Dan Hurley Signs Restructured Contract @ URI through 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: REPORTS: Dan Hurley a Candidate for St. John's

Unread post by bigappleram »

First seany, if you are going to copy/paste an article make it relevant. The true founder of Vitamin Water is a Persian Jew who went to Colgate. Repole is part of initial investment team. This article says he wants to be coach of St. John's, and in fact I am sure he will throw some of his personal money at the program and school. But vitamin water isn't investing millions of coke's dollars into a basketball program in the big east. It's a global brand controlled by an Atlanta based company. This isn't cvs, Alex n Ani or Under Armour - all privately held businesses controlled by their founders. This is likely above your pay grade but try to understand.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

St John's must know there is a chance Hurley turns down the offer and it's much better perception wise to get your first choice candidate. Hence why Hurley might mot be the clear cut #1 but we'll see since this is just so early in the process.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

What my hope is, is that the admin and Hurley have an understanding that Dan would listen to a competing offer from URI if he gets an offer elsewhere. That would be smart for URI, so you are not bidding against yourself in trying to determine a market value for Dan. Theoretically (don't take these numbers literally), say SJU offers $1.5 million then you can offer $1.3 mil and see if that is enough.

There is an opportunity cost for Dan to leave. You can see how long we kept CFL, so there has to be a high level of security for him here. But if Dan goes to SJU, maybe there is a 2-year grace period before his job would be in jeopardy due to underperformance? Then again Dan is probably confident enough in his abilities that this would only be a minor consideration...
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Under Armour and CVS are not privately held companies.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Go on and grace the Red Storm sidelines Chris Mullin. How reliable is that coaching changes Twitter page?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:First seany, if you are going to copy/paste an article make it relevant. The true founder of Vitamin Water is a Persian Jew who went to Colgate. Repole is part of initial investment team. This article says he wants to be coach of St. John's, and in fact I am sure he will throw some of his personal money at the program and school. But vitamin water isn't investing millions of coke's dollars into a basketball program in the big east. It's a global brand controlled by an Atlanta based company. This isn't cvs, Alex n Ani or Under Armour - all privately held businesses controlled by their founders. This is likely above your pay grade but try to understand.
I mean, Repole might not have the whole Coca Cola empire ($74 billion net worth as of 2011) behind him. But at least according to Forbes, as of a 2014 profile piece, Repole's personal net worth is $1 billion. That's still plenty and would make him a capital-B booster.
0 x
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

PeterRamTime wrote:Go on and grace the Red Storm sidelines Chris Mullin. How reliable is that coaching changes Twitter page?
Not sure, but the two posters with sources are both saying Mullin is deciding and if not then D Hurley who would definitely come. Both are saying it's going to be done quickly so that falls in line with what coaching changes twitter says though.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Absolutely but his professed goal is to buy the Mets, not fund the St. John's hoops program? Unless I'm missing something. GBG when Plank was pushing millions behind the UMD program is was not public yet I don't believe, think he went public 8-10 years in and then diversified marketing spend as should be expected.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Never heard of that coaching changes handle, zags, vaccaro, brazilier figure to be the ones most likely to have credible info.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I know some guys pretty close to the Terp program. Nothing big happens without his approval. He just gave $25mm last year and they went public in 2005.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For sure, his business was built off the UMD football program. Every major university has a Titan of industry shelling out athletic support, Plank is the exception who goes above and beyond for many reasons. I just have never seen anything whereas Repole is playing that as involved role with SJU basketball. Maybe I missed it. All I see is him saying he wants to buy out Wilpon.
0 x
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

