Dan Hurley Signs Restructured Contract @ URI through 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: REPORTS: Dan Hurley a Candidate for St. John's

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:DH is not holding us hostage, he's looking at his options going forward, it would be silly for him to not examine the market when given the chance, hopefully he still feels like his best long term option is to guide Rhody to the next level. One thing I can agree with is I'm not losing sleep over it either, stay, go, we'll see.
That brings us to another point actually, do we even know that he is looking at his other options? All we know with fair certainty at this point is that St. John's probably called him. Outside of that we know almost nothing.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Running Ram »

bressler3south wrote:Mind your manners, sonny, you shouldn't be dropping personal expletives on the board. That's the stuff that gets one a suspension.
I'm not your son, if I'm not mistaken we were in school at the same time.

You like making a big production of everything right? I'm just remembering you for what you do. You're productions can be kind of obnoxious but I like you, so I fire back with a big obnoxious joke. I'm obnoxious at times too right? I still like myself.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The longer this lasts, the more likely he is to leave. Wish he could just tell them thanks, but I'm not interested.
0 x
Go Rhody
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ashcat wrote:Coach Hurly and his predecessor were and are the highest paid State employees ever. How much leeway, President Dooley, and not Thorr Bjorn, has in any renegotiation is very limited. We are State not in fiscal turmoil but in fiscal Armageddon. To expect Capitol Hill to ante-up in any significant measure is a pipe dream. For those of us who have spent their careers in the private sector and have faced these types of decisions it’s always an investment versus return equation. When dealing with a State University who, as we all know too well, is a stepchild of State Government and to expect support of hire and consummate salary perks etc. far, far, above any other precedent is nil. In all honesty, if I were an elected official, and given the, beyond all imagination, fiscal nightmare this State is in, I would need one hell of a business plan to justify salary, perks etc. that much higher than Coach Hurley is under contract to receive. It’s easy to say to retain a high visibility, successful coach takes moneys and lots of it. However, does anyone expect the Fast Break, Club, Alumni Association, other generous private donor(s) or combination thereof anteing up a million or so dollars annually for a URI Coach’s salary?

On the up side, should Coach Hurley be offered a package from Saint John’s significantly higher than URI’s and choses’ to decline, at least that’s the acid test (didn’t we say that about Rutgers?) that he’s here long enough to fully establish our program. There’s a risk in that for sure but, if successful, Dan Hurley’s stock will skyrocket, and he can right his own ticket in say, two years.

Lastly, should, Mullin choose not to coach Saint Johns’ and Coach Hurley is offered the opportunity to rebuild another program, Preston Murphy should be at the top of any list for consideration.
good thing the state doesnt have any power in regards to the school's finances and only funds about 12% of the budget. on top of that there are "loopholes" such as tv dollars, giving a % of ticket/concessions, etc.

as for Hurley being a top candidate for St Johns, no shit he is. He's going to be a top candidate for any open job. it becomes an issue when the feeling is mutual
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote:The longer this lasts, the more likely he is to leave. Wish he could just tell them thanks, but I'm not interested.
Jeez Louise!!! It's been less than 24 hours since we found out Lavin was leaving St. John's!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
File this in the NOT SURPRISED category. Who doubted that Johnnies has reached out to Dan or would be doing so today?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ashcat wrote:Coach Hurly and his predecessor were and are the highest paid State employees ever. How much leeway, President Dooley, and not Thorr Bjorn, has in any renegotiation is very limited. We are State not in fiscal turmoil but in fiscal Armageddon. To expect Capitol Hill to ante-up in any significant measure is a pipe dream. For those of us who have spent their careers in the private sector and have faced these types of decisions it’s always an investment versus return equation. When dealing with a State University who, as we all know too well, is a stepchild of State Government and to expect support of hire and consummate salary perks etc. far, far, above any other precedent is nil. In all honesty, if I were an elected official, and given the, beyond all imagination, fiscal nightmare this State is in, I would need one hell of a business plan to justify salary, perks etc. that much higher than Coach Hurley is under contract to receive. It’s easy to say to retain a high visibility, successful coach takes moneys and lots of it. However, does anyone expect the Fast Break, Club, Alumni Association, other generous private donor(s) or combination thereof anteing up a million or so dollars annually for a URI Coach’s salary?

On the up side, should Coach Hurley be offered a package from Saint John’s significantly higher than URI’s and choses’ to decline, at least that’s the acid test (didn’t we say that about Rutgers?) that he’s here long enough to fully establish our program. There’s a risk in that for sure but, if successful, Dan Hurley’s stock will skyrocket, and he can right his own ticket in say, two years.

