Bona finished first, and then went to NIT.
Very troubling, imo, and conspiracy believer that I am, I will not sleep soundly the night before selection Sunday next year, even if we're undefeated heading into the A-10 title game in Pittsburgh.
You have to understand that Bona was punished for playing one of the weakest OOC schedules in the country, right? And that even with that in mind, every college basketball observer agreed they got screwed - and you know the committee heard that noise and McGlade's comments. So if anything, I think Bona getting hosed this year probably creates more of a cushion for an A10 team next year. Call it a makeup call or whatever you want. It is human nature.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Thx for the reassurances...obviously much of what I said is tongue-in-cheek...

But the analogy to Dayton was simply to differentiate between the haves (UD, VCU, St Joe, etc)
and the have-nots (Bona, FU, Duquesne, etc).
Clearly a St Joe team that finishes in the top 4 is going no matter what, but a Rhody team that ties for first? That better not be all that's on our resume. Hopefully it won't, but I have said for years that if we can become a consistent top 4, we'll make it most years. Bona and the committee just blew that theory to kingdom come.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if it comes down to whether the Bonnies get in, or Michigan or Syracuse, who do you think they are going to invite?

Of course this year they had Tulsa, who had a connection to the committee chair that didn't help St. Bona either.

A team like Rhody or the Bonnies have to be clearly better to win those battles.

Anything close, the committee can slant things using different criteria, to justify [to themselves] leaving the little guys out.

Anybody who thinks this will change, is deluding themselves.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

URI should see what happened to Saint Bonaventure and make sure they don't make the same mistakes. You can't have one the weakest non-conference schedules and lose in your first game of your conference tournament and assume your a lock. I get why they didn't make it.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I thought if the Bonnies took care of business against Davidson, they were in for sure.

When they didn't, I wasn't as sure they were in, but I was still surprised by what happened.

Syracuse at least, has justified their existence in the tournament. That 2-3 matchup zone is a tough out for teams, hard to prepare for it. Of course Dayton made it easy for them, missing a month's worth of bunnies.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am not nearly as convinced as some of you guys that there is a conspiracy to exclude A10 teams. The A10 is a good league. When we have teams worthy of going, they usually go. If a Bona's thing happened every year, I would be a little more credulous about foul play. To me, they should have gone but they put themselves in a tough position by playing such a bad OOC schedule. Hardly any team that would ever dream of being in at-large contention would have a schedule like that. But I do agree that if they hadn't lost to Davidson, they would have overcame it. It's tough for them, but they didn't do themselves a ton of favors, either. It doesn't worry me as a Rhode Island fan, to be honest.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't think there's a conspiracy either...SBU wins against Davidson, they were probably in...

But...since they aren't....GO 'CUSE!!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of good points in a great discussion and to help it along I have compiled a summary of how all A-10 teams finished the OOC portion of their schedule. Here are some thoughts on subject. Please feel free to add others.

1. For schools outside the P5, developing an effective OOC schedule is very important activity and they have to pull out all stops to get this done. This is especially true or teams who have the potential to finish high in the conference and have hopes for post-season play.

2. With 18 conference games, A-10, member schools, especially those with post season hopes, must max the number of OOC games at 13 and that requires participation in an exempt tournament. The financial commitment required must be made.

3. No A-10 school in upper echelon should ever schedule a D2 school.

4. GW had some quality wins - UVA, Tennessee, Seton Hall - which offset their weak SOS. Would they have experienced a Bonnies like snub, if they had finished higher in the A-10 standings?

5. There is no reason - not even a succession of losing seasons - to excuse Fordham for its 349 SOS. McGlade should send them a message.

Code: Select all

2015-2016 A-10 Schools OOC Performance
                      (Sequenced by SOS)

School	       OOC Record  OOC SOS

Dayton	          10-2	      9
Davidson	         7-3	     44
VCU	              8-5	     57
Saint Joseph's     11-2	     69
La Salle	         3-7	    108 
Rhode Island	     8-5	    111
George Mason	     6-7	    120
Richmond	         8-4	    123
St. Bonaventure     8-3	    152
Saint Louis	      5-7	    172
George Washington  11-2	    210
UMass	            7-5	    258
Duquesne 	        9-3	    282
Fordham	          8-2	    349
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Interesting that the last four A10 teams standing had the four best OOC SOS. Hard to say whether that is cause or effect, but interesting nonetheless.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Does anybody know who the 3 out of last four games that are semi locked up are against?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone 78 wrote:Obadiah, I've heard that 3 out of the 4 games are a done deal, just need one more.

