Game #9: @ Providence College - PreGame

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #9: @ Providence College

Unread post by ace »

seanmc94 wrote:Michael Smith has been MIA in recent years.
Even as a Seton Hall fan back then, I liked watching Smith play and then was able to continue to follow him when he was with the Kings with Bobby.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is a winnable game if:

We shoot a decent percentage from 3 land, and make 70% of our FT's. I know, that's a tall order, but stranger things have happened in this rivalry.

It would also help, if we could get Batts in foul trouble, so he has to sit out more than usual.

Our defense will keep us in the game, the tough part is the end of the game.

With a healthy Council, PC wins. But he isn't, so.......
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I wanna see the contiuned growth of the way Coach Hurley plays against the alleged tougher opponent. I wanna see the team exhibit the same defensive mindset to not back down in the face of the usual ugly Dunk crowd for these games. I wanna see a statement game, that going forward with the Hurley Force, even in a loss this week, the return visit in two years will place us in the winning two games in a row from PC...............
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

thanks atp, rod is in a class by himself. have no idea of how he remembers so many facts.?? i am sure there are some governmental agencies that could use him!

rod, i think the stove is on. better check that it is lit!?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In last years game, it was pretty close for about 30 minutes of the game until Bryce hit two threes in a row to break the game PC's way. I hardly call that getting run off the court, but that's the way homers talk which is why you are a homer. Now that's fact. But I do agree with Billyboy, you are Mr. Wonderful, sean.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Obadiah wrote:In last years game, it was pretty close for about 30 minutes of the game until Bryce hit two threes in a row to break the game PC's way. I hardly call that getting run off the court, but that's the way homers talk which is why you are a homer. Now that's fact. But I do agree with Billyboy, you are Mr. Wonderful, sean.
http://www.bbstate.com/games/104453/gameflo

It really opened up with 10 mins to go in the game, but PC spread their 2nd half lead from about 4 to 9 after about 7 minutes in the 2nd half.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

vincent council is out at least another month.

if bryce cotton doesn't play i say pc by 4. if he plays, pc by 15. if council were healthy... this game would most definitely be a blowout.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I predicted an 8 point line but I can see it as high as 10

If its 11 or more I like URI plus the pts
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

peeps4life wrote:vincent council is out at least another month.

if bryce cotton doesn't play i say pc by 4. if he plays, pc by 15. if council were healthy... this game would most definitely be a blowout.
So a healthy Ohio State had a 23 point spread and didn't come close to covering. Half of the teams URI has played this year are better than PC, and every single one of those games, except for Va Tech, were close. Is PC a better team than OSU? No.

URI keeps getting better every single game. I'm not sure how you predict any team to have an easy win against URI if you've been paying attention the last few weeks.

This is going to be a game that comes down to the last possession. With or without Cotton.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Any word on online streaming. Cox does not have it on the schedule and gorhody just has the audio link up?

I say we squeak out a nail biter. The kids are so due.
0 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Also - we're in the best position in the world right now. URI is expected to lose. In all reality we should lose. Rivalry game on the road in a hostile environment, undersized, understaffed, young team, new coach...

But....if I'm a PC fan I'm shitting my pants. Because they're supposed to win. If they win, it was expected - we weren't supposed to be a factor this year. If we win - it's such a depressing, killing, awful blow to them. Such a huge boon for us. I love the position we're in.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Without Cotton, PC has two Big East caliber players: Batts and Henton. I think URI's defensive intensity will bother PC's young players.
Hurley has all week to get the team ready to play against a zone.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PC should be favored, but it's certainly within reach, especially given PC's very short bench.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Virginia Tech is getting national press and they are the only team to really put it on us. We have been better every game. 2 out of the last 3 were wins and the loss was by 3. Aside from Batts, who else does PC have that you would rather have today in a game than our guys. The 3Ms are an awesome threat. As our Bigs come along I think we only get better. PC is going DOWN. Hurley opens the rivalry 1-0. A week to prepare against a team that is limping into the game and has not played anyone worth mention? We don't have to be a bad team any season, this isn't the NBA; there is no lottery for being awful. URI gobbles up PC as they continue their maturation as a TEAM and head towards the conference sched.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Virginia Tech is getting national press and they are the only team to really put it on us. We have been better every game. 2 out of the last 3 were wins and the loss was by 3. Aside from Batts, who else does PC have that you would rather have today in a game than our guys. The 3Ms are an awesome threat. As our Bigs come along I think we only get better. PC is going DOWN. Hurley opens the rivalry 1-0. A week to prepare against a team that is limping into the game and has not played anyone worth mention? We don't have to be a bad team any season, this isn't the NBA; there is no lottery for being awful. URI gobbles up PC as they continue their maturation as a TEAM and head towards the conference sched.
The 3Ms are our threats. X has been doing his part and then some. The other two have been inconsistent. They need to step it up, especially Nik.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Odomrhodeus wrote:Any word on online streaming. Cox does not have it on the schedule and gorhody just has the audio link up?
I'm curious about this as well. Wonder why OSN wouldnt offer it as part of their online streaming. I guess it has something to do with it being a PC home game, so they have the rights to the broadcast, but it doesnt look like PC is even streaming it from their site either. Seems like a huge missed opportunity for someone here.

