Game #9: @ Providence College - PreGame

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #9: @ Providence College

Unread post by reef »

I am liking URI more and more with the points, I hope the line is high and I will pounce
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

twisted3829 wrote:so that will leave them with 6 players (5 scholarship and 1 walk on)
Even if Pee-C has to pull kids out of the student section to play, they're supposed to win because they're THE ALMIGHTY PROVIDENCE COLLEGE!!!!!!

OTOH, it'd be kind of amusing to watch said students stagger around on the court.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Tough one to figure. We have played every team well except against Va. Tech. I can't imagine us getting blown out by anyone based on how we are playing. Will PC play "slow" to save the strength of their starters? will that play into our hands? will PC pound the ball down low, one would assume yes,and we have a couple of fouls to give in that position. I'm guessing this game might be as low as the forties. Will take a win by any margin! Go Rhody!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SGreenwell wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:What is the rule if two players on PC foul out? Can you put 4 on the floor?
Unless the rule has changed recently, you're allowed to play with four players, and even down to two players. Theoretically, if you have just two players and one fouls out, the game keeps going on with two players, but each successive foul is a technical, I believe. (I'm not sure if that's a college, high school or pro rule though, or if I'm just mis-remembering it completely.)

I could have sworn that a couple years ago, in a wild OT game, a woman's team finished with just two players on the court, but I can't find the YouTube clip right now. I believe they won as well - they had a ton of turnovers at the end of the game, but they were able to kill enough clock, and they basically inbounded the ball by throwing long, and having their player run and catch up to it.
You are correct on all counts.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

They would be really dumb if they show up for a rivalry game with 6 players.
But then again, they are the school on Smith Hill.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

rhodyrudder wrote:They would be really dumb if they show up for a rivalry game with 6 players.
But then again, they are the school on Smith Hill.
What other choice do they have?
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

all players must be cleared by the NCAA before playing, you can't grab anyone and put them on the roster
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

This is cute:

0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Even if you have a bunch of players waiting for next year,
you can't excuse starting a game with 6 players.
We have 12 walk-ons in case of emergency.
They had to be able to get at least 12 total players
cleared by the beginning of the season, including walk-ons.
How do they practice?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dunn, Council, and Cotton are varying degrees of injured. Ledo ended up being only a partial qualifier. Johnson isn't eligible until 12/18 after transferring. Did I miss anyone? That's how things like this happen.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

rhodyrudder wrote:Even if you have a bunch of players waiting for next year,
How do they practice?
the second team in practice for providence is probably better than what is thrown out there every day:

sidiki johnson (transfer), ricky ledo (partial qualifier), carson desrosiers (transfer), tyler harris(transfer), and kris dunn when healthy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

peeps4life wrote:
How do they practice?
the second team in practice for providence is probably better than what is thrown out there every day:

sidiki johnson (transfer), ricky ledo (partial qualifier), carson desrosiers (transfer), tyler harris(transfer), and kris dunn when healthy.
We don't care.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Charity game- their guys who can't play against our guys who can't play. Let's do this!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I care only because next year should be great for college hoop in RI.

I think the PC-URI game in Kingston will be sold out in advance, just like the good ole days!! Should be epic!!

Awesome idea about charity game.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

How do they practice?
I imagine that with a school like Providence, with an enrollment of around 4,800, even finding walk-ons could be an issue, without a sort of wink and nod agreement with incoming students. They're not the type of program that's likely to be able to draw players from other sports in an emergency (i.e. what URI did with Baskerville last year), and it's also unlikely that they'd ever have a free, open scholarship to entice walk-on players (i.e. how Malhoit and Mello went from walk-ons to scholarship guys at URI, IIRC). So, with a perfect storm of injuries and ineligibles, you're suddenly down to just a half dozen players.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ace wrote:Charity game- their guys who can't play against our guys who can't play. Let's do this!
That would fill the Dunk. They should set it up for the courts down in Narragansett; loser buys crazy burger
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bottom line, next year's game could make this year's game look like a JV contest. its quite possible only 1 or 2 guys that see the floor for either team will even be a starter in next year's game.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Cooley wanted more players this year....but he swung and missed on quite a few players he was recruiting....he took a couple of transfers as did we this year....