bigappleram wrote:For sure, his business was built off the UMD football program. Every major university has a Titan of industry shelling out athletic support, Plank is the exception who goes above and beyond for many reasons. I just have never seen anything whereas Repole is playing that as involved role with SJU basketball. Maybe I missed it. All I see is him saying he wants to buy out Wilpon.
Repole is a major booster and was a big part of picking Lavin. One of our most reliable poster with sources says he is behind Danny or Bobby Hurley, while the school wants Mullin.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:Absolutely but his professed goal is to buy the Mets, not fund the St. John's hoops program? Unless I'm missing something. GBG when Plank was pushing millions behind the UMD program is was not public yet I don't believe, think he went public 8-10 years in and then diversified marketing spend as should be expected.
I mean, unless the job is REALLY public and the amount given is insane, I imagine a lot of "donations" simply don't get reported in a very public manner. Something like $5M to $10M to buyout a coach, for example, is hardly anything to a guy like Repole. Although he's not as wealthy as Repole, I imagine Tom Ryan has given more to URI over the years than what has been publicized. This is true for sports in general - While the contract numbers and sale prices seem astronomical, overall, they're minor industries that are just incredibly popular. (Example: The average NFL team is worth $1.42B, which would put the league's overall value at about $45B, only slightly more than half of Coca Cola.)
0 x
Rhodygrad98
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhodygrad98 »

The biggest URI story of the year and it's nice to see Bill Koch tweeting about college hockey with zero mentions of Hurley. I am a fan of Koch, but seriously?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Absolutely SG, procter & gamble alone has 10 billion dollar brands. That's annual sales not their valuations as individual businesses. Can't compare a CPG company to a sports brand. P&G is more like a country, than anything else. Numbers are astronomical.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

In response to a previous comment about cost of living- it looks as if it is about 30% higher in Queens.http://www.infoplease.com/business/econ ... ities.html
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He would not live in Queens. I imagine they would live in New Jersey or Long Island. Probably brings that number up a bit.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Love how the always classy Pee-C trolls show up at a time like this, like buzzards surrounding what they think is a dying rat.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Let's start a rumor......Dan to St. John's, Bobby to URI.
The players might like that. The fans would like that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Love how the always classy Pee-C trolls show up at a time like this, like buzzards surrounding what they think is a dying rat.
Like clockwork, hoping That Hurley leaves.
Hoping they get him to join their superior conference.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This thread seems to be heading to Wall Street.

As concerned as I am about Dan leaving for SJU, I'm equally concerned about whether he is shopping himself to anyone who comes calling. If the latter is a fact, we will go through this every year.

We haven't heard anything from the Hurley camp. For all we know, he's not even interested. The day I believe everything I read is the day I stop reading.

I remember how badly I and others felt about what we wrote and thought a few years ago with the Rutgers debacle. I'm holding my comments until we have something concrete, one way or another.
In the words of Kenny Rogers " There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealings done."
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bress, I have no issue with any of it. I like the way you post, if I didn't make that clear, actually you're one of my favorites here. I wasn't taking it serious at all and no apologies are necessary. I thought it would be understood that I was joking around by the mental imagery of my razzleberry to your face.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Quite honestly I would not be interested in bringing Bobby Hurley in if Dan is to leave. Why go through this again every single year? I'd rather bring someone in who will not be looking at the next available job every offseason. Someone mentioned Herb Sendek. He's getting older, I'd imagine he'd be very content taking a job like this one. But these young up and comers? All it'll take is one NCAA tournament run and we'll be going through this nonsense again.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If you can keep making smart hires that strategy can work - Xavier and VCU both used it successfully before their current regimes
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Interesting coaching salaries from last year of tournament teams

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... ball/coach
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am not close to the program or an insider in any way. I am just a diehard URI fan. These are some of my opinions of this situation and the job that Dan has done so far at URI. It is based on personal observations of the performance of the team and TV interviews that I have seen with Dan Hurley. I have not even bothered to read the newspaper articles on this St. John's situation.