Lastly, should, Mullin choose not to coach Saint Johns’ and Coach Hurley is offered the opportunity to rebuild another program, Preston Murphy should be at the top of any list for consideration.
Fortunately in this case (although unfortunate in general), the state's financial situation has almost nothing to do with what we pay our basketball coach. The basketball coach is not really a state employee, since almost none of his salary is paid by the state. Almost none of the University's operating budget comes from the state, and not a lot of the coach's salary is even paid from the school's operating budget.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Funny, someone mentioned the St. John's APR.
Dan told me that if he ever had another interview elsewhere,
that the first question he'd ask would be about APR.
He feels he got blindsided on our APR status, and it's something
that's been a problem in limiting his recruiting.
He also said, "No more rebuilding jobs."
Two possible torpedoes to the St. John's job.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

How about we let this play out. This is the game when you have a coach on the rise. It's a test of character for the fans and Dan. If St John's is a destination job for him there is nothing money will do. As I have said I don't think money is the deciding factor here. Other intangibles in play moreso. Let's keep it classy RI, some of the Preston talk is premature and i would have some reservations about that regardless of how beloved he is. We have an NCAA starting 5, hopefully that keeps Dan put.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That was me, Rod. Glad you agree. He said NO REBUILDING JOBS. He's done losing.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good point, BAR. Let's keep it classy as well and understand that Dan's radio silence is just how this process plays out. Remember that it can work out to be a plus for both Dan and the URI basketball program to complete this exploratory cycle.

Two years ago things got really nasty here and things were said about Dan that I hope we can avoid this time around.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Any job that opens will most probably be a rebuilding job......coaches retiring on their own after great success will have mostly in-house assistants who have support, or members of the coaching tree of that coach who have gone on to success somewhere else......

......if Dan leaves it is because Rhody cannot offer a competitive compensation package....and that does not bode well for the future status of the program......and by competitive I mean it doesn't have to be dollar for dollar so long as some of the lifestyle issues can make up for that.....

......If you can triple your income....you would....and get to a program where you can compete for a national title.....I'm not saying St Johns is that place....and I won't get into St John bashing here......I lump them with us as a mid-major in a mid-major conference....although it is the best mid-major in terms of their revenue streams....

....I would think DH would be best served by going to a BCS football school in a P5 conference......Rutgers would have been a better choice....Big Ten conference dollars are huge....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I haven't seen anyone trashing Dan on here.
I've found the Hurley experience to be a very interesting period
in URI annals.
I really like him, his family and his brother. These are very different
kind of folks, for sure.
The Preston talk is just being realistic if Dan leaves.
I seem to recall BAR boosting a Skinner-Murphy ticket after
CFL left, with Hurley being his first choice.
If you don't think Thorr and Dooley haven't thought of what
happens when and if Dan leaves, you're way off base.
We're a message board. Period.
Nothing we write means anything to anyone.
We don't make decisions, we make opinions.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True ATP,
No need to be talking about replacements now.
This whole thing can play to our favor with the entire program.
1. Dan gets a well deserved raise after bringing us to 23-10 and an NIT bid and victory
2. During this turmoil right in the middle of Elite 8 weekend URI gets a whole lot of name recognition
3. Recruiting prospers from the publicity
4. People around the country hear more about our program on the rise
5. People are hearing about URI being the #1 or #2 preseason favorite in the A10 next year
It's a tough position we are in because of the unknown but beats the heck out of the gap years between Harrick and Hurley.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Some talk around among Ram fans who I am in a text group with as to whether DH has a $1M buyout clause in his Rhody contract.....unsubstantiated.....

Rhody admins would be negligent if they didn't have contingency plans for coaches in their major sports.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Running Ram wrote:
bressler3south wrote:Mind your manners, sonny, you shouldn't be dropping personal expletives on the board. That's the stuff that gets one a suspension.

You like making a big production of everything right? I'm just remembering you for what you do. You're productions can be kind of obnoxious but I like you, so I fire back with a big obnoxious joke. I'm obnoxious at times too right? I still like myself.
As far as not being my son, you're correct. As far as productions, I utilized the emoticons because they were there and I was having fun with them. I had never used them, because I don't text and the like. Then I got criticized for that, so I used YouTube. Well, that's that. My "productions" were the ones here, Running Ram. Personally, I got blind-sided with the Ace reference, she being close to the Hurleys. No, I didn't know.
If that's the case, I apologize for being ignorant.