....I will be disappointed in Hurley if he swings and misses next year recruiting (we already have two pretty good upper A-10 level recruits signed for next year) and has to take in a couple of transfers...in the second year of his tenure at Rhody...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramulous wrote:Cooley wanted more players this year....but he swung and missed on quite a few players he was recruiting....he took a couple of transfers as did we this year....

....I will be disappointed in Hurley if he swings and misses next year recruiting (we already have two pretty good upper A-10 level recruits signed for next year) and has to take in a couple of transfers...in the second year of his tenure at Rhody...
..depends on who the transfer is...and right now we're doing pretty well with a juco transfer.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Not juco transfers......transfers from other colleges......and you don't want to live by constantly taking juco's
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Never been a fan of transfers from four year schools.
Usually they leave where they are, due to playing time or conflicts
with the coach or teammates.
Biruta is here because of Hurley. Minnis and Reischel are here, because it's closer to home.
In decades of following URI, I can think of only a few who worked out.
Abdul Fox is number one, followed by Mike Brown.
Abu Bakr has done well for himself after he came here from Duke.
You also have guys like Eric Leslie, who had talent, but were a problem.
It's also tough, because of having to sit out a year.
All in all, transfers are a crapshoot, generally.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote:Cooley wanted more players this year....but he swung and missed on quite a few players he was recruiting....he took a couple of transfers as did we this year....

Uh, skippy...Big Ed didn't get everyone; but he still got a top 10 recruiting class. He also followed it up with 2 solid recruits this year. DH would kill for that kind of early success.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FWIW, the two transfers Hurley brought in at Wagner (Kenny Ortiz and Jonathan Williams/JUCO) have worked out extremely well, and that's not even counting Dwaun Anderson. It can be a gamble, but the reality is that a lot of very good players are now going the transfer route.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sean, ed cooley benefited that a top 10 national recruit happened to be from 10 minutes away...that happens once every 50 years in these parts, and to think good fortune didnt play a big role in that is foolish. all his credit for dunn, a late bloomer who he had eyed at fairfield and was a perfect fit for them both to upgrade their relationship to the big east. those 2 situations are both unique though and wont happen again, its everyone else to judge him on....we will see. as far as our guy, you can only judge him purely on 1 player right now....xavier munford, leading scorer in the league. he's 1 for 1.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Henton all BE rookie
Dunn HS AA
Ledo HS AA
Fortune so far so good
Sudiki top 100 HS
Harris top 100 HS
Derosiers top 100 HS

As for the local kid angle; plenty of locals have left. Ledo stayed. Why?
Ed Cooley.
Plenty of guys forget who recruited them longest when the big boys come calling; Dunn didn't. Why? Ed Cooley.

Hurley got a kid who started in the BE to sit out a year to play for him in a lower tiered league.

Hoops is about relationships with the head coach.

At least I hope so for the sake of the 2 local schools.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

besides fortune none of those kids have played a minute. so as i said, we will see.

and that lower tier will only exist for another season or two bub, your star is fading, the only feather in your cap separating you from holy cross. the big east. dying a slow death. i wouldnt want it any other way.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

seanmc94 wrote:Henton all BE rookie
Dunn HS AA
Ledo HS AA
Fortune so far so good
Sudiki top 100 HS
Harris top 100 HS
Derosiers top 100 HS

As for the local kid angle; plenty of locals have left. Ledo stayed. Why?
Ed Cooley.
Plenty of guys forget who recruited them longest when the big boys come calling; Dunn didn't. Why? Ed Cooley.

Hurley got a kid who started in the BE to sit out a year to play for him in a lower tiered league.

Hoops is about relationships with the head coach.

