Game #8: Vermont

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Game #8: Vermont

Unread post by section(105) »

Moving on. What's the scouting report on these guys?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Game # 8 Vermont

Unread post by Rhody74 »

They're 4-1, beating Northeastern, Siena, Yale and Harvard. Their only loss is to UConn.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My prediction: It will be a close game in the 50s. Someone give me a line on that!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Blue Man wrote:My prediction: It will be a close game in the 50s. Someone give me a line on that!
:D Very nice prediction.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

First one to the speed limit wins!
0 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Re: Game #8: Vermont

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Seems like a young team, only 2 Seniors and one of them (who happens to be from Exeter) doesn't really play.

They're shooting 78% from the line for the year, they just mayyy have an advantage there.

Not much else really stands out. UConn game was never really close, yeah they're 4-0 besides that but no impressive wins.

Wild guess at a spread: URI -2.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

HobbyBurley wrote:Seems like a young team, only 2 Seniors and one of them (who happens to be from Exeter) doesn't really play.

They're shooting 78% from the line for the year, they just mayyy have an advantage there.

Not much else really stands out. UConn game was never really close, yeah they're 4-0 besides that but no impressive wins.

Wild guess at a spread: URI -2.
I watched them play against Harvard. This game should be a win, but like I said before, I'm not counting on anything. Vermont is a favorite in their conference. Their senior center (the one from RI) has been out with a back injury- not sure if that will keep him out Saturday or not. No one on either side played much defense in the game I saw, but Vermont was hitting outside shots like crazy. Seems like Hare could have a nice game, especially if Crenca is out.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody FTW. My lead pipe lock of the week.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not if they shoot 13-26 from the line again.

That HAS to improve. Has anybody heard from Hurley about their FT issues?

I'm sure they will be a better FT shooting team next year. I would hate to have that issue cost us games next year, when that could be the difference between an NIT or NCAA bid. You just never know.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he was quoted in the projo as saying it was an embarrassment
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

twisted3829 wrote:he was quoted in the projo as saying it was an embarrassment
Brutally honest, he is. Glad to see the new job hasn't changed him!
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Blue Man wrote:My prediction: It will be a close game in the 50s. Someone give me a line on that!
Make sure you add the part about having the lead late and then blowing it to poor free throw shooting, dead legs, and either blowing a defensive assingment or not moving without the ball fluidly.

Signed, your 5-2 URI Rams.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm going to go out on a limb here by saying I think Rhody will beat Vermont by 10 points or more in this game. This team is due to break out. They've played some real stiff competition thus far. I think they'll thump Vermont. I see both Jordan and Xavier putting up some big stats.
After that, things get a little cloudy...cloudy...still cloudy...but for $20 things might clear up. I take cash, check or wire transfer. Step right up, get your reading today...for a low low price of just $20 I'll tell you your future. The Dude is in. :P
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to be a tough game, I see it coming down to the wire
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is kind of off topic, but I will be taking my niece and her parents to the game tomorrow, and they would like to look at the campus before the game since she is considering attending URI next year. It has been almost 20 years since I went anywhere but the athletic complex; any advice as to what I should show them/take them?

Thanks
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

what is she looking to study? I would show her the quad, and the new science buildings (around Chaffee) and some dorms if possible
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIFan wrote:This is kind of off topic, but I will be taking my niece and her parents to the game tomorrow, and they would like to look at the campus before the game since she is considering attending URI next year. It has been almost 20 years since I went anywhere but the athletic complex; any advice as to what I should show them/take them?

Thanks
I just showed my daughter the campus. She's a junior in high school and is considering URI. She's interested in physical therapy, so we walked around in the PT building for a while. That's a fairly new building at the bottom of the campus near the tennis courts. From there we just worked our way up, first looking at the old and new gyms, then walking up to the dorms and dining halls. We then went up to the Union and the Quad, my favorite place on campus. We looked at some of the great old buildings surrounding the quad and the library. So, we covered a good amount of the campus in an hour or so. I'd suggest showing her where her classes might be, depending on what her major might be. We actually ran into a group that had a tour guide showing them around and we followed them for a while but mostly looked on our own. I'll tell ya, I had a blast looking around and reminiscing. It had been a while since I'd seen the campus. Have fun!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks for the tips. She is leaning on sciences, maybe nursing.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I would show her the new dining hall, i forget what it is called actually seeing as it opened the year after I graduated. I've been there a couple of times and it really is nice.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Hope Dining Hall is pretty nice. Much different from the Hope we had back in the late 70s. Nursing bldg is pretty new. Library still looks great. My daughter graduated in 2011 & really enjoyed her time there. For once she took my advice.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