Also, I'm not in that kind of business (productions, advertising, or related fields). Anyway, please accept my apologies and have a nice day.

ALSO: Ace, I apologize to you.
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That buyout clause was part of the renegotiated contract a couple
of years ago.
URI gave into his demands, and that was the quid pro quo.

Ramster, good points on no publicity is bad publicity.
All the better, if he stays.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

DH = Darrelle Revis ? Is the lure of Metro NY/NJ too strong despite his public statements about making Rhody the next VCU or Gonzaga type program....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ace also is absent following losses or at any time Dan is being
criticized.
I don't see anything Bressler said that was wrong. Lighten up.
He's just having fun.

Ramulous, coaches say all kinds of things, that are forgotten in
the light of more money and/or bigger jobs.
As an old girlfriend of mine used to say,
"Well, I meant it at the time."
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As long as URI basketball lives, and as the program goes up and down, on the up trends we will always have a hot commodity coach rumored to be going somewhere bigger, better, and money URI can't match....having been up and down this road before......I would have to say......part of the process.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I can only imagine what Dan's thinking during all this. He's got tons of feelings about the past year. He's thinking about what he needs to do next year and then he gets calls from St. John's about him coming to coach there. And if he's considering it there's bound to be a whirlwind goin on in his head. Going to St. John's would be one hell of a decision to make. Say goodbye to everything you worked for the last three years. Then start anew in a whole new place. That'd have to be a pretty grueling process on someone.
Don't think it makes all that much sense to go. Not enough for me anyways.
Every body wants a Hurley these days
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

I have to imagine that whatever loopholes under the control of the URI internal budgetary process were exercised last time around. Is URI an institution of higher learning or a want to be to be sports franchise? According to Dr. Dooley, the University is operating as lean and mean as possible. So let’s pull a large portion of the coach’s salary away from the classroom. You can disguise the salary anyway you want but it’s still a line item under consideration and a part of an overall financial structure overseen by the RI Board of Governors and the URI Board of Trustees. How many times can URI offer up the revenues from additional coach payout games before the well runs dry? Higher math tells me that say, $20.00 (average price of a ticket) times 5600 paying customers on a sellout night equals $112,000. Not even close. Then there’s Global Spectrum under contract to manage and pay all those nice ushers, police, EMS, other support services. As to TV, public appearance, and radio revenues….its B101 for heaven’s sake and COX acts like there doing us a favor. We all know the A-10 payout in miniscule compared to other conferences for all the reasons we discussed. Please, I beg anyone to show me the money tree so I can help pluck it.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ashcat wrote:I have to imagine that whatever loopholes under the control of the URI internal budgetary process were exercised last time around. Is URI an institution of higher learning or a want to be to be sports franchise? According to Dr. Dooley, the University is operating as lean and mean as possible. So let’s pull a large portion of the coach’s salary away from the classroom. You can disguise the salary anyway you want but it’s still a line item under consideration and a part of an overall financial structure overseen by the RI Board of Governors and the URI Board of Trustees. How many times can URI offer up the revenues from additional coach payout games before the well runs dry? Higher math tells me that say, $20.00 (average price of a ticket) times 5600 paying customers on a sellout night equals $112,000. Not even close. Then there’s Global Spectrum under contract to manage and pay all those nice ushers, police, EMS, other support services. As to TV, public appearance, and radio revenues….its B101 for heaven’s sake and COX acts like there doing us a favor. We all know the A-10 payout in miniscule compared to other conferences for all the reasons we discussed. Please, I beg anyone to show me the money tree so I can help pluck it.
once again, the state does not have a true say in the school's finances.

secondly, please go read up on all the different revenue streams athletic programs have access to. not the least of which are donors, endowments, ticket revenue, tv money, advertising money, concessions, tuitions, to name a few. The money is certainly there
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