Dan Hurley has continually tried to change the metrics used to define the success of the program since being hired somewhat based on his audience and somewhat based on results thus far. At appropriate times like when he is trying to sell tickets or get recruits he is very positive about the future. Most of the other times he is trying to frame the discussion with just how bad it was when he took over. An NIT within three years makes Dan a good coach not an elite one. This team had two seniors (Biruta and Buchanan) among its top five players regardless of whether TJ Buchanan started he had a better year offensively than either Jarvis or Jared Terrell and is an outstanding defender. We also had a good looking junior college transfer (Watson)in the junior class along with three other Hurley recruits that have been with the team for three years and not yet developed into good two way players in Minnis , IFFY and JR. JR has barely progressed since coming into the program. Dan, in interviews kept pointing out the youth of the team. Seemed a way to frame the discussion about the job he was doing as a coach, a built in excuse for not being a little more successful. After watching a few similar interviews it occurred to me that he might be looking for offers. It is probably wise to develop the youngsters you like best but it also makes some forget how little some of these other guys have been developed. It is three years and an NIT. This years team is a solid top 55 or so basketball team. That is an accomplishment for sure. The next step to become a consistent tournament team is a bigger one. Dan Hurley has been a master at framing the discussion of his tenure at URI. He is a solid coach and I like the direction the program is headed and I prefer he stays for continuity (he seems to value a certain type of player for his system) and finishing off this years recruiting class. The other side of the coin is that the offense has been brutal to watch against good teams and he has not been a great bench coach including being lousy with the officials. His niche may be the rebuild.

Dan Hurley has not yet proven he is an elite college basketball coach. On a scale of 1 to 10. I would have Dan @ an 8 with potential to grow as a coach. I do not think that he has yet earned a $2 million dollar year contract. I really can not see paying him over a million based on his achievements thus far. With any raise I would escalate the cost of his buyout so that the additional salary gets refunded if he leaves before the contract is over.

Feel free to disagree and give your opinions as strongly as you wish. I have no plans to get into an argument with anyone on this board over differing opinions.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

scine20 wrote:Quite honestly I would not be interested in bringing Bobby Hurley in if Dan is to leave. Why go through this again every single year? I'd rather bring someone in who will not be looking at the next available job every offseason. Someone mentioned Herb Sendek. He's getting older, I'd imagine he'd be very content taking a job like this one. But these young up and comers? All it'll take is one NCAA tournament run and we'll be going through this nonsense again.
Good Point. How about Pat Skerry on the "hope we don't need it list"
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Herb Sendak??? Seriously. A burned out retread.
Just what we don't need. CFL part deux.
Why not hire Rollie Massimino, he's really old.
Gimme a break!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ramfan85 wrote:This thread seems to be heading to Wall Street.

As concerned as I am about Dan leaving for SJU, I'm equally concerned about whether he is shopping himself to anyone who comes calling. If the latter is a fact, we will go through this every year.

We haven't heard anything from the Hurley camp. For all we know, he's not even interested. The day I believe everything I read is the day I stop reading.

I remember how badly I and others felt about what we wrote and thought a few years ago with the Rutgers debacle. I'm holding my comments until we have something concrete, one way or another.
In the words of Kenny Rogers " There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealings done."
No way he is shopping himself, and this will be a common occurrence.

Dan is one of the hottest coaches right now. "Bigger" schools are going to have him on their search list and he will be contacted.

Remember it's the schools initiating the contact and expressing interest, not Dan
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, now the chief hater on Scout claims he's
got sources.
Some other goon is sooo sure Hurley will not be in Kingston after
this summer, even if he didn't get the SJU job.
Fucking morons.
They're having a big circle jerk getting off on this story,like a bucnch of giggly
little twits looking at a Playboy for the first time. Pathetic.
Dan hasn't denied anything. Really bozo? He didn't deny shit with Rutgers, either.
Can't wait til Dunn leaves. Now that will happen.
Karma is a bitch.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Their argument is iron clad - if he stays they pivot to he's an idiot and not deserving of a BE job yet. If he goes then we are the morons. Just a rotten bunch altogether.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BAR, think about this......we're so irrelevant, right?
So these turds spend their Saturday afternoon, posting about us
and our coach.
That's rich!