The question in this Vermont game is whether this URI team really improving or is it one of those teams that plays just up to the competition and then falls short more often than not. The Mason game saw a return of the awful shooting seen in the first two games and this was not the result of the Mason defensive effort as good as it was. Improving skills and playmaking builds confidence, just like in the game when you start to build momentum, it feeds confidence which gives further improvements in all areas of the game especially shooting. I don't see signs of confidence in this team yet, so Vermont with its outstanding shooting may prevail despite the home court advantage.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Have not seen a vegas line. Sagarin has Vermont 7 points better in "RPI" minus 3-4 for home court for Rhodt, so guessing uri is 3-4 points underdog????

They have beat the spread in the majority of games, so not really a bad bet.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

3-4 sounds about right, KenPom has Vermont winning this game 63-59. I think we win by more than 5, I don't think this VT team is particularly good.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Game time...lets get this first home win.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Game is about a minute from starting - They're doing lineups now. Follow along with our live chat: http://narragansett.patch.com/articles/ ... vs-vermont
0 x
Plyuri02
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Plyuri02 »

Anyone watching via non OSN channels?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Aaman with a great spurt here late in the first half. 7 points!

Also, amazing what hitting some free throws can do for a team.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

it is SO nice watching this team actually improve!!! its 33-24 rhody w 1 min left in 1st half, they are playing great defense, hitting free throws, and Aaman is having a game!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Big 3 from Munford at the buzzer to extend the lead to 14 at the half. Probably the best all-around half they have put together so far this season.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice to see them extend the lead with Munford, Powell, and Buchanan on the floor together, with Malone, Bigby, and Hare on the bench with 2 fouls each.

Solid, solid first half, keep it up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ok its official, somebody needs to get Aaman's mom to come to every game if he is going to play like this.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Woo hoo!!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Boom goes the dynamite.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody getting a little sloppy here down the stretch. Lead cut to 13.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

AGITA
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

I noticed there's 5 rhody guys on the far bench in jumpsuits... must be Reischelle, Minnis, Biruta, Ifeanyei, but who's the 5th???????? Am i forgetting somebody?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

AJ Kemp?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Way to get a home victory Rhody !

Practice free throws please !
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Yeah probably is Kemp, forgot about him. If he isn't injured though wouldn't he be with the other walk-ons?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We just scored 76 points...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Yeah probably is Kemp, forgot about him. If he isn't injured though wouldn't he be with the other walk-ons?
Pretty sure he's hurt (foot, ankle, something like that).

They do make it interesting, but great win!! Way to get it, Mike-A!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Never a worry.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Another Laugher!! Getting Boring!!

BRING ON PC.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Could not help noticing that Hurley was clearly running out of patience with Hare and his inability or desire to box out. Took him out and never put him back in.

I would not be surprised that if Hare does not do more fundamental things right(Imagine if Hare had AAman's fundamental and desire)before the end of the year, he will not be in Hurley's plans for the future.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

McRam wrote:Could not help noticing that Hurley was clearly running out of patience with Hare and his inability or desire to box out. Took him out and never put him back in.

I would not be surprised that if Hare does not do more fundamental things right(Imagine if Hare had AAman's fundamental and desire)before the end of the year, he will not be in Hurley's plans for the future.
I couldn't make it to the game today, but was surprised to see Hare only had 11 minutes even though he started. I guess Aaman had a much better game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

McRam wrote:Could not help noticing that Hurley was clearly running out of patience with Hare and his inability or desire to box out. Took him out and never put him back in.

Seems a little harsh. Hare had put together a few solid performances but had a rough one today.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

This is reactionary and frankly a stupid comment. Vermont was not a good matchup for Hare, they have a bunch of big slow guys, whereas he is a lanky, athletic type. Every time a player has a bad game this board gets ready to throw him off the team. Give me a break.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have to give this team some credit. Vermont is a decent team. Handling the Catamounts as easily as they did was unexpected. Wow. I also can't believe they scored 76 points! Well done.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Great game!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hare was also in foul trouble for most of the game.
0 x