rambone, hope you are right, but I did not get that impression in talking to someone close to subject just one week ago. Maybe a lot happened in the past week. I heard Tennessee was in the discussion mix. Can you or anyone confirm that?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I'm tempted to say any power 5 conference that would offer us a home and home we obviously have to strongly consider. I think if Uconn wanted to give us a away and a nuetral like Mohegan, if URI was allowed to control all the tickets for the game at Mohegan then we should take it.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

to add to the SBU discussion, I was pissed at the time, but now that I think about it, weren't they pretty similar to we were a year ago? I think 22-9 on selection Sunday but other than maybe Nebraska (#22 at the time we beat them, but they fell off later) we beat nobody OOC. The only other tough games were losses to Providence and Kansas. We lost to Ga Tech, but I don't think they had a good RPI or anything. In conference we were 13-5, but every time we faced someone in the top of the conference, we lost: VCU at home by 5, Davidson at home by 1, at Dayton by 16. We couldn't get over the hump and losing at SJU and at UMass were also bad losses. I don't think SBU's resume this year was much better than ours last year and no one thought we had a chance to make it on Selection Sunday. Even if we had beaten Dayton in the A10 semis I don't think we were in. So I guess in retrospect, why are most of us questioning SBU's omission when we didn't question our own last year?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote:to add to the SBU discussion, I was pissed at the time, but now that I think about it, weren't they pretty similar to we were a year ago? I think 22-9 on selection Sunday but other than maybe Nebraska (#22 at the time we beat them, but they fell off later) we beat nobody OOC. The only other tough games were losses to Providence and Kansas. We lost to Ga Tech, but I don't think they had a good RPI or anything. In conference we were 13-5, but every time we faced someone in the top of the conference, we lost: VCU at home by 5, Davidson at home by 1, at Dayton by 16. We couldn't get over the hump and losing at SJU and at UMass were also bad losses. I don't think SBU's resume this year was much better than ours last year and no one thought we had a chance to make it on Selection Sunday. Even if we had beaten Dayton in the A10 semis I don't think we were in. So I guess in retrospect, why are most of us questioning SBU's omission when we didn't question our own last year?
We were 21-8.

Edit: 21-8 regular season, 22-9 at end of A10 tourney, correct.

But yes I think we were in a comparable state.
0 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Stevie, Bonnies had a rpi of 30 this year and 3-2 vs top 50 rpi teams. Our rpi was 65 last year and we were 0-6 vs top 50 rpi teams. Our records are really the only thing that's similar about bonnies this year and us last year. Also no one though we had a chance to make it on selection sunday because if you lose every game against top 50 rpi teams you're not going to get in as an at large. That's a fact.

Also for those mentioning bonnies weak ooc schedule, it was ranked 152 and ours was 111 this season. Maybe if bonnies had our ooc sos this year they would have been in but I don't think anyone can say that for sure. So until we improve our sos it's definitely not out of the question to have what happened to bonnies happen to us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're going to have to do these things next year to get a bid:

Beat a couple of top 50 teams OOC, and beat at least some of the top of the conference.

And avoid too many bad losses.

Bonnies had the top 50 wins in conference, but zippo OOC, and they had a couple of bad losses.

A 111 OOC sos will be OK next season, as long as we actually BEAT a few good teams.

That's what we haven't done yet, but it has to start next year, or it's no good.......
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Does Rhody- Neutral Court- Final Four have anything in common for next year?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last year the Mohegan Sun tournament released the scheduled matchups at the end of April, so we're about a month away from officially knowing our games for that.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote:We're going to have to do these things next year to get a bid:

Beat a couple of top 50 teams OOC, and beat at least some of the top of the conference.

Bonnies had the top 50 wins in conference, but zippo OOC, and they had a couple of bad losses.

A 111 OOC sos will be OK next season, as long as we actually BEAT a few good teams.

That's what we haven't done yet, but it has to start next year, or it's no good.......
Yeah we need to avoid bad losses in the non conference and beat at least two tournament quality teams, then do well in conference play to feel comfortable. All the deletion committee wants to see is if you've played a hard schedule and picked up a sufficient amount of good wins without too many bad ones.
The Bonnie's played Cuse in the nonconference last year and that was the only sexy team on their schedule. That's not going to cut it.
We'll have our nonconference schedule suited for an at large next year.
Duke
@Valpo
@PC
@Houston
Cinci/Penn state
Win those and we're in :D
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:We're going to have to do these things next year to get a bid:

Yeah we need to avoid bad losses in the non conference and beat at least two tournament quality teams, then do well in conference play to feel comfortable. All the deletion committee wants to see is if you've played a hard schedule and picked up a sufficient amount of good wins without too many bad ones.
The Bonnie's played Cuse in the nonconference last year and that was the only sexy team on their schedule. That's not going to cut it.
We'll have our nonconference schedule suited for an at large next year.
Duke
@Valpo
@PC
@Houston
Cinci/Penn state
Win those and we're in :D
Win the A10 tourney (someone has to) and leave no doubt.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

CT Rhody wrote:I'm tempted to say any power 5 conference that would offer us a home and home we obviously have to strongly consider. I think if Uconn wanted to give us a away and a nuetral like Mohegan, if URI was allowed to control all the tickets for the game at Mohegan then we should take it.
Agreed. That would be amazing - especially for us Nutmeggers, although that would probably never happen. UConn wouldn't do that - they won't play PC either. They're scared. Hell, I would be too.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UConn doesn't have to ...not enough gained by winning to offset risk of losing?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rams are gonna have to beat a tough team if they're going to get to Duke.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody vs Cincy, Duke vs Penn State in first round of HOF Tip Off.

So much for those "sources" guaranteeing we'd be playing Duke.
Last edited by Rhody15 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think we could have seen that coming, no?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:I think we could have seen that coming, no?
Yep. It makes perfect sense if you figure that Duke is the theoretical top seed and Penn State is the bottom seed.
0 x