Can anyone make sense of this pap?
"Now rod from cranston who has stated more times than I can remember that Hurley and his wife love RI and aren't going anywhere is ragging on me because he doesn't like what my source is telling me. Imagine that? If anything, if Hurley doesn't get offered and stays at uri it shows how quickly he's willing to jump on the first train out of town. How many times do you have to be left at the altar until you realize she doesn't love you? What a bunch of f*ckin' nitwits."
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Two of the many facets to being a low class fan base - and there are many others - are phoniness and hypocrisy and PC followers never fail to demonstrate both characteristics in spades.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

"If anything, if Hurley doesn't get offered and stays at uri it shows how quickly he's willing to jump on the first train out of town"

lol what??

was this drunk posting?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Maybe the "sauce" is what he's drinking?

Gee, life seemed so less complicated a few days ago when we were discussing the merits of the NIT.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yankee fans and PC fans are the same....

Sawx shut up the Yankee fans for good. The problem is we haven't done much lately to shut the PC fools up....

This situation doesn't help.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I think if we hired Herb Sendak I'd punch myself in the eye.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lol thought the same thing had to read it twice - fittingly a moronic statement by a moron. The spite is next level from him and a few others, which I don't understand.

And that's not true - Yankee fans don't despise the Red Sox. Rivals, sure, but not many I know root for the demise of Boston. Pls don't compare PC to the Yankees - one of those two have actually accomplished something to earn their place.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Their worst nightmare is Dan turning down a Big 10 job in New Jersey and a Big East job in NYC.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Yankee fans and PC fans are the same....

Sawx shut up the Yankee fans for good. The problem is we haven't done much lately to shut the PC fools up....

This situation doesn't help.
No they haven't. It'll take a lot more to get to that point. But that's a completely different story....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote:Their worst nightmare is Dan turning down a Big 10 job in New Jersey and a Big East job in NYC.
+1
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

scine20 wrote:Quite honestly I would not be interested in bringing Bobby Hurley in if Dan is to leave. Why go through this again every single year? I'd rather bring someone in who will not be looking at the next available job every offseason. Someone mentioned Herb Sendek. He's getting older, I'd imagine he'd be very content taking a job like this one. But these young up and comers? All it'll take is one NCAA tournament run and we'll be going through this nonsense again.
That is specifically what I would want. Having people coming after your coach is a good problem to have. With even a few years of success, the program will be on much better footing to beat back other schools who would come after the coach. Three straight tournaments and maxed out ticket sales would provide the kind of revenue to make this a $2M job, possibly.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

if Dan leaves go get Rick Barnes ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Archie Miller also being mentioned, makes sense. B
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

twisted3829 wrote:if Dan leaves go get Rick Barnes ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Maybe Calhoun would come here for a few years... He keeps hinting he might want to coach again.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Running Ram wrote:"If anything, if Hurley doesn't get offered and stays at uri it shows how quickly he's willing to jump on the first train out of town"

lol what??

was this drunk posting?
shows the value of a PC education
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bigappleram wrote:For sure, his business was built off the UMD football program. Every major university has a Titan of industry shelling out athletic support, Plank is the exception who goes above and beyond for many reasons. I just have never seen anything whereas Repole is playing that as involved role with SJU basketball. Maybe I missed it. All I see is him saying he wants to buy out Wilpon.
You miss a lot. He's very involved. Anytime the Johnnies swoop in out of nowhere and grab a recruit, the rumor is they love Vitamin Water
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

Dan, please consider the pain and suffering you will have to endure being interviewed, or more accurately described, as being lectured by Mike Francesa (St. John's alumn) on his basketball wisdom several times a year.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

URI_05 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:if Dan leaves go get Rick Barnes ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Maybe Calhoun would come here for a few years... He keeps hinting he might want to coach again.
I know you are joking but I would deal with the devil for two years. He'd take this core to the next level, have enough pull to add a big recruit, and can coach circles around anyone. A Final Four run with him would not be a surprise.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote:I am not close to the program or an insider in any way. I am just a diehard URI fan. These are some of my opinions of this situation and the job that Dan has done so far at URI. It is based on personal observations of the performance of the team and TV interviews that I have seen with Dan Hurley. I have not even bothered to read the newspaper articles on this St. John's situation.