NEW CANDIDATE!
MettaWorldPeace.com @MettaWorldPeace · 17h 17 hours ago
I would absolutely coach at St.Johns if presented with that opportunity.
Go St.Johns
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Tweets saying Pitino and Bobby are not candidates. Seems like Dan and Mullin, maybe Masiello, are SJUs prime targets.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't know all the NCAA rules on how coaches can be paid and I don't know any of the RI rules for employment, but would there be anything stopping a booster from just giving Dan a bunch of extra money? Would it be worthwhile to broker agreements between our sponsors and Dan for him to be in their ads? That would get him more money and with a successful program their sponsorships would be more visible, therefore more valuable. Does he even care about more money for himself or is he hoping to get more enhancements for the program?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Also, if Bobby takes the Depaul job, that would seemingly make St. John's less attractive to Dan based on previous comments about coaching against each other, right? Let's go Depaul, you wonderful bastards, get it done!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ashcat wrote:I have to imagine that whatever loopholes under the control of the URI internal budgetary process were exercised last time around. Is URI an institution of higher learning or a want to be to be sports franchise? According to Dr. Dooley, the University is operating as lean and mean as possible. So let’s pull a large portion of the coach’s salary away from the classroom. You can disguise the salary anyway you want but it’s still a line item under consideration and a part of an overall financial structure overseen by the RI Board of Governors and the URI Board of Trustees. How many times can URI offer up the revenues from additional coach payout games before the well runs dry? Higher math tells me that say, $20.00 (average price of a ticket) times 5600 paying customers on a sellout night equals $112,000. Not even close. Then there’s Global Spectrum under contract to manage and pay all those nice ushers, police, EMS, other support services. As to TV, public appearance, and radio revenues….its B101 for heaven’s sake and COX acts like there doing us a favor. We all know the A-10 payout in miniscule compared to other conferences for all the reasons we discussed. Please, I beg anyone to show me the money tree so I can help pluck it.
I'll take a shot at the money tree.......
Rhode Island is a college basketball state. Not As rabid as it used to be but still is.
Boston is not - it's a Pro city and cares little about college basketball
College basketball is by far URIs ticket to publicity, to free marketing, it is what keeps URI in conferences like the Atlanti 10 versus the lesser conferences that I won't go into naming
Even if the A10 were to fold one day we want URI at the upper echelon of the A10 so as to be attractive as possible to other conferences
Dan Hurley has explicitly stated that he wants to make URI the Gonzaga of the east.
His goal sounds great to me and I am bought in
I believe with 1-2 more years of Dan Hurley that the Ryan Center will sell out
I also believe season tickets will go through the roof and there will be demand we have never seen at the RC before for better seat positioning and these seats will go to the highest donors
This is the situation with many college teams
Look at Gonzaga who dan wants to emulate. Elite 8 and could go final 4. That does incredible things for alumni contributions, for college applications, for rising SAT admission scores due to more competition for admission
TV and Radio advertising
Student pride, professor pride, alumni pride, on and on

I believe Thor And president Dooley did exactly the right thing in firing Jim Baron and hiring Dan Hurley. Seems obvious now but honestly I cant take the credit that many here deserve for firing Baron. I was not as extreme in my desire to let him go as, in hind sight, I should have been.
But now? Absolutely, positively believe Dan Hurley was 100% right on. When you nail a hire like this you want to keep the momentum. You don't get this chance very often. Your odds of duplicating this situation with the next hire are significantly lower.
Hurley family and reputation and the publicity URI receives from this connection is immeasurable. I'll even throw in the Bill Murray connection for publicity.
So URI should look long and hard at this situation.
You have to consider all of the benefits that URI receives from this relationship with the Hurley's. Not just the ticket sales, that is small potatoes but the big, big picture that shows URI prominently to the entire US and to the world. Alumni can now watch games on their computers from anywhere in the world.
URI has educational programs in China that are fantastic. Our university is thinking bigger now more than ever under President Dooley's leadership.
URI should step up, take the gamble, play with the big boys. Think big, think long term.
Whatever it takes to keep Dan Hurley here we should do.
If that is $2 million then so be it.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Beeen away from the board for like 24 hours and this?!@

To SeanMc, you think St Johns is in that much of a different place than URI that a fan claiming some similarities is delusional?

That makes you delusional.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

To the point of boosters....
back after Jerry the Clown was fired, Rick Pitino was
briefly interested in being our coach.
For those who doubt, it was on the front page of the Sports section
that Sunday in Projo.
Anyway, Tom Ryan and CVS were to supplement whatever URI was offering,
by signing Pitino to a huge personal services contract.
So, it can be done, but what boosters are in the position that Ryan was in
when he was CEO of CVS?
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

DPS: Have you attended a URI Board of Trustees Public Hearing? I have on matters totally unrelated anything discussed on this Forum but none-the-less monetary in nature. The University Administration does not have carte blanch control of URI’s Annual or Capital Budgets.

