Biggie, Jarelle, and Matthew

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Biggie, Jarelle, and Matthew

Unread post by sf2010 »

The one consequence of these three departures that has me somewhat concerned is the impact it will have on the team as a whole, not so much the individual losses of the talents of each of the players. One of the best things about this past year's team was the undeniable chemistry, the way they enjoyed playing together, the leadership, and the way they supported one another at all times. Team attitudes of that kind are not to be taken lightly, or for granted, and I am unsure about how that attitude will be able to be sustained when replacing six of the individuals (nearly half) from that roster.

Despite decreasing (or non-existent) playing time, Biggle, Jarelle, and Matthew were all fantastic teammates who supported the team at every turn. I am hopeful that whoever replaces them will gel with the holdovers just as smoothly, but that is far from a certainty. I have full faith in the coaching staff to do their part in ensuring cohesion, but that is the main negative I can see from these three transfers leaving our program.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Legitimate concern, but with a Core 4 in place it seems no matter the number of new guys coming in their is a stable returning foundation and it will be obvious who is driving this train.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Good ridence! Biggie was a freaking headache. Time to bring in bigger better talent.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yup, great team-mates, I'll always remember this team for its 'chemistry', all three were a big part of that. Biggie was no headache! He was quite gentlemanly in his attitude at all times, maybe not the most consistent of players, but a very good team-mate and valuable as a competent back-up PG. As far as team chem going forward I think DH has, to date excelled at helping good chemistry be program wide, it feels as if it's now part of the culture. Everyone pulls in the same direction, with DH at the helm, those who do not are invited to disembark at the next port ie as _____ was asked to do. Maybe I've no clue what I'm talking about, but that's how it feels to me, on this squad team chemistry comes from the head coach. Metaphoric expression; guy's like TJ and Gil are great elements to have when a guy like DH is your chemist. Any of the less often used players could have become disgruntled, instead they all did their jobs with good attitudes as prescribed by their HC DH.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We really don't know what these kids are like behind closed doors......we like to think they were superior human beings.....but who knows what really went on....from starters to bench players...stars to role players......only the coaches really know and they ain't gonna say anything publicly.....

.....that being said I wish the young men the best in their new endeavors and I hope they find what they seek......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramulous wrote:We really don't know what these kids are like behind closed doors......we like to think they were superior human beings.....but who knows what really went on....from starters to bench players...stars to role players......only the coaches really know and they ain't gonna say anything publicly.....

.....that being said I wish the young men the best in their new endeavors and I hope they find what they seek......
Granted that you never really know everything about anybody and there is always more going on that what you see. But by all accounts and from everything we could observe, last year's team was especially close knit. In addition, the three guys leaving the program either lost their job or sat for long stretches of the season, and we never heard a word about any malcontents on the team and we were able to see them rooting hard for their teammates rather than sulking on the bench.

I know that it probably does not come from a bad place and this might not even be the intent here, but raising questions about kids' character without any basis for doing so (that I am aware of) is not really fair to the kids, nor is it helpful to the program for its fans to be doing that kind of thing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Help me out here.. Do we need to wait until April 17th to hear if any big guys are coming our way next year ?

Gotta believe Hurley has us covered here

PRAYING !
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

URI can't announce a player coming until the LOI is signed,
but the player can declare prior to that.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Thx rod.. Let's hope we get some serviceable big men!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

All I said was we don't "know"..... I cast no aspersions.....you're reading too much into my post....you don't know anything about me although some here have vouched for my integrity.....but nobody knows...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nothing to do with you, personally. I'm sure you have the utmost integrity and, like I said, meant nothing by it. I don't think you are casting aspersions. It just comes off weird to say "we think they are good kids, but you never really know." Like, I'm not sure why that is something that really needs to be said unless you have some reason to think they aren't, especially when literally everything we know about this team and these guys individually points to them being class acts.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

My family and I bumped into the players all weekend long in Brooklyn and they are all class acts. They were great with the kids and friendly.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

is Butler staying? he's not on Rod's transfer list in the monitoring transfers thread.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Running Ram wrote:is Butler staying? he's not on Rod's transfer list in the monitoring transfers thread.
Rod's list is for 5th year players.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Oops, right, i did read that. Thanks Billyboy
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Butler is transferring to University of Tennessee- Martin, where he'll join Reischel in the Ohio Valley conference (won't play against each other, though). Good luck, Matt!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Any word on Biggie?
Anyone any word on Hare?
Powell?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.