At least I hope so for the sake of the 2 local schools.
Sean, I don't totally disagree. But if its going to come down to relationships, I'm going to take my guy who is as connected in metro NY/NJ as you can get, over your guy who seems to be doing pretty well in southern NE so far. I really like Cooley, so I'm not going to say a bad word about him. Three years ago I was desperate for URI to let Baron go so they could replace him with Cooley. But right now, I wouldn't trade my guy for your guy straight up. I don't know if you can honestly say the same thing. If you can, good for you.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Somehow, some, not all, of posters on the PC board are
totally convinced their guy is a lock to stay forever, and Hurley will
jump in a couple of years to coach those bigtime schools Rutgers or Seton Hall.
When challenged for a real reason...."well it's well know Hurley wants to coach in NJ".
Really? Well known by whom?
Bobby could have stayed close to home, but turned down the Wagner job to come here with Dan.
Ever been to Seton Hall? Not much of a place. Where do they play their games?
Newark? On campus arena is like 2,400 capacity.
Without the Big East, Seton Hall is Iona.
Rutgers? Where coaches go to get fired. The RAC is in the middle of nothing, literally
in the ground. Not a bad place once you're inside it.
Oh, and URI is a stepping stone job.
Maybe, but Pitino, Barnes and Gillen stayed at PC?
Pot meet kettle.
Except, Skinner and Baron would have stayed until they retired, had
circumstances not intervened.
I guess Tim Welsh would have stayed at PC forever, too.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I can't wait to see the look of astonishment on the faces of the PC players when Brooks ends up stuffing them on their way to the basket. He's like a whole different person this year. I'm stunned. I'm sure PC will be taken by surprise as well. I'm not saying the guy is going to dominate or anything...just think opposing players will be surprised at what they see.
It wouldn't surprise me if the officials hand this game to PC on a silver platter. They have in the past in close games at the Dunk. Hopefully next year and for years to come we can blow them out and make officiating a non factor.
I believe it's currently shot gun season in Rhode Island. Zebras beware. :o
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We can't even get calls at the Ryan.
Some God-awful officiating there, so far this season.
We were ahead of Vermont most of the game, yet at one point, the fouls were
10-5 URI.
90% of the time, the team behind rolls up the fouls.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

i get what PC is... a stepping stone job for coaches who have great success. i'm fine with it. maybe cooley stays because it's home... maybe he goes once the big east folds. i don't care. give me the success and go out and find the next cooley.

i get the sense you can't admit the same. i think the hurley hire is a splash. i think it is also unique for URI to hire a guy that is more likely to use the school as a stepping stone. the school desperately needed to become relevant and that seems to be exactly what hurley is doing. do you honestly believe he's a lifer? that is crazy to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

peeps4life wrote:i get what PC is... a stepping stone job for coaches who have great success. i'm fine with it. maybe cooley stays because it's home... maybe he goes once the big east folds. i don't care. give me the success and go out and find the next cooley.

i get the sense you can't admit the same. i think the hurley hire is a splash. i think it is also unique for URI to hire a guy that is more likely to use the school as a stepping stone. the school desperately needed to become relevant and that seems to be exactly what hurley is doing. do you honestly believe he's a lifer? that is crazy to me.
I think most URI fans feel similar to the way you do about Cooley: if Hurley puts himself in a position to get offered a job that is worth it to him to uproot his family again (which he appears loath to do), then he will have done more than enough for us. Then we go get the next guy (who, in theory, we should have an easier time pulling in if Hurley spends then next four or five years fixing up this place).

It is always amazing to me how some fans can so easily ignore reality, though. On the Notre Dame board there are tons of crazy fans who would bet their lives tonight that the defensive coordinator is too loyal to ever leave ND for a head coaching job (he was a candidate for the BC job and presumably remains one for the Cal job until they fill it). I don't get what it is about some peoples' nature that makes them lie to themselves about this stuff, but I believe just about everyone would jump at a promotion. Brad Stevens is a good example. He's got himself a nice thing going at Butler, and he ain't leaving for Purdue or Vanderbilt or Washington. But if Kansas or Duke come calling down the line he's going. And Brad Stevens-at-Butler is undoubtedly the highest ceiling that could ever possibly be imagined for Dan Hurley at URI. I think most of us would settle for a reasonable facsimile thereof.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Do you know him? Do you know what's in his heart of hearts?
None of us do.
You've read this board enough to know, there are some, who think he's gone as soon as he
makes some noise in the NCAAs.
There are some, like me, who choose to think he's his father's son, and there are more important
things in his life than moving job to job.
His own words,"I'm not a mover. I want to stay in one place and build something".
If he turns out to be more Rick Pitino or Jim Harrick, and says what people want to hear, or he turns out to be his father's son and becomes our Mark Few, only time will tell.
All the speculation and name calling won't settle this one.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, if he leaves for a better job it doesn't make him a bad guy. If it did, he already would be one. If he leaves at some point, all it makes him is a professional coach. I think URI is a good job with the potential to be a great job, but it does have certain built-in limitations that will keep it from becoming a truly elite job.