Please provide an estimated line item budget from those extraneous revenue sources not currently dedicated to existing expenses or debt service. I truly hope I am pleasantly surprised by the surplus or even potential amount of capital available for our D-1 sports programs including a nice boost in Coach Hurley’s compensation should push come to shove.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ashcat they have absolute control over donations, endowments, scholarships. Obviously, regardless of where the money came from, it would be said to come from benefactors of the University.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

"Something big and beautiful". Dan's staying!! .............................................................................. (I think)
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

SJU plays key games at MSG; URI plays at the RC
SJU has been to the tourney 4 times since 1999
NYC vs. Kingston?
SJU is willing to pay upwards of $2mill, can URI pay that?
URI has talent, but with Jordan, Obekpa and the recruits coming in, a real coach could get the Johnnies to the Dance as well.
Hurley has been able to get great players to Kingston; imagine what he can do with Vitamin Water behind him.

Delusional? Realistic, is more like it.

I still say Dan Hurley is staying put
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Vitamin water is owned by coca cola. It's not akin to under Armour and Baltimore. Coca cola does not give two shits about queens and the success of St. John's
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:
Running Ram wrote:

As far as not being my son, you're correct. As far as productions, I utilized the emoticons because they were there and I was having fun with them. I had never used them, because I don't text and the like. Then I got criticized for that, so I used YouTube. Well, that's that. My "productions" were the ones here, Running Ram. Personally, I got blind-sided with the Ace reference, she being close to the Hurleys. No, I didn't know.
If that's the case, I apologize for being ignorant.

Also, I'm not in that kind of business (productions, advertising, or related fields). Anyway, please accept my apologies and have a nice day.

ALSO: Ace, I apologize to you.
Bressler,
I was one who criticized your overuse of the emoticons and for that way back when I apologize. I think you are one of the funniest, most original, most knowledgeable posters on our :D board and you have a knack for bringing a lighter side to the table when things get rough here. I have no problems with your emoticons or your videos. Fire away :oops: :shock: :D :) ;) :( :o :oops: :P :x :lol: 8-) :? :cry: :?: :!: :roll: :twisted: :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :idea:
I couldn't find an apology emoticon :(
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D BRESSLER RULES! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think we all agree that St Johns by virtue of being in a media capital and world class city has many things going for it over Rhody in terms of exposure....and add in the fact that they can spend close to $2.5M to a coach whereas we cannot........

....we may be burying our collective heads in the sand to believe that DH is less concerned about those things and wants to stay in Hooterville....

....he may stay here.....his family may love it here.....he wants to finish what he started....he wants to be like his dad and stay put when he had chances to go chase the money......

....we will find out the truth soon enough....
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If he makes Rhody a top 15 or 25 program consistently then that would be a much more impressive coaching feat than if he does that with St. John's.
He is starting a really special thing here.
Going to St. John's for the money would just be the lame way to go and in a way less ambitious.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The endless story continues:

Zach Braziller retweeted
Howie Kussoy @HowieKussoy · 3h 3 hours ago
Sources say Steve Masiello has interest in St. John's job and has strong support from higher-ups at the school: http://nypost.com/2015/03/28/watch-out- ... johns-job/

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille · 1h 1 hour ago
Steve Masiello would make a lot of sense for #sjubb, and he's interested
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The Board of Governors are appointed by the Governor. The President of URI is hired by the Board of Governors. To say the State has no say on any aspect of URI is ludicrous. The State has as much say as it wants to have, just not directly - the BOG has autonomy. The Governor just replaces members. Did the Governor of PA have no say about Penn State when the Sandusky scandal hit the fan?

Love Dan. Love what he has done for us. Hope he stays. Please, no more CFLs. He should share in the financial success of the basketball program - but not before. No hard feelings if he moves on when he is hot.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Sweep him up red storm!
Leave our coach alone!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Manhattan coach very publicly wants the job.
0 x
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

From another very reliable St. John's poster with sources:
This will play out within 48 hours. Mullin's job if he wants it. He's deciding. If not its D Hurley. He will take it. Negations will be easy for both. There is no 3rd option
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bigappleram wrote:Vitamin water is owned by coca cola. It's not akin to under Armour and Baltimore. Coca cola does not give two shits about queens and the success of St. John's
Try to sit in the corner; the grown-ups are talking...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/mike-re ... e-1.154503
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

If I had to guess, St. John's will use Massielo as a contingency plan if Hurley and Mullin both decline. Just a guess, no sources to back it up.
0 x
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

Coaching Changes
‏@CoachingChanges
Look for Chris Mullin to be named coach of St John's early this week
#StJohns

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'd LOVE for Chris Mullins to be named SJU's new coach!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!