Dan Hurley has continually tried to change the metrics used to define the success of the program since being hired somewhat based on his audience and somewhat based on results thus far. At appropriate times like when he is trying to sell tickets or get recruits he is very positive about the future. Most of the other times he is trying to frame the discussion with just how bad it was when he took over. An NIT within three years makes Dan a good coach not an elite one. This team had two seniors (Biruta and Buchanan) among its top five players regardless of whether TJ Buchanan started he had a better year offensively than either Jarvis or Jared Terrell and is an outstanding defender. We also had a good looking junior college transfer (Watson)in the junior class along with three other Hurley recruits that have been with the team for three years and not yet developed into good two way players in Minnis , IFFY and JR. JR has barely progressed since coming into the program. Dan, in interviews kept pointing out the youth of the team. Seemed a way to frame the discussion about the job he was doing as a coach, a built in excuse for not being a little more successful. After watching a few similar interviews it occurred to me that he might be looking for offers. It is probably wise to develop the youngsters you like best but it also makes some forget how little some of these other guys have been developed. It is three years and an NIT. This years team is a solid top 55 or so basketball team. That is an accomplishment for sure. The next step to become a consistent tournament team is a bigger one. Dan Hurley has been a master at framing the discussion of his tenure at URI. He is a solid coach and I like the direction the program is headed and I prefer he stays for continuity (he seems to value a certain type of player for his system) and finishing off this years recruiting class. The other side of the coin is that the offense has been brutal to watch against good teams and he has not been a great bench coach including being lousy with the officials. His niche may be the rebuild.

Dan Hurley has not yet proven he is an elite college basketball coach. On a scale of 1 to 10. I would have Dan @ an 8 with potential to grow as a coach. I do not think that he has yet earned a $2 million dollar year contract. I really can not see paying him over a million based on his achievements thus far. With any raise I would escalate the cost of his buyout so that the additional salary gets refunded if he leaves before the contract is over.

Feel free to disagree and give your opinions as strongly as you wish. I have no plans to get into an argument with anyone on this board over differing opinions.
DeanDome,
You make your points well.
I agree that I did not like hearing about how bad the situation was upon arrival. I hated it when Baron did it and I don't care to hear it from Dan either. I also didn't care for how often I heard it especially in year 3. I could sat that I heard about Minnis, Iffy, Reischel and Biruta kicking butt in the practices to the extent that we all had very high expectations for these transfers. Later people said well that was because the Baron team was so bad. Personally I think that Dan over rated the abilities of the Transfers, period. So maybe that was part of the problem early on in addition to the cupboard that Baron left.
Another thing I did not care for was the surprise aspect of the team this year. Saying that nobody would have ever expected the team to do as well as it did this year. Not true when you look at the Keaney Blue Prediction Board. Many were pretty close with the A10 Record prediction. Just didn't feel right to be talking so much about how this year's team exceeded all expectations.
But in the end I think it is Coach speak - unfortunately I think of Baron to some extent when I hear that.

All in all I'm happy that he is here and hope he stays. The recruiting is improving.

I thought one of the best offensive games we played this year was the Iona game. I played the game back on TV and the announcers many times said that URI was at its best when they ran. It was the most times I saw the ball go down low and then passed back out for an uncontested 3 Ball. It was the best passing and shooting - and came from a fast paced environment.

I would like to see our game speeded up. I think we have gone to too slow a game and we say its about defense but seems like too many times we are trying to take a shot with the shot clock about to expire.

Very good year, and expectations are high for next year. NCAA or BUST in 2015 - 2016
0 x