I don't understand why this is even a topic of conversation, anyways. Why is anyone already concerned about an issue that is, at the very least, years away from being relevant. Why not enjoy the ride for now and cross that bridge when we get to it?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was musing on what others had stated, elsewhere.
This IS a discussion board.
The subject was brought up before Hurley was ever hired,
by people who wanted Al Skinner, because he'd stay until
he retired.
By the way, look how long he stayed at St. Benedict's.
Oh, and I'm greatly enjoying this ride.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if he does leave for a better job it will be a better job than a Rutgers or SH, more like a top 20 type program who has a great history and maybe fell on hard times

That is at least 4 yrs down the road though if it does happen
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Both schools will probably always be a place where bigger schools will look to hire a coach if he's successful. I'm ok with that. It means we are doing something right if another team wants your coach.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

true dat seanmc. i'm ok with both guys having success, rebuilding the programs and moving on if that's what suits them, you're right, it would mean they were the right hires. I, however, see Danny Hurley sticking around until retirement and literally out doing Calhun as Rhody becomes the class of CBB in the east. There will be no reason for him to ever move on because he will make it one of the best jobs in the NCAA as JC did at UCONN, which btw, before he came along was a perennial average program at best, added to the big least to be their Fordham and he only went on to make them the most successful Big East basketball program ever. DH has all the tools to make that happen. Assuming (big jump here) we are learning our lessons and continue to compensate the coaches appropriately as their programs grow I don't see why DH and EC couldn't be coaching the annual rivalry game for decades, giving me great pleasures taking me into the twilight of my life...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

peeps4life wrote:i get what PC is... a stepping stone job for coaches who have great success. i'm fine with it. maybe cooley stays because it's home... maybe he goes once the big east folds. i don't care. give me the success and go out and find the next cooley.

Unique? Penders, Skinner, Harrick all left for better jobs.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

For URI to become Uconn they have to pay their coach 2 million and invest millions more in the program. Not sure I see that happening. I like more the comparison to Mark Few who is making under a million but has stayed.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

You may be right; however I agree that URI and the state don't have the same resources at their disposal that CT did back in the day. It will be tough to resist the siren call of the big time when it comes. My money would be on Cooley sticking over Hurley; only bc of his ties to the area.

Don't sleep on the fact that Hurley sr ran a hoop camp in Newport for years. DH does have a history here
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

There is a much higher likelihood that Cooley stays here long term than does Hurley, assuming both do what the respective fan bases expect....lead our teams to the NCAA tournament.

The Rams will never be able to compete with a BCS football school to keep a coach when he can triple or quadruple his compensation...while pc has the stream of football revenue under the current big east set-up which runs into the millions ($2M ?)....

...if the big east goes caput...and the football money goes...then the big east basketball-onlies will take a big hit in dollars....and if Cooley is successful and can double his compensation by going BCS.....even the hometown aspect will be difficult to ignore and an extra 6-10 Million$ over a 5 year period will make a person think about the future of his family being secured...I know for me the decision would be easy...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

All this talk is making me depressed. Neither coach has really done anything on-the-court so far. Let's just allow our great coaches to do their thing and if they perform so highly that they see offers to move to a top 20 program, then great for us, right?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

My wife's uncle who is a LOOOOONGGG time PC Season ticket holder is hearing rumblings that Kris Dunn may be playing on Thursday. Anyone else hear this?
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Even if Dunn plays, he'd probably be more of a distraction than
an asset.
Some PC fans think Cooley is setting up an ambush with Dunn playing
Thursday.
Who knows?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

a FR PG in his first game back from a lengthy injury against our perimeter pressure D, i welcome that. stick munford on him and let's go.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote:Charity game- their guys who can't play against our guys who can't play. Let's do this!

There's almost as many players in that game as there is in this..Dunn, Ledo, Council, Johnson, Cotton v. Biruta, Minnis, Riechelle, Onyekaba. If we got one more I think we've got a pretty serious game on our hands.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL