ESPN Write-up on Rhody

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: ESPN Write-up on Rhody

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Nice! I'm expecting URI to be on more than a few pre-season Top 25 lists.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I would rather play our way into the top 25 than start in the top 25. Easier to use as motivation. Playing with a chip on the shoulder.

I would like to see us out of the top 4 preseason coaches poll for the A-10. More bulletin board stuff.

Also easier to sneak up on the big programs. But that ship may have sailed.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That article just got me jacked up. Can't wait for the season!!!
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Smokinjimit wrote:I would rather play our way into the top 25 than start in the top 25. Easier to use as motivation. Playing with a chip on the shoulder.

I would like to see us out of the top 4 preseason coaches poll for the A-10. More bulletin board stuff.

Also easier to sneak up on the big programs. But that ship may have sailed.
Sorry Smokin, there is no way in hell we are outside the Top 4 in A10 coaches poll. I would guess #2 with incumbent Dayton getting the benefit of the doubt, even though on paper our lineup will be more formidable. And I want us ranked as long as possible, that's more media attention, more air time and more marketing for the school and the program. If it adds pressure so what, winning a game in the tourney requires a team with mettle.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not sure I buy the whole bulletin board material and shoulder chip stuff in this situation. This team hasn't made the tournament yet, so they should know they still have a ton to prove. If they need those psychological tactics when they haven't even gotten into the tournament, I think we're in big trouble, assuming that stuff would even work. And in college athletics, with spots in the tournament being open to subjective criteria, it's always better to start the year ranked. On Selection Sunday, if two teams are very close in most metrics, the one that will come out ahead is the team that was considered to be better from the first jump ball. Being ranked preseason would be extremely beneficial for both future consideration and recruiting purposes.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hurley isn't worried about sneaking up on anybody. He retweeted a link to that ESPN article.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Coach Hurley will have the team motivated in many ways….You can count on it. All positive media attention is great media attention!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

It's time for us to kick some ass and let everybody know we are the real deal.....I'm pumped
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Also in past 3 days ESPN did looking ahead for Davidson and Dayton.
Promises to be a very exciting year for URI and for the A10

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... n-wildcats
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... ton-flyers
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Just a tidbit from the ESPN Tweet-World…….

Seth Greenberg
@SethOnHoops

Looking forward to speaking at Coach Hurley's Camp today. Have tremendous respect and admiration for him. @TheHoopGroup
4h
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

That's Bob Hurley's camp. He runs a camp each year through Hoop Group at their Skills Camp location in the Poconos.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Bos8 wrote:That's Bob Hurley's camp. He runs a camp each year through Hoop Group at their Skills Camp location in the Poconos.
Thanks for the good info, Bos!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Another Rhode Island mention on ESPN. John Gasaway lists his picks for top 10 defenses, in all of college basketball, for the 15-16 season, and he lists Rhody in the 10 spot. He specifically mentions holding conference opponents to .93 points per trip (best in the A10) in 14-15. He also notes that they are the rare team that creates both missed shots and turnovers. The rest of the list is Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Utah, Maryland, San Diego State, Wichita State, Kansas, and Arizona.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Esteemed company for sure, and like those teams tenacious defense has become part of our brand. #rhodeblock
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's good for the players on the team too. They see that working their asses off on defense is getting them some recognition
0 x