I can't believe the first game I won't be able to watch this season is the PC game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In years past, Cox produced PC home games for ESPN, under their Big East TV contract. I wonder if this game will be produced as an ESPN product with all their graphics or as an exclusive OSN game by Cox.

If it is the former, then perhaps that restricts Cox' and PC's rights for online streaming, since they'd be owned by ESPN.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:In years past, Cox produced PC home games for ESPN, under their Big East TV contract. I wonder if this game will be produced as an ESPN product with all their graphics or as an exclusive OSN game by Cox.

If it is the former, then perhaps that restricts Cox' and PC's rights for online streaming, since they'd be owned by ESPN.
That would make more sense for sure. Too bad they couldnt put it on ESPN3 then at least.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I initially thought I wasn't going to be able to attend, but plans have changed, and I should be there blogging, for anyone who can't make the game or find a TV with the proper channel.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

You can watch the game on Friars ALLAccess, http://www.friars.com/allaccess/?sport=m-baskbl

Batts and Henton are the only players that are BE caliber?

URI has better players?

Drinking on a Monday...it's fantastic.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Will be interesting if he "feels better" come Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:You can watch the game on Friars ALLAccess, http://www.friars.com/allaccess/?sport=m-baskbl
That is audio only.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Will be interesting if he "feels better" come Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.
Yeah, it's definitely vague... "about a week" from the day he got hurt? "About a week" from today?

I say hold a draft, combine the teams, and then go play someone else. Looking like a serious lack of scholarship players for this one.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

so that will leave them with 6 players (5 scholarship and 1 walk on)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

These are always good games. Could go either way. I think it goes to OT.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Adam Zagoria tweeted "Providence will have 5 scholarship players and 1 walk-one (1 total sub) for Thursday's game vs. @dhurley15 & Rhody, Ed Cooley says."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The Rams should make the Friars VERY tired.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

Blue Man wrote:
peeps4life wrote:vincent council is out at least another month.

So a healthy Ohio State had a 23 point spread and didn't come close to covering. Half of the teams URI has played this year are better than PC, and every single one of those games, except for Va Tech, were close. Is PC a better team than OSU? No.

URI keeps getting better every single game. I'm not sure how you predict any team to have an easy win against URI if you've been paying attention the last few weeks.

This is going to be a game that comes down to the last possession. With or without Cotton.
this line of thinking is so irrelevant. PC has beaten uconn the last two times they won the national championship (with relative ease). it's about matchups, not how you play against anyone else.

and with news that cotton is out... like i said i think it will now be a close game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow, a game where we actually have the advantage when it comes to depth.....one sure way we will beat PC? Foul out two of their players.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What is the rule if two players on PC foul out? Can you put 4 on the floor?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

no it's a forfeit I believe
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I wonder if this possibility will affect officiating. My guess is YES.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Friartv.blogspot.com

Without Cotton, this game immediately becomes interesting. If uri can hit some threes, look out.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Has any Keaney Blue poster gone on the PC Board and stated that URI will win by 30 points Sean Mac?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'm going to go with No.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Friartv.blogspot.com

Without Cotton, this game immediately becomes interesting. If uri can hit some threes, look out.
Sounds like built in excuses already...
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Um..it's called being objective. Take the leading scorer and only ball handler off any team and the predicted outcome is drastically effected.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

why start being objective now?

yes besides cotton, henton and batts are your only BE caliber players. who would be the others that will suit up on Thursday? your boy bilal dixon is really lighting it up in the CAA, a 5th year senior who prob weighs 300 lbs by now is averaging a whole 8 pts against competition even lesser than he will face in the CAA. he was a starter on your team in the past and is a marginal player in a middle to lower tier league. stop over inflating your talent, you are in the same boat as we are right now until Cooley has all his horses. modesty might be a word for you to look up in the ole dictionary. you come on here speaking like you are a fan of UK, your program like ours has been irrelevant for close to a decade. thats a dose of reality from outside smith street.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Let's be realistic.
IF Cotton is out, that's a major reason
for thinking we'd have a chance to win.
He was out in PR and missed a game and
came back with 30 points the night after.
Don't count on him not being ready for Thursday.
If he plays, the best scenario we could hope for is for Batts and/or Henton to get into foul trouble.
By the same token, we have to pray that Munford and Powell
stay out of foul trouble.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Or Cooley's bluffing and both Cotton and Dunn end up playing. I imagine the Rams are practicing as if they're both in.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Or Cooley's bluffing and both Cotton and Dunn end up playing. I imagine the Rams are practicing as if they're both in.
How close is Dunn, supposedly, to playing?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Adam Zagoria tweeted "Providence will have 5 scholarship players and 1 walk-one (1 total sub) for Thursday's game vs. @dhurley15 & Rhody, Ed Cooley says."
Who knew that URI would be deeper than any team this year?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:why start being objective now?

yes besides cotton, henton and batts are your only BE caliber players. who would be the others that will suit up on Thursday? your boy bilal dixon is really lighting it up in the CAA, a 5th year senior who prob weighs 300 lbs by now is averaging a whole 8 pts against competition even lesser than he will face in the CAA. he was a starter on your team in the past and is a marginal player in a middle to lower tier league. stop over inflating your talent, you are in the same boat as we are right now until Cooley has all his horses. modesty might be a word for you to look up in the ole dictionary. you come on here speaking like you are a fan of UK, your program like ours has been irrelevant for close to a decade. thats a dose of reality from outside smith street.
Bar,

Same boat? You say we have 3 BE caliber players; how many do you have?
Bilal Dixon started for Keno; not EC. Pretty sure you guys had a few starters leave under the new regime.

FYI, don't sleep on josh fortune. He's a sleeper.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:why start being objective now?

Bar,

Same boat? You say we have 3 BE caliber players; how many do you have?
Bilal Dixon started for Keno; not EC. Pretty sure you guys had a few starters leave under the new regime.

FYI, don't sleep on josh fortune. He's a sleeper.
Oh, btw, when you type the letters EC in this forum, it refers to a future star at URI, not your coach.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ATPTourFan wrote:What is the rule if two players on PC foul out? Can you put 4 on the floor?
Unless the rule has changed recently, you're allowed to play with four players, and even down to two players. Theoretically, if you have just two players and one fouls out, the game keeps going on with two players, but each successive foul is a technical, I believe. (I'm not sure if that's a college, high school or pro rule though, or if I'm just mis-remembering it completely.)

I could have sworn that a couple years ago, in a wild OT game, a woman's team finished with just two players on the court, but I can't find the YouTube clip right now. I believe they won as well - they had a ton of turnovers at the end of the game, but they were able to kill enough clock, and they basically inbounded the ball by throwing long, and having their player run and catch up to it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Sean, we dont play in the Big East, so how many BE caliber players we have is irrelevant. I only replied to your comment refuting a true fact, you have 2 BE caliber players in uniform against us if Cotton doesn't play. And Henton is an A10 transfer, take that for what its worth. I agree on Fortune, he will be a player. But if he has to carry the load and run the team against us I like our chances. Again, Batts will kill us even if he is the only 1 allowed to suit up and has to play 1 on 5 all game.

PS I would say Rhody has 2 BE caliber players on our current roster, Munford and Hare. It's arguable whether Nik could be considered BE caliber for a lower tier school like yours, SHU, Rutgers. Just because he is 6'7" and can shoot. But i'll give ya him.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'm curious; what A-10 school did Henton attend?

He was an all BE rookie; so you aren't giving me anything

If Cotton and Dunn don't play; this game is up for grabs
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I believe Henton had originally signed with Dayton...I assume that's what he is referring to
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Therein lies a story.
Preston had been recruiting Henton.
Since A-10 rules a player can't decommit for
another A-10 school, Preston called Ed Cooley,
and helped pave the way for Henton to PC.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.